But Cleaning Up Is The Best Part!

Chances

"If you're trying to laugh, it's not working," Jaebum says dryly while putting out what was left of his cigarette. Jackson finally manages to close his mouth and utter something that sort of sounds like laughter. At least he hopes it does. He's surprised to get a rare smile from Jaebum. Well, he thinks it's a smile because the boy's lips are wider than they should be and slightly curved? Anyways, it is gone as quick as it had arrived and replaced with the usual smug. 

"It was a joke, newbie. You know, a lie. I'm not in love with my best friend's boyfriend. That would be so lame and embarrassing," Jaebum puts a finger to his temple as if in thought, "actually, that sounds just like something you'd do!"

"Right," Jackson's voice is slightly dry from not talking for so long. He rolls his eyes to their full extent, "gee, thanks for putting words in my mouth." 

Jaebum rolls his eyes in return, playfully mimicking him but Jackson's too concentrated on the view in front of him to see. He can't help the sigh that escapes him when yet another half empty beer gets thrown out the window, followed by drunken cheers. Lost in the thoughts of how to clean and explain all this to his host parents, Jackson doesn't see Jaebum looking intently at him with a crooked but sincere smile. 

"Hey Jackson, wanna see something cool?" he asks in a hushed tone which both intrigues and confuses Jackson. He just nods. 
 
Jaebum pulls out his phone, dials something, clears his throat several times and winks at Jackson. Again, the boy just nods back because he doesn't know what else to do. 

"Yes, good evening, officer. I'm sorry to disturb you but my neighbor is being too loud and it looks like a party is going on. I would dearly appreciate you coming down to teach these youngsters a thing or two. Yes, thank you so much. You have a great night too," Jaebum finishes saying and clears his throat to change back to his usual tone. 

"What the hell?!" Jackson explodes once it dawns on him that that person on the other line had been the police. He paces back and forth, talking more to himself than anyone else, "I'm dead! I'm sooo dead!"

Jaebum also stands up, puts his arm around Jackson's shoulder. "Calm down, there is no underage drinking here."

Jackson stares trying to process things which only makes Jaebum shake his head. 
"Newb, no one is drunk. I switched the kegs so people just think they are drinking alcohol. Drunk or not, they are just as and stupid, if you ask me. Do you get- As in no one- Just....stay here, I'll be back." 

Too confused to argue, Jackson watches the other head inside the house. It isn't long before he sees hordes of people running out and heading for their cars. He keeps expecting a cop to show up but since he or she never does, Jackson figures he might as well head inside and start cleaning up. 

He sees that Suzy and Youngjae are already armed with giant garbage bags and hauling all the trash. Youngjae is looking a little too happy for someone picking up other peoples' trash. 

He's surprised to find Jaebum doing the dishes. Of all the things....dishes! Mark is busy picking up bottles from the floor and Jinyoung is nowhere to he seen because he apparently had to leave early. Figures. 

"Thanks guys," Jackson says as he closes the last bag of trash. They just mumble back something  incoherent and go about gathering their belongings. It doesn't matter. Jackson smiles back all the same. 

 "Well, I have to go," Youngjae says and heads to the door, "nice party, Jackson. Too bad some loser called the cops. Err, Mark hyung? Give me a ride?" 

"Yea. I got you. JB, I'll drop you off too. Let me grab my jacket upstairs," Mark's voice echoes the last bit because he is already halfway up the stairs. 

"Sure it wasn't you, Suzy?" Jaebum teases and gets a hefty punch in return. He responds with a noise that almost sounds like a growl but Jackson isn't too sure. He wouldn't have been surprised anyways with this day and everything that has happened. Suzy takes her leave, saying something about her beauty sleep but only Youngjae earnestly responds. Jackson thinks it's cute how Youngjae is so outward with his emotions and wonders if Suzy knows. He will ask later.  

"Ok, well, thanks for coming. It was a lot of fun." Jackson says while awkwardly leaning against the door frame. "Too bad the cops didn't show up," he adds as an afterthought. 

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Mark chuckles as he's walking down the stairs. 

Jackson follows with laughter but he doesn't think it is enough to fool a certain someone. Jaebum scoffs, walking to the door and by default, he's also very close to Jackson.

"Bye, Newb," Jaebum's voice is low and when Jackson slightly leans in to hear better, he feels the other's lips on his forehead. Wait....What just happened? Jackson wants to ask but Jaebum is already out the door. 

Youngjae shrugs while also dropping a kiss, this time on Jackson's cheek, "bye Jackson, I had a great time!" Of course you did. 

Jackson unconsiously gulps whatever was in his mouth when he sees Mark staring at him with a curious gaze.  

He doesn't know what the redhead is doing standing there. Does he actually think Jackson is waiting for.....something? He is just waiting to close the door, it's not even like-

"Thanks for everything Jackson," Jackson thinks Mark's voice is almost an entire octave lower than Jaebum's. When he realizes that he has leaned in ever so slightly, he quickly goes back to his original position but Mark has already noticed and giggles. Mark giggles?!? 

Jackson has to admit the sound was so unlike the usual Mark and yet so cute that he yearned to hear it again but alas, Mark's voice is back to usual. "Bye, Mandu."

"What did you-"

He doesn't get to finish his sentence because Mark is already walking towards his car; acting as if nothing happened, he turns around to wave, his face is beaming with a smile that Jackson would much rather not see at the moment. 

After he closes the door, it takes him a while before he realizes that sure enough it had been Mark's lips against his own just a couple seconds ago. Even though it had been but a slight touch, he can't help touch his lips in the hopes to retrace the other's and try to smell any lingering cologne from the other. 

And then, his thoughts travel to Jaebum, the one that started the whole kiss parade. What had he been trying to do? But then again, Jackson couldn't deny how weird Jaebum's eyes looked when their eyes had met and how he had been before with the whole party situation. He thinks it's the first time Jaebum has been so......nice to him. He's also cute when he tries to act so indifferent but he really does care about Youngjae and Mark and maybe even...Jackson?

All of a sudden, he realizes what he is doing. And of course, Jackson is wise enough to slap himself a couple of times to get his thoughts together. No way is he going to be all lame and like his friend in that way. Especially when that said friend is very much just playing with him. 

There is a moment of silence before Jackson is making really high-pitched and no doubt weird sounds on the way to his room. (Suzy is kind enough to later tell him that it had been a whole six minutes.)

Well, a man is bound to break sometime and today was just Jackson's breaking point. It is not his fault. It is not exactly the norm for boys to be saying goodbyes with kisses. Especially when it is people with names Jaebum and Mark. 

Why was tomorrow Monday?!?