It is a party, isn't it?

Chances

"Mr. Wang, you can follow Mr. Tuan right through there."

Jackson nods and gives his best "good boy" smile to his geography teacher. As much as he utterly despises school assemblies, he is glad that at least he is sitting next to Mark. For the last couple of days, Jackson has been spending much of his time, both in school and out, with Mark and his friends, much to the chagrin of Suzy. Even Jaebum seems to have warmed up to him  and while he likes all of them, his eyes keep going to whatever it is that Mark is or isn't doing every single time. It is just something about the other that continues to reel in Jackson like a moth to light. 

"This ," Mark whispers in his ear and Jackson smiles back in agreement. In reality, he finds the presentation quite interesting except he can't disagree because Mark has moved so close that their bodies are touching and focused those big, sparkly eyes right on the helpless Jackson. 

He feels himself let out a breath of relief once Mark sits back in his own seat and turns his gaze somewhere else. Then, Jackson realizes that having the redhead staring at you is like eating ice cream when you have a cavity. It is painful but so satisfying and he wants so much more of it. He slaps his forehead and shakes his head to get his thoughts together. Unfortunately, fate is not so kind because Mark once again leans close and whispers, "look, Jaebum has the right idea." 

Jackson tries his best to restrain himself and remain calm. He follows Mark's eyes and sees a very tired Jaebum with his head on Jinyoung's shoulder, sitting two rows in front of them. When he looks back at Mark, the other boy smiles, close his eyes and rests his head on Jackson's shoulder. Of course, he is frozen and when the other's addicting scent aggressively invades his system, Jackson realizes that he can't get enough of it. He doesn't know if he said his last thought out loud and perhaps Mark has heard him. He also doesn't know how long he stayed frozen in his spot, afraid to move because it meant Mark would too. All of it doesn't matter because at the moment, Jackson can't help but guiltily admit to just how giddy and happy he feels. 

"Hey, wanna ditch?" 

Jackson doesn't know why or how he got the nerves to say it. In fact, he doesn't even realize he has said it out loud until he sees a very surprised Mark staring at him with a smile. 

 "Of course. Come out 10 minutes after me, alright?" And with a wink, Mark stealthily sneaks out the door and Jackson's shoulder is suddenly cold and a part of him thinks maybe he shouldn't have said anything in the first place. 

When he finally does make it out, Mark is nowhere to be seen. After wandering around for two minutes, Jackson wonders if he should just head back in. Then he spots the redhead waving him over. As Jackson is following Mark and they are sneaking out the school grounds, he feels a pang of guilt. Never before has his school attendance been this bad and never has he actually gotten detention. In fact, because of his fencing coach, Jackson had been a pretty good student with solid Bs in his previous schools. 

 "Over here, Mr. Wang~" sing songs Mark with a giant smile on his face and eyes full of mischief and points to his car. 

But then, none of his other schools had Mark.

Jackson is just about to get in Mark's car when the other stops him. His face has a hint of hesitancy.  "So, about the party....is it okay if I invite some of my cousins?" 

"I thought you were from LA? Why-"

"My mom's side of the family...is it cool?" 

He should say no. Jackson knows he should but Mark makes his eyes extra big and has a slight pout when he says "please" and Jackson has nothing but "yes" on his lips. 

 


"Damn transfer, this is your house?!" 

Jackson rolls his eyes, "Yes, Jaebum, this is my house for the time being." 

In response, all he gets is a snort and another "Damn" before the other boy goes back to his phone. Well, him and Jaebum still had a long way to go. 

Before Jackson can have doubts about agreeing to this party, he sees Mark make his way to the house with arms full of chips. 

"Err need some help?" Jackson can't help but laugh. He grabs some of the bags and they head inside. 

"So this is what it looks on the inside," Mark nods while looking around. Jackson shrugs in confusion once they make eye contact. 

"Oh, you'll know later, transfer" Jaebum chimes in from the kitchen but of course, he's no help. 

Youngjae arrives twenty minutes later with the alcohol and his face is weirdly contorted into something between a gasp and a smile. 

"Told you," Jaebum says again to Jackson while grabbing the keg and setting it up. 

"Wait, Jaebum, why a keg? I mean-"

"Jackson, you said a party and what's a party without a keg, right?" Youngjae, having recovered from his earlier state, answers for Jaebum. 

Jackson scoffs and tries to laugh it off, "Oh yea, of course. I'm just surprised there is only one." 

Suddenly he feels Mark's arms around his shoulder and winks at him. "See, I told you Jackson was cool." 

Jackson is happy. But he finds out twenty minutes later that he had been too happy for his own good because that wink and that smile was a sign of trouble to come. His house is packed with drunk teenagers, some, no, most of whom, Jackson has never even seen before. They are everywhere; no space is left unoccupied, including the bathroom. 

He has spent the last half hour or so, trying to save what little he can of the decorations around the house and keep the puke off the carpet but he needs to take a breather. 

Heading upstairs, he finds couple of more teenagers inside the bedrooms and he has to kick them all out. Luckily, Suzy has locked her room so all that's left is his room. Jackson is just about to yell at the person in his room when he sees that it's Mark. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?" Jackson tries to sound casual but he is nervous for reasons unknown. He should be angry because it was all the redhead's fault that this party is out of control and he's in so much trouble. "Actually Mark, about the party-"

"I know, I'm so sorry for all of this. I just invited my cousins, I swear but I guess word got out and....it's a really small town and we're all caged here so," Mark stops speaking, his hand on a picture frame, "hey, this is you? It is, isn't it?"

Jackson hurriedly grabs for it and shrugs, "yea, my first fencing competition....it's stupid." 

"It's cute."

Jackson flushes but Mark doesn't notice because he already has his eyes on Jackson's fencing medals and ribbons. 

"Oh, yea, those too are from fencing....my host parents them up.....it's embarrassing-"

"Really? If I were you and had ribbons and medals, I would be really proud of myself. It's really cool, you know? Hell, I would be bragging to anyone who would listen," Mark sounds distant and Jackson doesn't know how to respond so he just thanks him. Mark smiles back and lightly rustles Jackson's hair, "sure thing, bud. Alright, let's get out of here, yea?" 

Jackson is smiling so wide that he doesn't remember how much he hates people touching his hair. 

Another hour into the party, it seems as if everyone is either sleeping, puking or making out in the corners. Jaebum is nowhere to be seen and Youngjae has been giggling and having a blast ever since Suzy arrived home. Jackson makes himself some popcorn and goes to find Mark so that they can make fun of Youngjae. 

Jackson reaches his room and he knows Mark must be in there because he isn't in all the other rooms. He doesn't even need to open the door wide to see the bodies of Mark and Jinyoung on his bed, heavily engrossed in kissing each other. 

He immediately closes the door, hoping it didn't make any sound but even if it did, he doubts they would be interrupted. Jackson swiftly makes his way outside because he needs air. He also checks his pockets for anything lost but everything is there and he still has his popcorn but somehow, it still feels like he dropped something. Something very important. 

Jaebum is on the backyard bench, smoking away when Jackson sees him and sits down. 

"Why is the person who was so into this whole party thing outside? Smoking by himself?" Jackson teases but his words have no bite. 

"What about you? Your mouth was hanging by your ears before and now, you're gloomy as my dad," Jaebum counters between puffs. 

Jackson shrugs and Jaebum doesn't push further. They sit like that for a good ten minutes or so, each in their own worlds and thoughts. 

"Jinyoung came," Jaebum says out loud, breaking the silence, "They're back together again."

Jackson shouldn't ask. He should just mind his own business but he can't help himself, "What's up with you and Jinyoung?"

"I love him and he doesn't give a damn," Jaebum responds without losing a beat.