Do You Like Apples?

Chances

"You can't be serious? Dad??"
"Jackson, it's only for one year and th-"
"Exactly, it's just one year!! Why do I have to do this, then? I mean, let me tell you, your son isn't missing out much by any means. You were the top student, not me!"
"No, I won't have you miss your senior year of high school. I don't know about college but you will graduate high school, damn it! Even if you have to do it in Korea!"

*********************

 

"Sir? You have to get off now."

Jackson wakes up to a voice and a face so cheery that it induces his gag reflex and he has to cough rather loudly in order to mask it. Needless to say, when he does begrudgingly stand up to get his bag, the flight attendant hovers over him like a giant, cheery, BB cream covered bee and as a last resort, he shamelessly speedwalks out of the plane until he is greeted by a sight all too familiar to him. The airport is complete with signs on the ceilings indicating different gate numbers and exits, the timely announcements by a robotic voice that overpowers the loud chattering of people and of course, the long lines formed by weary passengers waiting for their shot of caffeine. For a moment, it feels like one of his fencing outings, after which, he would take the flight back to Hong Kong. He almost expects his mom to be just outside the door, ready to greet him and his dad in the car, waiting to pick him up. Of course, it dawns on him, rather instantly, that all that is around him is in Korean and he is alone. Sure enough, when he does walk out of the airport, there is no one there and there is not enough time for the cool air of Korea to greet him before the taxi drivers crowd around, frevently trying to get him to pick their car.

 

The house he has isn't bad by any standards and his host family could not be more adorable. Jackson is honestly surprised to see the whole family waiting for him (cake in hand) to celebrate his arrival. Then, the careful planning that seemed to have gone into decorating his rather spacious room also gets him a bit off guard; the room is filled with posters and memorabilia of his favorite hip hop artists as well as all his fencing trophies, ribbons and medals. It is all rather sweet and touching, which only makes him more homesick. 

 

Jackson has a week before officially starting school and while he tries his best to distract himself and explore, there is not much to see in the very small town. He thinks it is very fitting that his father chose this place. On the weekend before the dreaded Monday, Jackson is taken to the movie theater by his sibling(?) Suzy but this too goes awry as a bunch of rowdy teenagers keep shouting in the back. Before exiting the theater, though dimly lit, Jackson still tries to get a look at the said troublemakers but can't see anything beyond the red hair one of them has. He hopes they don't go to whichever school he's forced to attend. 

 

Korea or Hong Kong, high schools apparently all start very early which forces students to wake up at ungodly hours and Jackson is no exception. When he finally finishes wearing his uniform and heads down to eat, he is greeted by Mrs. Choi's bright face and warm food. He learns that Suzy attends an all girls charter school which starts at 9AM and as he shoves down his plate, a half-asleep Jackson concludes that her height isn't the only thing he's jealous of.

 

The Principal tells him that this is a non-traditional school because it is very involved in making bridges with other countries and as a result, has many foreign students like himself. He also goes on about the various opportunities provided, different clubs and organizations and academic decathlons but honestly, Jackson doesn't hear a thing. He never has been a good listener and that isn't going to change in Korea. Though he nods every now and then, his eyes and his attention are on the group of boys on the street below and as their footsteps grow closer to the school entrance, Jackson feels his stomach fall further. One head of red hair standing out blatantly.

 

In sixth period, through hushed whispers and murmurs of his fellow classmates, Jackson learns their names. He is surprised by how he curious he has become of them and wanting to get a closer look. He has to slap himself twice to get his thoughts in check.

 

The day couldn't end any slower for Jackson who he realizes that one of the "perks" of being a foreign transfer in the middle of the year was getting the undivided attention of the school guidance counselor. When he finally heads to his locker, he is more than relieved. That is until he realizes that he forgot his lock combination.

"Damn it!" He mutters under his breath while angrily twisting the knob one more time. This was just the stuff of the movies.

"Need some help there?" 

Jackson freezes when he realizes that the question is in English and it is directed at him. "N-no, thanks. I'm good," he didn't need to turn to see who it was because he has a sense for these kinds of things and he can sense that it is probably one of the boys from the group. What he didn't account for was the said boy walking over and pushing him aside. Jackson watches with mouth slightly agape as the lean boy, slightly taller than him, with bright red hair, randomly hits the locker until succeeding in getting it open. 

"There!" He beams while stepping aside and giving Jackson access to his locker, "future tip about the lockers....the locks are just for show, they don't really work." 

The redhead pokes his head into Jackson's locker, peering over his shoulder and seemingly taking mental notes on the contents. Jackson can't help but feel a bit embarrassed at his shabby decorations and collection of snap backs, all of a sudden, wishing that he had listened to Mrs. Choi and kept the hats at home.

"I'm Mark, by the way." 

Jackson stupidly repeats the name to himself; he hopes the other didn't hear. Mark is grabbing random CDs from a locker and when Jackson makes a face, he smiles and points, "It's mine, you know, I am a student here too." 

"Could've fooled me," Jackson counters back which throws Mark into a laughing fit. His giggles are very unique and high-pitched and adorable. Jackson slaps his mind back into focus, belatedly noticing that Mark was curiously staring at him. 

"So, transfer student, you've surely heard about me and my friends by now? What is the verdict on us?" Mark scoffs, "hmmm, let me guess, we are delinquents, potheads and in the words of the guidance counselor, 'bad apples,' right?"

Jackson nods which makes the other scoff once again. 

"Well, guess what, transfer student, that's all true. 100%, I tell ya....and what's more, I'm also gay," Mark says the last bit as a hushed whisper against Jackson's ear, making the other's face two shades darker. 

 

Jackson didn't get home for another half an hour because he had to walk and got lost more than once. He blames it heavily on Mark's parting words that keep replaying in his head.

"Guess I will be seeing you around, Jackson"