Jenissi -Lion's Den

Lion's Mate

A lion shall not be without a lioness,

There is no king, without a queen,

In order for the heir to become the alpha, he must have a mate in order to assure the future of the pride.

- Librum Leonum

Jenissi

It had been a year since my father’s passing. As the son of the previous alpha the position was rightfully mine. There was only one small thing keeping me from my rightful place.

    “A mate” Yano said, shaking me from my thoughts. “Didn’t you hear, Jin-lee has went and got himself a mate.” The young cub said. “Great.” I said with a growl of irritation. Yano looked at me with confusion. I sighed and then replied, “I’m happy for him, really but...” I drifted off. “I know, I know. The elders won’t let you become alpha until you find yourself a Nala.” The young boy said. 

    Even though Yano was still technically a cub by age, he had completed the trials at age ten, making him the youngest member of the pride.

    “I swear if you start singing ‘Circle of Life’, I’ll trow you off a cliff.” I growled. “That’s no way to talk to your subjects, oh mighty prince.” A voice said from behind me. We turned around to find Seogoong and Gohn. Those two were my litter mates and along with Yano, my closest friends. 

    This is all probably confusing to you, since you’re most likely a human. You see, my friends and I are lion shape sifters. similar to werewolves, except we turn in to lions, and the moon has no effect on us. Our society is ancient and steeped in tradition. 

    The four of us were in the Cave of Meeting, where the elders had berated me for not finding a mate. They thought that I was lazy and that I didn’t want my father’s crown. The truth is the opposite, I need to take his place, not only for my pride, but for revenge. A human knight killed my father. If I am to avenge him I must have the position of King.

    “Have you checked every lioness?” Seogoong asked. “Yes, and she’s not here, among the pride.” I replied. “Maybe she’s human.” Gohn joked. “There are stories...” Seogoong said thoughtfully. “The Librum clearly states that a lion shall not take another spices as a mate.” I said. “The Book also says the heir should not be marked unless by battle scars.” Yano said referring to my tattoos. I remember my father almost culled me when I got them. “If the Book isn’t always right, then maybe the elders are also wrong.” Seoggong said. “Don’t let anyone hear you say that Seo, if Claudis heard you, you’d be culled for sure.” Gohn said lightheartedly. 

 

AN: I know it's short I'm just beging the chapters will get longer as the story goes.