Good things come to those Who Wait

Good things come to those Who Wait

Kyuhyun has been a very patient person.

He thinks, no matter how impossible it may seem, that he can make the hands go a full spin around the clock because if there’s anything he wants to happen, it’s that time would go faster and hear the door click open and Sungmin is standing there by the doorframe. He thinks stupidly and he sighs at the thoughts of how wonderful yet despicable the reasons Sungmin would be standing in his house.

And yet, he still hopes. Kind of, really really really hopes he can make time go faster.

He clicks his tongue making a soft slow nonsensical rhythm and stares at his laptop screen, with the zombies clashing warriors and warriors chopping of characters’ heads. He decided to ditch off the game for some time now and yet he has no desire to turn if off. So much for enjoyment. So much for fun. So much for worrying.

The door clicks open and he hides the smile creeping on his face. Calm yourself down doofus.

And there he is.

Standing by the door frame, slinging his bag on one shoulder and carrying a bottle of wine. Kyuhyun tries to roll his eyes.

Sungmin searches for him in the dark and with the light coming from the laptop alone, the older man smiles a small smile and saunters towards the couch after throwing the bag somewhere in the room and closing the door lightly.

He slings an arm around Kyuhyun’s neck and Kyuhyun holds back the thought of running a hand on his back.

The bottle spills faintly on the wooden floor and Kyuhyun fears the scolding he’ll have to face from Ahra when she gets home tomorrow. That’ll definitely stain.

*

“How could he do this to me?” Sungmin hiccups in the dark and Kyuhyun lets him sit on his lap as he adjusts Sungmin’s weight on his legs. He latches his skinny arms on the man’s waist and listens to the wails of his best friend.

“You’re always like this,” Kyuhyun replies as he cocoons Sungmin in his lap and cradles him in his arm. The laptop has totally been forgotten and Kyuhyun shrugs off as it went to sleep.

“I know but I can’t help it,” Sungmin answers him and he just deepens his face on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and tightens the hug. Slowly, he feels sleep creeping in and the smell of wine envelopes Kyuhyun’s senses.

“You can’t help but get drunk in wine,” Kyuhyun chirps. “Or was it in love you can’t help but get drunk at?”

“I hate you,” he mumbles weakly and jokingly.

In the cold dark room, Kyuhyun doesn’t smile. Instead he feels his heart swells in pain and in rejection. As steadily as he can muster, he just tightens the hug.

*

It was 9 in the morning when Sungmin walks towards him and serves Kyuhyun his usual morning and pastry covered with powdered sugar and a side of honey for his coffee. Kyuhyun smiles at him and the latter flashes a wide grin in return.

“How are you?” Sungmin asks. He settles on the chair beside him and Kyuhyun tries to shoo him away. “Don’t worry, there’s only you as customer. People wouldn’t mind, really.”

“You’re such a flirt,” Kyuhyun beckons as he tries his best to not to show the smile.

“Don’t you have to sweep the floor or change some lightbulb?” he asks mockingly when Sungmin has finally planted himself beside him, leaning against him and linking his arm intimately. Kyuhyun lets him as he takes a bite of his pastry and folds the newspaper open.

“Have you noticed the new guy on the counter?” Sungmin chirps, totally countering him and leaning his head on Kyuhyn’s shoulder like any normal couple would do.

“You mean the ugly guy?” Kyuhyun asks and he feels Sungmin fidgets out of excitement.

“Shut up! He’s cute.” Sungmin swoons and his best friend just falls silent. He is in the middle of an argument whether to talk to Sungmin about another foolish love affair that he sometimes haven’t thought thoroughly through and it’s always him that ends up getting hurt and that this is all stupid when Sungmin lets go of his arm and stands up bringing the tray with him.

“There’s a customer,” he last hears Sungmin says to him and Kyuhyun snaps back from his thoughts driving him off elsewhere.

He watches as his best friend walks behind the counter and Eunhyuk, the man behind the cash register, throws him a wink.

Now maybe, just maybe, he feels a little jealous when Sungmin blushes after Eunhyuk winked at him.

And maybe he wants to throw something on Eunhyuk’s face--like the chair or this table at him.

*

Kyuhyun dashes quickly across the street under the falling snow and cold night when Sungmin calls him to go the bbq restaurant they’d once been to. The way Sungmin’s voice worried him. It was hurried yet broken, muffled yet faultless.

As he enters the place and searches for Sungmin, he hears a voice and his eyes fall flat upon seeing Eunhyuk beside Sungmin on one of the couches.  He helps himself to stride non-too-heavily towards them.

They’re with someone, Donghae, he recalls terribly. Kyuhyun sits beside Donghae and after eating his first slice of meat, he concludes that he’s full already and just sits there, listening to Sungmin and Eunhyuk’s stories of how they’d fallen in love.

Donghae guffaws at them like a happy kid.

Kyuhyun wants nothing but to drown himself in soju and forget that he actually had feelings for Sungmin. He's doubting himself that he's patient enough to tolerate this. Halfway through giving up, actually. Kind of.

*

Sungmin has this habit of sticking to Kyuhyun even if he has a boyfriend already. They are the best of friends. Like soulmates but just friends. Or is it even possible was the main contretemps because your soulmate is your lover. On contrary, of course. Sort of.

So he still calls Kyuhyun on wee hours while staying at Eunhyuk’s apartment or when he’s at work, wanting to chat with someone even if Eunhyuk’s completely available. Or he goes to his house just to hang out when he doesn’t feel like seeing Eunhyuk. Kyuhyun was a normal part of his routine, of his existence. And habits can't be easily broken. That is his defense.

Eunhyuk doesn’t mind though.

And clearly, Kyuhyun doesn’t really mind too.

*

“Won’t your boyfriend get mad about this?” Kyuhyun breaks finally one time as they hang out in his house. He’s sitting right in front of his laptop and Sungmin is curled beside him, his head resting on Kyuhyun’s lap.

“It’s not like I’m cheating,” Sungmin defends as he scrolls for a channel to watch.

Kyuhyun scoffs in a whisper, “This clearly looks like you’re cheating.”

“You’re my best friend. Eunhyuk will understand that,” Sungmin replies, finding a decent drama to watch.

“I can see that,” Kyuhyun mutters under his breath.

Sungmin looks up at him. “Did you say something?”

Kyuhyun sighs as he destroys the last zombie in the field. “Oh nothing.”

*

For the record, this is the longest period Sungmin’s been in a relationship. He had tons of boyfriends before and no one lasts more than a week, and if lucky, a month. It’s not of a big deal really. Kyuhyun completely understands that Sungmin’s just a total whim when it comes to love. He falls easily and entertains almost everyone under pity.

So Kyuhyun isn’t really much of a fan when Sungmin tells him that Eunhyuk will bring him to the countryside for their third-month anniversary over the weekend. Kyuhyun stands there by the door and curses at Eunhyuk mentally.

Sungmin is ecstatic.

Eunhyuk is taunting.

And him? He just doesn't show but he's definitely crying inside.

*

After some time, he decides to distance himself from Sungmin. He wants to sort his feelings because he’s getting worried at how his heart almost burst in rage whenever he sees Sungmin all tangled up and stuck with Eunhyuk at the cafe. Or how lovesick Sungmin looks like whenever Eunhyuk calls him or sends him a text. Or how he is utterly annoyed that Sungmin’s in love with an anchovy of a face and dwarf of a height. Or how close he is in giving up his love and screw patience bcause undeniably, Kyuhyun wants nothing but to disappear and be forever gone. Hey, it might help him forget his feelings too. Just in case.

He’s way more good-looking. He tries to soothes himself as he kills another opponent on the screen.

*

“Hello?”

“Kyu?”

“…”

“Hey, where are you?”

“Why?”

“Nothing.”

“I’m a bit busy. I’m hanging up.”

“…”

“I just…I just miss you.” Sungmin mumbles to himself as he stares at his phone.

*

It’s been a week since Sungmin’s last phone call and Kyuhyun admits that it’s about time to stop acting like a child and show himself to Sungmin after a long time. He can’t even stand a day without seeing Sungmin and he had the courage to ignore him for such a long time. He gives himself a pat on the back for staying strong yet his guts speaks otherwise. He misses Sungmin too. What’s worse is that his feelings grows even more as each day pass.

He heads for the cafe when he stops at the alley beside the store after he hears a familiar voice spoke.

Donghae is pinned against the wall and Eunhyuk’s shoving his tongue in the latter’s mouth. It is quite a scene because from the looks of it, Donghae’s enjoying himself. And Eunhyuk, god he wants to punch Eunhyuk so hard in the face. They part for a while and when Donghae turns his head, he shrieks. They both did. Eunhyuk turns to where Donghae is looking and Kyuhyun throws daggers at him. Eunhyuk doesn’t flinch.

He keeps everything to himself and tiptoes away. He feels sweaty and anxious he doesn’t even know what to do. He feels his legs numb but still wills his legs to walk.

Kyuhyun enters the cafe with lost eyes when a tackle brings him back to his senses.

“You’re here!” The voice chirps happily and Kyuhyun looks at the beaming man before him. He wraps his arms around Sungmin naturally. He searches for Kyuhyun’s eyes and he tilts his head in wonder.

“Are you okay? Why are you teary?” Sungmin asks, concerned. Kyuhyun doesn’t bark out and instead he hugs Sungmin tightly and sobs silently. Sungmin starts to worry.

“I just miss you.” He chokes and Sungmin nods as he envelopes him in a hug.

*

“You piece of disrespectful ,” Kyuhyun throws him a look and Eunhyuk tries to stop himself from beating Kyuhyun even more.

Despite the height difference Eunhyuk has still managed to bruise him on the lips and his left temple. Donghae stands between them after many throws of fists. Kyuhyun stumbles on the ground and Eunhyuk eyes him glaringly. He kneels down and collars him in his hands.

“What’s wrong with you?” Eunhyuk asks. Kyuhyun just stares at him with blank and hateful eyes.

“What’s wrong with you? He loves you so much!” Kyuhyun asks back sternly. He’s mad.

Eunhyuk falls silent. Donghae walks towards them and pushes Eunhyuk away. He helps Kyuhyun up and smiles brokenly. “I’m sorry,” Donghae tells Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun furrows his eyebrows at him.

“This is my fault,” Donghae defends Eunhyuk and the latter holds him quickly by the hand. They all stay in silence when Kyuhyun shakes his head in frustration and kicks a scattered tin on the ground. He doesn’t know what to do. The sad look on Donghae’s eyes chokes him but that can’t be reasonable enough for him to just accept everything. This is Sungmin they’re talking about. Sungmin being hurt for the nth time. Sungmin falling for the wrong person, again. Sungmin blinded not to see that Kyuhyun’s there all along with him.

For him.

Kyuhyun turns his heels and starts walking away.

*

He slumps on his bed all worn out and tired and fidgety.

He hears the door ringing but pays no attention. Kyuhyun isn’t just in the mood to get up. If that’s Ahra, she knows where the spare key is, surely she can figure her way in. He’s never been into a fight in his entire life. Or never been beaten this much and he can’t contemplate whether to cry because he’d never felt so much alive or cry because he can’t even feel his body.

One thing he’d learned for sure: Eunhyuk sure knows how to throw a punch.

*

Kyuhyun stirs and he cracks an eye open to see the light from his bedside lamp . He feels a warm cloth over his forehead. He opens his eyes fully and see Sungmin kneeling beside his bed.

“You didn’t open the door,” Sungmin mumbles, leaning closer and holding his hand. “I was worried. I asked Ahra-noona about the spare key.”

“Why are you here?” Kyuhyun croaks and Sungmin looks at him plainly.

“Donghae and Eunhyuk called me,” Sungmin answers. He stands up and reaches for the cloth. Kyuhyun quivers lighlty and moves at the other side of the bed.

“Lie beside me,” he instructs and by the tone in his voice, Sungmin can’t argue.

Sungmin slides beside him. He lies on his side and faces Kyuhyun who’s facing him too. He has band aids on his temple and his lips are still swelling.

He places an arm over Sungmin’s waist. It was normal for them. The codependency between them is too high that there’s no difference with intimate and normal friends boundaries. And Kyuhyun wonders if Sungmin knows it or he’s just too dumb to notice that Kyuhyun is doing everything for him not because they’re just friends but because he loves him.

He hates feeling this way. Kyuhyun hates discussing feelings with himself because most of the times, his feelings win and he bawls in defeat.

Sungmin looks at him.

“Stop worrying,” Kyuhyun rolls his eyes and twitches at the bruised lip. “I’m all right.”

“I don’t.” Sungmin scowls back, leaning closer and closing the gap between them. He places his head on Kyuhyun’s nape and rests his hand atop Kyuhyun’s chest.

“You stupid Kyuhyun,” Sungmin mumbles and Kyuhyun hugs him close. He sinks his nostrils in Sungmin’s head taking in the strawberry sweet scent of Sungmin. “Why didn’t you fight back?”

“How could I? He’s your boyfriend.”

They both fall in quietude.

“He’s not anymore.” Sungmin replies. He looks down and the latter flashes him a small smile.

*

It took Kyuhyun a month to get Sungmin’s yes after his ever long courting and Kyuhyun hides his laugh every time Sungmin tells him to wait, because he figures that maybe the reason he always screws up in his relationship is his haste attitude in terms of love. Kyuhyun agrees to him. Kyuhyun can wait. Sungmin's worth it and he's much more than willing to wait.

On the day Sungmin had finally said yes to him as his boyfriend, Kyuhyun stays frozen after Sungmin tips his toes and reaches for his lips in a chaste kiss. He smiles funnily and Sungmin blushes madly.

It takes exactly 15 minutes to arrive from his workplace to Sungmin’s. Another 15 minutes for Sungmin’s shift to end every time he arrives. Kyuhyun waits for another five minutes for Sungmin to pack up and change into his normal clothes before walking out the cafe with Kyuhyun’s fingers entwined with his. And every time Kyuhyun wishes for the time to slow down because he wants nothing more but to savour the wonderful moment being spent with him.

“Hello,” Sungmin chirps as he walks out the staffroom and slings his bag over his shoulder.

“We’re you waiting for too long?” he asks and Kyuhyun smiles to himself. He’ve waited for this long, to have Sungmin in his arms every night in their sleep, to kiss those full lips and to tell him he loves him every single day; and he thinks,

“Not at all.”

Sungmin smiles and leans closer as he brings his arms around his waist and they head out under the night summer breeze.