Happiest

Happiest

Happiest

 

Irene has never seen someone who tops the grade sleep in so many classes, as she found herself distracted by the sight of a girl who sat beside her. Wendy Son, Irene thought. The girl was sleeping again and it amused Irene how the girl can sleep so much. One arm folded in, acting as cushion while the other arm stretched out with Wendy’s wrist limply dangling off the edge of the desk. The girl rolled over and faced Irene, who immediately looked away. She knew the younger girl was sleeping but she couldn’t face the embarrassment if she happened to get caught staring at Wendy.

 

“Wendy” the teacher called from the front of the room.

 

Wendy didn’t budge as usual and the teacher started to make her way to the sleeping girl with the history textbook in hand. Irene couldn’t help but glance over again to see the peaceful expression of the younger brunette. The teacher smacked the textbook against the empty space on the desk. Irene smiled, seeing Wendy’s eyebrows furrow at the sudden noise. She opened her eyes slowly, and Irene could’ve sworn that they made eye contact.

 

“Oh, Ms.” Wendy greeted with a smile as she stretched her arms out still half asleep.

 

The teacher crossed her arms, “I know you have consistent grades but sleeping in class is still unacceptable.”

 

Wendy nodded, “Okay. Sorry about that, I won’t sleep anymore.”

 

The teacher nodded in satisfaction and went back to the front of the room, writing dates and events on the blackboard. Wendy turned her head to the side to face the girl who had been staring at her the whole time. Irene flustered but couldn’t turn away like before as Wendy shot her a charming smile. Irene watched as the younger girl rested her chin on one of her hands and brought the index finger of her free hand to her lips, as if saying ‘be quiet, don’t tell anyone.’ Irene wasn’t quite sure what Wendy was trying to do until she saw Wendy shut her eyes. A grin broke out as Irene saw that the girl had gone back to sleep again.

 

And that was the first time Irene has ever interacted with Wendy.

 

 

~

 

 

Irene was eating her lunch peacefully in the cafeteria. Her friends had extracurricular activities so she was left alone, and she didn’t really mind because she planned to head to the library after her meal anyway. She wasn’t usually a fast eater but when alone she was, so before she knew it she was already up to her favorite part of the meal. Dessert. She looked at the pudding with beaming eyes; grateful that the school had good cafeteria food she readied herself to dig into the pudding.

 

“Do you like pudding?”

 

A voice interrupted Irene’s ‘pudding time’ as she saw a pair of hands place down their own tray of food and sit right opposite her. It was Wendy. Irene panicked, “Yeah…”

 

Wendy smiled and placed her pudding onto Irene’s tray, “I’m not a big fan.”

 

“T-thank you” Irene stuttered.

 

“Alone today?”

 

Irene nodded, “Yeah… they’re busy today.”

 

“You eat fast when you’re alone” Wendy commented.

 

“Do I?”

 

Wendy nodded, “It’s not really good for you to eat too fast.”

 

Irene looked down, “I never realized I did.”

 

“I’ll keep you company, so take your time. It won’t feel awkward if I’m here, right?” Wendy, once again, flashed Irene with her oh-so-charming smile.

 

Irene felt her face heat up at the gesture and her heartbeat became abnormally fast, “T-thanks…”

 

“No problem.”

 

And that was the second time Irene has ever interacted with Wendy.

 

 

~

 

 

It seems whenever Irene is struggling with something, Wendy is always somehow nearby to swoop in and save the day. Today was no different. Irene stumbled through the corridors of the school, attempting to carry a box of photocopied material to the teacher’s staffroom.

 

“That seems heavy.”

 

A voice interrupted Irene, again. It was the same voice every time. “Wendy?” Irene stopped and popped her head out from behind the box to see Wendy standing in front of her with a faint smile.

 

“Here, I’ll carry it” Wendy said as she swiftly took the box off of Irene’s hands and into her own. She popped her head out from behind just like Irene did, “Staffroom?”

 

Irene nodded, “Y-yeah…”

 

Wendy nodded and spun around, heading towards the teacher’s staffroom with Irene in tow. Irene fiddled with her fingers, thinking of a way to break the ice. “Um… you always seem to be around when I need help” Irene said not sure what kind of a response she wanted from the other girl.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I guess I must be attracted to you then” Wendy said casually.

 

“E-excuse me?” Irene was surprised at the response.

 

They arrived at the staffroom and Wendy knocked on the door. The teachers let her in and she placed the box down on a nearby table before excusing herself with a bow. Wendy came out and smiled, “I said… I must be attracted to you then.”

 

Irene looked down immediately to hide her blushing but Wendy was more persistent than she expected.

 

Wendy bent over and managed to catch a glimpse of Irene’s flustered condition. She straightened herself before giving a chuckle, “You’re so cute Irene.”

 

Irene was too embarrassed to think, so she did what her body told her and gave a playful slap on Wendy’s chest, “Stop it.”

 

“Okay” Wendy said, giving another chuckle. “But I wasn’t kidding when I said I’m attracted to you” Wendy informed.

 

There goes her heart again. Irene swore if this goes on she’d die from a heart attack. But still, she quite enjoyed Wendy’s presence.

 

And by now, she’s lost count how many times she has interacted with Wendy.

 

 

~

 

 

“Hey, unnie…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Do you like anyone?”

 

Irene turned and looked at Wendy in confusion. Why was she asking this, “Why?”

 

“I was just wondering” Wendy said. “If you’re too shy, I can say my answer first.”

 

Irene nodded, “You first then.”

 

Wendy smiled, “You’re always too shy.”

 

“Just say yours” Irene was becoming impatient.

 

Wendy nodded, “Okay. I’ll keep it simple then.” She looked at Irene and took the older girl’s hands into her own, “Bae Joohyun… Somewhere along the lines of our interactions and friendship I’ve fallen for. So, will you be my girlfriend?”

 

Irene couldn’t believe it. Wendy confessed to her. All this time she thought she was the only one. She was so happy she could cry, but of course, she refrained from doing so. “Of course Wendy” Irene replied with a smile.

 

The biggest smile broke out onto Wendy’s face as she pulled Irene in for big warm hug, “Yay! Now you’re my cute little cabbage,” she exclaimed with pure joy, as she even lifted the girl up and spun a bit. Once she gently placed the girl back down onto the ground she gave Irene a quick peck on the lips.

 

Irene laughed, “Yep. I’m all yours,” she said as she returned Wendy’s peck with a kiss.

 

And, that was the happiest interaction Irene has ever had with Wendy.