FIVE

FORGIVE ME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How far should a person go in the name of love?

            Myungsoo was still turning this question over his mind when he pulled into the parking lot, even though he’d already made his decision. Tiffany’s car was parked two aisles away from his so he’d already expected his sister to be home. Tucking his hands in his pockets, he made his way inside his apartment unit.

            Tiffany turned when she heard him enter. He could feel her trying to read his expression. She started toward him.

            “Myungsoo,” she said.

            He said nothing. He removed his jacket, realizing he couldn’t remember the drive back home.

            “Are you okay?”

            It took him a moment to respond. “I don’t know.”

            She put her hand on his arm. Her voice was gentle. “Can I get you something to drink?”

            “A glass of water would be great.”

            She seemed relieved to be able to do something. “Be back in a sec.”

            He sat on the couch and leaned his head back, feeling drained as if he’d spent the day in the ocean, fighting waves. Tiffany returned and handed him the glass.

 

            “Do you want to talk about it?”

            He took a drink of water, realizing how parched his throat had become. “Did you think about the question I asked you earlier? About how far someone should go in the name of love?”

            She considered the question for a moment. “I think I answered that.”

            “You did. Sort of.”

            “What? You’re telling me it wasn’t a good enough answer?”

            He smiled thankful that his sister was still able to talk to him as she always had. “What I really wanted to know is what you would have done if you were in my position.”

            “I knew what you wanted,” she said hesitantly, “but . . . I don’t know, little brother. I really don’t. I can’t imagine having to make that kind of decision, and to be honest, I don’t think anyone can.” She exhaled. “Sometimes I wish you had never told me about the will.”

            “I probably shouldn’t have. I had no right to burden you with that.”

            She shook her head. “I didn’t mean it like that. I know you had to talk to someone about it, and I’m glad you trusted me. It’s just that it made me feel terrible for what you have been going through. You’re young and to handle something like this is just too much for you. And then you have to make a choice whether or not to honor Krystal’s wish.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter