Aftermath

Into The Snow

Adra

They did it. The tail section passengers fought their way up to the front of the train. They were just as disgusting as I had imagined them to be, maybe more so. There was so many of them, they just kept piling into the car. I was so scared, so sure they were going to kill us all. But then there was a loud sound, an explosion, followed by sheer terror as the snow started rolling down the mountain side.

The train was pushed right off the tracks, rolling down the mountain. I thought it was all over, but I was wrong. A young man from the tail section wrapped his arms around me. He protected me with his body as we were tumbled around the car. Next thing I knew, everything went black.

~

Eric

I was one of the first to recover after the fall. Looking around it was near impossible to distinguish the living people from the dead bodies. A few were very obviously dead, with pieces from the wreckage stuck through their bodies, their faces twisted into a final agonized death mask. I had narrowly missed the same fate, some poor sap from the front beside me got it instead.

I didn't have long to collect myself before I heard a scream from near the front of the car. I ran as quickly as I could with my head spinning. I found a girl trapped under a dead body.

“Get it off!” she screamed, struggling to free herself from the death grip. Two things I knew about her right away, she was a train baby, probably around fourteen or fifteen, and she was a front section passenger. Even after a fall like that she was too clean to be from the tail.

I could hear signs of life from behind me as others started to recover. I pried the arms of the dead man off of the girl and rolled him over. He was someone I had known, Woo Jiseok.

“Are you alright?” I asked, tearing my eyes away from my dead friend. She stared at me blankly, probably scared out of her mind after what just happened. I gently shook her by the shoulders. “Do you have a name?” She still stared at me blankly.

Eric, help!” someone called from further back in the car. I was left with no other choice, I picked her up and ran to where the voice came from. I found the Bang twins, Yongguk and Yongnam, possibly the only pair of identical twins left in the world. It was Yongguk who had called me, his brother was on the ground breathing heavily with his hand resting on top of Yongguk's, A glimmer of crimson was visible between his fingers.

What happened?” I asked, setting the girl down off to the side.

I- I woke up with a piece of metal through my side” Yongnam explained. He was trying hard to stay awake, I could tell.

What should we do?” Yongguk asked. His voice trembled with the emotion that was building up. He was always one of the more emotional people that I knew.

Let me get a better look” I said, pushing his hands away from the wound. I tore open Yongnam's shirt and had to look away. Nothing turns the stomach more than a big gaping wound like that. “Jackson!” I yelled, hoping that he survived the fall too.

Right here” Jackson said as he jogged around the other survivors to meet me. He was miraculously unscathed, like he hadn't just fallen down the side of a mountain in a giant metal box full of people.

I simply gestured toward Yongnam and he knew what I needed from him. He knelt down beside the injured man to take a closer look at the wound. “We need to close the wound” he stated, looking up at me.

How? We have no way to cauterize it and I doubt you have the hand-eye coordination to sew it shut” I said.

“I- I can sew” came the small voice of the girl I found earlier. We looked at her expectantly. “I just need a needle and something to use as thread.”

I sent Jackson to look for something that might be useable. Yongguk was looking at me hopefully. “He'll be alright” I assured as Jackson returned.

“That was easier than I expected it to be” Jackson stated, handing the supplies over to the girl. She accepted them and got right to work. Yongnam winced as she stitched, but she worked quickly and Jackson bound it to stop the bleeding.

C-can I sleep now?” Yongnam asked. Yongguk and I both nodded. He looked grateful as he closed his eyes, passing out almost instantly.

“Adra” the girl stated from behind me, catching my attention. I turned to face her, wondering what she meant. “You asked for my name earlier, it's Adra.”

“Kamsahamnida, Adra” Yongguk said, bowing his head respectfully.

She looked confused. I should have known a front section passenger like her wouldn't know more than one language. “He says thank you” I translated.

A small embarrassed smile crept onto her face and she looked down into her lap. The moment would have almost been sweet if it weren't for all the dead bodies and such. It was interrupted anyway.

~

Junhong

Eric!” Jiho exclaimed as he pushed past me, running up to the man we saw as our leader. “Eric, have you seen Jiseok?

I... yes, I have” he replied sullenly. Just the way he said it made it clear to me that Jiseok didn't survive the fall. Jiho knew his tone too.

J-Jiseok is... NO! I- I won't believe it until I see proof.” Jiho pushed past Eric and continued toward the front of the car. I pitied him, it must have been hard losing your only blood relative, especially a brother.

I'm surprised by the number of us that did survive” I stated, looking down at Yongguk and Yongnam. Something caught my attention, something out of place. It was a girl, probably close to my age, from the front section. With what happened, none of the front section passengers should have survived. “Who are you?”

“I'm Adra” she answered, instinctively shrinking back to hide herself behind Eric. I didn't blame her, front section children are taught to hate and fear tail sectioners like me.

“How did you survive?” I asked, looking at her curiously.

“A man, one of yours, shielded me with his body. I woke up with his arms still wrapped around me. He didn't...” she shuddered, shrinking back further. Thinking about what happened seemed to make her recede to somewhere else in her mind.

I put the pieces together from that. “That's what happened to Jiseok, isn't it” I said to Eric. He opened his mouth to talk, but only managed to nod.

~

So I've actually had this finished for a while and I'm just posting it now because I finally decided to it up and remove my self imposed rule of no more than two fanfics at a time. Subscribe and comment if you like it please. And no telling me off if I depict anyone in the wrong way, they are based off of real life counterparts but they are also my characters that have certain personalities in my head.