Final

I'm Yours

It was the recording of yet another year end award show as Taehyung sat at the round guest table with the rest of BTS, looking ahead to the enormous stage that was bursting with bright lightings of every color. It was the most important time of the year and everybody else was on their high ends getting more and more nervous for their performance, but despite the tight atmosphere he felt disappointed at things.

One thing in particular, to be specific.

Will my birthday always be like this from now on? He sighed silently as he absentmindedly stared at their seniors on stage. Just like last year, Taehyung's birthday this year coincided with an award recording, and he basically spent the whole day doing nothing but sweating, waiting around, and bowing every two minutes at every senior that they crossed paths with. There was no birthday song, no cake, no gifts, nothing that identified that special day from the rest.

Even though he felt let down by his fellow group mates for not saying anything about his birthday, Taehyung knew that this was not the time to bring the subject up. How incredibly selfish of him would that sound?! His fingers drummed with little rhythm on his thigh as he felt himself drift into deep, aimless thoughts.

Naturally, his mind wandered towards you. Does ________ remember my birthday? He found himself blindly hoping that you did and in fact even prepared a present for him. It was pretty much common knowledge among his close friends that Taehyung liked you and even confessed to you but got turned down gently. Despite the setback, he still couldn't stop falling for you and hoping that some miraculous day you would change your mind and accept him.

If Taehyung could only have a single birthday present, it would definitely be for you to be his girl forever.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw a coordinator creeping up to their table to call for BTS to be backstage and ready to go on. Letting out another sigh of discontent, Taehyung joined as the boys stood up and followed the man down the venue's exit hallway. There's no way she would ever like you back, to be honest, he tried to convince himself as numerous female PDs and stylists swarmed towards them to check their mics and add some final makeup touches. You could tell just by the way she rejected you!

"Oh I'm really sorry Tae, there's absolutely nothing wrong with you, but I mean, I don't really want to date, you know, especially when school is getting harder and everything. I think it's better for us to just be friends." Replaying what you had said in his head, Taehyung scoffed and rolled his eyes inwardly as he walked up to the stage, bull. It was painfully obvious how you had made up a cheap excuse to protect his feelings, and ironically it only made him pity himself even more. It had already been more than two months since his confession, but he still couldn't keep his mind off the tragic event.

Ugh whatever man, Taehyung scowled at himself as the stage light dimmed, signally the start of BTS' stage, just get over it and focus on the show. "Danger" started blaring loudly from the speakers and through his earpiece into his ear, and he felt a vibration through his body as their performance started. ARMYs cheered wildly below and a few of the other guest artists even nodded their head in approval at them, which temporarily kept Taehyung's mind occupied.

The show ended smoothly and BTS bowed before exiting the stage with loud cheers from the audience. They headed to the changing room to gather their things to go back to their dorm for a much-deserved rest for the night. Again the swarm of PDs rushed over to help take off their stage outfits and mics, and before long Taehyung found himself bowing to the remaining workers at the venue as they reached their van. "What a way to spend my birthday. Again," he muttered as he got seated between Yoongi and Hoseok.

He had hoped that at least someone would pick up his comment, but sadly everyone seemed oblivious. Disappointed, he looked down at his phone and remained silent the entire ride back to the dorm.

As the van pulled into the neighborhood parking lot, Jimin suddenly shot out of his seat and smacked his own head as if suddenly remembering something. "Holy crap did I forget to shut my computer off?!" He groaned in frustration and all heads were turned to him.

"Park Jimin I swear to god," the manager ground his teeth and scolded while parking the vehicle, "if the electricity bill gets even higher than last month because of you..."

Before he could finish his sentence, the younger almost broke the handle while tugging open the van door and bolted for the building entrance. "I'M SORRY HYUNG!!" He shouted as he ran into the building. "I'LL CHECK RIGHT NOW!"

Taehyung watched through the glass double doors as Jimin jabbed at the elevator button and quickly hopped inside. He sighed and grabbed his backpack before following Hoseok out the van, as forgetful as ever, that kid.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the big closet of BTS' dorm, you say cross legged on the floor getting more and more nervous as the minutes passed by. the guitar in your lap over and over, your mind was swarmed with doubt. What if they're not coming back tonight? What if I mess up? What if I screw up my entrance? But the biggest doubt of all was: what if Taehyung doesn't like me anymore?

The thought sent your heart into a frenzy. God please no, you desperately hoped he still do, because you had realized how big of a mistake you made the second you rejected him. Those eyes that had stared back at you were filled with disappointment and sadness, and you immediate knew that you had not only bluntly hurt him but also shamelessly lied to yourself as well.

The truth was: you liked Taehyung. A lot. But with him being an idol and all that, you always felt you had never matched up to him. And besides, how were you suppose to compete with all the pretty female idols around him in the entire music industry? Anyway, wouldn't it be better for him and his career to be in a relationship with a well-known artist than a nobody?

No, you have to trust Jimin, you shook your head as you thought to yourself. He knows the best and said Tae is still thinking of you. Being of the same age, Jimin and Taehyung talked about everything with each other, making the former the most reliable source of information when it came down to things like this. It was him who first told you that Tae liked you in the first place and ultimately came up with the idea that dragged you into the situation you were currently in.

Ugh, just hope that nothing goes wrong, you leaned back and peaked outside the closet doorway to the living room. As soon as BTS left the dorm for their schedule, you got to work on the decoration part of the surprise birthday party that you and the boys had planned for Taehyung. After hours of work, the space was filled with balloons, banners, and colorful ribbons. The presents that they bought for the boy were placed neatly around his usual seat at the dining table. The birthday cake from the delivery order had arrived shortly afterwards and is currently sitting on the table completed with colorful candles.

As for your present, well... You looked back to the mirror inside the closet at your own reflection: long, curly brown hair that flowed down your shoulders, light, flirty makeup with baby pink lipgloss, a white, short-sleeve crop top that complimented your curves, a light blue a-skirt with polka dots that came just above your knees, and a pair of pump heels. And the major point in your outfit? Your eyes slowly drifted up and stared at the accessory on the side of your head: an exaggerated gift bow hair clip in the same shade as your skirt.

You pouted at your reflection as your left hand danced across the fingerboard of the guitar nervously. Where the hell is Jimin?!

As if on cue, the apartment door slammed open, making you jump and let out a small squeak. You heard the sound of a lighter being and assumed that Jimin was lighting the candles. A second later he appeared in the closet doorway and stared down at you. "They're almost here, ________," he panted and said hurriedly. "Better get ready now."

His words got your heart caught in your throat as you inhaled sharply. You seemed to froze as your mind clouded with so many thoughts that it was hard to breath. You closed your eyes, squeezed the guitar in your hand, and bid your lips, feeling more nervous than ever. Oh god this is not going to work there's no way it's going to work I don't think I can do this what if it's he who rejects me this time how would I even talk to him afterwards oh my god I'm definitely going to mess up and trip and make a fool of myself and he'll never talk to me again...

Suddenly, and pair of hands were on your shoulders, making your eyes flutter open. Jimin was kneeling down and staring at you in the eyes calmly. "________, trust me," his voice was smooth and soothing, and you felt yourself relax a bit. "Tae liked you a lot and he still likes you a lot now. I promise you there's no way he's gonna reject you, so just relax, alright?"

He squeezed your shoulders reassuringly and you nodded, exhaling. He helped you stand up and you checked yourself in the mirror for the last time before clearing your throat and running the song you were going to sing over in your head. You met Jimin's corky smirk as he said, "you're gonna make his day, girl!"

You found yourself smiling as he left to get the cake and get ready for the surprise. Yes, yes you are, you encouraged yourself. All was dark and silent, and the only thing your could hear was your own deafening heartbeat.

And then the apartment door clicked open again.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU~" you could hear the boys singing as feet shuffled across the floor and hands clapped loudly. Your grin widened as you pictures the scene: Taehyung staring wide-eyed at the birthday cake with glowing candles, his beloved group mates surrounding him, the surprise and happiness he must be feeling on the inside...

The boys finished singing with loud cheers and shouts of "happy birthday!". The lights suddenly came on, making you squint your eyes and blink at the brightness. You could hear Seokjin urging them to sit down, Namjoon asking for a knife to cut the cake, and Taehyung's exclamation of how surprised his was.

Step one, check, you thought to yourself.

"And you thought we didn't get you presents," Jungkook's voice said teasingly, and you heard wrapping paper ruffling as he picked up a gift package. "Let's open them while we eat!"

The others agreed with him, and chairs shifted loudly on the floor before you heard more ruffling of wrapping papers. There were "oooh"s and "aaah"s as the presents were revealed one by one, and the boys seemed to be speaking and commenting between bites of cake.

Step two, check.

"Well, that's all," you heard Hoseok say.

"Pffff, look at this kid," Yoongi teased, "are you satisfied now?"

"He'll never be satisfied until ________ agrees to date him!" Jimin cut in and the others immediately agreed with him with loud "yeeeeaaaahhhh!" and laughs.

"I bet that's his birthday wish when he blew the candles," Namjoon said, and you could easily picture that signature smirk on his face.

"Well what do you think!" Taehyung finally spoke, and you felt your heart melting at his deep voice yet child-like tone. So it really is... You blushed slightly and thought.

"Why don't you just ask her again, then?" Hoseok said, a bit more serious now. "I heard some girls are into persistent guys."

A sigh sounded, and you assumed it was from Tae as he continued, "nah, I don't think ________ likes me back. I'm pretty sure."

Your heart skipped at his low tone, and you pictured him hanging his head and looking down biting his lips. Pabo, you thought, feeling all the more terrible for rejecting him, of course I do.

"Yeah right!" Sarcasm oozing from Jungkook's voice. "Everyone knows you just wish for her to be here instead of us!"

Taehyung scoffed, "I don't think she even remembers my birthday. Why would she anyway?"

Pabo, I have every reason to remember.

"Who knows? Maybe ________'ll just walk through the doorway right this moment," Jimin said nonchalantly, but you immediately picked it up as your cue.

Part three, here I go.

You took a deep breath and started strumming on the strings of your guitar, making sure it was loud enough to resonate into the living room. Jason Mraz's ballad "I'm Yours" flowed out from your fingertips swiftly, and you could hear the boys quieting down as you nervously stepped out of the closet. You started singing:

Well you done done me
And you bet I felt it,
I tried to be chill but
You're so hot that I melted.
I fell right through the cracks,
And now I'm trying to get back.

You came into view of the seven boys and almost giggled out loud at Taehyung's shocked face. He stared at you with his jaw slack and eyes wide, looking like an angel just landed in front of him and agreed to give him whatever he wanted. The other boys gave you encouraging smiles, and you found yourself returning with a grin of your own as you continued and started trotting closer:

Before the cool done run out
I'll be giving it my bestest,
And nothing's gonna stop me
But divine intervention.
I reckon it's again my turn
To win some or learn some.

Looking at Taehyung again, your heart suddenly halted for a split of a second as you took in his blank face. To your dismay, he didn't seem to show any pleased expression and just looked at you intensely as if deep in thoughts. Oh my god is he thinking of how to reject me?! Your smile wavered and you felt your throat tighten at the thought. No, you can't stop now, ________! That'll just make it even more awkward for yourself! You tried to calm your quivering heart as you pushed on, walking around the table:

But I won't hesitate
No more, no more.
It cannot wait,
I'm yours.

You looked to Tae again. This time relief washed over you and your heart melted at the sight of his now content face and purely blissful smile. You almost paused your strumming when you met his adoring eyes that was filled full of admiration and appreciation. The way he gazed at you told you everything that was needed to convince yourself: Taehyung did love you dearly and you could trust him with all your heart.

With the wonderful thought, you mirrored his grin and smiled beautifully as you sang the last verse:

There's no need to complicate,
Our time is short.
This is our fate.
I'm yours.

You finished the song with a graceful swipe of the guitar strings, never breaking eye contact with Taehyung. You barely registered the applause from the rest of the boys as you gazed at the boy that you loved sitting in front of you. "Happy birthday Tae," you said sincerely, taking off the guitar strap and handing it backwards for someone to take. "Do you like the present?"

Taehyung stood up slowly, and you were about to take a step back when he grabbed your wrist and pulled you closer instead. He gently wrapped his arms around you and pressed you against his chest. "Of course, I love it," his breath was warm next to your ear, and you breathed in his fresh smell.

Oh god, I'm definitely the luckiest person on earth!

Taehyung pulled back and held your hand in his two palms softly yet firmly, looking into your eyes with his deep, brown orbs. "________-ah, will you please be my girl?" His voice was velvety and musical to your ears, and you found yourself blushing as the other boys oooh-ed loudly.

You gave him a wide, content smile and replied, bringing your other hand up to rest on his large ones, "Taehyung-ah, I said it in the song and I'll say it again:

I'm yours."