Part 3: The Kiss of Life

Kiss of Life

There was an accident.

 

Sandara watches as the Kwon Manor being engulf by flames, burning and slowly receding into ashes in front of her. Beside her, Grandmother began to bawl as Grandfather Kwon tries his best to comfort her. It wasn't the material things they were worried about but instead the memories the house held for thousands of generations already. Sandara thought that they were coming like a flashback in Grandmother’s head, a series of events that occurred inside the house.

 

Jiyong grits his teeth, and says, "This is now beyond what I'm thinking of."

 

Sandara looks at him but he wasn't at her side anymore.

 

"Sandara!" She quickly whip her head, and see Jiyong in the house, being eaten by the flames. He reaches out his hand as he moan in pain. Sandara runs up to him, but before she could save him, the fire suddenly turns green and Sandara's eyes widen in fear, as if the vile green fire means much worse than the red orange one. The vile green fire gathers to the center of the house, and forms a face of an attractive woman, who speaks coldly, "You cannot escape me, Sandara Park."

 

Suddenly, she finds herself surrounded by a circle of vile green fire. Her chest starts to contract, and she found it hard to breathe as the air around her thins. Sandara closed her eyes tightly as she heave every breath.

 

"Sandara!"

 

She could've saved Jiyong if she didn’t wake up and just pretended that he didn't break her curse. He could've been alive now, safe from Haeloun's curse and away from the witch herself.

 

"Sandara!"

 

She opens her eyes hesitantly and finds herself staring at a pair of worried dark brown eyes. "It's okay." He whispers, assuring. "It's fine."

 

But Sandara knows otherwise. He isn't safe and the thought could only make her feel bad. She starts to cry, tears escaping from her eyes hastily and no matter how ugly she feels at the moment, all she can think about is the safety of the people she have come to love.

 

Jiyong hugs her quickly as if he didn't care about her current appearance, and whispers in her ear, "I'm strong enough to protect both of us."

 

But it was a lie. Captain had once said it before...and look at her now. A thousand years old, broken from a terrible past and never a part of the world.

 

~

 

Jiyong had told her all about his escapade and of his desire to be brave for himself. But she knew in her heart that he was brave enough because he ventured in the forest, entered a tower he doesn't know and woke her up. Every passing day and fleeting moment means they're living a brave life for actually living.

 

Sandara drops the newly skinned apple on his plate and begins to skin one again. The old couple decided to go to Seoul to check up on things a week ago while Junhyung went on a vacation and Jiyong let his driver go with him. They're the only ones left to guard the house. Tomorrow, they are all scheduled to go back.

 

"I wish someone will like me too." Sandara wishes, skinning the apple with wonder. "Just like how your fans adore you."

 

Jiyong stares at her and says, "Well, I like you."

 

Sandara flinches and accidentally cuts her finger, giving it a nasty long slice starting from the tip up to the middle. "Ouch," She whispers.

 

Jiyong quickly and forcefully pulls her to the sink and rushes water over it. "You should watch carefully whenever you're holding sharp objects." The cold water from the tap didn’t help in cooling her warm face.

 

"Sorry." Sandara breathes as she watches him taking her finger out from under the faucet, kisses it lightly and wraps it with a bandage, which he got from the open First Aid kit in the cupboard. "You should have never joked that badly." She reprimands as they go back to the bar stools. Jiyong starts to peel the apples they're having for snack in her stead.

 

It has been just six months since they met and Sandara, even though born in an era where marriages happen so fast, knows that six months is a short time to love a person whose identity for the past thousand years was a mystery.

 

Jiyong drops an apple on her plate and says, "Who says I'm joking? I love you and that's the end of it. Just so you know, someone is caring for you. You are a part of the world.”

 

He looks at the opposite side and hides his blushing face, which from Sandara's view is still evident. His ears is red even, letting his veins stand out. He, who's always seem so cool and composed, blushes and she finds it cute.

 

Sandara stands up and says, "Well then, just to let you know, I love you too."

 

"What?" Jiyong turns, perplexed but Sandara had rushed over upstairs already in attempt to escape the embarrassment.

 

He laughs, shaking his head and eats the apple by himself.

 

~

 

"Come on, let's have dinner!" Jiyong calls from the other side, knocking on the door loudly. Sandara covers both of her ears as her face flares up. "No!" She screams at the top of her lungs, and it came out like a shriek instead of a scream. To not let him enter her room, she had blocked the door using her own body. She sits against the door, knees pushed to her chest and hands on her ears, desperately trying to calm herself down. Jiyong has been trying to get her out for dinner for the part hour.

 

"What's so embarrassing about a confession? You did it before!" He says, knocking again and from the looks of it, he will never get tired of knocking on her door may it be for another hour.

 

Samdara shouts back, "That's why it's so embarrassing! Because I confessed to Kwon Jiyong too back then!"

 

"I'm coming in!" He announces and before she could react, the door behind her pushes her forward as it opens.

 

"I forgot to lock it!" She gasps when Jiyong turns his body towards her after finding out she wasn’t on the bed, but before she could stand and run away again to retreat to another room, Jiyong was already stooping in front of her. She covers her flustered face, and screams again, "No! Don't look at me!"

 

He sighs, showing his patience and says, "Come on, it's fine." He grabs both of her arms as she starts to scream, "No! No!"

 

He forcefully pushes her arms away from her face, and pins them on the door, giving him full access to her red, embarrassed face. Sandara screams, "What--!”

 

But the rest of her shout echoes inside Jiyong's mouth as he kiss her.

 

For a few seconds she didn’t respond and after pulling out momentarily, with a stoic face Jiyong says, “At least respond like the way you did when I told you I love you.”

 

He kisses her again on the lips, passionately and Sandara closes her eyes as she responds, moving in sync with his. Jiyong moves deeper and she starts to lose her breath. The moment she gasps, he takes it as an opportunity to insert his tongue inside .

 

Sandara gasps again because his tongue feels alien inside . But nevertheless, as expected of the Prince of South Korea, she finds pleasure from his swirling tongue a few seconds after he inserts it. They exchange sweet kisses instead of words. His tongue plays with hers, lapping and playing until he parts with her lips to pay attention to her neck. He her flesh from the left side, kissing and biting it at the same time and Sandara shudders from both the pain and pleasure. When Jiyong stops, she finds herself pinned down by him and giving him an look.

 

“L-Let’s have dinner.” He says as he pulls her up and Sandara gasps as she sees herself in the mirror.

 

“What’s this?” She exclaims, pointing at the big red mark on her neck. He shrugs and says, “When you’re in love and you officially date, you give them that. It’s a sign of ownership.”

 

Sandara crosses her arms. “Is that so? Why am I not aware of this even after reading a lot of modern romance novels?”

 

“It’s because the reference you are reading are not for your age.” He rolls his eyes. “Come on, let’s eat dinner.”

 

But before he could pull her away, Sandara tackles him to the bed and pins him down by sitting on his stomach. “What now?” He asks, seemingly both annoyed and satisfied.

 

Sandara blushes as she lowers her face onto his neck and after gathering her conviction, on his flesh at the right side of his neck. She bites, kisses and at the same time, trying to make it redder than hers.

 

Jiyong can only laugh loudly at the childish gesture.

 


 

After giving each other a lot of kiss marks on the neck until there’s no more space left, they finally decided to eat dinner. Sandara blushes as she stares at the kiss marks she gave Jiyong on his neck and chest. They were all red and in the form of her lips, making her more of embarrassed than accomplished.

 

She hastily finishes her food, faster than before and she doesn’t care anymore if she’s going to be reprimanded for doing so because it may affect her digestion. After finishing her meal, she deliberately screams, “Thank you for the meal!”

 

Jiyong’s eyes widen when he notices that she didn’t run away as she usually does because of embarrassment. Instead, he sees Sandara fidgeting in front of him, her face red and trying to stir up a conversation.

 

He smiles. Sandara taught him how to love again for the past six months, a thing he forgot when he got engaged to Hwayoung. He can clearly remember how her motto justice is better than equality affected him rather than give him a definite warning. Sandara always loves everything despite their kind, race, character and religion. She insists it was a gift from the fairies, but he knew better that no one gifted her the gift of justice.

 

She swallows and whispers, “I’m sorry for acting weird earlier. I am just embarrassed with what’s happening, after all in my time we don’t do this kind of thing. Kiss is the most intimate thing you can do with your partner before marriage.”

 

Jiyong places his chin on top of his palm and says, “But you’re actually enjoying it, do you?”

 

Sandara blushes and hides her face, but from the corner of her eye, she watches as Jiyong smile at her. She subconsciously touches one of the kiss marks he gave and blush again as she remembers what happened before.

 

“Sandara,” He whispers and she turns her head quickly. Sandara finds Jiyong’s face an inch from her, and she subconsciously moves her head a little backwards to lengthen the gap.

 

Jiyong smiles and says, “I love you.”

 

Sandara blushes again but instead of running away because of embarrassment, she presses her forehead against his and whispers, “I love you too.”

 

Jiyong places his hand at the back of her head and kisses her nose.

 


 

They hold hands as they wait for Jiyong’s grandparents in the front porch. Jiyong had arranged a simple lunch at a restaurant somewhere in Jeju-do for them to celebrate. According to him, today is a very special day. She asked him why, and she regretted it when he said, “Because we’re officially dating.”

 

Sandara squeezes his hand, trying to take out the unease she’s feeling inside and he responds by squeezing back. A familiar car screeches as it stops in front of the mansion, and instead of just Jiyong’s grandparents, his parents also come out.

 

“You need to get out of here, son.” His father says after bowing at both of them as a greeting. “The media followed us out to here. They must’ve known we’re accompanying your grandparents home.”

 

Sandara’s legs almost give up when she heard the word ‘media’. Based from Jiyong’s stories about them, she could tell they are resemble Haeloun in cruelty and dishonouring.

 

Her eyes waver and her whole body starts to shake. Jiyong stops holding her hand so he could hug her instead, pushing her close to him as possible. “It’s okay.” He whispers against her ear, trying to calm her down. “They won’t get us.”

 

“Son, we need to get you back to Seoul. You are not safe here anymore.” His father quickly says. “Get in the car.”

 

“What about Sandara?” Jiyong asks, pulling Sandara closer to him. “I can’t leave her here.”

 

“We’re going to take care of her until everything calms down, Jiyong.” His grandmother answers in his father’s stead. “For now, you need to go back to Seoul. It’s for her safety. If the media sees you with her now, people will really come back at you for breaking off the engagement with Hwayoung.”

 

As if to call her, Hwayoung steps out of the car in her casual clothes: sweatpants, sweatshirt, snapback and a pair of running shoes to top it all off. Regardless of the state of her fashion, Hwayoung still looks as gorgeous as ever. She has beach wavy auburn hair, little make-up to accentuate her beauty and her S-line can still be seen even amidst the baggy sweatshirt. Jiyong isn’t fazed at all by her beauty and Sandara sighs inwardly in relief.

 

“Yah, Kwon Jiyong!” Hwayoung starts, glaring at Jiyong. “How dare you give me stress like that? Go back to Seoul and fix it yourself!”

 

Jiyong’s parents goes back inside the Audi, starting the engine immediately and Jiyong turns at Sandara. “I’ll come back.” He promises, kissing her on the forehead and before she could answer him the same—that she will wait for him—he was gone in front of her.

 

Sandara watches as the Audi speeds off at a distance and the next thing she knows, she was being pulled inside the mansion by Grandfather Kwon as people with cameras rushes to them.

 


 

Sandara gives Hwayoung her personal brewed coffee and sits beside her. They have closed the curtains to hide from the media, but she can still hear the faint noises of flashes and talks. The old couple have decided minutes ago to go to bed early, since their bodies can’t take to stay up all night. Hwayoung and Sandara offered to guard all through the night to make sure the media doesn’t do anything reckless.

 

Hwayoung crosses her legs as Sandara takes a sip from her cup. The latter doesn’t have any animus feelings against Jiyong’s childhood friend nor would she have a reason for them to have bad blood, but the way she’s acting right now makes her uncomfortable. Hwayoung has disregarded her sweet and innocent character after the old couple went upstairs and has been very cold and distant to her for the past hour. Even if she doesn’t say anything, Sandara could feel the tension between them building up.

 

At last, Hwayoung chuckles with her head down and arms crosses, and after filling Sandara up with dread with her laugh, says, “You all quickly fell under my spell.”

 

Sandara scoots farther from Jiyong’s childhood friend and her grip on her cup tightens as she’s being filled with remorse. Hwayoung lifts up her head and glares down at Sandara, her eyes turning vile green instantly. “Do you think I will not let my revenge go on?”

 

She stands up, making Sandara cower to the side of the sofa. Hwayoung smirks at the sight of fear, her nostrils inhaling the anxiety filling the air and says, “Did you think I will not let you die?”

 

Hwayoung clenches her hand and Sandara feels like her neck is being grappled. The latter chokes, desperately trying to breathe.

 

But Hwayoung laughs at her desperate attempt and says, “Come on. Let’s have some fun, Gongju.”

 


 

Jiyong can’t calm down. He has been pacing down and forth at his house’s living room, praying that Sandara’s safe or that she won’t have any panic attacks without him there. His mother has been worried for the hours he has been spending pacing around and had already ordered the housemaids to bring him a lot of snacks.

 

“You don’t understand.” He says to the head housemaid, who he’s close to ever since he was a child. “I can’t calm down when I know she’s not safe every hour.”

 

The head housemaid sighs and grabs something from the inside of her pocket. “I know this is not right but here is your phone.” She says, outstretching her hand that was holding the white handphone. “Please do make use of it wisely.”

 

Jiyong bows gratefully as she exits the living room and quickly dials Sandara’s number. There were a few taps within the rings and after five consecutive ones, an answer came out, “Hello?”

 

Jiyong smiles and says, “Sandara? Are you okay?”

 

“Help me.” She whispers.

Jiyong’s eyes widen at the sudden answer and he’s too perplexed he almost drop his phone. “What? Where are you?” He hysterically asks, trying to calm himself down. If he makes rash decisions after not fully understanding the situation, it can harm Sandara furthermore.

 

“Hwayoung…” She starts, sobbing. “She’s Haeloun all along.”

 

For a moment, Jiyong forgot how to breathe. The world even stopped spinning. All he can think about is the danger Sandara in, and the game Haeloun played ever since he’s young.

 

“Sandara?” He says after he finds his voice. “Sandara? Can you hear me?”

 

“As of now, she can’t.” He hears a cold voice over the phone. “And if you don’t go here now, she won’t hear your voice for forever.”

 


 

"Kwon Jiyong! You are not going to step out of this premises until I say so!"

 

"I'd rather die trying to save the woman I love than wait here cowardly!" Jiyong shouts back at his father, his parka draped over his left arm while his other hand clutches his car keys. As soon as the call ended with Hwayoung, he tried booking the next flight to Jeju-do but they were all full. So he decided to wait and sleep at the airport instead to catch up available flights.

 

"I don't want to be the coward Jiyong who always hides behind your back whenever he's in trouble. I am not a little kid anymore and I am not the Kwon Jiyong before. I'll answer this by myself." He says, and the human wall blocking him from going outside softens. "Sandara told me I was brave to save her knowing her past. That's why I..." He swallows. "I will save her knowing she believes in me."

 

His father sighs and says, "Then use the private plane if you want to go there."

 

"A what?" Jiyong asks, perplexed.

 

His father loosens his tie. "Let's go, son. I'll fly you to Jeju-do."

 

It all happened so fast, and Jiyong now finds himself sitting at the cockpit of the private plane their family owns. It turns out that his father learned driving a plane as a past time and he bought a plane to travel the world with his wife after Jiyong takes over the business.  Jiyong can only look with wide eyes at his father when he started flicking a few switches and speaking a few times over the receiver, "Plane taking off to Jeju-do. Airbus A319-100, preparing for take-off."

 

Jiyong slightly jerks when the plane starts to work, running along the runway. He frantically searches for his seatbelt and fastens it as fast he could. The plane makes a jarring noise, and Jiyong wishes that he should've bought a ticket in an economy seat rather than here.

 

The plane starts to ascend and Jiyong's stomach dips. His legs start to shake and he feels like it will start to give in.

 


Jiyong stops his car in front of the manor, and in an instant, he's surrounded by flashes and reporters. Leaving his shades behind, he steps out of his car and greet the reporters with a bow.

 

"Mr. Kwon Jiyong, the nation is dying to know what is happening between you and Lee Hwayoung. Everyone needs an in depth answer about your reasons of breaking up with her and of your reason why you went to Jeju-do." One reporter presses and the others shout in anticipation.

 

"First of all," Jiyong says, smiling. "This is private property. I can sue you all with trespassing. Not just because you're reporters means you can freely step in different properties without the consent of the owner."

 

One by one, microphones and recorders are being brought down. The video cameras are still up, but the reporters have stepped back in fear.

 

"My engagement with Lee Hwayoung is nothing but a manufactured relationship done by both of our parents in their misunderstanding of our feelings of each other. I have decided to break off the engagement because I don't want to lie with the public anymore and nor do I want to lie with my own heart. I am the one who broke off the engagement because it's cowardly of me to actually let Hwayoung shoulder the burden. I'd rather get the hate from all of you rather than let her get them by herself. And most of all, I broke off the engagement because..." His voice trails off and the media anticipates his next words. Jiyong looks directly at the camera at the center and says, "I don't want to hurt the person I love."

 

The media was about to ask him more questions when Jiyong ran up to the manor and open it, closing it in time the media reaches him.

 

His eyes widen at the status of the whole manor, and a hint of deja vú hits him like a piece of bread. Its interior is the same as the tower Sandara was locked up in the past. There is a circle of stairs going up to the highest part of the house, and there was nothing but being surrounded by bricks.

 

Jiyong swallows and starts climbing the stairs, hoping its challenges awaiting concerns no dragons.

 


 

Hwayoung didn't tie Sandara up nor did she even concern locking her. Instead, she transformed the manor into the tower she once slept in for a thousand years, made her wear a modern long gown and dragged to the top floor. She ordered Sandara to sit on the bed, and the latter did so obediently. Haeloun, Sandara decided to call her that instead, tenders the fire in the chimney.

 

"Your father is my childhood friend." Haeloun starts, her voice melancholic. "He promised me that he'll marry me one day. But when he was faced in a danger where he's being pressed with his loyalties, he chose the King. He cut my wings off to offer to the King, and I became miserable. He married the King's daughter in the end. But I didn't get my revenge. I remained as soft hearted I can be. Because..." her voice trails off. "I found out I was pregnant with his child. I am very happy to have the child and I didn't think of the agony without flying as long as I can see her fly. They found out that the Queen is barren a few months after the marriage and had kept it a secret. Then your father knew I was pregnant, after ordering some of his guards to look at my condition. After I gave birth, some of the fairies protected my child as I remain unconscious. But when I woke up, she....she was gone."

 

Haeloun continues after merely sobbing. "I found out she was taken away by the King forcefully from the other fairies. I grew in rage, but I can't act until my wounds have finally healed. When I can finally walk, she's going to be introduced as the princess. I was terrified."

 

Sandara shakes as cold air blows over her neck. She doesn't want to hear the story but at the same time, she's curious why Haeloun decided to put a curse on her.

 

Haeloun continues, still in a trance. "I went to the castle to retrieve my baby because she's the only one I have left. I am no fairy without wings nor am I a mother without a baby. Without both, I have no identity. I want to ensure her future to be perfect so I put a little spell on her as she peacefully sleeps on her hammock. I have talked to Melinalssi before, and she knew what to do. I don't care if I'm going to be a villain in the end, at least I protected her from her selfish father. She's never going to be happy in that era."

 

"I made sure that the perfect person would only kiss her lips, trying to ensure that even not a royal blood but someone worthy of her love would kiss her. I wanted for Chief Kwon Jiyong to kiss you, but he didn't kiss you on the lips. It's a sign that he's not brave enough to know if he's the one, even not a prince. Then, as the 21st century enfolds, I changed form and became Lee Hwayoung. I met several men but never worthy of my daughter's love until I met the coward yet brave Kwon Jiyong, whose name the same as the Chief's but heart braver than his. I made sure he meets you, and the one who'll kiss you. There's no one out there who's worthy of your love than him, who shows bravery in times his love one needs him." Haeloun turns and looks at her. "I'm sorry, my daughter. Your mother is an erratic person to begin with, but I just wanted to ensure a perfect future for you. You may not like me after this but--"

 

Before she could finish her sentence, Sandara runs up towards her to give her a hug and she starts to sob uncontrollably. "Thank you for protecting me all this time." She squeezes her tighter. "Thank you."

 

Haeloun touches the back of Sandara's head, closing her eyes in the softness of her daughter’s hug.


 

Jiyong reaches the first half of the stairs, but nothing is still coming out. There is still no dragon or trap set that will try to get his life. He continue to climb, slowly to regulate his breathing. Overhead, he notices something like an old oak tree, as if it grew beside the stairs all along.

 

When he reaches the tree, he stops beside it as a Stop sign stops him from his tracks. A vile green smoke appears, circling him and then finally puffing in front of him, creating a long table with three items on top: an apple, a banana and a kiwi.

 

A fortune cookie is at the middle, also on top, greeting his bloodshot eyes. Jiyong takes the cookie and reads the question printed on the paper.

 

Every moment with her is precious. On March 11, you both went to the beach to catch the seafood. After catching, you both went to the restaurant. What is the first thing she craved as you wait for the order?

 

Jiyong closes his eyes as he try to remember. It must be their first time going to the beach. He dips in the ocean, trying to catch an octopus and several urchins for them to eat. Sandara waited for him by the shore, talking with Grandmother Kwon on the phone. When he went back, she was overjoyed with the catch: 3 octopuses and 3 red sea urchins. They went to the restaurant to have it cooked so they could eat. As they wait for the food at their table, Sandara groaned and said,

 

"Banana." Jiyong answers, grabbing the banana. "She said she wanted a banana because it reminded her of the twins."

 

The long table disappears as well as the tree beside him, and he continues going up the stairs, eating the banana along the way. He can feel that a day has passed since he entered the tower. Walking 1/3 of the stairs takes a day, he notices, and every end of the day, he'll receive a game to play to advance to the next part. Haeloun must be toying with him to make a ridiculous obstacle, but still he's thankful it's nothing like fighting a dragon, which he cannot obviously win even if he is G-Dragon.

 

He takes a short time to rest, sitting on top of a stair case and trying to catch his breathe. His legs feel like jelly and it was worse than participating in running man. He could never forget how tired he is after being chased by HaHa and Yoo Jae Suk.

 

After a few minutes, he starts climbing again, straining and forcing his legs to their limits.  All he can do now is to be brave for Sandara, whose life could be in danger. Jiyong can only think of his mistake, for not guarding himself with Hwayoung. If she’s Haeloun all along, then he must’ve brought her to Sandara, or if not, he accidentally brought Sandara to her. As he ascends, he can only feel remorse to himself, blaming all of these to his mistakes. He just wishes that Sandara is safe.

 

The night falls and he feels like it’s 0 KST. He should know better, since he always releases songs at that hour. Jiyong readies himself when he hears rapid footsteps.

 

He stops when the footsteps become louder. Jiyong blinks twice and his eyes immediately widen. “Sandara?” He asks, doubtful.

 

She’s wearing the same knee-length St. Laurent dress he gave her before with the star-adored fleece jacket. She smiles warmly at him and says, “Hi.”

Jiyong raises his brow. “What happened?”

 

Sandara puts an index finger on her lips, giggling. “Shh,” She says, chuckling. “I tricked Hwayoung. Let’s go!”

 

She jumps to him, and Jiyong can only catch her in his arms as he’s still perplexed. Sandara breaks the hug and starts to close the gap between them.

 

“Woah, woah.” Jiyong gasps, holding her away from him. “What are you trying to do?”

 

“Kiss you.” She says, smiling sweetly and seductively at him. “Them maybe we can start having on this stairs if you want.”

 

“Are you drunk?” Jiyong snaps, holding her away from him. “Are you on drugs? Why are you so high?”

 

“High high.” She sings his song, giggling. “I am so hiiiiigh.”

 

Jiyong sighs. “Tell me what happened. Did Hwayoung let you drink some sort of concoction?”

 

Sandara shakes her head dismissively. “No. Let’s just get out of here. This place is getting in my head.”

 

Jiyong can take her word for the truth until Sandara starts to his pants and his fly. “What are you doing?” He gasps, his face turning red in embarrassment.

 

“I want to please you.” She chuckles, trying to push his pants down.

 

He stoops his knees in front of her and Sandara’s eyes sparkle. “Are we going to French kiss first?” She asks, her lips seductively.

 

“I won’t do it with you.” Jiyong says, his voice cold and adamant. “Not ever.”

 

Tears start to pool in her eyes and Sandara slaps him on the face. “Why?” She whispers, sobbing. “WHYYYY?” She shouts when he didn’t reply quickly.

 

Jiyong looks straight in her eyes and says, “Because you’re not Sandara.”

 

Fake Sandara holds her face, shrieking in horror as she turns into a rock and then crumbles in front of him, until she’s nothing but ash. Jiyong almost cry, imagining if it happens to the real one at any minute. From where she’s used to be standing, is another banana.

 

He picks it up and continue to ascend the stairs, now finally reaching 2/3 of it while eating the banana. The pine tree, which he didn’t notice until he slightly turn his head, disappears out of sight. His sight narrows whenever he sees Sandara, and she’s the only one he sees as if his eyes disregard his surroundings.

 

With new resolve after seeing even the fake Sandara, Jiyong’s leg start to disregard the numbness it’s feeling and brings him into greater heights. He oversees a small door, the same door in the tower Sandara was locked up before, and his pace quickens. But no matter how many staircase he’s taking per second, his progress is very slow. Maybe it’s timed to let him enter at the end of the day.

 

His memories with Sandara for the past six months suddenly flashed back into his mind as he nears to the door. Her smiles that always catches him off guard, the unexpected faces she makes whenever he teases her, and the involuntary laugh she gives off whenever he cracks a joke. All of this are memories he dearly holds to preserve until he grows old with Sandara. His relationship, after all, with her is not a game but rather a potential to become ‘till death do they part.

 

Night falls again and Jiyong catches his breath. His body feels numb from the 3 day straight climbing, and even his insides are shaking from exhaustion. He just ate a banana every day, worsening the state of his stomach.

 

Midnight falls and he reaches the door at the same time. Jiyong takes his shaking hand to the knob and twists it. There was a fire in the hearth at his left as soon as he entered, warming the place as it crackles calmly. A four-poster bed, the same one Sandara slept on for a thousand years, was placed opposite of him, the curtains drawn to hide what’s inside.

 

He’s about to open the drawn back curtain when there was a rustle on his right, and Jiyong turns in time to see Sandara walking towards him. He cautiously raise a brow and say, “Hey, you okay?”

 

Sandara sobs and runs up to him, entering his open arms. Jiyong catches her usual scent—peppermint, cherryblossom and a faint touch of cherry, like a good chaser for strong drinks. Sandara squeezes his arms and sobs against his ear.

 

“Are you okay? Nothing happened?” He asks, and Sandara quickly stiffens, her body turning rigid. She quickly breaks the hug and breathlessly whispers, “Take me.”

 

“What?” Jiyong snaps. “Take you to what? Take you from what?”

 

Sandara answers, still out of breath. “Take my ity away.”

 

Jiyong almost lose his consciousness due to shock and repeats, “Take your ity away? Are you insane?”

 

“But,” Her voice trails off as she sobs, clutching onto his sleeves. “Hwayoung told me that if you don’t for the next 2 hours, she won’t stop until I am dead.”

 

Jiyong looks at her inquisitively. “This is not an option, Sandara. Honestly, this is plain crazy. I can’t—“

 

Sandara quickly hugs him before he can finish his sentence, letting the last word hang around the dark, cloistered room. Jiyong pulls her into a tight hug again and whispers, “Let’s find another answer together.”

 

“Please,” Sandara begs, clutching tightly on his sleeves and she pushes her pelvis against him in desperate attempt to make him give in. “I don’t want to die.”

 

“Neither do I want you to. But this is not our option, Sandara.” He answers softly, trying to calm her down even though his own member is throbbing beneath him and his face is as red as a monkey’s .

 

“And besides,” He adds, smiling. “I can’t love you Hwayoung. You’re not Sandara.”

 

He breaks the hug and Hwayoung smiles at him softly. “Please take care of my daughter for me.”

 

“Daughter?” Jiyong maliciously repeats.

 

Hwayoung just smiles at him, not replying and disappears into a vile green smoke. For a few minutes, Jiyong is left in a trance, trying to decipher any code left by Hwayoung’s words until he remembers Sandara. He runs up to the four poster bed, sliding the curtain aside and smiles at the sleeping form of Sandara Park.

 

And this time, he knows why he can wake her up with his kiss. Even though he is not from royalty, his love for her is that of a prince—true, everlasting and strong. Jiyong places his arms on either side of her head, caressing her soft locks and closes in for a kiss, giving her life again.


Kiss of Life, 2015

Ikalsada

Thank you.

Shameless plugging: 

If you want to buy Kpop Albums and Merchandises please follow on instagram: @tttop.shop

If you want to ask me anything follow me on twitter and on ask.fm: @ikalsada