Chapter 1

Tell Me, Mama (SEMI-HIATUS)

Hey, you there! Yeah, you!

What do you think you're doing, prying into this secret book of... ahem, a certain boy band?

What? You said it was published on a website dedicated to fanfictions?

This is not a fanfiction*! Are you kidding me right now?

No? Fine. 

But I'm not going to let you go this easily, just so you know.

Wait, you said you already read the prologue of this book without my notice. 

Now you've got to be joking! I put it on draft mode for a reason!!! 

You know what, never mind. Read this chapter if you so desire. It starts off in the Palace of Everlasting.

To avoid confusion: my words will be in bold.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You look great, Hyunjae," Aiyoung remarked wistfully. I was wearing a lengthy gown of ivory with the designs of pink lotuses, my Mama symbol.

"Yeah, I guess," I looked down and sighed, the folds of my gown fluttering as I plopped onto my plushy bed.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her eyes never leaving mine.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I'm not really sure if I can be... a Mama." Even though I was well aware of the role, THE MAMA still sounded... a tad bit on the humorous side. 

Haha. The Mama. THE MAMA.

Sorry-you said you were reading? Continue.

"You're going to be a great Mama," she reassured me, patting my back. I had to stifle a giggle and choked in the process. "Yeah, great one," I muttered.

"By the way, I met the Guardians."

The Guardians were twelve males that the court members doted on, pretending that they were dating them. To me, they were twelve boys... who just so happened to be Guardians alongside me.

Sidenote: (yes, I am very well aware you're reading) The Guardians may as well be cute and cuddly kittens that you snuggle with and Hyunjae still wouldn't care.

Wait, that can't be right. Kittens are adorable. Kittens, however, bow down to chocolate. 

Well, they don't exactly.

Maybe I should shut up.

Their powers, however, was nowhere near my (totally awesome, amazing, awesome, fantastic, out-of-this-world, did I mention awesome?) Creation skills. Some kung fu and violin was thrown in there as well.

Hiyah! insert-violin-sounds-here.

I checked the clock on the wall. It read 8:30 AM.

"Does everything look ok?" I asked her, diverting the subject and looking at the leaf-shaped mirror directly in front of me.

"I already said, you look great! Your makeup's perfect, not one strand of your hair's out of place, everything's... good," she responded. 

I stared at Mama Me in the mirror. The "natural" makeup on my face was actually a crap ton of makeup, eyeliner, mascara and of course, fiery red eyeshadow. Not much, thank the Tree.

"You did a good job with the makeup, sis." I thanked her. "The other makeup artists would've done worse."

Aiyoung smiled sweetly. "See, this is why you have the lotus flower as your symbol."

I stared at her for a second and then slapped her arm, laughing. "Come on! You know the other makeup artists would've wanted me pale! At least you stuck with my natural tan complexion of perfection," I flipped my hair, then realizing it was in a bun, flicked my hand.

"Come on, let's go to the phoenixes." We both jumped of my bed and went to the courtyard where the mechanical birds were waiting. 

The Palace's visitor-recieving section and the living quarters was separated by a huge lake. The only way to get from one area to the other was, well, getting across the lake. The direct descendants of the previous Mama (me and my sis) had the perks of flying around on a mechanical phoenix that was quite high-tech. 

I would strongly advise against building your own mechanical phoenixes UNLESS you know stuff about mechanics and engineering. Then go ahead! Waste all of your savings and go into deep debt but spend all of your life on trying to build one then in the end DIE AND FAIL hoping your children will continue the task but that's not going to happen because they're interested in other stuff.

For example, chocolate. And if you're eating chocolate as well, free high five for you!

They were flying around the fountain and landed on the ground when they saw us. I bowed to them, out of respect, and hopped on the leather saddle stapped onto it's back. 

"To the other side of the Palace, please," I commanded and we took off, staying kind of low to the ground. Their wings of fire spread out on both sides and I could smell the spray of the lakes as the phoenixes skimmed onto the water. Just for a moment, it was like all of my future duties as Mama were gone, lost. In that moment of time, I felt carefree.

For a minute. Or two.

Then we reached the shore and the reality of the world crashed back onto me. We approached the Palace from up above, looking down at the smallish size of the crowd gathered in front of the Throne Room. I saw a boy briefly glance up and see us. 

It must be my imagination, I thought. No one could see us from here. The phoenixes took a speedy but silent dive behind the Palace and we hopped off as soon as we touched the ground.

"See you soon," I whispered, the bird's metal head. It gave a slight nod and flew away. 

"Well, here we are, standing in front of the back door of the Palace," Aiyoung looked at the simple wooden door in awe. I giggled. "It's just a back door, silly." I turned the knob and we entered the Room of No Purpose. Really. It had no purpose. I conjured a mirror, checking if my hair was OK.

Not a strand flew out. That was a good sign.

Ever seen Sh*t Girls Say About Hair? 

"So, what do we do now?" I waved my hand in front of the mirror, making it disappear. "I've told the Jiaohuang that we've arrived," Aiyoung looked up from her holographic watch. "The guests have entered in the Throne Room, so all you have to do is recieve the last accessories that you will wear... but first, we walk." 

And we walked, from one wall/wing to another, until we reached the Main Gate with a clear view of the Throne Room. There were no crowds in front of it.

"Come on, let's go down," I said as I walked down the stairs. "Where do we go?"

"Here," someone called out. I spun around to see three of my Ladies-In-Waiting standing there with objects in their hands.

"First, the wristbands," one of them handed me three silver bracelets that I slipped onto my wrists.

Guess the band design! Did you guess phoenix/fire/flames? Then you're correct! 

"This necklace..." another clasped a short necklace onto my neck.

"And this..." The third one held in her hands a (fiery red) cloak that I secured on my neck.

"Looks good," Aiyoung remarked. The Ladies-In-Waiting nodded and hurried off. "I'll open the doors and you just walk right on in."

"Ok." We walked on the marble steps of the Throne Room, approaching the closed brass doors. 

"Here goes nothing," she breathed in and swung open the doors while I walked right on in, chin up like my Court taught me. I walked down the aisle slowly, glancing out of the corner of my eye to see people rising. 

My life basically lead up to this point.

I made my way across the marble flooring without tripping, stopping in front of the Jiaohuang. In his hands was the Crown, a truly bedazzling crown of every kind of gem and precious stone possible glittering in the shafts of light from the windows.

GLITTER. that's not right.

SPARKLE.

That's better.

He placed the Crown on my head as I kneeled. "Feng Hyunjae, as the Mama of this world, your sole duty is to represent and care for the citizens and aid the country in desparate times. Do you wish to take this title?" the Jiaohuang asked.

"Yes," I continued my kneel.

Doesn't have a choice anyways, am I right? Up top!

He took the (red) pillow from an official's hands and placed it in front of me. Laying on it was a polished broadsword of jade with a shiny gold handle. I lifted it up with both hands, holding it it up to the ceiling. It glowed a warm red and the glow twisted around my wrist.

I turned around to face the sea of faces. And smile. 

Or die trying.

"Feng Hyunjae, I now name you the Mama of this planet."

 

 

 

*it is.