Don't You Let It Go (epilogue)

This Night Is Sparkling (Don't You Let It Go)

It's his birthday and he can't believe he let Chanyeol talk him into going to a club. He doesn't know ninety nine percent of the people gathered here for him. Oh wait, he knows only Chanyeol. The others he only knows by name as Chanyeol regularly brings them up.

 

The cake is brought out amidst drunken cheers, and even drunker and uncoordinated birthday singing before another cheer is thrown out, champagne bottles popped open and sprayed everywhere.

 

Kris is partially drenched in alcohol and partialy caked in frosting -none of which went into his mouth and all of which went on his face and in his hair. After cleaning up in the men's room, he heads towards the bar and decides to get drunk for the night as well. It's his birthday bash and Chanyeol is paying.

 

His eyes instantly zero in on a short male with a lean frame, wearing a black jacket, copious amounts of eye liner and skinny jeans. He has slender fingers that hold his shot glass loosely as he stares at the dance floor and mouths the words to the track that's playing.

 

He looks up. Their gazes lock.

 

Kris quickly looks away, orders his drink and discreetly glances back at the male in skinny jeans. But he's gone.

 

"Wanna buy me a drink?" Kris nearly falls off the stool at the voice that comes from right beside him. He whips around to see the skinny jeans guy getting comfortable in the stool beside him. There's a tease, a lilt, a playfulness in his voice that reminds Kris of someone. There's also a familiarity in the tug of his lips and the twinkle in his eyes. But not really.

 

He can't put his finger on it, can't exactly pin point it. Where has he seen it before? Perhaps a TV show, or maybe some annoying person from his class? Or maybe the voice resembles his favourite song somewhat (What's his favourite song again?). Everything about this person is familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. It makes Kris vary -why can't he remember- and it makes him excited -for whatever godforsaken reason that he can't understand. Probably never will for the life of him. "You look like a newbie around here."

 

"I am." He swallows.

 

"Well then, let's hope you become a regular." There's the same grin again. Familiar. Unfamiliar. Attractive. Bright. " First round's on me, stranger, and I expect you to return the favour."

 

The holes inside him feel like they're being filled one by one by something concrete, like cement. This guy, Kris would be able to pick him out from a mass mob if he were given the chance, he's sure of it. There's something about him that makes him different from everyone else. Maybe because of the way he shines? He's not sure. That is a flashy jacket he's wearing though.

 

"Ok."

 

"By the way, I'm Baekhyun. What do they call you?"

 


whoops :| forgot to add the epilogue when I was posting the full story :| my bad!

The title comes from "Enchanted" a song cover by Owl City. I don't know why this fic came to me from that song, haha.
If you look a little deeper into the title, Baekhyun and Kris spend all their time out together at night, in places alight with laughter and colours. As the fic progresses, people start loosing their memories of Baekhyun, and Kris tries to hold on to those that he has. Thus it goes, "This Night is Sparkling (Don't You Let It Go)". No matter who forgets, Baekhyun will always remember, and he wants Kris to remember the happiness of those nights, if not Baekhyun himself.

"I'm wonderstruck" & "I'll spend forever wondering if you knew, I was enchanted to meet you" These particular lyrics drove almost half the fic lol. I wonder how many of you noticed the miniscule changes in Kris after Baekhyun left, both the positive and negative.

"The lingering question kept me up, two AM, who do you love? I'm wondering till I'm wide awake" These influenced some parts in the story too, you must have noticed, hahaha. "Now I'm pacing back and forth, wishing you were at my door, I'd open up and you would say, Hey" 

"Your eyes whisper have we met, across the room your silhouette, starts to make its way to me. The playful conversation starts, counter all your quick remarks, like passing notes in secrecy. All I can say is, it was enchating to meet you." & "My thoughts will echo your name, until I see you again, these were the words I held back, as I was leaving too soon" THESE drove the ending and the epilogue, apart from my own wish of always having somewhat of a happy ending.

"I just wish you knew, I was so in love with you"
 

Ok, NOW the story is closed! Hope you enjoyed! Feedback is much appreciated :)

 

Question: Why does Kris forget Baekhyun?
Forgetting the dead is a natural process in Neverland. (In the books, when Wendy and her brothers return to Neverland, Tinkerbell isn't present, and when they ask about her, Peter has no memories of her. Tinkerbell has actually died, but the inhabitats of Neverland have their memories wiped clean of her existance. This part played a very strong inspiration for the fic.)
So, when Baekhyun comes to their world & turns into one of them, he is still connected to Neverland (Baekhyun's transformation & the events surrounding him have been left as something of an unexplained mystery). The magic that comes with him shucks off onto those he comes into contact with in his human form, thus, even though they are human and are supposed to be immune to Neverland's power, they are still affected by it in the end.
As Baekhyun gets weaker, so do the memories of him. Kris is only able to retain them for a while because he holds onto them too strongly, but once Baekhyun dies, he can't fight off the natural process and looses them too.