This Night Is Sparkling

This Night Is Sparkling (Don't You Let It Go)

18k monster guys!
(seriously, half of this joy, and then the other half is kill-joy)


 

Kris is a no-nonsense man of facts, statistics, the believe-it-when-I-see-it-and-maybe-still-not-because-I-refuse-to type. He doesn't take from anyone, but he might do another's projects if he's given a good incentive, or money -either works.

 

He spends most of his all of his time cooped up in his room. He doesn't remember the last time he felt the sun on his face and when he looks out the window to attempt marveling at the beauty of the sunlit sky, he only sees stars struggling to shine against the polluted atmosphere. The moon is ugly tonight, he observes (The moon hisses back a silent insult). Kris shuts the curtains when he realizes with a resigned sigh that he was off from the supposed daylight time by a full twelve hours (where does time go?).

 

It doesn't matter though, because time flies when you're having fun, and writing up in-depth word docs that exceed the required word limit for project reports is very very fun. Even if his back kills him from sitting in one position all day and his knees tremble when he attempts to walk to the refrigerator or the bathroom with a straight back.

Kris hears the front door open with a loud bang and his flat mate's voice as he returns in his full drunken glory.

 

Kris pities the male.

 

Park Chanyeol has little brain cells to begin with. His flat mate's ritual nightly drinking, Kris believes, helps the male lose little parts of his brain every time he trips down the stairs, receives a slap or suddenly drops down in slumber whilst simply walking. It is a miracle the man is still alive and plain stupidity that he goes out drinking with his chums each night despite all the alcohol induced accidents he gets into. He had the galls to even invite Kris - absolutely scandalous! It's bad enough they're flat mates.

 

Kris waits for the sound of the door slamming shut.

 

Even in normalcy, Chanyeol doesn't open and close the door like normal a person should, could and must.

 

When Kris doesn't hear the exploding boom that he has filed as 'Drunk Chanyeol 2', he irritatingly gets up, his joints scream in pain and sigh in pleasure simultaneously, and he meets the sight of his flat mate laying still in the middle of the small corridor. Unfortunately, Chanyeol is neither covered in blood nor dead or dying.

 

The male steps over him to lock the door when a monstrous bug flies in and Kris has half a mind to keep himself from screaming. He can't remember where they put the electric fly swatter. Did they ever even buy one? Or did he stop the purchase at the last minute because he thought Chanyeol might kill him with it by accident?

 

Dismissing any regretful thoughts, he quickly picks up one of the flip flops lying next to the door and with a well aimed and calculated slap, smashes the bug against the wall.

 

Nothing makes Kris happier than success. Except money. Money and success are interrelated.

 

Also, nothing maddens Kris like Disney. It might have something to do with his senior year graduation title being 'Grumpy of Snow White', but Kris disagrees. He insists it's because he hates lies as fodder for entertainment.

 

News, stock exchange updates and transport schedules are entertaining enough.

                                                                                                                                                         

Thus, when Kris' eyes zero in on the bug, which has now slid down the wall, he thinks he might have caught Chanyeol's stupid.

 

Stupidity isn't supposed to be contagious. He had checked the first week he moved in with the male.

 

Really though, nothing can explain what he's seeing right now except alcohol, or drugs, or rose-tinted glasses, or a wickedly imaginative imagination, or being Chanyeol.

 

Kris pinches himself two times, makes sure he hasn't exchanged bodies with Chanyeol and goes through his Ten Breaths Procedure that he uses every time he thinks he might have a panic or rage attack.

 

The thing is still present. Laying there with a tiny human body, twitching limbs and transparent wings with glittering veins.

 

It's magnificent and absurd and unbelievable and this is a ing prank isn't it?

 

Kris picks up a small glass jar placed in the corner -this apartment has a brilliant history with that specific jar- and pokes the little retarded bug with it. Since the little thing obviously does not fit the definition of an insect, Kris terms it a 'mutant'. Damn radiation.

 

The only reason Kris traps the thing under the jar is because it looks too real and alive to be let go of so easily. Admittingly, he's also insanely curious.

 

Kris must prepare a private case study of this mutant.

 

Kris must plan manslaughter if he finds out this is a hoax.

 

He would have touched it properly to examine it thoroughly, but he's afraid he might catch the radiation. Chanyeol's existence would finally come in use here, in other words, the purpose of Chanyeol's birth has finally been revealed. Little sacrifices needed to be made for the greater good of gaining knowledge.

 

 

-

 

 

It's one of those rare mornings where Kris is woken up by Chanyeol instead of the other way round.

 

Wait ...

 

Kris never wakes Chanyeol, and Chanyeol never wakes up on time.

 

The youth slowly sits up in his bed, brows pulled down, pupils constricted and focused on his flat mate in a menacing glare.

 

"Why are you polluting my room with your presence?"

 

Chanyeol doesn't look the least bit fazed - he never does. A tank could be rolling out his window and he'd still be looking for a matching pair of socks in his cupboard.

 

Kris hopes Chanyeol hasn't misplaced anything in his room. His lanky flat mate has a tendency to make inanimate objects commit suicide every time he enters a room -especially the kitchen. Things just start falling off for no logically apparent reason. Park Chanyeol is one of the enigmas of the universe that Kris will neither dare nor take the time to figure out.

 

"Krease, get up! You have to help me!"

 

Kris slaps his hand over his face. His palm slowly drags down, stretching his skin, as he tries to make his irritation obvious.

 

"What did you try to cook and on a scale of one to ten, with ten being highest, how much is it moving on your plate?"

 

"I didn't cook anything, now, come on! Get up! You really have to see this!" Chanyeol bounces on his spot, his expression the opposite of his usual teeth-rich-happy-go-lucky face. It is then Kris notices that the male is wearing glasses, and Kris knows now that whatever it is, it's serious- because it's eye glasses.

 

He finally resigns himself to his fate.

 

Kris straightens down his old shirt and follows the other out into the kitchen where his vision instantly zooms in on the only thing out of place.

 

"Why is the dustbin on the counter? Why is it upside down in the first place? Why do you struggle to think normally? Why have I tolerated you for this long? Did I say that out loud?"

 

Chanyeol ignores him completely, "Krease! Look!" He exclaims as he stands next to the counter and animatedly points at the netted bin.

 

"Why on Earth would you hold a mouse under a bin?" Kris cries out exasperated.

 

"I wish it were a mouse, but I don't know what it is. I think my eyesight has gotten worse!" Chanyeol clutches his face desperately, "I can't remember what I did last night. Oh God!" The male reaches into his pocket to take out another pair of glasses and puts them over the one he's already wearing. He looks at the downturned bin, blinks furiously a few times before he miserably turns to his taller flat mate, "It's still a fairy!"

 

Last night comes back to Kris like a rock plummeting in his stomach juices -forever to remain undigested. It feels like he's the one with a memory loss from a being drunk instead of Chanyeol. "It's really a fairy?" Kris asks in a quiet voice.

 

"It is?"

 

"I'm asking you."

 

"I don't know," Chanyeol whines, "I'm stressed!" He gestures to the two pairs of glasses he's wearing.

 

So then, the little mutant he saw last night wasn't a joke from his flat mate. But ... "How did it get here?" Kris asks because he remembers he trapped the mutant in the entry way.

 

"It was under my special jar," Chanyeol pouts, "So I brought it here and put it under the bin."

 

"Chanyeol, I swear to God, if you try to grow an Opium Poppy in that jar again-"

 

"It's going to be a Cannabis this time." Chanyeol cuts him off. From the expression apparent on the younger's face, Kris can tell Chanyeol clearly remembers the day Kris yanked the Poppy out of the jar and started whipping Chanyeol with it.

 

"Isn't that what is made of?" He raises an eyebrow.

 

"Really? Jongin already sold me the seeds." Chanyeol frowns, "Maybe I'll just grow a Cactus."

 

Kris doesn't want to risk damaging his IQ so he turns his attention to the netted bin and tries to peer at the thing inside. He isn't sure if his eyes are deceiving him but the little mutant/fairy is sitting cross legged with arms crossed and staring back at him.

 

It looks like a little diva, Kris thinks to himself.

 

"Chanyeol," Kris calls, "Can you pick this thing up. I want to see it up close."

 

"Should we call him Tom Thumb?" Chanyeol asks, his nervousness at his deteriorating vision turns into excitement for other unimportant things of the world.

 

He picks up the dustbin and the little thing suddenly whizzes out past their waists, leaving a trail of shimmering gold dust in its wake. Kris swears he sees it turn its little human face around to stick a little pink tongue at them, and then the flat mates wince when the thing suddenly crashes heard first into the wall. The sound of the harsh contact is very loud in the small room. No one would be surprised if the thing broke a bone, or two, or all two hundred and six.

 

"Do you think Tom Thumb is ok?"

 

 

 

 

 

Kris is hesitant about picking up the mutant -he doesn't want to have any direct contact with anything created from radiation- but he doesn't have to worry much. (Now that he thinks about, just having something around him made out of radiations is dangerous. He hopes Chanyeol is an absorber -in order to fulfill his destiny and be a meaningful contributor to the society. There are enough people who puke on deserted side walks, thank you)

 

Chanyeol, ever the good silly Samaritan, hurries over to the thing and starts prodding it. "Hey, are you ok?" Kris rolls his eyes. "Krease look, I think his wings are broken."

 

Curious, Kris saunters over and crouches beside Chanyeol. His younger flat mate picks the thing and places it on his palm (good job, radiation absorber). Now Kris can clearly see the thing is a 'he'. The mutant boy is out cold, except for the tiny leaves stringed between his legs with a thin cord, and indeed, as Chanyeol points out, one of the wings looks immensely wrinkled, crippled. The other also looks damaged but not as much. The wings aren't glittering as Kris remembers them from last night.

 

Kris has an odd feeling brewing in the pit of his stomach when he gets an inkling of suspicion that he might have been the person to damage those wings.

 

Of course, he's not sure.

 

It could have been anything, really. Even flip-flops (which make it NOT Kris' fault because they weren't his flip-flops. Not anymore anyway. He disowns them from this moment onward)

 

It could have even happened right now.

 

"What do we do?" Chanyeol asks as if the matter is of great stress and importance to him.

 

"Try to straighten out his wings...?" Kris suggests, not wholeheartedly.

 

Chanyeol immediately begins brushing his finger over the thin transparent organ. "It's not working." He whines.

 

"May be he's dead?" He sounds more honest this time.

 

"Oh no!" Chanyeol looks like he's genuinely in pain from the news. Kris is dumbfounded at the intensity of the emotions. The only thing that gets Kris so emotionally involved is, of course, money. "We have to help revive him, Krease! What if he's the last of his kind? What if he's from an extinct species? What if he's on the verge of extinction?"

 

"What if he's a mutant?"

 

"Or an angel? Or a fairy? He looks like a fairy though."

 

The edges of the little creature's wings start to shimmer, thin twinkling veins appear on them as the miniature human starts rousing back to consciousness. Chanyeol restarts his attempt to straighten the small wing with a newfound vigor. Kris is about to warn him, that he's perhaps doing it a bit too enthusiastically (read recklessly), when the wing under Chanyeol's finger suddenly plucks off and the shining fades.

 

Kris stares.

 

Chanyeol stares.

 

The little guy shoots upright, and stares.

 

They keep on staring at the wing separated from his body.

 

"Well, huh?"

 

Kris might -and that's a BIG might- have crippled the wing, but he's sure nothing beats breaking it.

 

 

-

 

 

Kris spends most of the remaining day isolated in his room, as usual.

 

The time he does comes out, he sees the fairy weeping and Chanyeol on a spiel of apologies. The second time, Chanyeol is making stupid faces and the fairy is watching him as if scrutinizing his intellect. The third time he is manhandled out of his room by an excited Chanyeol who claims that the fairy's voice is like little tinkling bells, "It's amazing, Krease!"

 

Kris and the fairy -the two flat mates came to a mutual agreement to call him 'fairy' instead of mutant or Tom Thumb- stare each other down.

 

Chanyeol tries to make the little thing talk but it refuses to open its lips.

 

"Awh, you're missing out on something great." Chanyeol says teasingly.

 

"I'm not really interested in listening to a little mutant talk." Kris responds.

 

The fairy visibly flares up; face and chest turning red. Chanyeol tries to calm it down by tickling it with his finger, but the fairy bites down on it.

 

That concludes Kris' entertainment for the day.

 

 

-

 

 

The next day, Kris wakes up at his usual hour.

 

He is sleepily heading towards the bathroom when he hears a musical sound and pauses in his steps. It's unlike anything he's ever heard before; a tintinnabulation with a small tinker, a ping ringing in between before the peal resumes, and, Heaven help him, the sound is so beautiful it actually makes things inside him stir. This diluted ringing and chiming, all by itself, sounds like a melody weaved with tales, sounds like foreign lyrics, sounds like love.

 

Kris is in love with bells.

 

He follows the sound to the tiny kitchen but sees no source. He wonders if it's a ringtone that Chanyeol has or if it's a sound floating in from outside. He walks around in circles in the kitchen, chasing the music before it gradually fades out as the notes end and Kris wants to tell it to wait, to replay or extend, but he doesn't know whom or where to direct his voice to. So he miserably shuffles out and settles back into his routine.

 

It's when he's having breakfast that a haggard looking Chanyeol stumbles into the kitchen.

 

"You're up early," Kris raises an inquisitive brow.

 

"Fairy," Chanyeol answers before he goes to the counter and taps on the tissue box. The fairy pokes his head out, "How are you?"

 

Kris will never admit that he 90% forgot they had found (or maimed, whatever suits one's taste) a fairy. His entire life is oriented around a schedule filled with a laptop and project deadlines, so it's easy to side line most other things and forget even his own name.

 

By now the fairy has stepped out of the tissue box, where it apparently spent the night, and is fluttering its remaining useless wing.

 

He looks sad.

 

He has a really small face, and still Kris can tell just how ing sad he is. Kris doesn't need these feelings. He doesn't need these emotions. He doesn't want to see a little man show such sadness. This fairy was supposed to be a case study and one doesn't get emotionally involved with a case study. Now that Chanyeol is involved though, Kris wants nothing to do with it.

 

He cleans his bowl and leaves.

 

 

-

 

 

Kris is busy typing freelance articles when he hears Chanyeol's scream, categorized as 'Gleeful Chanyeol -no need to react'. He resumes his work.

 

"Krease!" Chanyeol hollers. He is purposely ignored. "Krease!" Ignored. Another scream. "Krease!" Ignored. "Krease! You have to see this!"

 

The door bell rings and Kris knows it's the neighbors. If he doesn't get up now it will be the cops next.

 

He stretches himself and leaves the sanctuary that is his sunlight deprived room, "What, Chanyeol?"

 

"Over here."

 

It had better not be anything stupid and-WHOA!

 

Kris takes a step back because- WHOA!

 

His brain is still processing this information- WHOA!

 

WHOA!

 

"Whoa!"

 

"I know!"

 

Chanyeol is levitating. ing levitating. With all his ing stupid teeth on display.

 

Kris is a man of facts and statistics- Bull.

 

He realizes on that very moment that he's been lying to himself, and everything has been lying to him all this time. Facts say that humans can't fly and fairies don't exist and happiness can't be bought.

 

Kris thinks he is a man of facts and statistics, a no-nonsense believe-it-when-I-see-it-and-maybe-still-not-because-I-refuse-to type. Right now he sees it and he believes it. He has Park Chanyeol for a house mate. The day the two shook hands should have been the first sign for him that he was a man no longer lead by rationality. Accepting the fairy as something in existence should have send red lights flashing in his head. They probably did though. He wondered why he never noticed them.

 

"How on Earth-" Kris cuts himself off as Chanyeol laughs gleefully, "It has to be you." He whips his head towards the counter where the fairy sits on packaged bread and smiles back at him. With his little hand he gestures Kris to come forward and the male curiously does so. The fairy narrows his little kohl lined eyes at the human, boring into his eyes as if seeking out his soul. He suddenly turns his attention to something else and sighs helplessly, as if silently declaring that Kris is a lost cause.

 

Kris feels scandalized.

 

Chanyeol spends a good amount of time floating in the air when Kris decides he's seen enough happiness and any more will give him a stomach ache, "Chanyeol, Yura's calling."

 

He doesn't expect Chanyeol to suddenly drop out of the air but Kris can't say he's sorry, or disappointed for that matter.

 

 

-

 

 

The week slips by like water through a sand filter.

 

The fairy becomes a part of routine and Chanyeol even sneaks him into classes. That's what Kris suspects anyway. Close to nothing changes for Kris but quite a bit of things change for Chanyeol.

 

Instead of going out with his drinking buddies, he spends the time watching movies with his new fairy friend and teaching him how to pronounce the syllables. Despite all the hard work he puts into the it, the only sound that escapes those tiny pink lips is still that of chimes.

 

By now Kris has also heard it many times. He's often walked in on Chanyeol and the fairy talking, as if they both understand each other's conversations. It's also within this week he discovers that the fairy sings every day early in the morning when he thinks everyone is still asleep.

 

Kris enjoys the sound a lot. He waits quietly out of sight until the fairy finishes his songs before Kris starts with his routine.

 

At the end of the week, the fairy's second wing falls.

 

At the end of the week, Kris realizes he's accepted a small change in his routine without putting up much of a fight.

 


 

-

 

 

 

Kris wakes up, early as usual. Rubs his eyes a bit. Checks the time. Checks the work he's lined up for himself. Leaves his room quietly and sits outside his door.

 

He waits for a few minutes but he doesn't hear the sound he's made himself a secret audience for the past week. Instead, he hears the kitchen cabinets open and close and things being moved around. He remains stunned for a moment because how the did Chanyeol wake up so early? Did he pull an all-nighter for an exam or project submission?

 

Kris goes into the kitchen and before he knows it, he's screaming.

 

The man in the kitchen also yelps, the slice of bread hanging from his mouth drops as he matches Kris' pitch. Kris shuts up and so does the stranger.

 

Kris is furious.

 

He marches towards Chanyeol's room and is about to barge in when he considers the state his flat mate must be in. He resorts to furiously pounding the door.

 

"Five more minutes!" Chanyeol yells.

 

"NO! Get out ing right now or else!"

 

"I hate you!"

 

"That's an established fact." Kris replies. In his peripheral vision he can see the male coming out of the kitchen to check what the racket is about.

 

"What?" Chanyeol groggily asks as he opens his door. Over Kris' shoulder, he sees the stranger standing in the kitchen entrance before his eyes return to the hold the elder with a knowing look. Chanyeol suggestively quirks his brow, "Krease? Had a lucky night?"

 

"What?" Kris' brows furrow, "If that's not your buddy ..." Chanyeol also seems to be suddenly grappled in the confusion. "I thought you brought someone here last night."

 

"I didn't go out," Chanyeol answers, "You made a rule not to bring anyone home." Yes, because they have thin walls and not being laid is not nice.

 

The frown marring Kris' brows deepens. He turns around to address the human body displayed in all of his natural glory, "Who the hell are you?"

 

"I'm Baekhyun!" The youth chirps. His expression suddenly turns into one of surprise, "My voice!" He grasps his neck, "I'm Baekhyun." He repeats, "Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baekhyun,"

 

"We got that!" Kris holds up a hand to shush him.

 

"You can understand me!" Baekhyun exclaims, though his face remains flabbergasted, "Did my face change too? Can you not recognize me?" He pats his cheeks and keeps babbling on.

 

The flat mates lean a bit closer and squint their eyes at the stranger. Kris tries very hard to keep his eyes away from those s or to wander anywhere else inappropriate. It clicks in both their heads at the same time.

 

"The fairy!"

 

"You're the fairy!" Chanyeol exclaims, "Magic is real! Please tell me Santa is real too!"

 

Baekhyun steps out of his reverie, "You broke my wing."

 

 

-

 

 

It amuses Kris to no end how Chanyeol avoids Baekhyun as if the latter is an ex he recently had a bad falling out with. The two were joined like a soul to the heart and now Baekhyun is being cut off like an appendix at the operating table.

 

The situation is so ridiculous Kris laughs out loud for a good full minute.

 

There's fairy in his house, and currently it's a human and Kris has no idea what the is going on.

 

It amuses him, until Baekhyun saunters into his room and stands behind him as he works on his laptop. Kris knows it's Baekhyun because the door opens and closes humanely. His bare feet are silent and he carries with him a scent exclusive to himself; something a mixture of mint and citrus, something a bit flowery too -lavender perhaps? He's not too sure. It has been ages since he has last seen an actual living flower, let alone smell one. Basically the smaller male smells like nature.

 

The looming presence of Baekhyun over his shoulder suddenly gets too much and Kris abruptly stops working. He swivels around in his chair, crosses his arms across his chest and folds one leg over the other.

 

He instantly scrambles back to his old position, tries to tear the sight of the male out of his eyeballs and hopefully his neurons too -forever. It's one of those moments when his father's voice echoes inside his head, and he hates it, because of course it will be an inappropriate time ("You can tell the level of a man's wisdom by the size of his !"  Greek philosophers must have had amazing sizes then.)

 

"Yes?" Kris squeaks more than demands.

 

"Nothing." He receives as answer. ("A man isn't a man if his isn't bigger than the size of his shoe!"  Father, please be quiet!)

 

The tall male saunters towards his cupboard, careful to keep Baekhyun out of his peripheral range. ("A should be strong enough to puncture a hole through-" Oh God no! Not that one!)

 

"You need to put on some clothes." He demands in one quick breath as he goes through his collection. He knows none of his sizes will fit the fairy, not even the ones he's outgrown but refuses to throw. So he finds the ones he hates the most and tosses them over his head. "Put these on."

 

"Will I be able to go outside then? I need to find Chen."

 

"Yea, yea." Kris answers carelessly, slowly closing the cupboard as the sound of clothes rustling fill up his room. The fairy takes up enough time to make him concerned that he might have to help with a dress up game, but mercifully, the need doesn't arise. The fairy has observed Chanyeol enough. ("The thing about is-" One extreme mental slap is ordered and received.)

 

When he turns around, Baekhyun stands before him, his smile a brilliant beam that shoots straight into Kris heart, his eyes sparkle with silent mirth and are radiant in a manner one can only find in innocent children. Kris' eyes trail down to thin pink lips. Somewhere in the back of his head he can hear bells tinkling and chiming. His heart skips a beat.

 

"These are very big." The tiny male says. His hands are fisted at his waist where the large shirt is held crumpled beneath his closed fingers, holding up his pants under them.

 

Kris hands him a belt but Baekhyun has no idea what to do with it. Thus, after a torturously slow gulp, Kris bends down to show him how to put it on. He ignores the fat that's he's very much aligned with Baekhyun's- and Baekhyun should probably roll up the bottom of the pants a bit too. They slip under his heels and make him look like a dwarf. So, Kris does that as well.

 

"Have you ever been to Neverland?" Baekhyun asks suddenly, curiously, when Kris stands up.

 

"What?"

 

"Neverland? Have you ever been to Neverland?" He repeats

 

"Is it at Disneyland?" Kris slumps back in his chair, body sagging with relief at the respectable distance between the two of them.

 

"Nah-uh, just Neverland. Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning." Baekhyun informs animatedly as he moves his hands around to specify the directions. Kris wonders if he caught it from Chanyeol or if it's his own habit. Then he wonders what the  because these directions make no sense. Must be a fairy thing.

 

"You look familiar," Baekhyun says as he taps his chin thoughtfully. His eyes roll up to stare at the ceiling, "Where have we met before?"

 

"I've never met anything before." Kris answers and turns back to his laptop. He knows he won't be able to get any work done with Baekhyun's shadow hovering around him, but he pretends to be busy anyway.

 

"Are you, by any chance, on the Jolly Roger's crew? Or perhaps you once were?"

 

"Jol- what?" Kris frowns. He throws a look over his shoulder to let the intruder know his words, nor his presence, are appreciated. No matter how pleasant he is to look at.

 

"Oh!" Baekhyun pounds his fist onto his small palm - Kris can't help but notice from the corner of his eyes, "Now I know!" He exclaims.

 

"Yaey," Kris deadpans as he starts scribbling non-existent alphabets on a sheet of paper. He is very very busy. He hopes Baekhyun realizes that and leaves or else his entire room will accumulate Baekhyun's scent. 

 

"You look like Kevin!" The fairy exclaims. Kris chokes on his saliva. "There's a painting of Kevin in the lagoon. The mermaids made it ages ago in one of abandoned parts. You look a lot like him, I swear! Except older, I suppose."

 

"Who was Kevin?" Kris asks, and definitely not out of curiosity.

 

"He was the previous Fisher King," Baekhyun says excitedly, "I'd never met him though. I wasn't born then. But Chen knows him. Chen was a Lost Boy at the time."

 

Half of the things Baekhyun says make no sense to Kris. He vaguely wonders if it really is a fairy thing or if Baekhyun is a mental asylum escapee. Surely fairy cities must have them too.

 

"Alright," He answers.

 

"I have to find Chen so he can take me back home." Baekhyun shuffles closer to Kris and the taller scoots backwards, attempting to sink himself into his chair, "But I can only recognize things from the sky. I would be lost on the ground. Will you help me?"

 

"Take Chanyeol," Kris waves his hand at the other's face in an attempt to shoo him away and herd him into Chanyeol's room instead.

 

"Chanyeol does not want me around anymore," Baekhyun pouts, his lower lip juts out in a way Kris wants to declare forbidden in this apartment. "I've lost my wings and grown into human size. I do not know what else might happen if I stay here any longer. I really need to find Chen."

 

Kris does not want to leave his laptop.

 

The machine is challenging him, a faint whir of the fan in its system, daring him to even try. He looks at Baekhyun's sad slash hopeful face, and then at the infinity of alphabets all staring back at him, his soul. Baekhyun's fair face and pretty pretty eyes, then his laptop's screen which dims due to inactiveness. It's a bleak representation of what his life is like. The answer is a no brainer for him.

 

He doesn't even have to think twice.

 

"No." Kris swivels around, tapping the touchpad to bring his laptop screen back to life. He can hear Baekhyun let out a disappointed sigh. It's not long after he hears his door quietly shut.

 

When Kris leaves his sanctuary to raid the kitchen, he's met with the sight of Baekhyun staring out the small window, chewing on a slice of bread. The gloom rises off the smaller male in constant incoming waves, maybe even radiation. Kris isn't a people's person so he pretends Baekhyun is a housecat going through menopause, or divorce or something.

 

It stifles his conscience somewhat until the next time he comes out and sees the brunet sitting on floor and staring into space.

 

There's a little part of him that tells him he should drag Chanyeol out and force him to help Baekhyun. Kris has a lot of work to do and he can't spare any time for pretty lost boys or any Chens. He has to meet the deadlines for projects that don't belong to him and there was another freelance article he saw an hour ago that he wanted to type up. If he weighs Baekhyun against money, he doesn't have to think twice about what he's going to prefer. It's not like owes the male anything. He doesn't even know him.

 

Then it's beyond him why he's grabbing his bag -more out of instinct than need- and running out, down the stairs and almost breaking the entrance door on his way out to chase Baekhyun.

 

It's way past sundown, with streetlights on and the night coming to life. He wouldn't even have noticed the fairy (is he still eligible to be called that?) had slipped out unless Baekhyun had crashed into the metal bins with a loud cry and send them toppling against each other in a clatter of obnoxious noise, right under the window of Kris' bedroom.

 

Kris is surprised at the stamina he exhausts in catching up with a person as small as Baekhyun. His stature betrays how fast his legs carry him, and Kris is slightly panting when he grabs a fistful of the smaller male's shirt to pull him back to a stop.

 

"Where are you going?" Kris asks just as Baekhyun turns to look over his shoulder, eyes wide and surprised.

 

"To find Chen," He answers like it's a fact. Perhaps it is, because that's all Baekhyun has been talking about ever since he could properly communicate.

 

"Where is Chen?" Kris asks, because he wants to prove to the other what a stupid idea it is to go out in search of someone that could be anywhere in a city i.e., equal to non existence.

 

"Where there is happiness," Baekhyun answers and Kris raises a brow.

 

"So, where exactly is Chen, again?"

 

"Over at the lights," Baekhyun says as he points ahead. Kris follows the direction of his finger to the grey building. "I saw it from the window. It looks like a place where he would like to go."

 

The amusement park.

 

 

Kris weighs the pros and cons of it. He can humor Baekhyun and who knows, this Chen might even turn up and get the boy off his hands, or he'll waste a good few hours on exercise he doesn't need and welcome fatigue that will haunt his muscles for days after. In the end, Baekhyun decides for him as he starts jogging ahead.

 

Kris grabs the other's elbow and locks his grip there. Baekhyun rushes forward like a hyper pup and the taller is dragged after him towards 'the lights'. The small male keeps tripping over his feet because of the large flip flops he wears and Kris knows he's supposed to feel irritated about it, but he feels endeared instead. A bus arrives at the stop just as they do -Kris thanks any deity willing to listen- and guides Baekhyun onto it. The smaller still manages to trip twice and hits his head against a pole.

 

Wait, are those his flip flops? The one he never wears but still doesn't let anyone touch?

 

His thoughts are dissipated by the sound of Baekhyun's laughter. Apparently Baekhyun finds bus rides extremely funny. He continuously mentions how his entire body is vibrating and keeps asking if the bus will really take them to 'the lights'. Kris wishes the male would shut up now because the girl sitting two seats ahead of them turns back around a number of times to see who's saying such psychotic things. He supposes the sight of a youth in oversized everything must not seem very normal either. Top that off with being accompanied by an oversized male with, as one of his exes put it, 'a default face'.

 

They have to change to another bus line and Baekhyun keeps him entertained and embarrassed by asking about anything and everything he sees. A bruise starts forming on Baekhyun's otherwise unblemished skin, where he's hit his forehead on a pole each time he entered a bus and tripped. Kris supposes he should call him a klutz, but he calls him precious instead -in his head only.

 

The second the vehicle stops and the door opens, Baekhyun is out like a hunting dog released on his prey. This time Kris is only able to catch up because Baekhyun can't get past the tall barrier of iron railings that separates the amusement park from predators like Baekhyun. He extends his hands, whines mournfully and tries to reach for something past Kris' sight on the other side of the barrier.

 

"Doesn't look like Chen's here," Kris is in no mood to spend his hard earned money on tickets and something called Chen.

 

"We have to get closer," Baekhyun answers without even sparing him a glance, "As close to the lights in the sky as possible. We have to get to the other side." Baekhyun tries shaking the metal rods, tries bending them, but only ends up turning his arms at odd angles until a security guard yells at them to scamper off. Kris is about to put in his two cents of pessimism when Baekhyun's is struck by a revelation and he runs to where everyone is queued up. He excitedly points out his discovery to Kris.

 

Kris has half a mind to turn around and leave the male, but a string -more like two dozen of them- rivet him to Baekhyun, and he ends up getting two entry passes. Baekhyun, the little dodger, does not thank Kris for sacrificing his money for his selfish little cause and instead gets lost in the crowd within two minutes.

 

Kris has to place an announcement for a lost male with oversized clothes, a brilliant smile (the operator raises a judging eyebrow here) and ugly blue flip flops, before someone calls the center and tells them where the boy was seen.

 

The fairy-turned-human is trying to get on the Ferris wheel and the keeper is struggling to keep him off. With another mournful sigh, Kris reigns in the male, purchases tickets and they queue up for the ride.

 

"Chen will be at the top," Baekhyun sounds so assured, Kris actually believes him. His eyes are sparkling as he watches the Ferris wheel go round and round, its twinkling lights shining against the black starless sky. "He flies the highest amongst us all."

 

"Mhm."

 

"When I find Chen, he will take me home."

 

"I'm sure." Kris nods absently. He feels uncomfortable surrounded by so many people. At the same time he feels astounded by Baekhyun's ludicrous statements, because of course, it's very logical for a Chen to be flying around the top of the Ferris wheel waiting for Baekhyun. "What if he isn't there?"

 

"He will be." Baekhyun's eyes remained trained on the large wheel, "Chen loves gatherings like this. He likes lights and music. That's why I'm his favourite. I shine the brightest amongst all the fairies, and I am the best singer!" Baekhyun giggles. Kris rolls his eyes at Baekhyun's obvious crush on this Chen thing, but he can second Baekhyun's claim of being the best singer. It's the only thing he likes about Baekhyun, honestly. What about his smile? And twinkly eyes? And-

 

 

Baekhyun throws himself in the passenger cabin. With just the two of them, the wheel moves a bit to let other visitors into the next cabin.

 

"How will you be able to see someone so small in the dark?" Kris inquires.

 

Baekhyun finally looks at him, "Who?"

 

"Chen?"

 

"Chen isn't little. Only fairies are that size," Baekhyun says as if it's common knowledge and manages to make Kris feel silly, "Chen is the Fisher King. He'd be as tall as any boy should be."

 

Joy. A boy flying around the top of the Ferris wheel. Kris wonders if he'd even be able to see Chen or if only Baekhyun's eyes would be able to spot him.

 

Baekhyun is restless in his seat. He keeps looking out at how high they are, keeps darting his eyes everywhere around them. When their cabin pauses at the very top, Baekhyun stands up and starts looking at the sky.

 

"Is Chen here?"

 

"He will be." Baekhyun replies, resolute. The ride starts its normal rotation as soon as its full. "We fly higher than this. Much, much higher," Baekhyun says, his eyes fixed on the dark abyss that serves as the night sky. "It would be difficult for him to see me." It sounds more like he's trying to convince himself of something rather than reciting a fact to Kris. "I'd know if he was around." He murmurs, a hand going to rest right over his heart.

 

When the ride is over, Baekhyun refuses to get off. He stubbornly clings to the cabin as Kris purchases another ticket for him. Baekhyun takes two more rounds with other people before Kris puts his foot down.

 

"I think I know where he would be." Baekhyun grins. He loops his arm around Kris' and drags him through the families towards the loud and flashing carousal.

 

"Oh God, no."

 

 

 

 

Kris' feet are bleeding. Or he's pretty sure they are. But it's really just him sweating from all the strenuous activity required, both physically and mentally, to keep track of Baekhyun. It's already past midnight, past Kris' self declared curfew time and past dinner time. What started as a search for Chen gradually turned into an adventure of a curious visitor. Baekhyun is wilted in spirit, but Kris has it ten times worse. He's drained out of every ounce of energy, the thought of his disrupted schedule and abandoned projects haunt him, and the fact that he had to consume food prepared under probable unhygienic conditions makes his stomach churn uncomfortably.

 

"Please, we can come back here tomorrow," The words slip past his tongue before he even knows what he's saying. Baekhyun's face lights up at the promise. Kris groans loudly.

 

With the public transits shut down, they have no choice but to accept a ride from an old couple. The old woman looks convinced that Kris is a pimp in training and Baekhyun is his little money-maker. She doesn't say it, but her eyes accuse Kris of all the cookies he's never stolen from the jar. Kris is glad when they reach home (and he's not sure if he imagined it or if the woman really just noted down their residential area address on her phone).

 

"I know you're angry," is the first thing Baekhyun says as soon as Kris shuts the door after them, "I promise I'll leave as soon as Chen comes. I'll go back to Neverland and will never be a bother again."

 

Kris is tired, and he's angry, but the only reason he doesn't explode is because of his perfect Ten Breaths technique and the underlying guilt that it's his and Chanyeol's fault that Baekhyun is stuck here like this. But Baekhyun doesn't know that, so he's not going to say anything about it either. He's also not going to tell Baekhyun that Neverland sounds more like a place a crack recluse would retreat to but, ok, never mind, whatever.

 

Baekhyun goes into the kitchen. Kris takes a peek in and sees the smaller prodding the tissue box. He seems despaired as he looks up at Kris, "My bed." His lower lip and chin quivers, and it's been a long day, and Kris is tired, and Baekhyun is disappointed and he's home sick, and Kris has wasted a lot of time and this really just can't get any worse.

 

"Take my bed. I'm sleeping elsewhere."

 

His tongue is out of control!

 

"I can sleep in your room?" Baekhyun asks surprised, and then excited. In the little time he spent here, he knows Kris hates Chanyeol in his sanctuary.

 

"Don't touch anything." Kris says sternly, letting him in.

 

"I'm really going to spend the night in here? Where will you sleep though?" It's a very good question, because they don't have a living room. It's just one straight corridor, a kitchen, a bathroom and two bed rooms.

 

"You can sleep in these clothes." Kris says instead, gesturing to the clothes Baekhyun is already wearing.

 

 

 

 

 

It's an inconvenient setting, but Kris makes a bedding for himself on the floor, right next to his rightful sleeping place. After changing and laying down ramrod straight, Kris attempts to find peace within himself but his heart is thudding at an unnatural pace due to unexplainable reasons. Every muscle fiber, every bone hurts and his head is pounding from stress but he can't seem to find any sleep. Baekhyun's head peeks over the bed. Kris can make out most of his features due to the light that sneaks past the blinds and his adjusted night vision.

 

"We'll go to the place with the lights again, right?"

 

"It's called an amusement park." Kris answers, rubbing his temples.

 

"I like amusement parks."

 

"Go to sleep, Baekhyun."

 

"Okay," He answers in a small voice, and then in an even lower tone, Kris hears a muted, "Thank you." before Baekhyun retreats from his vision.

 

Kris isn't sure when he falls asleep in the night, but it feels like only a second has passed when he closes his eyes, before a weight suddenly drops on his chest and he's screaming himself awake.

 

"Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!" Baekhyun yelps and screams, jumping away from Kris.

 

The bloody jinx stepped on him!

 

 

-

 

 

Yesterday it was funny, but today Kris finds it absurd and ridiculous how Chanyeol avoids Baekhyun. He thought he was the one who ran away from his problems, but Kris realizes that he not only solves his own problems, but other people's as well - for example all these projects he does for a fair fee.

 

Baekhyun wants to follow Chanyeol outside. He still wants to look for Chen, and frankly, if Kris was in his place he'd have given up and moved onto plan B by now. Physical activity and Kris don't go in the same sentence unless it's a negative sentence. But Kris has an inkling Baekhyun's search has more to do with the little taste of freedom he had last night instead of any real enthusiasm for finding any Chen.

 

He has every intention to let Chanyeol babysit the male while he rests his sore muscles. Then he hears the familiar clanking of metal bins as they tumble down the stairs and Baekhyun's familiar yelp and he sighs deep and regretful, because he suddenly remembers that Chanyeol would have left for his class by now.

 

Kris grabs his bag, curses any Heavenly body laughing at him and forces himself to trace Baekhyun's trail -who's already a rapidly shrinking figure on the road.

 

The sun stings his eyes. It's been so long since he last stepped into any source of natural light. He pathetically runs after Baekhyun but can't catch up. Then he notices that the male himself is chasing school children.

 

Oh God. No. Just no.

 

He speeds up and reaches the menace just as he's about to follow the children inside the school gate.

 

"Stop!" Kris hisses, grabs Baekhyun's wrist and pulls him back towards himself. "What are you doing?"

 

"I'm looking for Chen." Kris is sure if he hears that name one more time...

 

"I was not under the impression that Chen is under ten."

 

"Oh no, Chen isn't that little. It's usually the Lost Boys," Kris makes a grand show of rolling his eyes, "But, you usually find Chen where there is happiness. And children are the happiest amongst everyone, aren't they? That's why Neverland calls out to them." Kris squints his eyes, as if doing so will tell him what drugs Baekhyun is on. Then he remembers that Baekhyun's supposed to be a mutant fairy, so he stops racking his brain for the other's words to make sense.

 

"We should leave." Kris says when he hears the bell ringing.

 

"I want to wait for Chen."

 

Kris huffs.

 

It's like dealing with a spoilt child. Somehow, he manages to convince Baekhyun to at least get away from the school and they crash in the park on the opposite side of the road. Baekhyun plays on the swings, climbs the jungle bars, takes the slide, the seesaw, the sandpit, everything. Kris verily sits on a bench and observes the smaller as he runs from one kiddy attraction to the next, finally approaching Kris when his nails are filled with grime, the knees of his jeans dirty and his eyes and grin so bright and alight, they compete with the morning sun.

 

"Maybe Chen will detect your happiness and find you." It's meant to sarcastic and it comes out anything but.

 

Baekhyun seems jubilant with the comment, "Maybe,"

 

They both look up when two children come running into the park, one of them singing a nursery rhyme at the tops of his lungs. Kris isn't sure what the kids are doing here when they're supposed to be at school, but Baekhyun looks elated to see someone of his mental age, Kris believes. No sooner, he joins them with a bounce in his steps and the kids take to him like flies to a candy. Kris thinks Baekhyun would make a good babysitter.

 

Baekhyun starts singing. This time there's no chiming bells or tinkering sounds. It's words and full sentences. It's a human voice, and it's beautifully melodious and it's beautifully Baekhyun. He's singing the nursery rhyme the boy came singing in his pitched voice. Kris doesn't know how Baekhyun manages to make the poem sound like a beautiful musical piece. He watches in awe as Baekhyun enchants his small audience. It's no wonder Chen marked Baekhyun as his favourite. If Kris were in Chen's place, he'd have done it too.

 

When midday rolls around, Kris has had enough. He's starving, he's sleepy and all of Baekhyun's optimism is killing him.

 

Baekhyun is enjoying himself, and he's not ready to be cooped into an apartment. Kris pushes his backpack in the smaller male's arms before he lifts Baekhyun up and hoists him over his shoulder. The male shrieks in surprise, but he laughs all the way back. Goddamn it, Baekhyun is not as light as he looks.  

 

 

 

 

Kris takes an apple from the kitchen, finishes it within a few bites on the way to his room and promptly falls asleep. He wakes up around sundown half hanging off his bed, to the sight of Baekhyun laying on his stomach on the mattress set on the floor next to his bed.

 

"Hey," He beams at him. Kris wonders why Baekhyun's smiles always seem to make him so fuzzy and warm.

 

"Have you eaten?" Kris asks.

 

The other nods. "We're going there again today, right? The place with lights- the amusing park...?"

 

Kris had forgotten all about that. He eyes his laptop lying on his study table, neglected since yesterday night. It's the longest he's gone without it, and the device makes sure to make him feel extremely guilty by looking extra shiny. "I'll see if Chanyeol can take you today."

 

"Okay." Baekhyun nods enthusiastically.

 

Kris frowns. It's so rude of Baekhyun to replace him so easily. Kris spends his precious, valuable, money making time with Baekhyun and he expects some appreciation for it. "Thank you, for everything so far." Baekhyun smiles widely. It's easily one of the best smiles Kris has ever seen and the only one he's been blinded by so far.

 

 

-

 

 

Kris tried. Really, he did. He wanted to spend tonight working on his laptop, hunching his back and having his eyes pierced by rays from computer screens. He slept all day, wearing out his exhaustion and he now wanted to get some work done.

 

Instead he was once again taking the bus to the amusement park, one firm hand wrapped around Baekhyun's elbow. He belatedly notes that Baekhyun's clothes are pretty wrinkled and the male looks absolutely ridiculous in a pair of oversized slippers.

 

The first thing he does is buy a pair of crocs for Baekhyun, who is utterly fascinated by the shoes -it's only too late when Kris realizes the shoes glow in the dark. Now the fairy keeps bumping into things because he can't keep his eyes off his feet. Kris pulls an arm around the other's waist to keep him steady and close. He wonders why his heart lurches when Baekhyun's arm also comes to hang around his waist.

 

It's a repeat of yesterday; the Ferris wheel, carousal, flying scooters, pirate ship, troika, wind seeker and then some slow kiddy rides to keep the food from coming back out. Bakehyun rides alone this time, accompanied by kids, embarrassed siblings and overprotective parents on the children rides. Kris uses the time to practice on shooting games and realizes he has pretty decent hand-eye coordination. Maybe he can offer some other services too, apart from just writing ...

 

When Baekhyun does not meet him at the designated spot he has to put an announcement for a lost person in outsized clothes and glowing crocs. This time he drags Baekhyun home before the public transits shut down.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

As soon as he enters his room, light glints off the sleek lid of his laptop, blinding his eyes and one of his organs plunges into another. All those untouched assignments. He's suddenly very glad for working ahead of deadlines. Baekhyun ducks from under his arm and drops on the bed with a satisfying moan. Kris' eyes shift between the bedding on the floor and his laptop on the table. One of the two things is glaring at him and the other is holding out welcoming arms. Then Baekhyun pats the spot next to him, and Kris ignores them both to let himself fall next to Baekhyun with a contended sigh.

"Did you have fun today?"

"No." Kris answers, voice muffled by the mattress beneath him.

"I had fun," Baekhyun says, "I made a lot of friends too."

"They aren't your friends." Kris turns his face to stare at Baekhyun's, "When you meet someone once, they are not your friends."

"Then I met a lot of happiness. That place makes me really happy. What about you?" Baekhyun raises a small finger to softly touch the tip of Kris' nose. Kris scrunches his nose to shoo Baekhyun's digit away.

"That place makes me really tired."

Baekhyun laughs, "You're such a sloth! Everything makes you tired or angry. What makes you happy?"

"Money," He answers without hesitance.

"What about people?" Baekhyun's finger pokes his eye playfully.

"People are annoying,"

"But you are a person too." Baekhyun tries to stick his finger up Kris' nose. The taller clamps Baekhyun's annoying hand under his large one to stop it from any further movements.

"I'm not a person, I'm a robot."

Baekhyun's eyes light up at the word, probably proud of himself for knowing such a thing. "What about Chanyeol?"

Kris sighs, "There's something wrong with him."

"No," Baekhyun slips his hand out from under Kris', "Nothing's wrong with him. But something is wrong with you," He places a pointed finger exactly over Kris' heart, "Here," Kris stares back at him, dumbfounded and offended. "Why is your heart so black?"

Kris smiles thinly, "It's because there's a galaxy in there. A big black galaxy." He turns around to face away from Baekhyun. He can feel the other budge from the way the mattress shifts under him. Then he hears a faint 'Thank you', just like yesterday.

When Kris wakes up, he's lying properly on his bed, it's early morning, Baekhyun is absent, and Kris can hear a nursery rhyme being sung from somewhere inside the apartment. It's a beautiful sound to wake up to.

He mentally tacks a new schedule in his brain, because he needs to rearrange everything if he's going to be leaving with Baekhyun every day until his hands are clean of the fairy.

 

 

-

 

 

The new schedule, as expected, is hectic. The time for working on projects dwindles down drastically in order to create an equilibrium for work, rest and fun.

Fun?

He meant 'the amusement park'.

 

 

 

This night Baekhyun takes no excuses and drags Kris with him on the children's ride. Kris feels the parents secondhand embarrassed for him. But he's too busy making sure the face mask (with broken grinning teeth) and his massive heart shaped sunglasses, an ugly neon colour, (that Baekhyun grabbed because there was a matching set) don't fall off to expose his face to anyone. The workers here are beginning to recognize Baekhyun as a regular customer, and today, when Kris walks in to make an announcement for a lost Baekhyun, the operator already knows what to announce, "What shoes was the kid wearing today, son?"

"Come on, Kris," Baekhyun points to the rollercoaster, something he has yet to try, "I want to see how you look laughing."

"How will that help you find Chen?" Kris eyes the long queue verily.

"I think Chen can't find me because of you," Baekhyun jabs a finger at the taller male's chest, making him wince, "Your big black galaxy heart swallows everything in despair. Maybe if you were happier, he'd be able to see me shine."

Kris thinks Baekhyun would shine even if he was surrounded by tens of thousands of miserable Kris clones. "I don't swallow things in despair," Kris mutters, eyeing the ridiculous glowing crocs. He decides to show Baekhyun that he's not really the king of gloom and doom, but actually very pleasant company. His heart squeezes itself, as if punishing him for even thinking of such a thing.

When they're seated in the Ferris wheel and the ride starts, Baekhyun stands up to start swaying the cabin. Kris instantly latches onto the sides, "What do you think you're doing?"

Baekhyun only laughs back, "Isn't this fun?"

"This is dangerous!"

"Oh my God!" A voice screeches from below their cabin, "Someone is having above us!" Kris turns red down to his toes.

"Oh God, Baekhyun, please stop!"

"Oh my God!" The same voice screeches, "Someone is getting above us!"

"Baekhyun, stop!"

Baekhyun is laughing even when the ride is stopped and they're being pulled away for questioning by the managers. Kris is scandalized by how everyone treats Baekhyun as if he's the victim and Kris the molester. He's pretty sure his face says how innocent he is. But when you compare it to Baekhyun, there's really no competition. Kris just hopes he doesn't end up in jail. He's intimidated by the interrogators and they're intimidated by his eyebrows. He's not helping his case by thinking long and hard about his answers, as if contemplating a mass murder, when he's only really thinking of donating Baekhyun to an orphanage.

 

 

-

 

 

"I thought for sure I'd be home by now."

Kris' eyes snap open at the voice.

The lights are off, the room is dark. His ankle muscles are sore and he really just wants to sleep until the sun comes up and Baekhyun is secretly singing. "I'm sure Chen will be there one of these days." Kris sleepily mumbles back.

Baekhyun's head peeks from over the bed. Kris blinks the sleep from his eyes. He can tell Baekhyun is in a mood to talk. He doesn't know why it always has to be in bed.

"I had fun today." He grins.

"You have fun every day," Kris retorts, "My money makes sure of it."

"Do you really like money more than you like people?"

"I like sleep too."

Baekhyun laughs, light and melodious. Everything unlike Chanyeol. He wishes Baekhyun had been his flat mate instead of Chanyeol.

"I think Chen has forgotten me."

Kris's drooping eyelids scatter away any remaining fragments of drowsiness. "Why would you think that?" He asks, a bit more urgently than he intends.

"I can't feel him." Kris can't see it clearly, but he knows Baekhyun just placed his hand over his heart, "I think he went back without me."

"That's absurd." Kris replies, "You're his favourite, aren't you? Nobody forgets their favourites."

There is a moment of silence. "What's your favourite memory from your childhood?" Baekhyun asks.

"I don't know," Kris grumbles, then instantly realizes the mistake he made.

"You forgot?" Baekhyun snickers, but it sounds forced, fake.

"Ok then, when I graduated from high school." It's the first thing that comes to his mind.

"Oh. Why is it your favourite?" Baekhyun's fingers reach down to poke Kris's collar bones. "Was it because you were really happy?"

"Yes. Everybody's happy when they leave a hellhole."

"Then why is your heart still black? Shouldn't thinking about happy things make it a bit white?" Kris jerks away when Baekhyun's finger pushes against his .

"Don't do that." He warns. Baekhyun giggles. He pokes the other's shoulder blades.

"You're such a strange person."

"Go to sleep." Kris wiggles away from the other's touch until he's on the floor. Baekhyun complies with a barely heard, 'Thank you'. "You're welcome." Kris answers for the first time. He can't see it, but he feels Baekhyun's smile.

The lights are off, but the room brightens around him.

 

 

-

 

 

At the amusement park they play with darts. Baekhyun's aim is awful. He tries hitting the bulls-eyes, but every little missile pins itself on the stall keeper instead of the board. Even when the man leaves the area, Baekhyun manages to jab his elbow in the man's nose before his missile impales itself in the keeper's shoe. 'Oops' doesn't remove the red that's rapidly creeping up the man's neck.

Kris keeps his eyes alert for any prepubescent boy that might take an interest in Baekhyun. Unfortunately, a lot of people take an interest in the small male. He's befuddled at how he didn't notice it before. Children seem to be enthralled by him, for whatever reason (maybe it has something to do with how Baekhyun distributes candies and balloons among them, that Kris buys specifically for Baekhyun. It still doesn't explain why the kids tell the smaller that he's 'shining like a light bulb!'). Baekhyun only curiously looks back at who pinches his arm, or rear, or stuffs slips of paper in his pockets before turning his attention back to a wide-eyed Kris. "What's wrong?"

Kris gapes at him. He schools his expression into neutrality before he takes out the paper stuffed in the fairy's hoodie and pockets, barely looking at the numbers scribbled there, discarding them right there on the floor. "Stay close," Kris orders, placing an arm around the smaller male's waist and leading them towards the Ferris wheel.

Baekhyun had mentioned it being his favourite ride. 'It's not like flying, but it's close enough,' He had said, 'It's the highest we can go, right?'

The thought gives Kris an idea.

They leave the park amidst Baekhyun's protests, board a bus and after half an hour of a restless trip, end up in front of a lightened tower that stretches up to the sky.

"This is the highest place, as far as I know." Kris says as he directs Baekhyun into the tower. They take the lift up, and Baekhyun curiously looks at all the couples around. "Maybe you can spot Chen flying on top of the city or something. I don't know."

"Should we hold hands?" Baekhyun asks instead, voice a quiet whisper.

"Not . . . necessarily," Kris mumbles, even as Baekhyun wraps both hands around Kris' elbow. Kris has an inkling Baekhyun doesn't like this place. Maybe it's the tight space?

When they leave the lift, Baekhyun makes a beeline towards the glass walls, forgetting all about Kris. The taller only points a finger towards the door, and then the fairy is hurrying out and jumping onto the gallery. He looks back, laughing, eyes reducing to nothing but curved lines, as his hair is blown all over by the wind. Kris hopes Baekhyun doesn't somehow topple over the railing.

"Why did you keep this from me?" Baekhyun shoves Kris, and Kris hopes he doesn't somehow topple over the railing. He creates a safe distance between them both, making sure they're still close enough for Kris to grab the younger incase he decides hanging off the side is fun too.

"Look around for Chen."

And Baekhyun does so, very unconventionally. He strains his vocal belts and calls out the male's name over and over, running around the perimeter until Kris steps in his path to stop him. Baekhyun laughs hysterically, tears b in the corner of his eyes as he gasps out 'Chen, Chen, Chen'.

"You've gone mad!" Kris holds him upright. Baekhyun slumps against him, hands tightly clutching Kris' shirt at his waist, hair tousled and form breathless. He's still laughing as Kris guides him inside.

"That was exhilarating!" Baekhyun mumbles, ignoring the looks thrown their way by other people. "You should try it too."

"Let's go get something to eat," Kris suggests instead.

The food here is different than at the amusement park. They have to meander around the food street and Baekhyun wants to put everything into his mouth. Kris notices that the fairy doesn't look as high as he usually does by this time of the night. He actually looks like he's been kissed by exhaustion. Baekhyun's eyes flick up towards Kris' in a curious manner.

"Am I shinning?" He asks cheekily before he bites his roasted meat off a stick. "I shine when I'm happy."

"Too brightly,"

Not bright enough tonight, actually.

 

 

 

 

When they arrive home, they run into Chanyeol as soon as the door opens. The male doesn't hide his face or race to his room as he usually does. In fact, he comes forward to cheerfully greet them both.

"I'm Chanyeol, the roomie," He introduces himself to Baekhyun, then discreetly wiggles his brows at Kris, murmuring a light, 'getting lucky, eh?' before he asks if anyone of them would like anything to drink.

Kris gapes at him.

Baekhyun turns around and slams into Kris in his haste to leave. Kris steadies him by the shoulders and sees his eyes filling up with tears.

"It's happening," He squeaks. He tries to get away, but Kris keeps a tight grip on his arms to keep him around. "Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun takes in deep breaths, but its futile in calming him down. "Chen, oh Chen. Chen! Chen! Chen!"

"I think he's having a panic attack," Chanyeol whispers harshly from his place, obviously under the illusion that the new guy can't hear him.

Kris shoots him a glare which has the male retreating into his room to give them privacy.

"What's wrong?" Kris' brows furrow.

Baekhyun is sobbing, tears suddenly streaking down his cheeks, face turning pink and his lips stretched wide to let out wails of misery. Kris is befuddled on why the fairy is crying as if someone killed his mother, his cat and amputated his leg.

"It's happening!"

"What's happening?"

"I'm never going back home!" He cries out, head hung low and hair hiding his wretched expression.

"Baekhyun," Kris shakes him and tries to put some sense into him. Something comes to the forefront of his thoughts and reminds him he is always dumped because he is bad with human contact. Especially consoling distressed people. Just dealing with feelings in general psyches him out. "Ten deep breaths alright. Listen to me, take a breath only when I say a number. One deep breath for every number," He instructs, "You do know numbers, right?"

He receives frenzied nods. Baekhyun calms down by three, but they go on till five and stop when Baekhyun pouts.

Kris guides Baekhyun around; having him clean his mouth with a mouthwash, asks him to change into one of Kris' old clothes for the night (a vest that hangs on him more than fits him) and trousers they have to string tightly around his waist to keep them from slipping off.

They retreat quietly to their beds afterwards, and Kris patiently waits for Baekhyun to start talking as he does every night.

"Kris?"

"Hm?"

"Can I come down there?" He asks unsurely.

"Um, okay...?" Kris replies even more unsurely.

Baekhyun slowly slips down, accidently kicking the other but he decides not to complain, and then the fairy presses himself flat against Kris' side. Kris stays rock still, waiting, waiting, waiting...

Baekhyun repositions himself to get comfortable. His breath ghosts on Kris' collar bones, even sneaks past the fabric of his clothes to make him shiver. He's still waiting ...

"They told us, in Neverland, that if anyone gets lost, they are forgotten."

"That's absurd." Kris replies.

"I know," Baekhyun says strongly, "How can you forget someone that makes you so happy, you fly into the clouds? How can you forget someone who makes you so sad, Neverland brings in storms? Right? You can't forget things like these, right? We were only playing a game when I got separated from the group. They couldn't have forgotten me so suddenly, right?"

"Right," Kris answers.

"But, it's true," His voice falls into a low quiver, "You forgot Kris. You forgot what your happiest memory was."

"It was just a memory, Baekhyun. A person is something entirely different. I don't think I'd ever forget a person who made me so happy, I'd reach the clouds."

"Didn't that memory have people? Didn't these people make you so happy, you remembered them? You turned them into a memory. You tried to preserve them."

Kris falters, "It's different."

"People and memories are the same. If you lose sight of either, you can't remember them anymore. When you get lost, people forget you." He whispers.

"No. When you get lost, people look for you." Kris says.

"And when they can't find you?"

"They look harder." Kris states in a voice that rings with finality.

"I wonder if Chen's looking for me anymore." Baekhyun shifts again, "I'm tired."

"Let's go to sleep."

And Kris realizes, this is the first time Baekhyun has even said the word 'tired'.

"Thank you." He can hear it clearly now that Baekhyun is lying right next to him.

"You're welcome."

 

 

-

 

 

The next morning feels like any other day. Baekhyun is singing a nursery rhyme as Kris mentally checks his schedule for the day. His priority is a confrontation with Chanyeol.

Kris knocks and enters his flat-mate's room as he's finished changing. "Morning!" Chanyeol greets, "Whatever it was, it wasn't me." He quickly adds going by the look on Kris' face.

"I wanted to ask about Baekhyun."

"Hm?" Chanyeol's eyebrows quirk up. "Who?"

"Baekhyun," Kris repeats, "A little fairy we had. The one who's wing you broke."

"You're drunk." Chanyeol says straight-faced, eyes squinting at his flat mate. "The world is ending isn't it? Oh no!" He exclaims when the accusing look changes into one of horrific revelation. He suddenly clasps his face, "I haven't even confessed to Dara yet!"

Kris smacks him. "I'm talking about him," He points out towards the kitchen, just as Baekhyun steps out with his too-loose clothes.

"Who's the guy? I thought he was your one-night stand."

Kris can tell in a heartbeat when Chanyeol lies, it's one of the benefits of being long time flat-mates. Unfortunately, Chanyeol is not acting. And if he is, he's going places with this level of skill.

"You don't remember having movie nights, or baby talking or levitating in the kitchen with Baekhyun?"

Chanyeol stares at him. Hard. "Kris, I'm concerned for you," He says somberly, "You need to start breathing fresh air."

"When did you stop your drinking nights, huh?"

"When I discovered the beauty that's pirated movies!"

 

 

-

 

 

Kris takes Baekhyun to an arcade he used to frequent during his early days in college. The annoying music and neon lights annoy him to no end, but Baekhyun seems taken by the place, just as he had predicted. They spend half the night learning games and Baekhyun letting other kids kick his .

The other half is spent exploring the nearest food street, until Baekhyun announces his fatigue. Kris readily agrees, since his stamina was never good to begin with, but he feels it's been improving if ever so slightly. In contrast, Baekhyun has been losing his. Kris hopes he hasn't been swallowing Baekhyun's positive energy.

When they lay down to sleep and the lights go out, Baekhyun speaks up again.

"If Chen forgets me, where will I go?" His voice sounds timid, searching for assurance.

"No one has forgotten you. You're a hard person to forget." Kris adds, "Even forcefully."

"But Neverland makes you forget." Kris can't see him, but he feel the massive pout on Baekhyun's lips.

"No one can make you forget." He responds, "Least of all make anyone forget someone like you. Didn't you say you shine the brightest? Sing the best?"

"Can I come down?"

Kris sighs, making space as Baekhyun quietly comes to rest against him. "Chen is looking for you, and we're going to go all over the city until we find him, or he finds us."

"What if he can't? Neverland has always been my home."

"Well then, we'll have to accommodate you here, somehow." He doesn't doubt he will.

"Thank you."

 

 

-

 

 

When Kris walks into the kitchen, Baekhyun is sitting on the counter nibbling on a slice of bread. The sunlight bathes him, and Kris isn't sure if his eyes betray him, but Baekhyun looks ... sad? Grey? Thin?

He presses a hand against the other's forehead, but Baekhyun seems fine, normal even.

"How are you feeling?"

"Happy." He grins, before he looks out the window to see kids marching down the street in their school uniforms.

"Well," Chanyeol grins, as he enters the kitchen, shooting Kris an exaggerated wink, "Looks like this one will be sticking around." He mutters as he leaves, "Does this mean I can bring people over?"

"No."

 

 

-

 

 

Baekhyun wants to go to the amusement park. So they go to the amusement park.

When Baekhyun climbs on the carousal, Kris takes a photo of him. This new 'discovery' excites Baekhyun. It's not long before the fairy takes his phone, learns the magic of the camera and starts abusing all the free memory.

 

 

-

 

 

The days pass in a blur of nothingness. The nights pass in a rush of lights and laughter. The quieter parts of the nights pass in murmurs of broken hopes and comforting whispers.

 

Kris thinks Baekhyun must feel like he's stranded at a hexed railway junction. Trains come and go, come and go, come and go but the schedule is eternally constant. The same trains, the same timings, the same destinations. They board them all but they always end up back at the same station. He accompanies Baekhyun on all the trips, and they still get off at the same point they started from, so it doesn't make a difference who gets on and who doesn't. They're stuck.

It's a loop and they keep coming round and round, and somehow, it still never gets tiring for him.

Kris wonders how long he can ask Baekhyun to keep his eyes closed. He wonders if Baekhyun's realized that none of these trains will take him where he wants.

Though Baekhyun seems to be getting nowhere, Kris thinks all these rides are taking him somewhere instead. It's not a physical destination, because he's also stuck at the same junction, it's something else.

It's a new destination for something secure behind the cage of his ribs and on the cushion of his lungs.

 

 

-

 

 

Summer is faintly losing its breath, letting the next season crawl over. He can't remember exactly when it was that Baekhyun flew in through the door and got stuck with them. It feels like the smaller had always been a part of his life.

They're in the aquarium today. Fish swimming left, right, overhead, visible through the glass barriers and everything is tinged in blue. It's hilarious because that's the color Kris feels his insides are permanently bathed in.

Baekhyun's face is plastered against the water tanks, eyes following a floating mass inside, when he speaks up.

"What makes you happy?"

Kris ponders on the question, sight fixed on the small slender fingers spread wide against the glass. "A lot of things, I suppose."

Baekhyun smiles. "You make me happy."

"Oh?" Kris laughs, clearly taken aback, "My black heart makes you happy?" He asks amusedly, though a small wisp of offense lingers.

"But your heart is a galaxy isn't it?" Baekhyun says this as he turns around, "A galaxy has stars. It has a lot of brilliant white stars." The way he looks at Kris, it's like he sees a star in front of him right that very moment.

"What makes a heart black, and what makes a heart white?" Kris asks as he steps up to Baekhyun but looks away, observing the lazy fish that has had the fairy's attention for the past few minutes.

"A heart that leaves others is black," Baekhyun replies, "and one that spreads happiness is white."

"Sounds like bull." Kris says before he can stop himself. He looks aside to see Baekhyun's reaction, but the male is still smiling.

"Your heart is peculiar, but it's a wonder," He says, "It used to be pitch black. Now there's so much white on it."

Kris puts his hands in his pockets, unsure what to do with them. Their eyes track the floating creature and he doesn't even bother try to figure out what it is. He's only asking himself, white is good, right? Or is it like scabs of a wound?

"Let's get something to eat?" He asks aloud instead.

"Can we go home after that? I'm tired."

"Of course." He raises his arm and waits for Baekhyun to fit himself against his chest, before putting it around the younger's shoulder and heading towards the cafeteria.

Kris is pretty certain Baekhyun has lost weight. It's hard to see because he wears Kris' oversized clothes, but the way he fits against Kris at night feels different from before. His form, once all clear skin and plump to touch, has now reduced to fingers too thin and wrist bones prominently jutting out where they once didn't. Blue veins flow like tributaries all over his hands, feet and neck and Baekhyun bruises easily. He's unsure what it means, because the male has actually increased his food intake.

Baekhyun suddenly stumbles.

"Watch your step." Kris helps him upright.

The fairy blinks dazedly. He looks at his feet, at the glowing croc shoes, and then at Kris before he frowns ever so slightly. "Ok," He responds before he reaches out for Kris, a small smile blooming on his face again and a murmured 'Thank you' passing his lips.

 

 

-

 

 

"You'll forget me when I leave." Baekhyun accuses as he pinches Kris' nose in punishment.

"That's easier said than done." Kris replies, swatting away the hand and shifting so that he pulls Baekhyun closer and in a more comfortable position to sleep. The fairy is cold to touch and he tries to figure out why. He puts an arm around the other to pass more of his heat.

"You will. Chen forgot me." He can never see Baekhyun, but he can always tell what expression the other makes as he talks in the dark. He's pouting at the moment.

"I won't."

"You forgot your own memories. How will you keep mine?" The fairy's voice falls with every spoken syllable and the last word is a murmur Kris doesn't even catch.

"I won't. You're you. I won't forget you." Kris assures. He doesn't know why Baekhyun has such a ridiculous notion. Everything about him is unusual, and Kris is honest when he says that he won't forget the fairy even if someone makes him. Baekhyun. Brilliant, bright, beautiful. No, he doesn't think he can ever forget a person who's smile dazzles him every. Single. Goddamn. Time. "I won't."

Baekhyun's cool nose touches his chin and he has a strong urge to squeeze Baekhyun tight enough to mould him to his body and give away all his warmth. "Neverland will make you forget." The words sound as cold as his touch.

"Neverland can try, but there are two of us with those memories, and there's only one of Neverland."

He feels Baekhyun smiling.

"Thank you, Kris." Despite how cool Baekhyun is to touch, his breath is still warm.

 

 

-

 

 

It's very obvious now. Something is wrong with Baekhyun.

He weighs lighter. He gets tired easily. He bumps into walls and poles even if he's looking straight ahead. He starts spending more time asleep and tangled in sheets because the cold just won't seem to leave him. His skin bruises easily and collects them like tattoos. Kris has to hold his wrist more gently now otherwise blue fingerprints mar Baekhyun's cream skin for hours to come, if not the whole day.

Something is wrong with Kris too.

He enjoys Baekhyun's smiles and laughter. His heart swells up every time he knows he is the reason Baekhyun lights up. He looks forward to the nights so that Baekhyun will hold his hand and press his small frame against Kris so they can stay together as they explore the city. He waits for the lights to go out so that Baekhyun will snuggle up to him and ask him all sort of crap about happiness and hearts, only so that he can hear him speak.

He longs. He waits. He wishes. He prays. Because now, Baekhyun's laughter is scarce. It hurts his jaw, he says. He can't spend more than a few hours outside, it tires him out, he complains. He spends too much time in the bed, it feels cold, he shivers.

Kris decides to take him to the hospital, but Baekhyun refuses to be taken off the bed.

There's nothing wrong with either of them, Kris decides. It's their hearts.

Baekhyun's heart is giving up. Kris' is only just blooming.

 

 

-

 

 

"Have you ever seen the sea?"

"Neverland is all sea." Baekhyun responds as Kris helps him put on a cardigan. He sighs every time Kris' warm finger brush against his skin.

"Maybe Chen will be there? If Neverland is all water, maybe Chen is looking around our waters." He buttons the front, shooting a discreet look at the smaller male's face to see what feels about this.

"Chen isn't looking for me anymore." He smiles looking directly at Kris. It's painful because it still looks honest and bright, despite the circles that are starting to hang around Baekhyun's eyes.

"You don't know that."

"I do," He smiles wider, "He's forgotten me. Just as Chanyeol has, and just as you will." A small, bony finger jabs him right in the eye.

"Ow. Don't be ridiculous." He pulls Baekhyun's hands together in his larger ones, blowing a warm breath onto them.

"Kris," Baekhyun's small (why are they still cold?) hands cup his jaw and tilt his face so that he's looking directly at Baekhyun, "I can't see you clearly anymore. My eyes..." He gulps.

Kris feels a shudder pass through him -whether it's the other's skin or his words, he's unsure. He places his hands on the fairy's shoulders, gently brushing them up until he's cupping Baekhyun's face, "Can you feel me, Baekhyun?"

"Yes,"

"Then that's good enough." He presses his cheek against the fairy's, "Am I warm?"

"Very,"

"That's good enough," He pulls back to take a good look at the pale face, "You know, you still sing beautifully, and you still shine. When I'm surrounded by people or when I'm alone in my room, I only look for you and I only think of you. You shine the brightest, Baekhyun. Whether you're in my sight or out, you shine all the time."

The smile drops from Baekhyun's face. He blinks rapidly as his tears build up. They gather and gather until he's pulling himself away and trying to clear them up as they start pouring. "Why are you saying such things? It's unfair to me."

"Baek-"

A loud sobs wrecks through the smaller and he smacks Kris on the arm, "It's unfair!" He cries, "When you'll forget everything and I'll be the only one left to remember it all."

"No! I won't-"

"I'll get lost again, and then you'll never be able to see me, and you'll forget me like everyone." Kris tries to get a word in but Baekhyun has blown a fuse. "I wish- I wish I could forget everything too! I wish I could be the one to forget Chen! And to forget you! Then it wouldn't hurt so much. Then it would be okay if I die."

"What are you saying?"

The fairy sobs, "Can't you see, Kris? People have forgotten me! I'm dying because of it!"

"That's not possible." It's only a broken heart, he assures himself.

"Being forgotten is like being dead! It's worse than that, because you're alive but no one thinks of you. At least when you're dead this thought doesn't bother you." He keeps clearing his cheeks of tears, but there are more to replace them.

"I still remember everything. The first day, the first week and every moment until now." Kris whispers. He wonders if Baekhyun hears him over his sobs.

"They're all memories, aren't they? Like your childhood memory?" Baekhyun asks bitterly, "Chen has forgotten me. Chanyeol doesn't remember, the people in the amusement park don't remember, in a few days, you won't either. I'm going to die. Neverland is going to end me."

Kris wants to tell him, no. He wants to object. He wants to knock some sense into him. He wants to tell Baekhyun that even if the world pushes him aside, Kris would hold him close, just as he does every night.

He would share his warmth, and he would share his sight, and his touch and his love, anything that Baekhyun needed to pull through. He wants to tell Baekhyun that even if Chen has left him, Kris won't, because he can't. Baekhyun still shone bright, so blindingly bright even as he lost weight, his smile, his sight, his warmth, he was still shinning. To Kris. Every single day, and every night, as they came together, all Baekhyun did was shine.

"You can see my heart right?" Kris asks, placing one hand around Baekhyun's waist to pull him close and the other pats his chest, "It's so shriveled, and small, and still black. It can only take in so much. But Baekhyun," He breathes. The name weighs on his tongue, on his lungs, on his breath, on his chest. "Baekhyun, your heart is so big, it can accommodate the world. No one can ever forget a heart like that."

"Chen did. I got lost and-" Kris presses his fingers against the other's mouth. Half of Baekhyun's face gets hidden. Baekhyun is so small.

"Then Chen didn't see you properly. You deserve better than to just be forgotten."

Baekhyun, the one who pulled Chanyeol out of his drinking routine. Baekhyun, the one who pulled Kris out of his monotonous routine. The one who made children smile wherever he went. The one who made Kris' heart flutter with his voice. The one who lightened up the world around him. The one who deserved better then to just disappear.

Kris reaches out to put his arms firmly around the smaller, cocooning him in his warmth and love. "I won't let you."

"I don't want to die like this." His voice cracks.

"You won't."

 

 

-

 

 

 

With summer only a few days shy of departure, Kris feels the little left natural beauty should be explored. He's curious what comparisons Baekhyun would make to Neverland this time.

They venture to the local park. No flashy lights or loud music, no crowds or banter. Only peace and tranquility surround them.

"I wish I were born human." Baekhyun says as he watches a group of children playing with a dog, "I've noticed I wished for a lot of things ever since I started dying."

"You're not dying." Kris says, rolling his eyes. He passes Baekhyun one of the wrapped sandwiches he purchased on the way in.

Baekhyun quickly removes the paper cover and takes a bite, "It tastes," He pauses, "Like nothing."

"It's a bad sandwich," Kris says, taking Baekhyun's and passing his own, "Try this one."

Baekhyun pouts, "Even this one tastes like nothing."

Kris takes a test bite. There's an explosion of flavours in his mouth. "I was right." He says, tossing both food items in the bin, "They're bland and tasteless. Let's take a picture."

When Kris goes away to get them something to drink, Baekhyun gets up to see the flowery bushes. He leans down, and takes a deep whiff of the rose. "Nothing." He goes to another bunch, and tries to detect it's smell, "Nothing." Another, "Nothing." Another, "Nothing." Back to the first one, "Nothing."

When Kris returns, he pretends the colored liquid is delicious, and he pretends he can still smell Kris' cologne and teases him about it. 

 

 

-

 

 

Kris used to spend most of his energies humoring Baekhyun.

Now he spent most of them caring for him. It was only natural he would wake up without Baekhyun's cold, bony body pressed against him.

He sits up, gently calling out for him but receives no response. All the lights are off, and he tries to rouse himself to full wakefulness when he hears the familiar clatter of metal bins and a surprised yelp.

"!" He bolts upright. Kris runs out blindly, barefoot and body exposed to the chill of the oncoming winter. It's still an ungodly hour to be awake, and he's internally screaming at Baekhyun on why he's outside.

The smaller male has only just stood up when Kris barges out of the door. The fairy gasps, runs and slams into the building wall. Kris is quick to catch him before he hits the ground again.

"What are you doing!" He's never raised his voice this much at anyone before.

Baekhyun's arms fly haphazardly as he searches for an anchor before settling firmly on Kris' chest. He's trembling down to his core and Kris wonders whether it's because his body is ice cold or because he is terrified of Kris.

 

"Baekhyun?" He asks soothingly, anger instantly dispersed at the sight of the frazzled other.

The fairy doesn't respond, only looks back in shame. His eyes appear unfocused, not looking at the proper angle. Kris' brows furrow. He tilts his head and notices Baekhyun's eyes don't follow his movement.

"Baekhyun, can you see me?"

His lips shrink into a thin line. "I could still see a little when I was going down the stairs."

 

 

-

 

 

Kris leans against the doorframe and watches the male softly snoozing in his bed, wrapped up in sheets. His hair is a mess on the pillow -like Kris' brain is at the moment- and his lips are a pale pink, just as his open eyes are a dull brown.

Why did you go off like that? Kris had asked.

It's better this way, Baekhyun had responded.

No, it's not, Kris had almost torn his hair off.

I was afraid you'd forget me, he had started saying, but now I realize this might be the best thing after all, he had paused then, gripping his chest as if speaking so much brought him difficulty, before he bravely continued, I don't want you to think of me anymore, not after I'm gone. If you feel this pain that I do, then it's best if you do forget. I don't want anyone to be hurting because of me. It's a very bad feeling. And it's very sad, and lonely. I'm cold all the time, Kris.

Kris had promised to take care of him. He had promised him a hundred other things too. And then Baekhyun had driven him up the wall with a simple, Neverland makes sure we're always happy. I want you to be happy too.

Neverland, Kris remembered cursing. He said it a few good times until the local security guard had sauntered over to see what the problem was.

I'm very tired, Baekhyun had said and it effectively put a full stop on the conversation, just as it did on every other conversation.

 

 

"You're not dying." Kris says, "You're not dying," He repeats, "Not when I just found you."

 

 

-

 

 

"You should call his parents," Chanyeol murmurs in Kris' ear as Baekhyun nibbles on an apple in the bedroom, "He doesn't look good at all."

Kris sighs, "He won't let me take him to the hospital."

Chanyeol purses his lips. "He looks really sick, Krease."

"I know, goddamnit, I know!" He yells frustratingly as his fist connects with the wall. Chanyeol jumps away and Baekhyun curiously looks out, trying to figure out what the commotion is about.

"Kris?" His voice is low, brittle. It can't go beyond a few more days. Kris hurries over to his side so that Baekhyun doesn't have to waste any more words or breaths over him.

 

 

Chanyeol observes the two. He doesn't think he'll ever forget the sight of the youth smiling at some words he whispers to Kris, fingers touching the taller male's chin, and Kris himself shaking, nodding and the other's cheeks. He can see a lot of photos tacked on the board above Kris' study desk, but he's not sure whose they are. Kris only really has had his schedules and notes pinned there. Now it's filled with prints of a person -in some cases; two- in a lot of dark places with bright lighting.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

It's past noon and Baekhyun still hasn't woken up.

Kris lays with him in bed, an arm wrapped around the other.

Baekhyun is still breathing, so he's still here. But he's so cold to touch.

When the fairy wakes up, he wants to see the stars. They both ignore the fact that his eyes are unseeing now.

"I'll show you the north one. The one that takes us to Neverland."

"That would be great." Kris replies. Then he carries Baekhyun to the kitchen because he complains about being tired of sleeping all day. Baekhyun eats chocolate, 'It's tasteless,' He comments when Chanyeol says it's his favourite brand.

When night falls, Kris warps him around in layers of clothing before carrying him up to the rooftop. Baekhyun wants to be let down and then he gazes into the sky. For a moment, Kris is fooled into believing Baekhyun can still see. The lights and stars reflect in his eyes, and Baekhyun still shines even in the hands of death.

"I wish I could see, so I could really show you."

"What I'm seeing is exactly what you're seeing," Kris replies, "It's nothing but black. There's not a speck in the sky."

"Oh," Baekhyun inches closer to Kris, "That's too bad."

 

 

When they head back down, Baekhyun insists on using the stairs himself. Chanyeol meets them in the corridor.

"Hey, new neighbour?" He asks curiously as peers at Baekhyun, "I'm Chanyeol, his roomie." He points at Kris.

Kris stiffens up. Baekhyun smiles back, "I'm Baekhyun. It's nice to meet you."

"He's staying over." Kris says as he steps into their apartment.

"Someone's getting luc-"

"No, Chanyeol, no. No one is getting lucky." Kris cuts him harshly.

 

 

-

 

 

 

He always imagines Baekhyun's lips to be soft and warm, if they ever press against him. Even though he touches Baekhyun every day, and the male is so cold to touch it sends shivers tingling throughout his body, he still imagines Baekhyun's lips to be warm.

But they are cold.

They are cold when they press softly against Kris' own just as he's about to doze off. Even when Kris kisses him back, they are cold. Kris touches him, but everything is still cold.

He takes off his shirt, takes off Baekhyun's and presses them together, tight and close. But everything is still ing cold. There's warm him, an invisible insulating sheet between them and then a cold Baekhyun.

He trails kisses down the smaller male's neck and abdomen, and he hopes and prays Baekhyun gets warm as Kris treats him so.

But, Baekhyun is miserably cold.

And this ing cold is killing him, and it's killing Baekhyun.

 

 

You're so warm, Kris, Baekhyun whispers sometime between being kissed breathless. Breaths are already hard to catch, but he thinks it's pleasant to leave in the heat of passion than in the thought of loneliness. Your heart is so white, Kris, he commends. Kris eats away his smile until he moans softly. Kris' hands are large, comforting, safe and most of all, alive. They're b with life. Heat. Love.

Baekhyun has reached his very last strand. He knows it. He gasps when Kris' mouth travels downward and does things Baekhyun's never ever imagined. He makes him feels things, both inside and out, that Baekhyun never thought existed. Baekhyun is gasping, , whimpering and crying at the same time.

He wishes he could see Kris' face.

He cries because he's so happy, and he cries because he's so sad, and he's breaking into pieces, which break into more, and more, until they're nothing but minuscule dots, because he's just so happy and just so sad.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Keep me and remember me for all the happy things. That was the first thing he said.

There's no time to be sad, and there should be no room for sadness. Kris had scoffed in disbelief at Baekhyun's words.

Remember all the times we laughed and smiled. And don't forget how much I shone, ok? How can I ever?

I am the brightest after all, so that shouldn't be a problem. Don't forget my beautiful voice either. It was my pride. I wish I could sing you one more song. My favourite one, about how the sun makes the flowers happy. Listening to you speak is enough for me. Save your breath, please.

Speaking of which, you should go out more Kris, and discover more places. Maybe you can find some things we missed out when we were together, because we were together. He laughs but it breaks into a cough. Laughing puts a strain on him.

I had so much fun with you. Me too.

Try not to forget me ... but it's alright if you do. I won't be mad. I'll never forget you though. I think it's enough if even one of us is still able to remember all of this. In a way, it's better if it's me. I'll leave with so many happy thoughts. And you should live on with many happy thoughts. I think if you remember me, it'll only be painful, won't it? I should know. Don't forget that there was a person who shone really bright, ok? An annoying person who shone and laughed a lot.

 

 

 

Kris remembers the words without the wheezing, coughing and gasps for breaths.

There's too much he wants to give and just not enough time left for it.

 

 

-

 

 

 

Baekhyun lays and does nothing else.

His eyes remain open for a few minutes and then stay close for the coming hours. They open for a few minutes and then close again for the remainder of the day. His words are gone. His whispers are mute. His breathing is agonizingly slow, and every time he inhales, Kris fears there would be no exhale next. When he exhales, Kris fears there would be no inhale next. He waits with bated breath until the faint movement of the blankets assure him the other is still alive.

He's not sure if his mind is playing tricks on him or if Baekhyun's being is becoming so weak, he's actually faintly starting to see through him.

He laughs at himself. Baekhyun can't really disappear.

 

 

-

 

 

Kris goes to sleep with Baekhyun's barely detectable breaths ghosting on his collar bones, and he wakes up with nothing but clothes in his arms.

Instinct tells him to check the kitchen -he does- but Baekhyun isn't there. He checks the bathroom, goes out into the corridor and out of the building too. The dustbins are all lined up. Nobody has clumsily stumbled into them. He goes back into the apartment and lays back down on the bed, gathering the clothes and pushing his nose into the shirt.

Mint, citrus, and something distinctly flowery. Baekhyun.

He gets up again to look in the kitchen.

"I'll be spending the night over at Jongin's," Chanyeol informs just as he steps out of his room, "We're going to get together for a group study, but we're really just going to run a marathon of action flicks."

"Have you seen Baekhyun?" Kris peeks inside the bathroom.

"Who?"

"Baekhyun." Kris repeats, as he turns his attention to Chanyeol.

"Uh... Who's he again?"

"The guy I got lucky with, my boyfriend, roommate, I don't know. Do you remember the guy who's been sleeping here with us for the past month?"

Chanyeol raises his brows, "There's been someone here the whole month? I don't know man. I haven't seen anyone. Have they been sneaking in?"

Kris growls frustratingly before he marches into his room.

The photos are all there, pinned to the soft board above his study table. Baekhyun's all there, smiling, laughing, shinning.

Kris grabs the side of the board and takes it off the wall, observing every photo. All the fatigue wears off him and the hysterical beating of his heart invites a simmering anger. Why should Baekhyun disappear from his arms and stay in his pictures?

He throws it across the room and watches the papers and pictures, those taped so delicately, go scattering everywhere as the board collides against the wall. He realizes he hadn't meant to do that. He wanted to gather them all together to keep them safe. Now they're everywhere. Beautiful Baekhyun mixed with his disgusting old self. The mild misery passes just as quick as his anger arrives.

Kris collects the clothes on the bed, and throws them out the window -they land on top of the line of bins below. He doesn't know what possesses him to flip over the mattress. He doesn't know what provokes him into pulling his study desk off the nails in the wall and throwing it wherever he pleases. He's not sure why he's pulling out all the things Baekhyun brought from different places, before he's throwing them around and screaming at them to break.

He's angry. He knows he's demonically angry. He can also hear Chanyeol shouting, but it's not like he gives a .

He marches into the kitchen, sees red when he sees the tissue box and proceeds to fling it out the window. Sees the loaf of bread, gets a flash of a small mouth nibbling on bread, and then throws the item out of the kitchen. He kicks the dust bin, punches the wall, and struggles against Chanyeol to be free and do something so his knuckles break and bleed.

He feels his brain boiling in his head, his heart screaming in pain.

When he's exhausted himself, half the apartment is a mess. His room is a disaster zone, and Chanyeol has a bleeding nose and lip. He still manages to give a thumbs up to Kris as he's stuffing his nose with cotton pads when Kris shoots him a concerned look.

"I'm ok, man. Just take care of yourself."

He couldn't have asked for a better or worse roommate.

 

 

-

 

 

It's been two days and he still thinks of Baekhyun. He wonders where he is. If there's a Heaven or a place where all living things go when they leave the Earth. He hopes there is. He wants to see Baekhyun again. This lifetime was not enough. Their meeting was too short. Everything went in fast forward and then ended too abruptly.

He sees Baekhyun when he looks out the window, he sees him when he walks into the kitchen or steps onto the roof. He sees him as a silhouette when he goes to sleep and he hears him as he wakes up. There are small instances when Baekhyun is so vivid, Kris forgets that he's no longer present. Every time he hears Baekhyun singing, he forgets they're not together any more. At night, when he closes his eyes, he hears Baekhyun asking him questions, but when he replies, the magic breaks and Baekhyun is gone and he's alone again.

His room, the whole goddamn apartment is so tight, and lonely. He doesn't know how he managed to stay cooped up in it for hours, days on end.

Four days later he goes to the amusement park and he hears Baekhyun's laughter all around him. He feels Baekhyun's touches when he stands in a queue, and he sees Baekhyun's smile on every child's face. It's too much. He breaks down on the Ferris wheel, and even then he hears Baekhyun telling him how his heart is so white.

"And you shine so much," He tells him back. But Baekhyun isn't really there. It's just a grieving man surrounded by his memories.

 

 

-

 

 

One week later, there's a gaping hole in his chest and he doesn't know why. It's like he's missing something from the inside. He visits a doctor, just in case, because he can't sleep at night and every morning a feeling of ansty makes him walk in the small space between the kitchen and his room for almost an hour. He can't figure himself out. It feels like he's waiting for something, but nothing ever really happens.

Chanyeol takes him out to a treat because he thinks Kris has been down in the drains for way too long.

Kris' 'Thank you' has his flat mate choking on his food.

"Yea, no problem. Yea," He eyes Kris verily, waiting for some other words to come pouring out his lips. None do.

Instead of heading home, they walk around. Kris feels it strongly than ever, the feeling of a vacuum. Something just at the back of his mind but not quite there, because the more he reaches for it, the more it seems to retreat. He messes his hair frustratingly.

A small family passes by them, one of their two kids is singing a nursery rhyme and it freezes Kris in his steps. He stops to watch them, waits until the child has stopped and is demanding for a hot treat on the cold evening. Chanyeol nudges him.

"Everything alright?"

"Hm? Oh yea," Kris resumes the walk. There's an itch, something scraping his skull about that child. He wonders where he's seen him before. Perhaps it's the child's parents? Maybe the song was from his primary days? He's not sure. But something is there and it bothers him all the way back.

 

 

-

 

 

"What will make you really happy?" Chanyeol asks one day as they're preparing lunch in the kitchen.

Kris shrugs his shoulders. "Something that could fill this big ing gap inside me. I don't know. I think figuring out what's wrong with me would give me immense happiness." His doctor has suggested early morning runs, but Kris does them at night, he's more drawn to it for some reason. Too boxed in, the doctor had thought might be the reason for what Kris was feeling,an escape from technology is needed, a change of pace from monotony. It hadn't helped so far. "What about you?"

Chanyeol smiles widely, "When Dara agrees to sleep with me."

"You only asked me that so you could tell me that, didn't you?"

"Yeap." Chanyeol laughs, and the neon colored, heart shaped sunglasses he's wearing on his head tip down on his forehead.

"What's with those plastic glasses? Were they prescribed to you?" Kris teases.

"Found them in your room," Chanyeol grins, "A matching pair. I thought you got one for me. Couple's items you know," He gives his brow a suggestive wiggle before laughing loudly at Kris' expression.

 Kris makes a mental to do a thorough cleanup of his room within the week. He found a lot of trash in his room the previous day as he was rummaging through his closet; a bulk of blank photo cards, a printed list of places to visit in the city and a massive collection of ticket stubs, among other things like arcade coins, little toy trinkets and food brochures. There was even a pair of glowing crocs under his bed that he flung at his flat-mate ("Keep your garbage in your own room!") as soon as he found them, wondering how the hell he had missed them before and how the hell they got there in the first place and why the hell Chanyeol would buy a size so small.

God only knows where Chanyeol dug out these hideous glasses from.

 


Fun info: Kris used to be the Fisher King! But then he left Neverland and it was all forgotten.
-whispers-Neverland is evil.