NIGHTMARE

A place we will go

[EXT. FOREST - MIDNIGHT] Heavy breathing, hurting chest. Esom is running. She is running fast, with all her effort put in together. She feels tired, but she must run. She is running away from something. She doesn't know what it is that is following her, but there is a instinct feeling that if she allows the figure to catch up with her she'll be dead.

Esom is tyring her best not to run into the trees. But its impossible as the night is dark and there is no light from the moon to show shed light on her. The ground is muddy and her feet is cold. She wears no shoes, the ground is too slippery for her to run in barefeet. 

She looks over her shoulder and she can definately feel a presence of somekind. 

"Please... stop following me, go away!" she yelled to the figure. 

In a blast of a thousand screams the figure yelled back at her. "ESOM!"

It surprise her, and she feel foward to the ground. What is that? Thats a monster!

"NOOO, Please, Go Away! KA! KA! Save me, someone save me!" she yeslls as she scambles to try to kick herself back up agian.

From a near distance, Esom catch sight of a damp lighting like a beacon. Its an oil lamp sitting on a window sill. "There" she hears. "Go there". Esom is even more scare and she searches around to see what was talking. To see what was coming towards her. To see how far the house was away from her.

"Go there and you'll be safe Esom-ah" said the warm voice again. The warmth engulfed her, in some sense, given her strength to pick up her speed.

 

Who is this? Esom doesn't have time to question the voice, she listens and contiunes to the direction of the light. If the light was coming from a window, theres a house, she thought to herself. Her chest is tightening from the fast pace running, she inhales deeply and fights herself to keep running. 

"Hurry, Esom!" says the voice.

Esom push herself harder to run, but she loose her footing to the ground and slipped and falls flat once again. She falls a feet ahead. As she falls, the ground knocks the air from her body, sending her a complete blow, causing her unable to grasp for air or any control of her body.

This is it, she's done. She can hear the monster scream in excitement to finally capture her.

"Get up" encouraged the mysterious voice.

Esom recovers, take control of her body again. Her cheeks can feel the cold mud. She pushes herself back up, but she also notice that her palm was stinging from a hard slap. It was cement. It was cement that her hands slapped on. She had reached the foot of the stairs! She looks up to confirm it, and there it was, a staircase leading up a steep hill to the house where the light was shinning. She runs.

She pushed her legs to skip over every other stair. Only if she had longer legs, she would try to skip every three stairs instead. Something touched her elbow. Oh no! Faster, faster Esom!

"I got you!" scream the monster, briefly brushing her back with cold sharp nails.

"No" She cries. She propel both her legs and arms harder for the last few steps of the stairs, shut her eyes, lean forward in hope that she'll be faster!

*Kong kong kong the sound of wooden floors coming from beneath her, warmth hitting her skin, light burst into her eyes, "Yes!" says the mysterious voice, and the door slams shut behind her. The figure hits the door hard and it screams! Black dust came through the cracks and evaporates in mid air.

“This is it, its done, I’m in, its over, its over” she breathes rapidly, her hand on her hips, she paces a little, her feelings overwhelmed, her eyes blurry from the tears that are building up. Her heart is beating loudly in her head. Her legs weaken and she collapsed underneath her.

“What the hell was that? What was chasing after me? I almost didn’t make it, I thought I was going to die” she cries to herself. She’s becomes so indulge into her helplessness she weeps loudly. “I almost didn’t make it” she repeats again. Breathing was already hard from running, her struggle to breathe while crying adds on to her sorrow and the crying was unable to stop.

“You’re here. You’ve made it esom” says the soft voice.  “Be calm”

Esom listened and slowed her breathing. She questioned more about what just happened, but didn’t dare dig deeper into her curiosity as it’ll only make her feel venerable. Esom takes hold of herself and takes notice of the design of the rug that she’s on top of. Its a royal red color with a victorian designed. She slightly move her fingers to feel the rug underneath her. Its probably not a dream, she can feel what is beneath her. She lift her head up to look around her. Its a small hallway with a staircase to her right. The lighting is yellow and fills the room. The door that barricades her away from the monster is indeed shut. Wooden walls beside her, and small furniture that completed the hallway. Its looked like it came out from a western house setting.

“끝났어(keun na seo, its over)” She says, and picks herself up.

“um, 끝났어” says the voice.

"The monster is gone?"

"It evoraprating into nothingness"

"The monster is gone," she reassurse herself. “깁에가고십어 (I want to go home)”

“We are home”

“No, this isn’t home. Home... home is at the pier, at the mining camp” she said. She knew this answer deep in her heart. Anywhere she goes, she will knows that she herself will only say that home is at the pier.

“We are at the pier, take a look outside, you can see the harbor from here”

She walked towards the front door, considering on opening the front door, but that was the way back to the monster. So she took the stairs instead, she was heading to where she remembers the oil lamp was sitting as her beacon. Where it was sitting by a window sill.

As she reached the top of the stairs, searched for the room towards the front of the house, where the oil lamp by the window sill would be. The room was empty but there was a small table in the middle of it. There look like something was ontop of it, but the light by the sill didn’t reach the table. Esom walked on over to bring the lamp closer.

As she got to the window, “Esom look, if you look through the window you’ll see the harbor, we ARE home” said the voice.

She looked out, and she can make out a coastline. It was where the sky full of stars and the vast empty sea touched. The star twinkled, but the night was dead. No wind, no sense of life.

“No, you're wrong, home is where mom, dad, brother, and I lived” she explained to the voice.

“Esom-ah”

Ignoring the voice she looked in to the room. There was a table in the middle of the room. She walked over to the table. On top of it was a tattered scarf of blue purple and white.  Esom already recognized it. It looks like the one she has hidden deep in her draw back in HER OWN bedroom. Esom examine the cloth in her hand, certainty it was the same one she had. What could it be doing here? Her negligent to it must’ve brung it here, as if it was its own person,.  Esom noticed a thread from the scarf, and pull the reminder gently to view until the other end of the scarf was in her hand. But there shouldn’t be another end. She remembers it being torn that dreadful night years ago. Why is it here?

Suddenly a jolt sound came from the room. It startles her. What is that noise? It sound like a suction of something. Searching the room, she holds the lamp up gently to the air with her right hand, while holding the scarf with her left. Could it be the monster from before? It can’t be, it already vanished, evaporated into dust. The thought that it’s not over frightens her. Where else is she to run? There was nothing there.

“Esom-ah” came from the voice. This time it sounded like the source of the voice is now in the room.  Esom was taken aback. She couldn’t find anything no matter which corner she shined her light to. “Esom-ah” said the voice to calm her.

“Why is it that you know my name?” She asked.

“We are home, believe me, we are home” it said.

“No, it’s cold and dark here. This can’t be home” as she looked through the window. She is sure now that she’s not home.

“내 딸 (my daughter)”

“I want to g- Daughter?” what does it mean by daughter, this is her first time ever knowing the voice ever exist. She looks back into the dark room if he was there this time. Does it even exist?

“Mm, our beautiful daughter”

“Daughter? Daughter who?”

우리딸. 내 못된 딸, 내 서투른 딸,  아빠의 통통한 딸
(My naughty little girl, my clumsy girl, daddy’s chubby girl)

“Ap……pa?” does this voice seriously wants me to call him dad?

“네,아빠이야. You’re home. We’re by the sea that you love”

“A house is warm, where there are people. But this home can’t be mines.”

“As long as you are with dad, then its home”

“No, my home is with everyone together. With youngbae and mom included” Esom begins to walk towards the door she entered back to the stairway. She doesn’t need to be here either, it’s not safe.

“Esom don’t leave”

“Esom!”

“Esom! Don’t open the door” but that’s where she needs to go to get out of here. When she opens there is a male figure blocking her way. It reck of rotten eggs and cheese, the flesh is drooping from the body figure, Esom catches a look into its eye as it screams “Esom, save me!”. A loud ringing pans loudly in her ears. She felt a sting of a needle pin piercing through her ear drums. It hurt her so much a white light flash in her eyes.

“ESOM, wake up!” a voice coming from a familiar female voice. She’s being shook hard, and esom opens her eyes and struggles to grasp for air. She reached out to hold onto something and she clasp onto an arm of a light skinned woman who is above her. The woman looked terrified. She is saying something to her, but Esom can’t hear a sound. Esom is frightened. It took her 5 seconds to finally perceive properly what was going on. She’s in her bedroom, and the lady above her is a roommate, and she can finally hear, “ESOM, can you hear me?! You had a nightmare!”