We're Practically Family

Please Don't Kiss Her

The bustling school seemed to be going in slow motion for the two teens sitting side by side, not looking towards each other, both embarrassed for lacking something that could help the other. Ryuji couldn’t muster up enough courage to cross the boundaries Amaya had set and she didn’t have the bravery to show him just how much she actually wanted him to. It was obvious that their blood pumped in their veins for each other but neither of them wanted to put themselves out there. At this rate there were only two possibilities: either they mutually understood how much they loved each other or they let themselves drift apart.

                Suddenly Ryuji see’s the long black hair he admired so much spring up and walked out of the class. It hurt him to see how she didn’t even look back and his eyes fell to his feet. In reality the girl was not stronger but weaker than him. Amaya ran to the bathroom and locked herself in a stall as she swallowed her tears back while shivering. This was too much, for the both of them.

                The last bell rang and Ryuji finally looked over to Amaya. Like a magnet her eyes were pulled to his gaze and he noticed the redness under them. His breathing seemed to stop for a second at the sight and as his feet moved towards her Amaya ran away, dragging her bag behind her. Hoshiko popped up at the door just as Amaya was leaving and the girl fell back and landed hard on the floor.

                “Amaya?” Hoshiko said in a surprised tone as she looked down to the girl whose eyes were flooding. Amaya looks up to the pretty girl then back to the boy she loved and shook her head as if giving him up completely. She pushed herself up again and continued running out.

                The cool afternoon wind blew against the girl’s hot face. She felt her chest tightening with each breath and didn’t care about her loud sobs as she let her feet take her far away from the two people causing her pain. She could hear Ryuji’s distant voice but she wouldn’t stay another second in front of him with the way he was making her feel, the way he was making her act. She kept running but soon she just stopped. She gave up. She gave up on Ryuji, she gave up on running away, and she just gave up. Her tired legs gave in and she sat on the steps of a narrow street.

                “Amaya.” Ryuji’s breathy voice called out to the girl who didn’t bother looking up from her hands soaked with tears. Without needing an answer he walked towards her and suddenly both their warm bodies were touching. His chest was pressed to her back as she hiccupped and whimpered.

                “Why?” This seemed to be the only word she could manage. It was said in a way that seemed like there was so much behind it but that wouldn’t come out. The boy listened to her cry as he held her tightly and lovingly.

                “Ryuji, why? Why would you come after me? I get it already. You don’t need to comfort me.”

                Brusquely Ryuji shifted and squatted in front of the girl. He took Amaya face in his hands and wiped her tears with both his thumbs. The girl’s eyes were shut and she kept putting her hands on Ryuji’s wrists to pull him away from her. He wouldn’t give in though. This time he knew she really couldn’t decide to push him away.

                “I don’t need it. It’s okay.” She wined as she tightened her grip on his wrists and tried with all her might to escape the boys grasp.

                “No! Amaya, you don’t get it; I need you!” Ryuji suddenly snapped as he pushed the girl’s hands down and stared intensely into her eyes. His actions were executed with such passion that she was silenced immediately.

                “I know that you like to put up that face. That strong face that doesn’t worry about being alone but I also know that that’s not your real face. Your face is sweet and gentle and yeah, sure you’re afraid of being forgotten, you’re afraid that maybe you don’t deserve anyone’s attention because later on you’ll just bring them harm. But listen to me and I mean really listen; I’m not leaving you.” The girl’s tears began streaming down her face blurring her vision but she saw enough of the tender expression on Ryuji’s face to know her meant every word.

                “Because none of those…those…” He sighed deeply before continuing. “…horrible things are true. They just aren’t. You’re not bad luck. Things happen in life and blaming yourself is not going to take the tragedy away. So stop saying that I shouldn’t be around you, because…because that hurts me.” He stared at her face until the last words when his firm hold on her hands softened and his eyes looked down.

                “Ryuji…” She was going to say something. Probably something that sounded strong, even in a situation where she was a crying mess she still wanted to be seen as strong. However, she didn’t. She stopped herself and put all that pride aside for a split second as she gripped onto the boy’s hands and dodged her face to be leveled to his. His eyes opened surprised as he suddenly felt her warm cheek skim over his nose and he looked up. As soon as he did she crashed her lips onto his. He didn’t hesitate and reattributed by lightly sliding his tongue on her lower lips, still salty with tears. She pulled back at the touch and he watched her every move. With glimmering eyes she stared at the boy in front of her.

                “Ryuji…I want to be more than friends.” She murmured with burning red cheeks.

                “We’re like family, Amaya.” He bit down onto his scorching lips after the words were said and the girls head hung as she dug her fingers onto the fabric of her skirt for relief.

                “I understand.” The girl barely squeaked in reply.

                “No, you don’t.” He pulled her in with a hand on her back. “Not like siblings. Like a couple.”

                With that she smiled so wide she felt embarrassed. He smiled back at her and softly placed his lips onto hers again.

                “I’ll protect  you no matter what, Amaya. Just promise me that one day I’ll see you as my bride.” He giggles as he pulls back and the girl just smiles wide while hiding her face into the nook of his neck.


Okay so that's it my lovelies. Sorry about the shortness of this last chapter it's just that I seriously have been lengthening this whole thing and let's be honest we can't just have the angst eating away at us till the very last minute (...does explicitly that).

Anyway, thanks for reading and let's hope the headcanons kami-sama gifts me with new ideas soon.