Hired

Consequence

A/N: Sorry guys... I had no idea I'd be busy for so long. I had this chapter backed up to update, but after posting this it will be a while before I can update again ;u; apologies 3

 

"Oppa!" I shriek, jumping on Rabbit as soon as he enters the door. "Oppa, guess what?"

He fumbles with his bags. "What?"

"Cool Kiz on the Block is recruiting for Taekwondo Returns!" I tell him gleefully, bouncing around on the couch.

"Is that step one of your plan?" he asks drily.

I frown at him. "Are you going to ask me that every time I do something? It's not part of my plan. I don't even have a plan yet. This is just because I've always wanted to be on one of these programs, you know that."

He sighs. "Ah. One of your athletic variety shows."

I nod excitedly. "It's in a couple of days. Let's go together," I suggest.

"Let's not. Are you going as Minhee or Minho?" he asks warily.

"Um… Probably Minho? He's the martial artist after all." I wrinkle my nose. "I don't know what I'm going to do with Minhee yet."

"Araso. There are going to be cameras on you a lot, so remember to keep in role at all times," he cautions. "I still don't like this," he mutters. "We've tried for years to keep you out of sight, and now you're just going to go out on TV."

"Don't worry, oppa. What could go wrong?"

 

I wake up early the next morning to work out and shower. It's nice being in a home with lots of natural light, but it's a little strange. I'm still used to being in the base back in Hong Kong, with few windows and much artificial lighting.

Rabbit stayed up until the early hours, doing something in the tech room, so he's still asleep when I receive a text around noon.

 

From: Bobby

 

Do you want to come out for lunch, hyung? We'll show you, Minhyuk hyung and Minhee around. WINNER hyung-deul are coming too.

 

To: Bobby

From: Shin Minho

 

Sure. I'm free, but Hyukie and Minhee have plans for today. It's fine if my pretty dongseng doesn't come, right? I heard you kids liked her cooking yesterday ㅋㅋ

 

From: Bobby

 

ㅠㅠ Ah, hyung… Of course it's fine if you come by yourself.

 

From: Shin Minho

 

Araso~

 

Laughing, I head out, sending Rabbit a text that reads only, "Making friends. Keeping my earpiece off for now, don't want you hearing all my secrets ;) Will activate if anything happens. Be back soon~"

 

Lunch is an amusing affair. After the new introductions to WINNER, we all chow down on the meat they ordered. I end up barbequing most of it for them, feeling exactly the way I do when I cook for Zodiac.

The guys are all intensely interested in my martial arts prowess, and even more interested in my "sister." It's a testament to my ability to change faces, I guess, but the reactions are kind of insulting every time I succeed. Isn't there someone who can recognize me no matter what face I wear? Besides Zodiac, I mean. I look forward to meeting that person, even though I don't know what that might entail.

The iKON and WINNER boys tell me about some opportunities they've already heard of, some even for Minhee.

"Do you dance, hyung?" Bobby asks.

"I can," I say. "But I'd rather leave the dancing to Minhee."

Mino suggests, "I can introduce you to some JYP artists, if you want Minhee to consider auditioning there."

Jackson. "Sure, that'd be cool," I make myself say casually.

"Jackson's actually free right now, I'll tell him to come over and have lunch," he continues, as if reading my thoughts. "If you don't mind…"

"Of course not," I reassure him. "I'll even treat you guys as thanks for helping us settle in here."

Seungyoon speaks up. "That's fine, hyung, the bill's going to be really expensive. We invited you, anyway, I'll treat."

"You look like you usually treat," I laugh. "It's really OK."

 

The iKON boys leave to practice before Jackson comes a few minutes later, slightly sweaty. Seeing him makes me nervous, but just for a moment.

"Annyeonghaseyo," he greets me, bowing. "Wang Jackson-ibnida.

I greet him in turn, smiling warmly, as a hyung should. "Shin Minho-ibnida. You met my little sister and twin yesterday."

He looks shocked as he gets a proper look at me. Maybe he's regretting not exchanging phone numbers. "I- I can see the resemblance," he stutters, but doesn't seem to suspect anything.

"Jackson, you met Minhyuk and Minhee?" Jinwoo asks.

"Eo, yeah," he affirms embarrassedly, after he sits down gingerly next to me. "I was talking to Minhee when Minhyuk-ssi appeared and-" He touches the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Dragged her away?" I finish his sentence helpfully. "Hyukie does get a little overprotective."

"Jackson, since they just moved here, we've been trying to help them find work," Mino explains. "Minho is a martial artist, so he's looking for work along the lines of stunt doubling."

I interject, "Actually, I don't really mind, as long as it's work. I can do pretty much anything, I just don't want to stay at home all day."

Mino nods and continues. "Minhyuk is a technician, and Minhee is considering auditioning to become an actress, singer, or dancer."

"Ah… Well, I know BTS is doing a collab stage for the MBC Gayo Daejun in a few weeks which requires taekwondo training," Jackson offers. "Their leader, Rap Monster, or Namjoon, was with me when we met Minhee-ssi. I'm not sure if they've already hired a coach, though. It's a bit of a long shot, but you can try…"

I nod thoughtfully. "Can you put me in touch with them?"

"Sure, I'll give you Namjoon's number," he agrees. "Though you might have to go directly to their CEO."

"That's fine. Do you think Minhee would be a good fit at JYP?" I ask. "Honestly, I'm worried about her finding a management that suits her. She's very hardheaded and independent." It's not a lie. I am very hardheaded and independent… I'm just not Minhee.

"Kind of like me." Jackson grins. "I can show Minhee around JYP if you want, so she can see if she likes it."

I tilt my head doubtfully. "I don't want to make any complications for you…"

The WINNER boys murmur in agreement, pausing their own conversation to listen in.

"It'll be fine. She can just come to the building and I'll let her in," he reassures you.

I shake my head. "Never mind, actually. I want Minhee to work hard and earn the status herself, instead of me getting it for her through connections."

Just kidding, it's because it would complicate things way too much if I have to juggle Minhee and Minho. Besides, everything I want to do with Minhee can be done with Minho, whereas not everything I can do with Minho can be done with Minhee. Ah… I should have been born a guy. The only difference would be that I wouldn't have to wear this blasted contraption, I think, be my plight.

It's a struggle to admit to myself that Shin Minhee is a desperate attempt for me to play a part that I'm not. I'm subconsciously both backing away from her and drawn towards her at the same time.

 

Jackson has to head off for practice again after eating, as do WINNER. I insist on paying the bill, which they seem grateful for. Alone again, I wince and fidget slightly, trying to loosen the stupid band around my chest without being conspicuous. I decide to call Namjoon now, instead of potentially missing out on the opportunity.

"Yeobosayo?" A cautious voice.

"It's Shin Minho," I answer. "Jackson said I would call."

"Ah, annyeonghaseyo, hyung," he says immediately. "Jackson already told me about you wanting to find a job. You can come over to Big Hit right now if you're free. I'll go talk to our CEO."

"Sure, I'll head over."

 

RapMon lets me in the front door and leads me up to the CEO's office, chatting all the way.

"I met Minhee and Minhyuk hyung just yesterday. It's such a coincidence that I get to meet you. I hear you're brilliant at all sorts of martial arts, and we're all excited to begin working with you," he says admiringly. "Hoseok especially. We've never really incorporated martial arts into our dances, so he's very hyper at the moment."

I jerk to a stop, and then start walking again. "Sorry, thought I saw a fly. Hoseok?"

"Hoseokie hyung. J-Hope is his stage name, but his real name is Jung Hoseok. He's one of the best dancers in our group, and he used to be in an underground dance crew. Won a bunch of competitions."

A choking sensation rises in my throat and I have to wait a moment when RapMon halts in front of office and says, "Bang PD-nim is in there. We'll be waiting for you in the practice room. Hwaiting!"

 

The talk with Bang PD goes well, at least after a few strained minutes when I can't get my brain to function. Jung Hoseok, I keep thinking, as if it's a mantra. There are a lot of Jung's and a lot of Hoseok's, right? There must be a lot of Jung Hoseok's. I realize that the Hoseok I heard yesterday is the Hoseok I'm going to meet today.

"Your résumé is outstanding," Bang Shihyuk notes, going through sheaves of papers about Shin Minho. None of his accomplishments are lies, since it would be too risky to claim abilities I don't have. I still hope, however, that he won't ask to see my certificates, obtained under the name of Qilin from instructors who were acquaintances of my brothers. I have the forged certificates. I just don't like using them. There's always the risk that somebody will ask a little too much.

Martial arts aside, I added languages, which may come to some use… and underground dancing, which isn't a lie either- although my dear Zodiac brothers don't know that. They'd kill me if they found out.

Bang Shihyuk PD hands me a sheaf of papers. "If you need to review the terms of the contract, you can come back in a couple of hours, or tomorrow."

"No need," I say, scanning the papers with trained quickness and impatience. Memories of getting yelled at by Rabbit for misreading and misremembering code hum vaguely in the back of my mind. "It says here that you're open to negotiation of a new contract after consideration of my performance on this contract?"

He nods, slightly taken aback by the speed at which I'm reading. "It also says that the contract can be nullified without notice if you're not performing adequately, and that the totality of the payment will be deposited only after the Gayo Daejun on the 31st."

I nod, flipping through the last few pages. "Noted." Grabbing a pen out of my pocket, I sign 'Shin Minho' on the last page. "Ready to begin work, boss. I've been bored out of my mind since I moved here yesterday," I announce, giving some excuse as to why I'm so eager to start, other than My childhood friend from eight years ago might be in this group you've produced. Not that there's any chance of that.

Bang PD grins and ushers me out. "Good! The practice room is upstairs. When you get close enough, listen for the music and you'll find it," he instructs. I can feel the faint vibrations of the strong bass from upstairs, but I doubt that's what he means. Nodding anyway, I head off.

I find myself frozen in the stairwell a few seconds later, unwilling yet desperate to find the practice room, and inside, Jung Hoseok. Remind me why I signed that contract? There's barely any possibility that it could be him, I tell myself firmly, but another voice whispers, Seokie oppa always loved to dance.

In all honesty, I don't know what I'll do if it's him- if Jung Hoseok of Bangtan Boys is Jung Hoseok, my oppa, my best friend. I don't know if he even remembers me.

What have I gotten myself into?