The Finished Duet

Duet

 

Yoochun had collapsed right after they had left the room for the competition. He was immediately rushed to the hospital again for immediate medical attention but the doctor had shook his head at his condition this time around. His time was almost up.

Junsu had refused to enter the hospital ward at first, wanting to let Yoochun’s parents have their own time with their only son in the room alone as the boy struggled to control the overflowing tears that refused to end outside.

 

Junsu’s phone beeped with an incoming message as he took it out. It was a message from the person-in-charge of the competition they had just returned from. Biting his lips, the boy opened and read the text only to turn and punched the wall in he was originally leaning on bitterly afterwards.

 

It was just a text to thank them for their fervent participation.

 

 

~~~~~

 

         “Stop.” Junsu said as he stopped playing the violin. The music coming to a stop as Yoochun put down his viola bow, staring at him in astonishment as he tried to catch his breath. “It’s enough, we don’t need to play anymore.” The raven hair boy stated as he looked at the other, a bitter smile hanging on his lips as he shook her head. “Enough.”

 

~~~~~

 

         “I could have played on, you know.” Yoochun said weakly with a soft smile on his lips as he watched the other take a seat on the chair next to his hospital ward bed. Yoochun’s parents had excused themselves for a moment and left the room with eyes overflowing with tears.

 

         “As if.” Junsu teased as he looked at the frail Yoochun on the bed, giving him a forced smile. “You could barely play on beat just now, what kind of musician plays his viola off beat?”

 

Chuckling softly, the boy nodded in agreement. “Didn’t I play well though? I did what I could.” A grin broke out on his face when the other nodded at his question.

 

         “You did, exceptionally well Yoochun-ah.” Junsu whispered, his red eyes once more beginning to water as he did so. “You’re the… best viola player I know out there.” He gulped as he held onto the other’s cold hand, keeping a smile pasted on his lips the whole entire time. “These hands… are made for playing the viola. You’re a gifted musician, Chun.” Sniffling, the boy wiped away the stray tears that had trickled down his cheeks before continuing.

 

         “We play well together for a duet.” He swallowed, feeling his throat dry and tighten up. “So stay, play with me. We need to compose and play so many, many more duets together. Stay and play with me.” 

 

Removing his hand gently from Junsu’s hold, he brushed away Junsu’s fringe, exposing the long scar that ran down from the side of his face to his neck. Letting his index finger trace the scar down before placing it on his shoulder, Yoochun let out small smile. Even such a simple action required so much strength from him now.

 

         “I’m sorry, Su.” Yoochun whispered. “There isn’t a day… that passes by that do I ever… not regret pushing you out into the road when we were twelve…”

 

Shaking his head, Junsu opened his mouth to stop the other only to be cut off.

 

         “Will you forgive me?” Yoochun pleaded softly, a tear flowing out from the corner of his eye before it disappeared into the pillow his head was rested on.

 

         “Yoochun.” Junsu choked out at the other’s question before nodding, “I forgave you since long ago.” 

 

Smiling as wide as he could through his tears at Junsu’s answer, Yoochun nodded as he retrieved his hand from the other’s shoulder.

 

         “I’m tired…” He sighed out as he closed his heavy eyelids.

 

Clenching his jaw in agony, Junsu bit his lip as he forced out the next few words with a shaky voice. “T-then sleep. I’ll b-be here, w-when you w-wake up.” Taking the other’s hand in his for assurance, Junsu nodded as he ran his other hand through the boy’s brown locks. Even though the boy had always preferred the Yoochun's old hairstyle, he couldn't help but silently agree that he looked good with his current one as well.

 

He was beautiful even at his dying hour.

 

         “We’ll play more …duets …when I …wake up.” Yoochun whispered in between breaths as he tried to force out the words. Using his last remaining strength in him, he fought to crack open his eyes into slits and eye smiled at her friend before letting them close again. The boy’s hand going limp before it slid out of Junsu’s hands.

 

The silence hanging in the room was all too unsettling but it didn’t stop Junsu from whispering out Yoochun’s name over and over again. 

 

Yoochun didn’t move.

 

It was over.

 

The unfinished duet has come finally to an end.

 

 

~~~~~

 

 

A week after Yoochun’s passing, Junsu received a letter with the words, “To Junsu” written in black ink on the front of a sky blue envelope from Yoochun’s parents. The handwriting was unmistakably Yoochun’s, sky blue was Yoochun’s favourite colour.

 

Junsu opens it up.

 

“Happy Birthday Junsu!

 

I’m sorry if I am unable to present this in person to you, I hope you’re not mad at me for saying goodbye first. Thank you for everything, Junsu-ah. Thank you for agreeing to participate in the competition with me despite your fears of facing people. You’re so brave! 

 

Junsu-ah, during this short period of time you’ve taught me something really precious. And it’s that you can always have a second chance in life, like how you’ve given me a chance to be your friend again. Thank you, Junsu.

 

It’s a pity I can’t spend your sweet sixteenth with you, but I hope the other things you’ll find in this envelope will make it up for my absence. It isn’t anything expensive, I’m afraid, but it’s all I can give.

 

Happy Birthday Su, I’ll be watching over you from above so do me proud and be a great violinist in the future alright?

 

With much love, Yoochun.”

 

The rest of the papers found in the envelope were music scores, composed by Yoochun for Junsu.