SIX

Romance :: Harmony

~| Bound of Friends, a Forgotten Memory |~

 

That night, it would be one performance that I would never forget for my whole life.

 

I remembered that claps and whistles were heard loudly after we finished singing RAY. I remembered seeing satisfied smiles on the members’ face. I remembered when we gathered and gave a bow to the audiences before going off stage.

 

The members were expressing their joy after we were at the backstage. Sayaka was squealing while the other were laughing or chuckling. I saw IU and Seoyul walking with arms on each other shoulders, Minhyuk and Lay were discussing the performance earlier, and Junhyung was smiling in pride. Sayaka then turned herself facing us.

 

“It was an amazing performance,” she said, almost squealing.

 

But I knew she was right; it was an amazing live performance. Each Crescendo House member was a great performer. They really knew how to be creative and made a performance to become interesting. Because of them, I went along and did my best for the performance; I realized that I couldn’t embarrass myself as part of them. As time went by, I really enjoyed myself there.

 

“Yes, it was.” Junhyung replied her then he casted his glance to each and every one of us. “Even though we only have a week for preparing everything, you’ve done a great job today.” He bowed. “Thank you for your hard work.”

 

Replies came from the other members, including me. “And…” I heard Seoyul’s voice. She smiled and turned her gaze to me. “Daniel now has graduated from people’s doubt about his skill. And we’re officially welcoming you as a part of Crescendo House. As one of the senior members of Crescendo House, I want to say that you’ve done a very great job. And if the Orchestra is still not accepting you, you’re always welcomed to our place.”

 

Because of her speech, I was reminded to our original purpose of tonight’s live performance. I almost forgot that I was supposed to show off my ability to the orchestra members. “Ah, I almost forget about that.” I admitted innocently, earning laughs from my friends. “But honestly, it was an amazing performance. I don’t think I will forget it for the rest of my life. And you are truly great musicians. I really respect you all from the bottom of my heart.”

 

Junhyung only placed his hand on my shoulder. But I heard Lay saying, “But you’re also actually a part of that great musicians group, remember?”

 

I only chuckled to hear it and continued. “But seriously, thank you so much for tonight. I know that we’re having this performance because of my problem with the orchestra. Yet, you were all working so hard for tonight. So, again, thank you so much for tonight.” Then I bowed deeply.

 

When I bowed, I received gentle pats from Junhyung as encouragement.

 

“It’s fine,” I heard IU replying me, causing me to straighten my body and looking at her. “We’re actually enjoying the performance. It has been a while ever since our last public performance. So, it’s fun.” She shrugged her shoulders in excitement and looked at the other members while asking, “Right, everyone?”

 

The other members seemed to agree with her.

 

It might sound embarrassing but I really felt touched to see them.

 

Honestly, I always felt worthy when I was with them. At least, they appreciated my ability, accepting my flaws and helped me to develop myself. I guessed those were part of their work ethnics and their principal to grow together in music. It was something that I had never found within the orchestra. In return, they always made me wanting to do the best for them. So I was really thankful to know them.

 

The bound and the friendship that they offered me since the beginning had earned them my loyalty. And seriously, I really wanted to be with them as long as I could. Forever, if it needed.

 

“Now…” I heard Seoyul saying cheerfully, as if she wanted to break the awkwardness. She then raised her hand and asked, “Anyone wants to celebrate our successful stage?”

 

Random answers were heard but all of them agreed going to a restaurant nearby to celebrate but after cleaning up.

 

Well, we still needed to store our music instruments and brought them back to the Base. I also needed to bring my violins back. Besides, Seoyul needed to do something with the Radio staffs before she could go. So we parted afterward.

 

I came with the other members for cleaning up. Because Lay’s cars wouldn’t be fit for all our equipments and everyone, I volunteered myself to help them bringing back their equipments. I came to my car to put my violins, my personal equipments and some of Crescendo House’s equipments there with Minhyuk helping me.

 

“Will Junhyung and Seoyul really treat us?” I asked him the question when we were putting the things in my car.

 

Minhyuk only smiled. “Junhyung might not look like one but he’s the one who has the biggest income amongst us. He’s actually having a job as a song writer and composer.”

 

I stopped and looked at him. “Really?”

 

“Do you know a composer with the name, JOKER?”

 

I thought for a while. That name rang the bell although I didn’t actually remember where I had ever heard it. So I nodded. “I think I have heard it somewhere.”

 

“JOKER is actually Junhyung’s pen name for working solo.”

 

Unbelievable, I scoffed in disbelieve. “And Seoyul?”

 

“She has incomes from the radio show.”

 

It surprised me. Although I had thought if Junhyung would become a composer in the future, I had never thought that he was ACTUALLY doing the job right now. I also didn’t think that Seoyul was actually got paid for her appearances on the School’s radio station; I had always thought that every radio DJ on the school’s radio was volunteering their selves without any payment for their appearances.

 

I closed the car trunk’s door. As I turned, my steps stopped with the sight of two familiar people from School’s Orchestra. They were the Cellist and the pianist that would be collaborated with me on the Last Carnival’s performance. I was thinking on why they were there when a pat brought me to realize that I wasn’t alone. I turned my gaze to Minhyuk and he seemed to understand.

 

“Just come to Lay’s car later, okay. We’ll be waiting there.”

 

I only nodded and Minhyuk went away while the two were approaching.

 

“Hi, Daniel,” the cellist greeted me in slightly awkward manner. I nodded to reply her. As I could remember, her name was Karasawa Ayako. The girl who was shyly standing behind her was the pianist; her name was Seohyun. She was also the first grade student like me but quietly talented; although she wasn’t as good as Sayaka.

 

“I just want to say that it was a great performance and I really enjoyed it. You are truly good violinist and your duet with Sayaka on Last Carnival was really great,” Ayako said. I could only say, “Thanks,” as I dropped my gaze.

 

There was a moment of pause before she spoke again. “Look, Daniel.” She heaved. “About what has happened before, I’m really sorry. I and Seohyun have never meant to ignore you. But…” Her voice faded but I understood what she wanted to say.

 

“It’s fine. I understand.”

 

“He also told us that you’ll be the next concertmaster and some of the senior members couldn’t accept it. So everything happened just like that.” She dropped her gaze. “And—“

 

“Seriously, Karasawa, it’s fine.” I abruptly interrupted her. Seriously, I really wanted her to get over it. “I don’t need you or anyone else in the Orchestra to apologize for what Saito has done to me. There’s no hurt feeling. Just forget about it and let it pass.”

 

Ayako only nodded. “So…” She spoke again. “There’ll be a practice session for our Last Carnival performance at 2PM tomorrow. I hope you can attend it.”

 

“Sure,” I replied. “I’ll be coming.”

 

“And the orchestra practice will be starting at 4. Taylor wants to review all the songs for the performance so she expects every member to come,” she added.

 

“Okay.” I nodded. “Thank you for telling me. You can tell Taylor that I’ll be coming.” I then added. “And I won’t be late.”

 

Ayako smiled. “Good. So see you tomorrow.”

 

Then both of the girls were walked away and I only saw them leaving.

 

“It has really reached them, you know?”

 

I heard Seoyul’s voice behind me so I turned. I saw her approaching me with her arms folded on her chest; a folder was on her right hand. Her gaze was fixed toward the girls. A smile was plastered on her face and she looked satisfy. But I didn’t understand what she was talking about.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

She looked back at me because of my question. “Your performance tonight has made them realizing that you’re actually a crucial part of the Orchestra. Perhaps they also realized that losing you can give them a big loose. That’s why they’re asking you to come back. But I’m sure that everything will be better for you within the Orchestra.” She unfolded her arms. “So is it good to be back again?”

 

I shrugged as I pocketed my hands. “I don’t know.” I heaved. “I guess it’ll be a little awkward to come back after what they have done. But I feel relief that I can be back to the Orchestra.”

 

Seoyul only smiled.

 

“Have you done with your job?” I asked.

 

“Ah, no yet.” She raised her hand and showed me the folder. “I just need to drop this at the Radio Station first before I can leave.”

 

“Do you want me to wait for you?”

 

She quickly shook her head. “No, just go and wait me with the others. I’ll be there soon.” I only nodded and she turned to walk away.

 

But somehow, I wanted to say something to her. “Seoyul.” I grabbed her arm and made her turning back at me. “I haven’t thanked you for giving me the chance to perform.”

 

A gentle smile bloomed at her face. “It has become my job to give you stage to perform.”

 

I released her arm and let her go afterward. But those words had made me feeling thankful for having a leader like her. Forever, she had become the person that I would look up to. Perhaps, when I got the chance to lead the orchestra someday, I wanted to be like her or Junhyung; a kind and wise leader who always wanted to help members’ progression. And to show my gratitude, I determined to show her the best for the Orchestra performance at the end of the Cultural Week Festival.

 

So starting from the next day, I concentrated myself for the Orchestra Performance. Since I missed almost every Orchestra practice during my preparation for Crescendo House’s stage, I tried to catch up with everything that I had left behind.

 

And the orchestra members treated me like they used to be, back to when they hadn’t ostracized me. They acted as if there were nothing bad had happened between us. Although, I had to admit that something couldn’t be changed after the incident; I had lost some respect for the Orchestra members. My respect for Taylor was something that kept me sticking around with the Orchestra and I didn’t know what I would do if she had left.

 

It also made me thinking if I got offered as the concertmaster. Would I accept it? Or would I not?

 

But I left it for later. As long as Taylor was still in the Orchestra, I would try my hard to stay around; perhaps, while thinking of whether I would need to resign from the orchestra or not.

 

Now… let me skipped to the day of Orchestra Performance.

 

Don’t get me wrong; the performance was a success. The performance of Last Carnival even received a standing ovation although I made a little improvisation with the song. It made me kinda proud of myself, considering the trouble that I had been gone through days before. But the thing that surprised me the most was happening afterward.

 

There was a small party after the performance that was attended by music journalists, reputable people, respectable musicians, music critiques, and the higher management level of the school. The orchestra members were also there, as well as some reputable students. Usually, event like this would become an event for us to get comments for our performances, or a chance to get overseas scholarship, or even an offer to join professional orchestra.

 

As for me, I got some interviews with some media, some cards from several orchestra representatives along with offers to join their orchestra, and praises from many music critiques. A reputable violinist that Taylor had introduced me even asked me to come by to see his workshop sometimes; I was actually thinking if he was actually wanted to collaborate with me so I told him that I would visit him sometimes later.

 

Then, when I got myself a drink, the corner of my eyes caught a presence of a familiar figure. I quickly turned my gaze at the figure to make sure that I wasn’t mistaken. And my heart was immediately stopped as I recognized the girl.

 

There was a figure of a lean girl with white strapless mermaid dress, talking with two men that I recognized as a reputable businessman and the Minister of Education. Her hair was flown loose to her back with glittering hairpin to lock her hair on both of her temples. Her scarf that originally slung over her body, covering her bare shoulders, had fallen to her elbows and hung there. A golden small handbag was on her hand. She was breathtakingly beautiful, very lady-like, and gleaming with everything that she wore. And on top of it all, she was Ahn Seoyul.

 

It seemed that she had seen me too because she turned at me and waved at me with her regular smile. She turned back at the businessman beside her and talked with him some more before she withdrew herself from them. She then approached me.

 

“Ah, thank God I’ve found you.” She seemed to be relieved as she linked her arm on mine and turned me around before dragging me away. “I thought I won’t be away from that boring conversation.”

 

I just blinked, confuse and speechless. Seriously, I was dumbfounded. The girl who stood beside me was definitely Seoyul; she even sounded like Seoyul. But this girl was very lady-like. Everything from her was screaming elegant and glamour. I couldn’t believe if she was her.

 

“Seoyul?” That was the only word that I could say when I found my voice back.

 

She gave me her wide smile. “What? Do you surprise with my appearance?” And I just nodded. She only chuckled with her hand covering . Geez, it felt weird to see her acting lady-like. “Well, I have no choice since we have to attend this party in formal attire.”

 

She was right. But I still couldn’t use with her lady-like appearance like this. She looked like a princess, a lady. “But what are you doing here?”

 

She opened , ready to reply but nothing came out from her. She seemed to be thinking. “I… uhm… I’m accompanying someone here.”

 

Through her voice, I could tell that she was hiding something. Yet, I didn’t want to ask her what it was. Perhaps, I should have asked. But I sensed reluctance on her voice. So I thought it would be better if I restrained myself from asking.

 

“Ah, right.” She then stopped and turned facing me as she unlinked her arm. “I haven’t told you that you’ve done a great job for the orchestra. It was a great improvisation that you did for Last Carnival. And I really enjoy Tchaikovsky’s the Sleeping Beauty Waltz. It was beautiful.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“And you look great in suits,” she added with her bright smile.

 

I scoffed amusingly to hear her words. “So now, you’ve realized about it,” I said jokingly.

 

But then she only clicked her tongue and pouted jokingly. “Don’t get full of yourself,” she said then chuckled along with me because of our jokes. “So… how’s the orchestra members? Are they still giving you troubles?”

 

I shook my head. “No. Aside of Daisuke who still act cold toward me, everyone seems to treat me well enough.”

 

A smile came to her face and she patted my arm. “I’ve told you that everything will be better, right?”

 

I admitted that she was right; her words that night were right. Everything became better for me in the Orchestra although I still couldn’t decide whether I would be staying there or not. I couldn’t tell Seoyul about my thought of leaving the orchestra. Perhaps she would convince me to stay, or perhaps not; I couldn’t guess. But I just felt that I would need to leave Seoyul out of it.

 

I raised my gaze at her; she was looking elsewhere. And I remembered that I hadn’t commented about her appearance tonight. “By the way, Seoyul.” I called her.

 

She turned her gaze back at me with an ‘Hmm?’ and a curious look.

 

“You…” But the thought of saying the word made my heart beating faster. Somehow I found myself unable to say it without having reddish blush on my face. I knew that I was blushing because I felt my ears getting hotter. And the room is getting warmer as well.

 

“Me what?”

 

I looked at her again and took a deep breath to calm myself. I really needed to control myself and act cool. It would be very embarrassing if I praised a girl with a blushing face.

 

But finally, I decided to say it, “You look…” I paused to gulp, in which I found it hard to do in a moment like this. “You look beautiful tonight.”

 

A sincere and sweet smile bloomed on her face. “Well, thank you for your praise.” Then her expression turned into a teasing one and she leaned a little closer to me. “But it’s really embarrassing to tell a girl that she looks beautiful, isn’t it?”

 

Dang. Why did she has to guess it right?

 

But I must admit it. “Yeah, it is,” I said as I scoffed in amusement. And she only chuckled in return.

 

“Ahn Seoyul?”

 

The call made her turning her gaze and I noticed that her bright smile and her cheerful expression disappeared instantly. I turned my gaze, following her, and I saw an older woman. She was wearing a black dress and still looked beautiful despite of her age that must be a lot older than us, perhaps old enough to be my mother or Seoyul’s. But my feeling told me that she was definitely not Seoyul’s mother.

 

The woman smiled in relief as she knew that she was right. “So you are really Ahn Seoyul,” she said as she approached us. “I’ve been watching you for a while since the party started.”

 

I heard a smile breaking from Seoyul and I took a glance at her. She seemed to recognize the woman. “Hello, Mrs. Cho,” she greeted her politely.

 

“It’s been a while, isn’t it?” the woman that Seoyul called as Mrs. Cho said. “When was the last time we met?”

 

“Aaa…” Seoyul seemed to think. “I think it was on my junior grade in High School.”

 

Mrs. Cho smiled. “Ah… so it has been that long.” She heaved silently. “So how are you now?”

 

“I’m fine.” Seoyul smiled, yet I could tell that it was just a forced smile. Her eyes didn’t smile along with her lips. “And the Crescendo House is fine as well.”

 

Mrs. Cho was nodding. “I can see it. I’ve watched every video that you released on your channel. They are very wonderful, Dear. You’ve done a very great job.” She turned her gaze at me. “You must be the new member of Crescendo House, right?”

 

“Yes. My name is Daniel Jang.”

 

“Yes, I know.” She then offered her hand to be shaken, in which I did despite of my confusion about how well Mrs. Cho knew about Crescendo House. “It was a great performance of you earlier. I really enjoy your version of Last Carnival. I’m sure that you will be a great musician someday.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Mrs. Cho then turned back to Seoyul. “I’ve seen that you have established the group very well.” She raised her hand and placed it on Seoyul’s hand. “I’m sure that Johnny will be very proud to see it.”

 

The mention of the name seemed to sweep away every hint of happiness from her. Yet, Seoyul still tried to force her smile out. “I think he would.”

 

Wait. Past form?

 

Mrs. Cho smiled again. But then, a man came and told her that her car was ready. She nodded and turned back to Seoyul. “Well, it’s nice to see you again. And I hope this won’t be the last. Perhaps you can come to our house like you used to be. We can talk again.”

 

Seoyul nodded but I noticed her hidden awkwardness. Perhaps, she didn’t want to disappoint the woman. “I-I will.”

 

The woman smiled again and caressed Seoyul’s cheek, just like a mother to her long lost child. It made me wondering about the bound that they once shared. “See you again, Dear,” she said then withdrew her hand. She turned at me and bowed; I replied her with another bow. She then left.

 

I watched over Mrs. Cho for a moment then turned back to Seoyul. She was still looking at the woman. But I noticed her shaking hand and her trembling shoulders. And her gaze seemed to wonder. It made me wondering what was wrong with her. I raised my hand and gave her a slight pat on her shoulder.

 

Even though it was just a gentle pat, her reaction was something that I didn’t expect. She flinched and gasped in surprise before turning to me. When she realized that it was just me, her expression became relax. She turned her gaze elsewhere and heaved in relief.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

She nodded, forcing a smile out.

 

“Who is she?”

 

Then, feign innocent look came to her face and she quickly avoided her gaze from mine. “Just a mother of an old friend.”

 

Somehow, I could tell if she was hiding something. Mrs. Cho was definitely a mother of her old friend; it was the truth that she told me. But she didn’t want to tell me more about this old friend of her, whom I had known that the name was Johnny.

 

“Look, Daniel.” She raised her gaze back at me. “I think I need to go now. See you at school, okay.”

 

“Okay,” I nodded.

 

She then turned and walked away. I noticed that she seemed to be in hurry, as if she wanted to run from something. I could only heave.

 

Honestly, I was pissed. Somehow it was to realize that I had known so few about her. I couldn’t do anything for Seoyul or to comfort her earlier. I could guess that the meeting with Mrs. Cho had brought out some unwanted memories of her. I could tell that Mrs. Cho and Seoyul were close once. But at a certain point, their bound severed. So I was curious who Mrs. Cho was and how Seoyul could know her.

 

And on top of it all, there was one big question that hung around in my mind.

 

Who is Johnny?

 

Because the mention of the name seemed to bring a big impact for Seoyul.

 

Author(s) Note:

I'm giving up. Originally, I want to update when I already got the poster. But I couldn't manage to get a good poster for it. So this is the next update. Thank you for reading this story and I really hope you enjoy it until the very last. I'm very sorry for any grammar mistakes.
Any suggestion and questions are very welcomed. Feel free to ask me from the comment box or via my Twitter @AFFalize_sakura ! :3