Winter wonderland

ROOMMATE afterhours

A/N (Author's note): Thank you so much for all the support! Seriously, the way you guys responded to my fanfiction is amazing! I was so happy that many of you liked it, and even cared to comment! It really made my day and made me want to update quickly. So here it is, chapter 2~! By the way, for now, the story will mostly be from Young Ji's point of view, and later, when we get to see some of Jackson's real feelings, I'll explore his point of view as well! Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy this chapter as well!~

line.jpg

As the sun rises in the Roommate house, a new day began.  It was a beautiful winter morning. The brightness from the yard, however, didn’t come from the warm rays of sunlight, but the white thick layer of snow, covering the entire city of Seoul. Winter finally came. A beautiful end to a beautiful year.

Cucumber has been scratching the door non-stop all morning. Maybe that was the sound that woke Young Ji up.
“Cucumber, what are-“ Young Ji came slowly down the stairs rubbing her eyes, when she finally found strength to open them. Her eyes widened as she squealed: “KYAAA!!!” Every last bit of sleepiness went away in a second, as she saw the beautiful scenery through the glass standing in the warm living room. Cucumber started barking and running around, but Young Ji didn’t care, as she ran to open the door, and even faster than the dog, ran right into the pile of snow in front of her.
“Snow!” she yelled out with a smile, as Cucumber happily ran to her side and started sniffing her. Just then, a white snowflake landed right on the dog’s nose making it sneeze. Young Ji laughed, wiped the flake away, and lifted Cucumber up to place her on her stomach.
“I love snow.” She sighed. “ Do you like snow?” she asked her beloved pet, who just started at Young Ji confused. She hugged Cucumber as she yelled out once again “ We’re gonna have so much fun!”

line.jpg

 

And what is a snowy day without a snowball fight? This was a fabulous opportunity to satisfy the child hidden deep inside Young Ji’s soul, an opportunity she just couldn’t miss. While Cucumber ran around, she started making the first snowball. It had to be big and round, Young Ji thought. It has to be perfect. But her first attempt was a fail, and no matter how much she concentrated, the thing just kept falling apart. She threw the snowball away in frustration, immediately collecting the necessary amount of snow for her second try.
“Young Ji!” she yelled, trying to gain some confidence “You can’t fail this time!” She was really good at things like this. In fact, she was the best at games. Even as a child, being the younger sibling, she’d always beat her older sister, much to her dissatisfaction.  She smiled as she remembered the wintertime fun she used to have with her family, realizing it was so long ago. Before she debuted, before she even formed her dreams to be a singer. Since then, she didn’t have the time or opportunity to  play around. And yeah, that’s probably why she forgot the craft of snowballs.

“Nice!” she looked at the ball in her palm, carefully examining it. It wasn’t perfect, but acceptable. Now she only had to wait for someone to come out, and be the first victim of the snowball war. Covering her trails, she hid behind the tree, giggling silently, already thinking about the reaction of an unsuspecting roommate.

 

line.jpg

The clock already hit 10, which meant it was time for some of the roommates to wake up. And yes, she could finally hear footsteps in the living room. Young Ji sighed to calm her excitement, and regain focus. Click. The sound of the doorknob turning.

3

2

1.
She ran out from behind a tree, threw her arm back, gripping the snowball, the perfect position for a nice swing. And then, her eyes widened, and she was barely able to stop her hand.
“Good morning.” said Jong Ok, surprised as her eyes met Young Ji’s.
She quickly pulled herself together and bowed to her senior, embarrassed and red in the cheeks.
“Good morning.” She stuttered nervously. Jong Ok laughed out loud.
“ It’s okay Young Ji, don’t be shy. I bet the other kids will come out to play soon.”
“A-ah, yeah!”
she smiled, once again bowing.
“ It’s nice, isn’t it? And there’s so much snow, the night must have been cold!” Jong Ok observed, nostalgia filling her heart as she looked into the distance. Young Ji nodded. “Ah, when I remember all the fun I used the have during winter time. But even now, I enjoy it just as much. Do you want some hot chocolate?” She turned to Young Ji.
“ Yes please!” Young Ji answered excitingly.
“ Okay, I’ll make us some, and we can drink it out here." Young Ji happily nodded, as Jong Ok threw once last smile in her direction, re-entering the house.

Young Ji exhaled in relief. “That was close!”  Her snowball was spoilt. But she still wasn’t ready to give up on her idea. She got back to working on a new one.

 

line.jpg

BANG!
 Young Ji started laughing uncontrollably, clapping her hands together, as Jackson looked at her in shock. The snowball hit him right in the back of the head, knocking his hat down. After recovering from the shock, he started running in her direction. Young Ji jumped up and tried to escape, still unable to stop laughing.
“SUCCESS!” she thought in her mind. As Jackson started catching up to her, she turned around to evaluate the situation. The moment of carelessness led to her tripping and falling down in the snow. Again, curse words filled her mind as the sudden feeling of fear made her body shiver.
“Gotcha!” said Jackson jumping next to her. “HEY!” he yelled. “You wanna die?” Young Ji once again started laughing at Jackson’s overly serious expression, which made him even more frustrated. Young Ji secretly thought how cute he was when he gets irritated for no reason, and his face at times like this was priceless. He rolled her around in the snow, pushing her body deeper into the pile.
“S-stop!” she managed to say in between the laughs. Jackson fell on his back and looked at the sky, panting from the running. 
“Ayyy. You’re so silly.”

line.jpg

 

Young Ji smiled as she looked at her best friend. She let her head fall back into the snow, and tried to figure out what Jackson was looking at. They lay down in silence, feeling calm, safe and carefree.  They were both somehow grateful, to have this opportunity to just lay here and have fun, to be able to be the children that they truly are. To enjoy a moment like this was the best gift these kids could get. She thought how she’s also grateful to share an experience like this with someone like Jackson. Getting a new friend in the show was something Young Ji never thought would happen, but here she is, feeling safe and happy to be around him. He understood her, and she understood him, and it felt… so comfortable. There’s no one else she could feel like this with. The loneliness she felt all this time, entering an already famous girl group who were already friends went away as she felt like an important part of a big and happy family. Being an irreplaceable part of something like this, it made Young Ji feel like everything she’s been through was worth it. Like she's special. She was so happy, to try out new things, to share her honest thought with someone, not having to hold back. And she wanted to do so much more, things she couldn’t and missed doing, she wanted to make new memories she’d remember for a lifetime.

“ Are you cold?” Jackson turned his head around to face her. She was so immersed in her own thoughts she didn’t notice that she was shivering. His much bigger, warm hand carefully touched her cold, small one. Young Ji blushed.
“N-no..?” she whispered looking away.
“ Ayy what a liar!” Jackson sat up, took off his gloves, took Young Ji’s hand and put them onto hers. ”There. Better?” he smiled. She nodded.
“Thank you.” She said slowly, a big smile appearing on her face. “What were you thinking about?” She asked, playing with the gloves that were a bit too big for her small hands.
“Nothing. Just how grateful I am. “ he answered with a smile, looking into the distance.
“Yeah. Me too.” She said quietly.
“ Young Ji…” Jackson’s expression turned serious, as he once again grabbed her hands, and looked her deep in the eyes.
“ Y-yes?” she replied nervously.
“… Let’s surprise someone else too!” he said excitedly.  Young Ji smiled.
“ Okay! Let’s do it!” she jumped up, ready for another round of snowball fights.
“ Let’s go!!”

line.jpg

 

They sat in the snow, in the middle of making snowballs, putting each person’s creation into a pile. Jackson had around 6 snowballs, while Young Ji was making her 4th.
“ Hey, that’s not how you do it!” Jackson said, looking at Young Ji’s snowball.
“ What’s wrong with it?” Young Ji asked irritated.
“ It’s quicker this way.”
“ Yes but it turns out ugly!”
“ Who cares, you’re gonna throw them anyway.”
He whispered. Young Ji pouted.
“ Still it’s-“
“ SHHH!”
Jackson put his index finger on Young Ji’s mouth, as she blushed.
“ Wh-what a-“
“ Someone’s coming!”
he whispered. Adrenaline rushed through Young Ji’s body, as both of them giggled. He got up, took her hand and led her by the shoulders behind a tree. They were quietly and nervously jumping up and down, a snowball ready in their hands. The door opened.
“ATTACK!” Jackson screamed, as they jumped out from behind the tree, and threw the snowball at an unsuspecting Dong Wook.

He turned around, his hair wet and shocked. He looked at the attackers, and yelled:
“YAAAH! KIDS! YOU’RE DEAD!” He immediately got onto his knees and started forming his first snowball, while shouting. “ SE HO! KANG JOON! GET OUT, NOW! THIS IS WAR!”
Young Ji and Jackson laughed.
“QUICK!” Jackson poked Young Ji’s shoulder, and she nodded, silently agreeing to run back to their pile and get more ammunition ready.

line.jpg

 

The other sleepy roommates gathered to see what’s going on, and Se Ho and Kang Joon ran out the door and started bickering with Dong Wook, trying to make as much snowballs in the quickest time possible.

Jong Ok looked through the window, smiling, holding two hot chocolates in her hands. She thought how she’ll need to make much more, to make the kids feel warm after they’re finished playing the game, and they come back in the house shivering and wet.

Yes, it was a beautiful winter morning.