Mark at X-Mas - MarkJin

Mark at Christmas

A second one-shot about X-Mas. Will it be a good one for MarkJin?

I hope you like it!

 


Mark at Christmas - MarkJin

http://38.media.tumblr.com/83f9ab2287fd90479ed7b2dc699bccb0/tumblr_n9a23laR5L1tcznp6o2_500.gif

 

What am I even doing here?

Mark stood in front of JinYoung's door on Christmas Eve, with his finger hovering over the doorbell. He was of a mind just to turn around and leave. There wasn't any reason for him to be there: JinYoung had invited Suzy, so why was he there? Did JinYoung really think he needed a wingman that badly.

Why invite her over for dinner if she makes you that nervous?

The worst thing about it was that when JinYoung had invited him initially, Mark had been ecstatic. This was the first time that JinYoung had asked him to come over and "dress nicely", so that meant tonight's dinner wasn't just going to be something like ramyun with egg or some such ordinary meal that they often shared together while hanging out; tonight's dinner would be something special. He was so happy because he'd thought . . . he'd hoped . . . that JinYoung had finally noticed him. That he had finally noticed that Mark's feelings for him were different to that of a friend.

That he had noticed, at long last, that Mark was in love with him.

And that he returned those feelings.

That was what tonight was supposed to be about, Mark had thought. He was so happy to finally have a chance to clearly confess his feelings for JinYoung and, he hoped, have the man he loved, tell him he loved him in return.

But then, when his hopes were at their highest, they were dashed just as quickly. When Mark had told him what time he'd be arriving, JinYoung just said, casually, "oh, then you'll be getting there after Suzy."

Mark was devastated. Suzy? Why had JinYoung invited Suzy? Then it dawned on him: this was not going to be the romantic, confession dinner that he'd imagined with JinYoung. Well, it might be romantic and there might be confessions, but not shared between him and JinYoung. Instead, it would be Suzy who would be hearing how he felt. How much he . . .

I have to stop thinking about this. Am I staying or am I going?

He could beg off with a headache. JinYoung would understand. Then, he could spare himself the hurt of watching JinYoung . . . his JinYoung . . . making a play for someone else.

But Mark had already promised him he'd come for dinner.

And they were friends, no matter how disappointed Mark felt that it would never be more.

He was never one to let a friend down.

So he took a deep breath and rang the bell.

The door swung open almost immediately as if the person standing on the other side had just been waiting for him to make up his mind. He looked up, expecting to see JinYoung looking even handsomer than usual, all decked out to impress Suzy. But, it wasn't JinYoung who he saw standing there.

It was Suzy.

"Mark!" she cried enthusiastically. "Come in!"

She's already comfortable enough to open his door?

Mark slipped out of his shoes and stepped into the flat proper. It was open-plan with the dining area off to the left and the living area straight ahead. The kitchen was just off the dining area.

"JinYoung is in the kitchen," Suzy informed him. "He's just finishing up."

"Oh," Mark answered quietly. Suzy looked so pretty this evening. Even prettier than usual.

JinYoung must be pleased.

"I'll just go in and say 'hello'. Excuse me for a minute?"

"Of course." Suzy smiled before heading towards the living room sofa.

Mark walked into the kitchen. JinYoung was wearing an apron and had a silly chef's hat perched on top of his head.

"Hey," Mark said nonchalantly as he walked in.

"Mark!" JinYoung greeted him. "I was hoping it was you," he smiled.

Who else should it be? The 'guest of honour' is already here. . .

Mark hated making these mean and sarcastic comments in his head—it was really unlike him—but he couldn't seem to help it. There was the man he loved more than anything in the world moving around the kitchen, putting in all this effort to win someone else's heart. It hurt him more than he'd ever been able to imagine it would, watching JinYoung working away with a big smile on his face . . . for the love of someone else. He didn't know how long he could stand being here. He would do his best, but he decided he would leave as soon as it was possible to without seeming too rude.

"How's everything coming along?" Mark asked, in an attempt to make small talk.

"Fine . . . I'm trying out a new recipe." He took a spoon out of the drawer and transferred some of the contents of the pot off of the wooden spoon he was using to stir the . . . well, it looked like soup. He then offered it to Mark. "Have a taste," he said.

Mark stepped closer and JinYoung playfully said, "say 'ah'." Then he spooned some of the soup into Mark's mouth. "Tell me if you think it's missing anything."

It wasn't missing anything. The soup was delicious.

"It's perfect," he said.

"I'm glad it's turning out okay for making it the first time. Are you sure it's okay? You're not just saying that, are you?"

"I'm not just saying that," Mark assured him. "It tastes great."

And you look great . . .

"I'm sure Suzy will like it."

"I'm more concerned that you like it. You have really good taste, so if you're happy, it must be good," JinYoung smiled.

JinYoung turned burners off and down and then walked over to Mark and hugged him. Then he pulled back to look into his eyes and said, "I'm glad you came."

Mark looked into JinYoung's eyes. His face was so close. Their arms were still around each other's waists.

Damn, that JinYoung . . . the way he looks at me would confuse anyone . . . that's why I thought he felt the same about me as I feel about him. The way he looks into my eyes . . . he looks as though . . .

The doorbell rang.

JinYoung slipped away to answer the door.

Someone else is coming . . . ?

Mark could hear voices. He heard a man's voice . . .

He stepped out of the kitchen and could see a young man slipping his shoes off and then bowing politely to Suzy.

"Mark," JinYoung called signalling to Mark to come over. "This is a co-worker of mine and Suzy's, JunHo. JunHo, this is Mark."

"Pleased to meet you, Mark," JunHo said, bowing while offering to shake hands.

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

Dinner was very pleasant indeed.

Every course JinYoung served was even more delicious than the one that preceded it. Conversation flowed easily and even the pauses were comfortable, rather than awkward.

But, most importantly, Mark noticed the glances that passed between Suzy and JunHo. They were the shy, tentative glances endemic to romantic interest. It became clear to him that Suzy had been invited over, not for JinYoung, but for JunHo. JinYoung confided as much as he and Mark cleared the plates and Suzy and JunHo retired to the living room sofa to continue their conversation.

"It went well didn't it?" JinYoung whispered.

"Are you trying to set them up?" Mark asked.

"Not really. They both told me they like each other, so I decided to invite them both for dinner and let nature take it's course. Hey, if this works out, I might start a new career as a matchmaker."

"Some matchmaker," Mark laughed. "Mr Forever Alone."

"I might not be alone much longer. I have my eye on a certain someone."

At those words, Mark no longer felt like joking. He felt a sudden unpleasant twist in his stomach. "You do? . . . Who? . . . "

"It's a secret," JinYoung said slyly. "Can you grab the tea while I get the torte?"

*                                 *                                 *                                 *                                 *

After dessert, JunHo and Suzy left. After first having exchanged numbers.

Now, Mark and JinYoung were sprawled out on the couch. JinYoung, exhausted because of all of the hard work he'd done to make this evening a success and Mark, because of the sheer stress of the ups and downs he'd been experiencing all evening. Just when relief had finally washed over him when he'd discovered that Suzy liked, not JinYoung, but JunHo, he now had something else he had to worry about.

JinYoung was interested in someone else.

He just wanted to go home, crawl into bed and try to forget the fact that this man, the man he dreamt he might be kissing for the first time tonight, was interested in someone else. He felt sick and just wanted to go home.

"I'm going to take off now, JinYoung," Mark said standing up.

"Don't go yet," JinYoung said, reaching out to grab his hand. "It's almost midnight. Can you stay to see Christmas in with me?" he asked.

JinYoung, you're the only present I want for Christmas, but you want someone else. Seeing in Christmas with you when I can't touch you . . . can't kiss you . . .  it's killing me. Can't you see that?

But, Mark knew he couldn't see it because he had become an expert at hiding his feelings for JinYoung over the past several months. There was no way he could know.

"Please stay. Even if it's only for a little while," JinYoung pleaded.

There were lots of things that Mark could do, but saying 'no' to a pleading JinYoung was not one of them. So, he resumed his seat.

JinYoung moved closer to him and leaned his head on Mark's shoulder. "You know when I said that there was someone I was interested in . . . "

"Yes." Unfortunately . . .

"Do you want to know who it is?"

"Do I know them?"

"Yes. Very well."

Mark felt even more puzzled. He knows the person?

"He's a wonderful guy."

JinYoung is interested in guys? So that means that I might have had a chance if only I'd had the courage to . . . ?

Mark was feeling more depressed by the minute.

"I've planned to kiss him for the first time on Christmas. Don't you think that's romantic?"

"Yes, very romantic," Mark said unenthusiastically.

"I just hope he kisses me back. I've been interested in him for a long time. I'm just not sure if he's interested in me."

"If he's not, he's an idiot with absolutely no taste."

"You think so?"

"I know so," Mark said sincerely.

Just then, the clock struck twelve.

JinYoung looked at Mark, with that look that was always confusing, always suggesting, always claiming something that Mark knew couldn't be true.

However, as Mark looked into JinYoung's eyes, he wished that, somehow, it could be true.

"Mark," JinYoung breathed. "Merry Christmas."

Then he leaned in and captured Mark's lips with his.

Mark was taken completely by surprise. JinYoung's kiss stirred up all the feelings that Mark had done his best to hide. As his arms wrapped around Mark's waist and neck, pulling him closer, Mark stopped thinking and questioning and simply pulled him closer against his body in return.

"Mark," JinYoung breathed softly, "you're the one," he said as he kissed his face lightly. "It's you."

Mark pulled back for only one moment to look into JinYoung's eyes.

"No . . . you're wrong . . . " he said.

Now it was JinYoung's turn to be confused. "I'm wr. . . "

"It's not me," Mark said. "It's you. You're the one. You're the one I love. You're the one I've always loved," he murmured as he swept swiftly forward kissing JinYoung deep and long.

"I love you . . . I love you . . . " he said as he peppered kisses all over JinYoung's face and neck.

"I love you, Mark," JinYoung responded, kissing his love with increasing energy and fervor.

As they held each other tightly, kissing with growing intensity, slowly exploring each other with hands and lips, looking forward to the strengthening and blossoming of the love between them, they knew that this Christmas was the beginning of something special.

 

http://33.media.tumblr.com/9cfe32259defd858b0b69ac93982a6fa/tumblr_n9a23laR5L1tcznp6o5_r1_500.gif

 


Hope you liked it. If so, please comment and upvote!

Please also check out my other MarkJin / JinMark fics!  (*^_^)