It's freaking past midnight already

Past Midnight

You shifted again under the sheets of your bed… You really needed your sleep. You had to sleep. You even wanted to, it’s not like you’d rather listen to music or watch a movie this time. No, your whole body was begging your brain to turn off. But your damn neighbour had to put the stupid music on.

LOUD.

You sat up, grabbed your phone and already mad, you looked at what time it was. “The boy doesn’t like life. It’s freaking past midnight. I am so going to kill him” You jolted out of your bed and marched into your living room, glaring at the wall. Somewhere behind it was a fool standing. And you wished that glare could go through the wall and kill! You waited for the song to stop, giving the damn neighbour a last chance. The song came to an end and you waited. There was a pause and you thought, maybe, he/she had some common sense and was done. Yet the same song started again.

Your head rolled back and you closed your eyes. “I hate him and I think I hate this song too now…” you mumbled. For a little while, you didn’t move at all. Though, suddenly, you walked quickly in the wall’s direction, stepped on your sofa and hit the wall with your fist three times.

To no avail.

Of course.


 

You considered hitting harder but… it wasn’t fair to the other neighbours: they already had to deal with this music too, they didn’t have to bear some more noise. But you just couldn’t just stay there and do nothing about it. So of course, you put on a robe and headed out to his door. There, you met one of your other neighbour, a woman in his forty. She shrugged at you with a small smile and returned back home. That was it? Were you the only one who wanted to pull this guy’s head off? You grunted and marched until you faced the door. You hesitantly rang the bell, not sure he would even hear it (and you were not really one to initiate any contact or conversation with people you barely know but…) You waited a little but time seemed a lot longer to you and you thought it was no use to wait. Though, the music stop eventually, freezing you on spot as you had taken a step to leave (and call the police). Some ruffling was heard behind the door. You could hear steps getting closer, then further and closer again until the door opened.

Your eyes slowly rose up to find the face of the giant standing in front of you. Damn, you thought, he has to be taller than me too. You were not really one to pay attention to looks, of course you sometimes would find this person cute or something… but it wasn’t the first thing that would strike your mind. However, there was no way you wouldn’t take notice of what the guy in front you looked like.

He was wearing a white wife beater with a black cardigan he probably put on quickly before answering the door. His left shoulder was exposed as his cardigan kept falling off it, bothering him obviously. You didn’t really pay attention to the bottoms, but you would have bet on some kind of dark sweatpants. Next thing that caught your eyes was his skin, covered with sweat and he was short of breath. You tried hard not to roll your eyes as you put one and one: really? At this time of the night? He was dancing? Why wouldn’t he go to some club and let you sleep? And his face… even though he was this tall, you could tell he was just a baby with these round cheeks and these surprised Bambi eyes.

He kept silent for a while, his mouth slowly opened and you thought he was maybe trying to catch his breath. Or then he was being rude, which wouldn’t be a surprise to you. You waited a little. “Uh… mm, sorry, how can I help you?” he asked with a way more gentle voice you imagined. You took a breath to try and not sound like an annoying old lady. You would have so tolerated the music and the dancing if you were not this tired… and if it were the first time…

It’s just it’s past midnight and I’ve been trying to sleep… I start early tomorrow… or should I say today now…” You said, raising your phone to look once again at the time. His eyes widened. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realise it was this late already. I will stop now…”

You nodded your head, ready to walk back, “Thanks for understanding” He smiled sheepishly, scratching the back of his head. You headed for your door but you kept feeling his eyes on your back. That’s when you hear, “Mmm… Have a good night” he eventually said as you froze, key in the hole of your door. You were about to turn your head in his direction and answer but the door was already closed. “Weird kid…” you mumbled but head back to your apartment. You finally could have some sleep.


 

6:30. Your alarm clock went off and you had a really hard time waking up. Well, you thought, it could be much worse if he didn’t stop last night. You smiled in satisfaction: this time, the kid didn’t win but you did. With this in mind, it was a bit easier to walk out of bed and get ready to work. It was Friday. On Fridays, you would work at the coffee shop from 8:00 to 13:00 and then go to college. Just for a few hours. You could handle it.

Before going out, you put your earphones on, volume to the max and made sure you had your keys. Your head bobbing to the song, you headed out without a care for the world around you and proceeded to work.


 

Hello” you tried to say as nicely as you could despite the mess your workplace was this morning. Everyone was rushing, you couldn’t even focus on clients properly, still writing some numbers your boss asked you.

Hello, I would like a tall cappuccino please” a quite rough voice requested. You had to fight a smile though, noticing how polite and nice the person tried to sound. Just for this reason, you shot your head up curious to see who would be the person… when…

Of course, just a- oh?” “You?” the guy pointed at you with a small smile before chuckling. “So you work here?” You smiled back. Here standing in front of you was one of your neighbours. You didn’t know much about him, you just met him a few times in your hall, said hello… he might also have helped you once or twice with your bags or when you dropped your mail on the floor too… That’s it. A nice guy overall.

Yes, sometimes…” He nodded and let you give the order to your co-worker. When you were back, he said “Sometimes only, uh? I had never seen you there before… You’re not following me, right?” he joked. You chuckled “No, I am not but…” you paused to take the cup handed to you, “maybe you are following me.” With a small smile, you gave him a tray with his order. He smiled too, took the tray after paying. “You will know if we meet again I guess” and with a mischievous smile, he turned away. You thought you wouldn’t see or hear him again but he walked back and added, “By the way, I’m Yongguk. Thought you’d like to know. It’s kind of weird if we are neighbours and I know your name but you don’t know mine, Cassidy” You frowned, surprised he even knew your name. When it hit you… Your nametag. You shot a glance at it and closed your eyes only to hear his laugh. “See you next time, Cassidy” He said, walking away.

Next time I guess… Yongguk” you said with a small voice.


 

Finally home! That sure was an unexpectedly long day, you thought. It was only 7:00PM but you considered going straight to bed… But right then, the music started booming again from the other side of your living room’s wall. You casted a glance at the clock and realising you couldn’t really complained about it, you shrugged. “Anyway, I’m too hungry to sleep now”

Minutes passed by and you had dinner, watched the news (well as much as you could), you watched part of a movie and still the music wouldn’t stop. Well, it was Friday night after all… You were about to grab your phone and put some music on yourself when your doorbell rang. You groaned, not liking it at all.

You headed for the door, not sure whether or not you would open it. You heard some voices behind the door “I saw her coming back from college… she must be in…” “You sure?” with that, your doorbell rang again. You sighed as silently as you could and decided to open the door after all.

Pause.

A small smile.

Eventually a laugh.

So you do stalk me after all” you chuckled. None other than Yongguk was there standing with a huge Cheshire cat smile. “You will not believe me if I say I really had no idea, right?” You shook your head no, mockingly. He sighed. “Okay I admit it, I stalk people and I’m dumb enough to visit them at their home so they would know” You both laughed at this. “Okay, okay, let’s say I believe this is all a coincidence, alright?” He nodded.

There was a really short break, he turned his head to the side as if he was looking at something. But it didn’t last long and he looked back at you. “Just wanted to say sorry for the noise, since I’m back home and did a good job at my work, we are having a small party” he explained. “Oh okay” you nodded in understanding. And you who thought it was that kid from the day before again. “Do you want to join? I mean, let’s not wait to meet coincidentally again” you gave a small laugh again but shook your head. “Nah, but thanks… have fun”

He pouted and gave you puppy eyes. “Come on, Cassidy, you sure?” You rolled your eyes, “Yes, I’m dead… I just want to rest” “Like you will sleep with so much noise! And if you’re dead, you need life” he smiled again. That mischief… “No, really… and I don’t want to disturb, I have some work and-“ “And you will take care of this later; right?” he reached for your arm and pulled you out. You were wearing your slippers still (which was a miracle by the way since you usually walk barefoot). “Come on, I didn’t even know we were neighbour because we don’t even really talk. And… I want to ask you something too…”

You sighed. “Just for a little while” He whispered-shout a “yes” and gave a little winning-dance. “Let me just get my keys and… trade these for something else” You said, pointing for your big cat-shaped slippers. He smirked, raising an eyebrow. “Kay. You will come back right?” he asked, suspicious. “I will…” “Mmm, I don’t buy it” “How dare you, we barely know each other!” You gasped, laughing too. He raised his hands and counted. “Well, I know your name, where you live, where you work, you are a student, you don’t party much, you are clumsy, you hate mails, adore cats it seems. Oh and you love your earphones and to ignore the world. That’s pretty much for someone I don’t know, right? Oh and you should tell the guy he doesn’t stand a chance” You frowned, panic crossing your eyes though. “Which guy?!” “The one who sends you these letters and makes you sigh in annoyance” a smirk played on his lips and you could only stay there with your mouth wide open. He gently pushed you inside your apartment and stayed at the entrance, “I will wait for you here while you get your keys” You were about to say something but gave up. “You stay here” and with this, you went to find your keys and after some minutes, you eventually came back.

He eyed you with a smirk, “Wait, let me guess… You couldn’t find them right?” “You really are a stalker uh?” At this, he only laughed and pulled you out. You didn’t like people to touch you this much but somehow, you felt okay with it when it was him. Even if he was too nonchalant about it… he really felt like he was a nice guy. Like you were already good friends.


 

You two headed for his apartment. You had no idea where it would be, somewhere around considering the music you could hear… but never did you imagine it would be THIS near. It was just next door… You frowned, wasn’t the kid living there too? Or was he just there once? Or… are they related? You started to panic. This young boy was the last person you wanted to see. But luck wasn’t on your side. “Zelo! We have another guest” Yongguk shouted to a boy as he walked in. And of course, it had to be him… The kid.

The boy hesitantly faced you, nodded and asked if you wanted anything to drink. Which you answered with a no while Yongguk asked for two glass of juice. You raised an eyebrow at him and he just smiled while petting your head. He guided you then to the sofa where he introduced you to his friends. Most of them seemed nice but… all of them were boys. Not that it was a problem to you but it still felt weird. You barely knew them after all. That’s when you thought you really had to get out of there the faster possible. But as time passed, you felt more comfortable with them and a bit less suspicious. You even played at Assassin’s Creed with a boy called Himchan. That was it when Yongguk grabbed your attention and asked you to come with him.


 

When you reached the kitchen, he pulled a stool for you to sit, like a perfect gentleman and he then sat next to you at their breakfast bar. “What is it?” you asked. “Remember, I told you I have something to ask you?” you nodded you head, not sure. “Well, I won’t be around much the next days… Even though I live here with my little bro, Zelo, I won’t be there with him. So I just want someone to watch over him once in a while. You don’t even have to come or anything, alright? He is just … quite difficult sometimes, in his own world so he needs someone to get his feet back on the ground. You know what I mean?” At first, you didn’t like at all… “You know, I’m not sure I’m the right person for this. I mean I spend my life in between my work and studies. I will only be slightly more at home than you will…” And you might kill the boy in his absence. Really, you were not the right person. You sure dreamed of having a little brother but… one you can actually like. Not one you want to erase from the world at least once every week. He shook his hands in front of him. “It will be enough, really. It’s just in case he doesn’t behave… He is a new college student, I want him to be serious about this. Heard he used to skip class sometimes before. And even if he did really well I just don’t want any of this now. You can even scold him” You nodded your head in understanding. You thought about it a little. Yongguk was a hard person to say no to. I helped you so many times and this even though he didn’t know you. “If it’s only about this…” “Good, I will tell him he can rely on you too if anything happens to him” “What, wait… what?” but it was too late already, Yongguk was gone and the only thing he gave you before disappearing was a glimpse of his Cheshire cat.

He tricked you, right? The guy just tricked you. You sighed. Damn them gentlemen, too.

When you walked back in the living room, your eyes travelled the room and caught the form of a tall guy… Zelo. Yongguk was whispering to him with a brotherly smile and tapped his shoulder. Zelo’s eyes met yours then and you exchanged a look for a few seconds. You sighed. Kido, you better behave and not need my help. “Hey, Cassie, come on, I’m stuck in the game again” Himchan shouted at you. You sighed again. A bunch of kids… as if you needed this!


 

A week passed since that party. Ten days to be exact. It was Monday night and you were just getting home. You sighed when you noticed it was already past nine. Damn Mondays! Your toughest day. Your plans were simple: cook something really easy, eat, brush your teeth, put on your pyjama and sleep.

You had cleared almost everything, ready to fall on your bed when… damn music.

You froze.

Ten freaking days without a single problem and he had to be at it again on a MONDAY. This kid was sick. But you remembered Yongguk’s words. And you would make use of them. You went for the apartment’s door and rang the bell three times before he stopped the music and opened the door.

Biting his lip with his head low and an apologetic look, Zelo faced you. “Hey…” he managed to say shyly. But you didn’t buy any of it. He knew very well what he was doing. “It is late already you know?” He nodded his head, trying to fix his cardigan which kept slipping down his right shoulder. “I will stop the music” You sighed. You wanted to scold him for even putting it on this late but you were too tired for this. “Go to bed, you go to college, right?” He shot his head up at this and opened his mouth. But he closed it and just nodded. “You will be tired tomorrow, so go straight to bed. Night”

With that, you walked back to your apartment. You just stayed long enough to hear Zelo say “See you tomorrow, noona”. Of course, it was weird. It’s not like you planned to meet him or something but you shrugged it off and just went to sleep.


 

The next day, as expected, you never met Zelo. The kid really was crazy you thought. But at least, no music at night this time! The day after, Zelo didn’t put on music either and you finally thought the boy learned. However, the next day, he proved you wrong. And yet again, you had to lecture him about bothering the whole neighbourhood, including you.


 

There was this time too, he put music on at 6:30 in the morning… On a freaking Monday. You can still remember how you got out of your bed quickly. You glared again at the wall and hit it three times. The music stopped and a few minutes later, your doorbell rang. You opened the door. “No, Zelo. No music at 6 in the morning either!” you growled. He made a cute face and scratched the back of his head. “It was an accident…” You sighed, doubting it. He bit his lips and before you could scold him some more, he asked you, “Noona, don’t you start early this morning?” Your eyes widened. He was right! You left him there and went to get your phone in your bed. You forgot to set the alarm clock. Jeez. You got back to where you left Zelo. “I’m late… Thanks… I guess. But be more careful next time” He tried to hide a laugh which annoyed you, so you just closed your door and got ready.


 

After that, music didn’t bother you in three days. But yet again, after this short time, Zelo did it again. It soon became a routine. Almost every three days, you had to remind him. It was annoying, you were growing furious and he seemed like he was more confident every time. Sometimes, he would not even hide his smile. The same kind of smile Yongguk would sometimes give you. It was driving you mad and you didn’t know what his problem was exactly. This wouldn’t do. At all. So on one Friday night, you decided to visit him. You rang the bell and quickly heard the steps behind the door. Soon, the door was opened and Zelo shouted a lively “Hyung” before meeting your face.

Pause.

Breathe in. Don’t kill him. Breathe out. Not yet, Cassie.

Oh, noona…” he breathed with round eyes. You didn’t quite remember when he started calling you noona so freely. You just remembered Himchan explaining to you what was the meaning of it – even though you knew. He had added to the explanation “it also means he either trusts you or teases you”. You didn’t quite like it to say the least but well… “There is no music on this time though…” he said innocently but something was off with it. As if he was mocking you actually. You ignored it. “I want to talk with you” you said. That’s when you realised he had no reason to accept. Why would he? You wouldn’t talk with someone who bothers you! “Uh… Really?” he seemed surprised and somehow you felt weird too asking it. You blinked, nodding slowly as he kept staring at you. Uh oh… and what if he was making up a plan to kill you or torture you? “Mmm… Well, come in” he stepped to the side so you would have access.

Your eyes met with a living mess. Not only were many things piling up here and there but he had even moved some furnitures, probably to dance more freely. On the table lied many pieces of paper, some balled as if he messed up many times what he was trying to write. His eyes followed yours and he suddenly panicked. Zelo almost jumped on the table, picked up all the papers and trash and pulled it away. Probably moved it to his own room. He picked up some of his clothes hanging here and there and told you to make yourself comfortable. You hid a smile… After all, even if annoying, he still was cute like kid sometimes, uh?

He sat next to you, making sure to leave some room though. He bit his lip, his hands on his knees before asking you with a deep yet soft voice. “So… why did you want to talk with me?” You took a deep breath and turned your head to look at him. “I want to get this over with. Do you have a problem with me?” His eyes suddenly met yours as he finally looked at you. “What?” You your lips, trying to think of a right way to explain yourself. “Every three days I come here to ask you the same thing. And everytime you say you understand but then you do it again. Why are you acting like this?” His eyes were already somewhere else. “You hate it that much when I turn on the music, right?” he mumbled. “That’s not the problem. It’s just you always have to turn it on right when I want to sleep” He sighed and bit his lips. “Is it a game? Sometimes I feel like you enjoy doing this. I understand, you may hate me or I don’t know but you don’t have to do this. Just tell me and we are done.” He kept silent but stood up eventually and went to pick his Ipod.

You stared at the scene in total disbelief. Was he just ignoring you and your questions? “Since you took some of your precious time to come and talk with me, why don’t you stay a little longer?” You stood up, “Zelo, I asked you something just now and you didn’t even bother answering me, you sounded calm but your voice was one of a mother scolding her son. He frowned, not looking at you. “Stop talking to me as if I were a kid” he sighed exasperatedly. “I-I… I’m sorry I bothered you, okay? It’s fine, you can leave”

This last sentence dig a hole in your heart for some reason and you started to regret. Which was ridiculous… You nodded, “If you want to, music is alright tonight so-” “No point. But thanks” he coldly said before heading for his room.

After that day, never did music bothered you at night again… Somehow, it was sometimes still hard to sleep…


 

Almost three weeks later, Yongguk had come back for a little while. He visited you at home twice to thank you for watching over Zelo which was really uncomfortable to you. “He has been difficult, hasn’t he?” he asked with his usual smile. “He’s not that bad…” was the only thing you could say. He nodded, “Sure, he’s just a weirdo”. You gave him a small smile. “You are one too…” You questioned him with your eyes. “What?” “You are a weirdo. You cannot be that much older than Zelo, still you act like a granny” “HEY!” “It’s true, isn’t it? Miss I love Sherlock Holmes” You made a face, “It’s popular these days” “Yeah the new series, not the old book” he laughed. You gasped, “It’s a GREAT book, okay? And I do watch Elementary” He rolled his eyes, “Okay, how about this? You hardly go out to have some fun” you shrugged. “Books are my fun” “Come on! Go out a little more, Cassie” at this you kept quiet. He smirked, “See”. You groaned, “But people are so annoying!” At this Yongguk shook his head with a large smile. “A real grumpy granny. Come on, get up, get dressed, I’m taking you out” You stared at him with a are-you-kidding-me face. “Hurry, I’m damn serious”. He took your hand, pulled you to your feet and pushed you in your room. “Do it or I will do it for you”. You grimaced but gave in.


 

When you were ready, Yongguk was gone picking something home and you decided to wait for him in front of your door. You opened it and noticed almost immediately a letter. Yet another one from that guy. You sighed and were just about to go back in to leave it on your table when the door next to yours opened. You waited for Yongguk’s smile to taunt you but instead you met with a pair of lively eyes. Zelo. He froze for a little while, looking at you… But then he just went back to his business, making sure he had his keys. That’s when you noticed it: his hand, it was bleeding a bit.

You have a cut…” you said, approaching him instinctively. He blinked and looked at his hand. “Oh…” was all he said, looking at it intently. “You should put a strap maybe” He shook his head no and closed the door. “But thanks for the concern…” and with this said, he left. You stared at his back a little, feeling bad for some reason. Fortunately, Yongguk finally opened the door. “You look perfect, to be honest. I had lost hope” You slapped him with the letter. He let a laugh escape his throat and grabbed your hand. “Mysterious guy strikes again?” he asked with a small smile. You sighed, a bit embarrassed “Looks like I only attract stalkers”. Yongguk pretended to pout, “Tease, you attract teases I’d say”. You rolled your eyes but gave a small laugh. “I thought girls liked secret lovers” “Secret lovers, not secret creepers”. You made a face while Yongguk shook his head, “Hey, the guy likes you” he said taking the letter and opening it. “He knows nothing about me” Yongguk snickered, “Well, he knows exactly where you live, your name and even when you have to wake up on Mondays. Pretty much for a guy who knows nothing about you… yet again” he teased but handed you the letter.


 

And remember to set your alarm clock before going to sleep, 6:30. Not 7:30.

Even if it’s cute to hear you complain about it everytime…

Love, that someone.


 

You grimaced. Creepy. “I know what you think but he’s just teasing you” Yongguk said. “You defend him because you’re like him, uh?” he just grinned and denied like a kid. And as you joked and discussed with him, you forgot about the letter and followed your neighbour.

And you shouldn’t have! Considering where he led you to “A club? No way!” You shrieked. Yongguk pulled on your hand “Ow, come on! You will like it” and just like everytime, you eventually gave in. You had just walked in when Yongguk felt his phone buzzing, he whispered in your ear he would head out to get this call. But first, he walked you to a booth where you had a direct view of the dancefloor, got you a drink, stayed a little with you and eventually left. You didn’t like the idea of staying alone there but put on your cold facade and waited. Lights flashed, music blasted, everyone was moving around you but then everything changed and stopped. A guy with a mic walked in and announced proudly, “Let the battle start!”

Right after a guy popped out of the crowd and started busting some moves, he wasn’t half way when another one jumped in, obviously bored by the former’s moves. With his friend, they spiced it up with acrobatics. One after the other, they showed what they’ve got. You were amazed.

The next guy to take place had just got started with fast moves and impressive figures, yet you were already amazed. But something bothered you about him. You couldn’t put your finger on what but you knew one thing, he was good. He bowed dramatically to his audience, ready to walk out in your direction. His hood fell backwards and revealed a skin shinning with some sweat… Fluffy hair, cute cheeks and soon, you met these lively eyes. Zelo, of course. You smiled at him, ready to stick a thumb up but Yongguk suddenly appeared next to you and whispered again in your ear. You both had to head out. You stood up, nodding at him, got your bag and cast a glance at Zelo to tell him to come but he had disappeared. “Hey, you coming?” Yongguk asked again and you snapped out of it. With a nod, you followed him out.


 

You were heading back home, listening to Yongguk. “I’m sorry, something happened apparently and Himchan is too… too…” You raised an eyebrow and suggested, “Too Himchan?” “Yes, he is too Himchan to fix it. Can’t blame him when there is Daehyun to watch…” he rolled his eyes and you laughed. He walked you up to the building, making sure you were safe and left. You sighed, Yongguk wasn’t leading a healthy life, that’s what you thought.

You head home and went to sleep. Without forgetting to set your alarm clock. At least, you didn’t come back home too late compared to what you imagined, so you would not have too much of a hard time in the morning.


 

The day after, you woke up at the right time and were not late at work. Yongguk came at the shop to have a cup of coffee and to tell you he was again leaving for a few days. So you had to watch Zelo again. You sighed… You had mixed feelings about it, not knowing whether he was mad at you or not. But the answer would come sooner or later.


 

One night, as you were coming back home, you immediately knew something was wrong. Six of your neighbours were shouting and knocking on Zelo’s and Yongguk’s door. And no one could ignore the reason why. The music. Louder than ever. You ran up to them and calmed them down, saying you would take care of it. When they accepted to let you try and do something, you rang the bell. The music was too loud this time so you tried shouting his name too, knowing very well it wouldn’t work any better. Like you could cover the music with your voice… However the music did stop. The door opened and as usual, you were expecting to have a sweating Zelo facing you with an apologetic look. But you only met a guy in a pyjama with red eyes and a cold face this time. He nodded to himself.

So it is the only way to grab your attention, uh?” was the first and only thing he said as he just walked back in then, leaving the door open for you to follow. Previously on the sofa, Himchan stood up as he saw you. You frowned, “You were in there and didn’t stop him?” He shook his head and whispered back, “Nah, your job. I’m busy enough with Yongguk’s things… Anyway, Zelo didn’t listen”. He tapped your shoulder and just left you with the big monster.


 

You sighed, raising your eyes at Zelo’s face. He always seemed so… childish before, but that day, he almost scared you. “Zelo, is something wrong? You look sick…” His jaw moved as if he was swallowing words. “Because you care? Yes, I’m sick. Sick of this.” You blinked, what was he talking about? “Am I such a burden to you?” You shook your head at this, a bit surprised he would even ask this, “Of course not” “Don’t lie to me… It’s even worse if you lie to make me feel better. I’m no kid even if I look so young to you.” You nodded, “I won’t, Zelo.” He sighed, “You… you want to know why I put the music on? You thought I hated you, right?” You could only nod. He chuckled but there was no heart in it. He wasted a beautiful smile just like that, you thought. “How can I be so bad?” he sighed. “Everytime I do this, I make sure you are home or about to come back at least, I know you will try to get some sleep and that’s when I finally put on the music. That’s true. And I know you get mad, get up, I can guess when you march all the way to this door and then, I hear the doorbell. Everytime I hear it I smile. Not because I bother you… Just because you come.” He paused. You took this chance to try and understand. “You feel lonely?” “I do. But I never really mind it. I don’t care if no one comes. I’m not desperate for company… not for any at least.”

He bit his lip nervously. “I just want to see you.”

You almost gasped.


 

It felt like someone had taken your heart and suddenly pulled on it. Your mind went blank in a second and all you could try to do was listen. Because you might have heard wrong just there. That couldn’t be. Though…

I-I want to meet your eyes. To see this strike of anger or craziness in your eyes…” he admitted with a smile and again your heart was pulled. “I want to hear your voice. Even if it’s cold…” his eyes dropped to the floor and your heart was about to follow. “My heart even goes crazy everytime you call my name. Honestly, I don’t even really mind what you may say after. Whether you are scolding me or not. Pitiful, uh?” He smiled bitterly and patted his fluffy hair. “But I like to know that for some minutes, you expect something from me. And I’m not the one pending, waiting for a reaction from you.” He chuckled darkly. “Sometimes, I admit it, I like to know I’m the one in your mind. Even if it’s for hurting you a bit.” He his lips then and opened his mouth with a pained face, as if what followed was hard to even voice. “And everytime you finally come, I hope you will stay. I hope you will try to get to know me. I hope the time after, you will come because you feel like coming… That I won’t have to wait for too long to see your face. But I wait… and it never happens… Of course it doesn’t, a brat like me” He looked up and searched for your eyes. But you were holding your head low. You couldn’t bear to look at him.

It wasn’t that Zelo you used to see.

And it was bothering you. It weight on your heart.


 

You heard his footsteps coming closer and his hand raised from his sides to touch your chin. You looked up. “At least now, look at me… I want to be selfish and childish some more, while I have your attention…” he whispered with those dark eyes. It hurt you a bit to see these two lively orbs now so empty. You somewhat expected to see them shine with light again. You could have waited just to see this twinkle of mischief. Even if you knew it couldn’t really happen. “Cassie?” he softly called. You frowned, eyeing his eyes more seriously. As if asking him what he wanted. “Can I be that little impolite brat a bit longer?” he breathed against your lips and that’s when you realised he was this close. But even then, you didn’t move. Your eyes fell to his lips and back to his eyes, gentle and sad. “Can I?” and with this, you let him close the gap.

You were not sure if it was the right thing but you didn’t want to pull away. Even when he looked this cold, Zelo’s lips were still warmer than you. He was still more lively than you could and brought some life to your limp body. And maybe… it was something you could grow use to as well. Like you grew used to his fluffy hair you touched for the first time. Soft and messy. Like his cute cheeks you traced with your other hand. A bit fleshy. Like his arms around you… with the damn cardigan falling off his left shoulder as always. And like these shining mischievous eyes you got to meet again when he pulled away.

Like this small smile.

You could grow used to it all.


 

You… you are the best dancer I’ve ever met. That night, you were the best” you randomly said. You had no idea why you said that at that moment. You just wanted him to know. He stared at you and suddenly laughed. “Really?” You nodded, catching your breath. He laughed again, his head resting on yours. “She watched me”, he whispered to himself with a smile. That’s when you realised the reason why you had to tell him. “Does… that mean you want to see me again? Now?” he asked, pulling away to look at you. You crossed your arms, “College tomorrow, go to bed. Now. It’s already past midnight, you brat” you said, ready to walk away from him, giving your heart a rest maybe. But he grabbed your arm “I have another selfish request then… We will go together this time” You opened your mouth at this. Honestly, you did not even know you were attending the same college. He probably knew… And ashamed, you could just nod your head. Yet another thing ou would get use to.

You walked to the door, him on your tail. He blocked the door with his hand. “You had no idea, right?” he said with a small voice. You mumbled some excuses under your breath but he didn’t bother to listen and turned you around. “Another request then. Stay, please…” You gasped, he looked serious. “Hey, I bet just a few months ago you still were under-age, I’m so not staying!” He laughed while you were busy trying to take his hand off the door. “You will come back when you hear the music…” You glared. “And I didn’t think of anything weird.” If possible, you double-glared. “I know it’s past midnight” he grabbed your hands. “I know you don’t promise me anything too… you don’t have to” he said, walking closer. “And I know you want to sleep. I’m just not ready to let you leave yet, not even for him he whispered, pulling you into another warm hug.

One you could as well adjust too.

And even thought you never promised him anything, you did stay with him.


 

~ ~ * ~ ~


 

Noona, what are we?” he asked a few days later, playing with a piece of paper. You froze. Oh no, what was that question? Sure, you were wondering too but really, it’s no talk you wanted to have yet…