Chapter Two

Love Is...

Kyungsoo

    I never dreamt of knowing love until I came across a coffee shop in Jongno. Small and out of the way in the hustle and bustle of tourists that pass to go to Namsan everyday, it is perfect for me when I need a break.

    I truly discovered love when I tried one of their scones for the first time. It’s a European pastry that makes me feel like I am far, far away from Seoul without actually having to leave. The owners wave and smile. The husband handing me my scone and hot chocolate.

    “I knew you would come this evening. You’ve become a regular.” He says waving off my offer of money.

    “Your shop has become my second home, I can assure you.” I bow and head off to my table-- a small round table in the back of the shop beside a window that looks out across the city. I come to a halt when I see a figure already sitting in my seat. A young woman, with headphones in her ears and stocking cap slipping down in front of her face.

    I sigh and choose the table diagonal from my normal spot. I still have a view of the city, but it’s not as good as the one she’s currently in. I take my seat in the chair and it begins to wobble back in forth. I shift around, and even place a napkin under one of the legs to see if it will steady the chair, but it does not.

    Great. I wouldn’t have this problem at my usual table. I think to myself. I look over to see the girl with her eyes still closed. I don’t imagine she will mind if I steal her extra chair.

    I wave my hands in front of her face, but she doesn’t budge. I clear my throat, but she doesn’t respond. Finally, in vain, I speak.

    “May I use this chair?” I ask in a measured tone. The girl’s eyes finally open, and she registers my presence, removing the buds from her ears.

    “I asked if I could use this chair. That one has a wobbly leg.” I point over to the one that I was sitting in.

    “Of course. I’m not using it.” I bow and take the chair. It’s still not as comfortable as my normal spot, but at least the chair doesn’t wobble anymore.

 

    After an hour and a half, I receive a text from Kai asking me where I ran off to. The sky is much darker outside now that the sun has finally turned off its light. I shoot him a quick reply saying that I will be back soon.

    The shop is starting to close. Most customers have come and gone, but that girl is still in her spot. Her head has fallen against the window, and is moving as she whispers in her sleep. Does she not realize how irresponsible and rude it is to fall asleep in a public place? No matter. I’m not her friend or her family. It’s not my job to teach her how to conduct herself in public.

I pick up the chair and move it back to its original place. The girl doesn’t move an inch.

    I pull out my pin and quickly scribble a note on a napkin, and leave it near her cold, untouched coffee.

    “See you next week?” The owner asks as he wipes down the tables.

    “Without a doubt.” I bow before heading out the doors.