Chapter 2

Fireworks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night Hyukjae couldn’t sleep. A certain handsome, blind stranger couldn’t leave his mind, he felt excited yet nostalgic, anticipating their next meeting whatsoever. He knew Donghae had felt insecure when he got to know about his condition and he wondered why. All he knew was the only thing he wanted at that moment was to envelop this fragile person in his arms and tell him there was nothing to be afraid of as Hyukjae was there with him. But then again Hyukjae himself was a bit terrified with his own thoughts and feelings, he didn’t even know Donghae and yet he felt as if he already fell in love with the latter. Maybe it was Christmas magic? Maybe it was because Hyukjae was craving somebody to love and he seemed to be grabbing the first chance he got? Maybe it was because Donghae was just too lovely not to fall in love with him? Hyukjae didn’t know. But for now, he’s decided not to think too much about it, instead anticipate the next day meeting and let things develop on their own.

With these thoughts in his mind and a faint smile on his face, he fell asleep.

*

Strolling the very same place as the day before, Hyukjae couldn’t help the excitement spreading in every cell in his body, he was quite nervous, his hands sweating in his thick gloves, heart beating rapidly in his ribcage. He was nervous. But more than that, he was excited.

He tried hard not to be too early although it was a very difficult task for him as he was already jumping in his house two hours before the midday, feet itching to just go already and he had to force himself to stay still until he had twenty minutes to the meeting and he could leave so he was perfectly on time.

To be honest, he was dreading that Donghae would not show up. After all Hyukjae was a stranger to him, a very desperate stranger to that, and, judging by the brunet’s reaction yesterday, there was a huge chance that Hyukjae won’t actually see him again. And that thought somehow terrified Hyukjae, really much.

So he was genuinely surprised, pleasantly surprised when, upon reaching the place he was about to appear exactly at the 12 o’clock, he spotted a familiar figure and he already was smiling like a fool. There Donghae was standing, playing with his white cane on the snow, he looked even more handsome than the previous day in the black coat and a navy blue scarf adorning his neck, skinny jeans hugging his slim legs and black, quite elegant boots on his feet. As his hearing was really sensitive he already had heard footsteps of the shoes on the snow and he looked up, to the direction of where he though they were coming from.

“Hello, Donghae” Hyukjae spoke, watching in delight as a small smile appeared on the other’s face.

“Hi, Hyukjae” Donghae bashfully replied fidgeting with the cane in his hands and Hyukjae chuckled mentally at how adorable the brunet was.

“Shall we grab some coffee?” The blond asked, knowing it would be the best and the most comfortable place for their…well, he liked to call it date but he wasn’t sure if he had the privilege of doing so, so he just stuck to the word ‘meeting’. To his relief, Donghae nodded vigorously.

“Sounds good” he replied, smiling charmingly.

“Let’s go then” Donghae nodded again and then they headed off to where Hyukjae  claimed there was a cozy, small café in which they could take a sip of a delicious coffee and get to know each other better.

“Choco’s home?” Donghae asked with a small playful smile and Hyukjae looked at him surprised.

“You remembered her name?” He asked and Donghae nodded cutely.

“I have a pretty good memory. Besides, how could I not remember when you practically screamed it in my face?” He smirked slightly. Hyukjae blushed.

“Sorry for that. It’s just I was so worried for her…”

“That’s okay, Hyukjae. I understand. I would act exactly the same. After all, how could you know who I was and what intentions did I have?”

Hyukjae smiled although the other couldn’t see it.

“Here you are wrong. I knew you were a good man since a saw you”

It was Donghae’s turn to blush.

“How can you be so sure? You don’t know me” he replied and then Hyukjae grinned.

“I just know, okay?” he reassured and Donghae decided not to dig further.

They talked about random things until they reached the café and they closed in to the counter to place their orders.

“What do you want, Donghae?” Hyukjae addressed the brunet once it was their turn to order and Donghae thought for a while.

“I’ll have latte” he said while rummaging through his pockets in search of his wallet but suddenly Hyukjae stopped him.

“I’m paying” he said softly yet demandingly. Still, Donghae protested. He shook his head frantically.

“Nah, I’ll pay for myself, Hyukjae, you don’t have to – “

“Donghae” Hyukjae interrupted him, his hand gently touching the other’s own in order to stop him from taking out his wallet “I want to pay for your coffee. Let me?” he asked sweetly and eventually Donghae agreed, nodding faintly yet blushing in embarrassment as he mumbled to himself something about Hyukjae being stubborn.

They didn’t realize the barmaid was watching them curiously, only when Hyukjae had turned to her to place their orders and pay she spoke, smiling fondly at the duo.

“You two are so cute” her words made Donghae’s cheeks turn to even deeper shade of pink while Hyukjae only smiled, contented “Are you dating?”

Donghae gasped, Hyukjae, on the other hand, spared him a quick glance, chuckling nervously.

“N-no” he answered with a small voice, suddenly flustered. The barmaid only smirked.

“Yet” she said simply while accepting the money from the blond and putting it in the cashier.

“Huh?” Hyukjae asked dumbly.

“It’s a matter of time, I see it” the girl winked and then proceeded with attending the next client before Hyukjae could process her words. When he finally had though, he realized that Donghae was still beside him, yet something had changed, his expression had turned more… grim. Hyukjae frowned. Could it be because of the girl’s words? But why would they upset him? She hadn’t said anything offensive after all so Hyukjae couldn’t really understand the brunet’s sudden change in mood. He decided to let it slip for now however and just ask him later, when they’ll be already sitting at the table. Speaking of which, he told Donghae to go occupy the table for them while he waited for their orders to be ready. He helped the brunet find a free one and sit down, then came back to collect their coffees.

“Here” he said placing a latte before the brunet, startling him as Donghae seemed to have been in deep thoughts before Hyukjae came back.

“Thank you” the brunet said quietly and immediately enveloped the warm glass with both hands, bringing it to his mouth slowly and carefully before taking a sip of the beverage.

Hyukjae observed him, concerned.

“What’s wrong?” he asked eventually, not being able to stand seeing Donghae like that anymore.

The brunet’s eyes widened as he looked in Hyukjae’s direction.

“Why do you think there’s something wrong? Everything’s okay” he said, not a single bit convincingly. Hyukjae shook his head.

“I may have known you for half a day but I already can see you can’t lie. So tell me the truth, Donghae. Of course, if you’re comfortable with that. Otherwise, I’ll just let it go though I don’t like you being upset” he said seriously, maybe too seriously but he couldn’t help himself. He really meant it.

Upon hearing his words, Donghae looked down.

“It’s just… talking of relationships always upset me” he answered after a while, his voice small. Hyukjae frowned.

“Why?”

Donghae exhaled heavily and Hyukjae almost regretted asking the question, when the brunet spoke.

“I…Well… I get hit on, it’s not like I don’t. It’s just… All of the boys I dated suddenly lost their interest in me when they got to know I’m blind” he chuckled bitterly and Hyukjae gasped.

“Are you serious?” the blond asked dumbfounded. Donghae only nodded.

“Yeah. I was in only one longer relationship. He tried. But in the end I was left alone, again”

Hyukjae shook his head disbelievingly.

“I can’t understand it. Why would they do that? I mean, I don’t know you but I can see you’re a lovely guy and… and you are handsome and sweet…”he ignored Donghae’s blush at his words and went on “I just can’t quite see any valid reason of dumping you”

“Well…” Donghae replied, having taken a sip of his latte “I guess it’s because they felt some huge responsibility, you know, of taking care of me. Which I don’t really get, because I can take care of myself perfectly well. I got used to it, it’s been ten years already” Hyukjae listened carefully when Donghae unintentionally answered his unspoken question about his condition “But I suppose the mere realization of having an incapacitated lover sounds too hard for them, like some heavy pressure was forced upon them and probably they just were afraid” he shrugged but Hyukjae couldn’t bring himself to react the same way.

“Afraid of what? I thought when you truly love someone you aren’t afraid of taking care of him” he reasoned and Donghae looked at his face with an unreadable expression.

“It’s easy to say but, unfortunately, harder to do” the brunet answered quietly before looking down again “Besides, it’s better if they left because the thing I can’t stand the most is the pity. I’d rather have them leave than stay with me just because they pitied me” he added with a small voice.

Hyukjae mentally slapped himself for making the brunet upset.

“I’m sorry” he said eventually “I’m sorry for bringing it up”

Donghae shook his head with a faint smile.

“It’s okay, don’t worry. I’m too sensitive in that matter, I’m sorry for turning so bitter” he replied with an apologetic smile. Hyukjae returned the gesture although he knew the other would not see it.

“Let’s talk about something more pleasurable, shall we?” he suggested and chuckled seeing an affirmative, fervent nod “So… What do you do in life, Donghae?”

Donghae giggled.

“I was expecting this question, to be honest. I’m a swimmer” he said and Hyukjae’s eyes widened.

“A swimmer? Like, swimmer swimmer?” he asked, shocked. Donghae nodded, amused with his reaction.

“Yes, it’s my profession” he answered. Hyukjae frowned.

“Then how come I’ve never heard about you? Your name doesn’t ring a bell…” he wondered.

“That’s understandable. I’m competing in the Olympic Games but not in the regular ones. As I’m blind I take part in the Paralympics” he explained and Hyukjae exclaimed loudly as a realization dawned on him.

“Ahh, that’s why! Now I see. I hardly ever watch it, it’s just… I hardly ever have time for the regular ones and… wow, I’ve lost so many opportunities to watch you” he said and Donghae blushed “Are you good?”

“Um…”

“Oh, you are good” Hyukjae smirked, basking in making the brunet flustered “How many times have you won?”

Donghae scratched his nape.

“About four… or… five times?” he mumbled and Hyukjae’s jaw dropped open.

“Man, I’ve been missing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter