Chapter 1

Fireworks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae wasn’t the type to believe in miracles or Christmas wishes. It was just too cliché for him and, as he hasn’t experienced any of these wonders that one met only in fairytales and movies (as Hyukjae deemed), he didn’t really have a reason to rely on them. Since few years he’s been spending Christmas alone. It wasn’t that he didn’t have a family or friends, he did have quite a loving and wonderful group of people that surrounded him. It was just that he was busy, very busy and lived too far away from his relatives, his job schedule allowing him only one or two days off at that time, his friends were spending Christmas with either their family or their lovers and, as Hyukjae didn’t have a lover he could spend that special day with, he was alone.

It didn’t bother him so much though. Christmas in Korea wasn’t that huge of a holiday after all. A nice evening at home, sitting on his favorite sofa, watching movies, eating chicken and drinking wine, with the faint, colorful lights of his little Christmas tree and the happy barking of his beloved dog, Choco, it was enough for him.

Until.

The Christmas of 2014 changed everything radically. And “radically” isn’t an exaggeration here.

It was 22th of December, few days before Christmas. As every afternoon he was walking Choco, safe in his warm jacket, hat and scarf as he smiled, the Christmas atmosphere making a rush of excitement spread in his veins. It was snowing, children were playing with the white fluff, screaming happily, running one after the other and Choco was barking to accompany their merry laughs. There were couples walking through the alley, holding hands, smiling at each other and Hyukjae’s lips stretched into a nostalgic smile on his own. Although he didn’t let himself think about it too often, he too wished for someone to stare at like this. To have someone he could take care of, come home to after a tiring day at work, someone who would simply bring more light into his life. It didn’t mean he was not happy. The thing was his life was like a puzzles lacking the one, only one element to compliment it.

That puzzle was a person. A person he hasn’t met yet and who happened to stroll the same park as him that memorable day.

A person he was to fall in love with.

His missing puzzle. 

But his missing puzzle was even more special. 

He wanted to see fireworks. 

And Hyukjae would make anything for his wish to come true.

*

Knowing his little dog would need to let go some of the never ending loads of energy Hyukjae let her run freely, not being bound by the leash and  he smiled watching her storming off not before sparing him a single glance, seeking permission. He gave it, of course, as he knew Choco would not run away from him nor attack anybody. He walked slowly, leash waving delicately in his hand as his feet took him thorough the park, following his dog’s much quicker steps, a soft smile on his lips.

“Hyukjae!” a voice behind his back startled him and he turned away, the smile widening upon seeing his best friend, Sungmin running in his direction.

“Hey! What are you doing here?” Hyukjae asked grinning, gums showing as he enveloped the ball of energy in his arms.

“Well, I wanted to wish you a merry Christmas before I left and since you weren’t home I figured out you’d be on a walk with Choco” the brunette boy answered and giggled as Hyukjae ruffled his hair.

“You could just call, you know?” Hyukjae teased though both of them knew he was touched by his friend’s behavior. And it didn’t mean he hadn’t been expecting it from Sungmin, the boy was the kindest human Hyukjae knew after all. And since himself was his best friend, the kindness towards him increased.

“It wouldn’t be the same, you know that” Sungmin shook his head “Besides, I have a present for you” he added nodding his head at the direction of a small package that was resting in his hand “it’s a bit late, you gave me one few days ago but – “

“Minnie, it’s okay. It doesn’t matter so much for me, you know that” Hyukjae smiled but Sungmin knew better. The sparkle in his friend’s eyes couldn’t be missed by his own attentive ones.

“Yeah, sure, now take it, I know you want to” he smirked handing Hyukjae the package and the other couldn’t hide his excitement anymore as he took it, ready to unwrap it but then Sungmin spoke again and his words had him suddenly alarmed.

“Wait, where’s Choco? You let her run, right? But I can’t see her anywhere” Sungmin said frowning.

Hyukjae’s head shot up and he started looking around, a package in his hands long forgotten. True to Sungmin’s words, there was no sign of his dog and he already could feel his heartbeat increasing significantly. He might be far too overprotective and too paranoid about Choco but she was so important for him, he couldn’t imagine the misery he would feel if he lost her.

“Hyuk, calm down, I’m sure she’s nearby. I would help you look for her but I have to come back, now, Sa Eun is already waiting for me and we have a flight in –“

“It’s okay Min, I understand. I’ll find her” Hyukjae assured, voice calm yet his eyes showed the panic he felt. The brunette looked at him apologetically, feeling bad for not being able to help his friend.

“I’m sorry” he said.  Hyukjae shook his head.

“Don’t worry, just go. Merry Christmas, Min” he hugged Sungmin warmly lifting the latter’s mood a bit “I promise I’ll send you a message when I find her”

“Okay. Merry Christmas, Hyuk” the brunette beamed happily as Hyukjae let him out of the strong embrace. The blonde nodded and turned away already taking few quick steps, a worry for Choco, together with adrenaline leading him.

“And Hyuk?” he stopped in his tracks and spun on his heels as his best friend called him once more “I still hope you’re not spending this day alone” Sungmin said with a somehow sad smile and then he was walking away. Hyukjae’s lips twitched a little but then he brushed it off and started running through the park, in search of his precious baby.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter