The Breakup

The Other Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What do I wear?" Bom asked for the nth time, holding a black dress to her body and examining herself critically in the mirror while Chaerin rolled around in a bored manner on her bed.

"How about that one?" Chaerin pointed to the one Bom was holding, getting tired of her friend's indecisiveness.

"Too black." Bom commented, hanging it back in her closet. Chaerin let out a sigh of exasperation. When it came to Lay, Bom was a school girl all over again.

It had been 2 years ever since that fateful night-as Bom liked to call it-when Bom went in Chaerin's place for her blind date and met Lay. Ever since then, Bom had been floating in the clouds and blissfully in love with the man. He was just so...perfect. He was devastatingly good-looking, even more so when he smiled and his dimples showed. He was the very definition of a gentleman, always treating her with the utmost respect. He was the CEO at his own company and a prominent entrepreneur in his own right.

He was an amazing kisser. That was a special bonus.

"He's not going to care what you wear, Bom."

"But I have to look good for him!" She argued, holding another dress to herself. "He's been so busy lately and this is the first time I'm seeing him after forever!"

For some reason, Lay had been awfully swamped lately. He didn't answer her sometimes when she called, and when he did it was for but a few fleeting minutes. He canceled the plans they made together at the last minute, and when she asked him what was going on he just answered that he was very busy with work. She didn't see him for weeks until he called her the other day and made plans with her for dinner. It went without saying that Bom was over the roof.

"I'm feeling it, Chaerin."

"Feeling what."

"Tonight is the night."

Chaerin's brows quirked up in wonder.

"You're going to sleep with him?"

"No silly!" Bom's face turned red. "Tonight's the night he proposes to me!"

Chaerin's brows furrowed in skepticism.

"How do you know?"

"Well after not seeing me for weeks he must have realized that his life isn't complete without me and that we are destined to be together forever!" Bom declared, putting a hand to her forehead for effect.

Chaerin's eyes narrowed at her best friend. Why would the man suddenly propose out of the blue after not seeing her for weeks? It just didn't make sense. Chaerin even had the inkling that Lay was going to...But she cut out the thought when she laid her eyes on her bustling best friend. The woman had always been a hopeless romantic despite having her fair share of failed relationships, and in a sense Chaerin admired that she didn't lose her spark even when another relationship failed. Who was Chaerin to burst Bom's bubble?

And so she kept what she thought to herself and watched her friend practically jumping up and down in excitement as she got ready.

"I'll go with this one." Bom finally decided on a red dress with a small bow tied in front. "Mark my words: by the end of tonight, I will be an engaged woman."

-----------------------------------------------

She walked into the restaurant, the same restaurant where they first met. She smiled to herself at the memory.

"So you're here for your friend?" He inquired, amused.

"Deh." She answered, her head lowered demurely. Her heart was beating fast, and her hands fidgeted in her lap. She started to wonder if she looked too plain, if she looked too commonplace in such a high class restaurant, if she looked too homely in his eyes.

"You're a good friend. She's lucky to have a friend like you."

She looked up at his gentle words. She rarely heard things like that directed at her.

What was this strange feeling stirring inside her stomach?

"Thank you." She smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Let's toast." He lifted the glass of champagne. "To good friends." He smiled, a sight that surely would be occupying her dreams that night. Oh lord how could someone be so perfect?

"To good friends." She clinked her glass against his, yet somehow as she raised the glass up to her lips her hand slipped and the next thing she knew there was a giant red stain of wine on her white dress. "Oh !"  As a cherry on top, an obscene word slipped past . As soon as it flew out, she covered and wanted to disappear when people at other tables started snickering at her.

"Excuse me." Without even looking at him, she ran straight to the bathroom. When she was inside, she started smacking her head and wanted to cry over how stupid she must have looked in front of him. He probably was thinking how clumsy she was and how uneducated she was cursing in public like that.

Great job Park Bom, she told herself sarcastically. You just succeeded in turning the perfect guy away. Groaning, she took some tissues and tried to wipe the red stain out of her dress. It literally looked like somebody had a period on her dress no matter how hard she tried.

Sighing in resignation, she braced herself and went outside. She dragged her feet and looked in the direction of their table to see that he wasn't there anymore. Figured, she thought defeatedly, any sane guy would have run away the moment it happened.

"Bom-sshi?" She turned around at the voice, and there he was! "I know a good dry cleaning place. I can take you there."

Was she dreaming right now? "Oh...deh. Thank you."

Suddenly, he leaned in close to her. His breathing tickled her ear and sent her heart into a frenzy.

"I personally think you look great with the red stain though."

The memory always succeeded in making her giggle like a mad woman. That was just how deep in love she was.

She followed the receptionist inside the restaurant, examining the interior as she did. Not much had changed; the high-class ambience and expensive vibe were still there. She noted that they replaced the light fixtures, and that the shapes of the wood tables looked a little different. The tablecloths were now black, adding a sense of mystery to the space.

She snapped out of her daydreaming when she finally reached the table Lay was sitting at. He looked drop-dead handsome in a simple blue suit, and his hair-despite being a little tousled-made her want to run her hand through his locks.

She mentally checked to see how she looked before sitting down across from him. He looked up and smiled faintly when he saw her.

"You're here." He said, and she realized how much she had missed his voice.

"Lay," A wide smile spread across her face as she looked at him. "I..."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter