Prologue

The Other Woman
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The hospital room was filled with chaos. Doctors were crowded around the bed in the middle while nurses scurried to assist them and check the patient's vitals. A woman was lying on the bed, wailing and gripping the edge of the bed so hard her knuckles were turning white. Meanwhile, a man standing outside was pacing back and forth in a frantic manner, occasionally biting his nails as he darted glances inside the room. 

"Push!" One of the doctor yelled, motivating the woman right in front. The woman only cried in response as another wave of excruciating pain came over her. Somehow the delivery process was harder than anticipated, and some of the other doctors had to come in. "Deep breath and push!"

The woman panted frantically, trying to get her breath in between the pain as she continued to push, feeling as if a piece of herself was breaking everytime she did so. 

"I see it! I see the head!" The doctor yelled, inspecting her womanhood. "Come on!"

"Doctor!" A nurse warned. "Her vitals are dropping!"

The doctor looked at the machine, at the digital numbers slowly dropping. Then she looked back at the woman, whose push was getting weaker and weaker.

"Stabilize her!" The doctor commanded, and returned to motivating the woman. "Don't give up on me now. Push!"

The woman let out a piercing cry, before she fainted from exhaustion. Moments later, the doctor's head emerged from under the woman's legs, her arms cradling a wailing baby. The doctor handed the baby over to the nurse, who carefully wrapped it in a towel. 

"Strange." The doctor wondered as she slowly inspected the woman. "Where's the other one?" 

"What do you mean doctor?"

"Well..." The doctor removed her gloves as she grabbed the patient's chart. "It says here she has fraternal twins. Only one came out though."

"You don't think..."

"No. Even if she miscarried it..." The doctor took one look back at the woman. "It would still have came out." 

"That is strange." Another doctor was in the room said. "What gender is that one?"

"A boy." The nurse answered, gently holding the baby. 

"For now put him in the nursery. You know the drill." The main doctor said, dishing out a "good job" before going out of the room. The man who was pacing outside immediately confronted her, his face worried and his voice stuttering. 

"How did it go, doctor?"

"Congratulations, it's a boy." The doctor replied. "Your wife fainted from exhaustion. She should be fine after some rest."

"Wait...what about the other one?"

"Well only a boy came out." The doctor spoke, carefully examining the man. "Are you sure your wife have twins?" 

"I'm sure. I took her to the ultrasound." 

"We'll see." The doctor assured. "For now your wife's safe, and your son is perfectly healthy. Go see him before the nurse takes him to the nursery."

"Thank you."

As the man frantically rushed inside, the doctor pondered over the puzzling problem. She had twins, but only one came out. It wasn't a miscarriage either. Could it be...

No. That was absurd. She shook it off as she walked back to her office. There must have been a mistake. 

 

 

"Who's a good boy?" The nurse cooed, one hand holding the boy's diaper. The baby laying on the bed before her babbled, on his knuckles. "That's right. You!" She gently touched the boy's nose. The baby was very cute. He had distinct features, and even as a baby she could tell he was going to be a looker when he grew up. 

 "All right be still. Imma put a diaper on ya." The nurse gently grabbed the towel wrapped around the boy, but not before the boy let out a small sneeze. "Did you just sneezed? Aigoo." Even his sneeze is cute. 

The nurse smiled and pulled the towel down, only to gasp in shock at what she saw.

"Doctor!" She ran, the baby in her arms. "Doctor! Look at this!" She said once she bursted through the office doors.

"What is it?" The doctor inquired, confusion on her face. 

"Look!" The nurse handed the baby over. "He turned into a girl!"

The doctor's mouth dropped and she quickly pulled the towel down to inspect his reproductive organ. 

It wasn't there! She saw a female reproductive organ instead!

"This is impossible!" The doctor said, carefully inspecting the baby. "Did he sneezed?"

The nurse only nodded, confirming the doctor's suspicion. For a moment they stood there dumbstruck, staring at the baby as it peacefully drifted off to sleep. 

 

 

"I think you two should sit down." The doctor said, motioning to the chairs before her. The couple willingly sat down, the baby cradled in his mother's arms. There were inquiry written on both of their faces, and the doctor didn't know how they would take the news. 

"Doctor I thought I had twins?" The woman asked, worry on her face. "Why did only one come out?"

"Well," The doctor began. "You see..." 

The couple stared at the doctor, who was trying to find words to adequately explain the bizzare situation. 

"You see...your son is both a male and a female." She said, and immediately silence ensued. The couple stared back with dumbstruck faces. 

"Pardon?"

"I'm sorry I can't really explain this well. It's the first time I have encountered it." The doctor took off her glasses. "There's a rare medical condition concerning fraternal twins. Very rare. Only 2 cases of this condition have been reported in history. Your son has that condition."

"Condition? What condition?" The man inquired, worry written on his face. 

"During the pregnancy, one embryo merged into the other. In your case it was the female embryo who merged into the male." The doctor explained. "It's still unexplained why the merge happens, but basically the result is...that your baby can switch between es. You could say he's two people rolled into one."

"What..." The couple looked at each other in utter confusion before looking at their son, who was gleefully flagging his small hands about. Part of them couldn't believe what the doctor was saying, but at the same time it was the doctor who was saying it and not just some random person on the street. Also that was probably the only explanation  why only the boy came out and not his twin. 

"Congrats. You have twins in the form of one."

------------------------------------------------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter