#04

to become a king
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

#04

family.

 

“Wow, I’ve never seen you this happy in the mornings,” are the words Jongin is greeted with when he steps into the dining room, Luhan and Jongdae already sitting there and waiting for the Royal Couple to join them for breakfast.

“Must have gotten laid last night,” Jongdae says, grinning like the Cheshire Cat and earning himself a slap to the back of his head by an appalled Luhan while Sehun just freezes, not moving until Jongin tugs at his hand to have him sit down.

“We did not do anything last night,” Sehun says, voice firm but the pinkish hue on his cheeks defy his words. It makes Jongdae whistle at first before he winces. Jongin, sitting opposite of Jongdae, has kicked him in the shins, not wanting Sehun all cranky in the morning. It has been bad enough when some servants came in to clean the bedroom while they were on their way out. His betrothed one has complained about the lack of privacy, insisting on themselves taking care of cleaning their room, to wash their stained bed sheets and clothes. Of course Jongin won’t give in, no matter how much Sehun insists, and not even with Sehun offering to take care of the cleaning all by himself. There are more important things to do for the Royals, such as checking the country’s finances and deciding on a budget for the next year. Jongin is having a headache with those and he would like Sehun to assist him in those matters more.

“Stop teasing him already,” Luhan chides, cooing at a sulking Sehun. Cute, Jongin thinks while he butters Sehun’s toast, knowing the boy likes to have a slice of toast with sweet strawberry jam first before he will down a cup of milk.

“Sorry,” Jongdae apologizes. It sounds half-hearted but it’s enough to appease Sehun. The Prince softens up, his pout disappearing as he sinks back in the chair, mouth opening when Jongin holds up the toast to his lips.

“Thank you,” Sehun mumbles, a tiny smile on his face as he takes a bite, hands taking the toast from Jongin who starts eating as well.

They have breakfast in silence, everyone munching on their food. It is peaceful like that, but as always, peace doesn’t last long in this household. It’s never been really peaceful ever since Sehun joined, but Jongin doesn’t mind too much. It is refreshing, even if he could do without the quarrels and arguments. It is exhausting to fight; he prefers to kiss and cuddle with Sehun instead.

Today they are not fighting though, despite Jongin having expected that after last night. He can sense how stiff and awkward Sehun is now, especially with people around who can easily tell that something must have happened between the Crown Prince and his spouse, but something more urgent, more important is happening that makes Sehun ignore Jongdae’s next comment that is dripping with ual innuendo.

“,” Luhan curses suddenly and everyone’s eyes widen, staring at the lady who hasn’t cursed ever since she returned from her studies abroad to reappear as the picture perfect lady of high ranks.

“Are you okay, darling?” Jongdae asks, worry apparent in his voice.

“I need to get to the hospital,” Luhan says, her face paling. “My water broke.”

There is a second of silence before panic erupts, mostly caused by Jongdae who is shouting for people to come and help. Jongin and Sehun are unmoving, both shocked and rather helpless as they watch Jongdae and a servant helping Luhan get up and walk.

“Aren’t you coming, too?” Jongdae shouts at them and only then do they get up to hurry along, rushing outside where a car has been called and is already waiting.





The ride to the hospital has been exhausting, but waiting in the hospital for what feels like hours is just as stressful. Jongin should have stayed behind at the palace to get some work done, though he is unsure if he can focus when his best friend is giving birth. There is always a chance that something goes wrong, so Jongin can’t help but imagine the worst scenarios to happen. It’s good that he has Sehun sitting next to him, Sehun’s head a heavy weight against his shoulder that is very welcomed as it keeps him anchored or else he might go crazy with the sight of Jongdae pacing in front of them.

“Calm down, hyung,” Sehun says. “Noona will be fine.” Sehun is probably the clamest among all three of them.

“But the child’s supposed to come in a week, not today,” Jongdae says and judging by his tone and how pale he is, he is close to faint. Luckily, in exactly that moment the doctor appears, a wide smile on his face.

“Congratulations, Mr. Kim Jongdae. You are now parent to a healthy son. Your wife is currently resting and your son is washed and taken care of. You can go see both mother and son in a while.”



Please Subscribe to read the full chapter