Soft Spot

Soft Spot

A pair of eyes opened. Kyungsoo stirred in his bed for a moment before looking at his desk clock. Quarter after eight. He shut his eyes.

 

It was one of the rare days off for the group. No photoshoots, no filming, no performances, no fansignings, no nothing. Just the cold weather, cozy bed and warm blanket. So, Kyungsoo decided to sleep a little longer. He was sure that the others were doing the same too. After all, waking up late on their day off was just they needed after a long tiring concert tour.

 

Instead of sleeping, Kyungsoo ended up staring at the ceiling. Thoughts filled his mind. It was almost three years since he and his fellow members debuted in EXO. During these three years, they had faced lots and lots of things. Both sweet and bitter things. 2014 might be the best and worst year for EXO, he thought.

 

It was the best year yet because they had their first concert tour, The Lost Planet. It was a dream came true. They performed their songs proudly in front of thousands of Korean EXO-L. It touched Kyungsoo how the fans sang along to their slow songs in unison and cheered for them loudly when they performed their upbeat songs with hands that were never tired of holding the light stick. The fans had given them so much, Kyungsoo wanted to repay them so much more. So, he sang. He sang wholeheartedly for the fans. They also travelled to many countries to meet and perform for their overseas fans. The fans outside of South Korea were as passionate as Korean fans. It proved to him that language was never a barrier for music, for love. Seeing his banners and placards during their concerts made him so grateful inside. No words could describe his feelings. He wanted to hug every of fans and personally say thank you if he could. He knew he couldn't so he sincerely wished for the happiness of each fan in his heart.

 

On the other hand, 2014 might be the worst year for EXO yet because in just a year, they had lost two members. From twelve members to ten. Kris nullified his contract with their entertainment company only few days before they had their first concert in Seoul, leaving the members in shock and making huge ruckus among fans. Luhan followed suit only few months after that. Kyungsoo shut his eyes. He was disappointed obviously, the others were too, but he knew that they, the remaining members, needed to move on. The two might had the solid reason to do so and stopping them would be useless, therefore, Kyungsoo respected their decisions and moved on. That was why Kyungsoo told the remaining members and the fans that it was the beginning of EXO. It was like they were being reborn, renewed. They won't let such thing to bring the group down. Kyungsoo won't let it bring the group down.

 

He opened his eyes again and a sigh escaped his mouth. He wished that 2014 would end quickly so that they could have a new start and new strength in the new year. He promised he would work twice as hard so that the fans won't longer see the void in the group. "Time will heal. Time heals almost everything," he muttered to himself and got up from his bed.

 

Kyungsoo went to the washroom with a yawn. He headed to the washbowl and looked at his reflection in the mirror. His face was bloated. I should never eat anything after ten, he thought. Kyungsoo grabbed his black coloured toothbrush and rinsed it with water. He was reaching for his toothpaste tube when suddenly he stopped, eyes all widened. He examined his toothpaste tube carefully.

 

All of the members had their own toothpaste. They might have the same toothpaste brand but different flavours or totally different brands. Junmyeon was a loyal Colgate user though he never stayed with a particular flavour. Baekhyun used Sensodyne. Jongin and Sehun surprisingly shared the same toothpaste and changed the brands and flavours from time to time. They even bought seaweed flavour toothpaste recently which made Kyungsoo stared in horror when they showed it to him. Chanyeol used Darlie just because the teeth of the logo man reminded him of his own teeth. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo had always been using Colgate Total Mint Clean.

 

The recollections of the toothpastes happened because something outrageous just happened to Kyungsoo's toothpaste. He was hundred percent sure that his toothpaste tube had half of the original volume left when he last brushed his teeth last night. But now, it looked like it just had been out by unknown force. It was almost as flat as a paper. Kyungsoo grabbed it with shaky hand, eyes widened to their maximum. Who would do such terrible thing?

 

"Good morning, Kyungsoo!" A familiar deep yet cherry voice greeted him.

 

Still holding the tube in his hand, Kyungsoo turned to look at the owner of the voice. A happy face with a bright smile appeared. "Chanyeol. My toothpaste." He held up the tube.

 

"Oh?" Chanyeol's mouth formed an O shape. "I forgot to tell you last night that I used your toothpaste because mine ran out. And I used them again this morning." He chirped without a sense of guilt, overlooking the glare Kyungsoo was sending him.

 

Kyungsoo's lips twitched. He could understand Chanyeol's reason but did he really need to use the entire tube? "And you used all of it?" He deadpanned. He felt like screaming.

 

"Well, yeah! You know I brush my teeth thrice in a row. Look how shiny my teeth are!" Chanyeol flashed his white teeth innocently and Kyungsoo had to control himself from punching the hell out of the lanky male.

 

"You-"

 

"Your toothpaste is the best, Kyungsoo! You rock!" He did that Sailormoon's pose with both of his hands before leaving immediately.

 

Kyungsoo held the sides of the washbowl, trying to control his anger. Okay. His morning didn't start off that well. It's okay, it'll be better, he told himself. But when his eyes spotted the only available toothpaste in the washroom - seaweed flavoured toothpaste - he wanted to jump off a cliff.

 


 

After making his bed, Kyungsoo changed into his casual black clothes and headed out his room. He passed by the living room and noticed no one was there. He looked at the clock above the television. It was half after nine. Usually during this time of days off, the youngest members would have woken up, played Xbox and won't stop bickering about every single game. But Jongin and Sehun were nowhere to be seen. Maybe they're still sleeping, he thought. Kyungsoo shrugged and walked towards the kitchen.

 

He almost rolled his eyes when he saw a familiar tall figure in the kitchen. From the look of it, Chanyeol was making food. Kyungsoo didn't bother to ask. He was still not over his toothpaste. It's cool, I'm not mad. I'm cool, he chanted in his head. He went straight to the fridge and took out a carton of chocolate milk. He poured it into a mug given by a fan which had his picture imprinted on it.

 

"Hey, Kyungsoo, you hungry?" Chanyeol asked without looking at him, still busy making his food.

 

Kyungsoo took a sip of the cold milk. "That goes without saying." His stomach grumbled.

 

Chanyeol broke into a series of laughter and mumbled something like why so serious. Kyungsoo didn't know how this friend of his could laugh even at the simplest thing. Maybe Chanyeol was a sad and deep person inside or maybe he was just weird and stupid. Kyungsoo placed all of his bet on the latter one.

 

"Tadah!" Chanyeol placed a plate of sandwiches on the dining table and made a gesture with his two hands. "I call this, Park Chanyeol's Special Sandwiches." With proud look, he made a gesture in the air, probably making himself a caption like they did in variety shows.

 

"They're egg mayo sandwiches." Kyungsoo deadpanned, taking another sip of his chocolate milk. The sandwiches were nothing out of the ordinary but at least they appeared edible. He gave Chanyeol credits for that.

 

Chanyeol's shoulders sagged almost immediately. "You're no fun at all." He took off his apron and hung it nicely on one of the handy hooks in the kitchen. He pulled out a chair for Kyungsoo. "Please take a seat, sir," he imitated the voice of one of the waiters in the Chinese restaurant where the group go sometimes to have hot pots.

 

Kyungsoo snorted but was pleased. He placed his mug on the table and sat down on the chair. "Thanks."

 

Chanyeol sat on the chair across the table so they were facing each other. "Well, what are you waiting for? Dig in!"

 

Kyungsoo looked at his tall friend, then at the sandwiches and back at Chanyeol. He wore a worried expression. "Are you sure this isn't poisonous, Chanyeol?" Because Kyungsoo could vividly remember the last time Chanyeol made food, all of them got stomachache, they had to fight for the toilet.

 

"I'm hundred percent sure of it!" Chanyeol exclaimed confidently.

 

Kyungsoo was even suspicious by then but his hungriness took over. He was hungry and he was served with a plate of sandwiches without him doing anything. So be it. "Okay. I'll eat them well." He took one of the sandwiches and cautiously took a bite. The taste of egg mayo spread inside his mouth as he chewed. "Not bad," he commented.

 

"I know right?" Chanyeol grinned from ear to ear and then ate a sandwich himself.

 

Chanyeol told him the whereabouts of the others. Junmyeon and Sehun went out for shopping, probably with Tao as well. Jongin met up with his bestie, Taemin. Meanwhile, Baekhyun went to see you-know-who. So, Kyungsoo was stuck alone with the giant pole in the house. The lanky male suggested that they should go to watch 'Cart', the movie Kyungsoo acted in recently. Kyungsoo rejected the idea instantly, saying that they'd already watched it twice since the movie was released. He was sure that Chanyeol would make fun of every scene he appeared in if they watched it for the third time.

 

It was down to the last two sandwiches. Kyungsoo took one of them and was going to shove it right into his mouth when suddenly he froze. He hated it when he froze like that because that meant something was wrong. He took a good look at the sandwich. He swallowed the water inside his mouth. "Err, Chanyeol?"

 

Chanyeol already stuffed the last sandwich inside his mouth. "What?" He mumbled as he chewed his food.

 

"Did you look at the expire date before you make these?" Kyungsoo questioned with wide eyes. When Chanyeol shook his head earnestly, Kyungsoo showed him the sandwich in his hand. "Do these look like molds to you?" he asked seriously. There were these pale green patches on the top bread. Chanyeol stopped chewing and turned pale. , Kyungsoo swore in his head.

 

Kyungsoo placed the sandwich back on the plate and searched frantically for the packaging plastic of the breads. He found it in the rubbish bin. He read the expire date on the tag. "Fifteenth December 2014." Kyungsoo stood up and brought his eyes to meet Chanyeol's. He held up the tag. "That's three days ago, Chanyeol." Kyungsoo could already see the consequence of this 'special' breakfast. He already ate three sandwiches. The outcome won't be pretty.

 

Chanyeol swallowed the last bit of his sandwich before scratching his cheek awkwardly. "Oops?"

 

An hour after that, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol took turn going to the toilet.

 


 

Kyungsoo didn't go out for the rest of day after the breakfast incident, neither did Chanyeol. Instead of cooking, he ordered takeout - jjajangmyeon for lunch and curry ramen for dinner. Despite of being pissed off, he ordered for Chanyeol as well. He couldn't take the risk of the giant pole making food again, they might end up being hospitalized. Besides, Chanyeol only stopped apologizing when there was food in his mouth.

 

It was almost ten p.m. After his warm shower, Kyungsoo lied in his bed with a rather full stomach after his dinner earlier. He decided to order curry ramen again when they had days off. He also mentally reminded himself to tell Chanyeol to read the expire date for breads on the tag if he ever going to make his special sandwiches again.

 

He heard Junmyeon's voice in the living room whom just got back, Kyungsoo supposed, complaining why he had to pay for Sehun's and Tao's stuffs. Sehun's laughter filled the house. Kyungsoo snorted. Junmyeon always complained about the same thing but he would still pay for them. He had terrible soft spots for the two. As for Jongin and Baekhyun, he hadn't seen them all day long. He understood Baekhyun's situation. That guy had one of the most desirable girls in South Korea, his ideal girl, as his girlfriend. Of course Baekhyun would want to spend the entire day with her. But Kyungsoo was sure he would back before midnight.

 

Kyungsoo was curious about Jongin though. He knew that Jongin and Taemin was the best of friends but there might be something more going on between the two. They were once caught on camera by Dispatch which was the major leaker of relationships going on between celebrities. Why would Dispatch take photos of the two if they didn't want some juicy stuff from it? Kyungsoo didn't know. Whatever it was, Kyungsoo wished the same age friends the best. He smacked his face at the ridiculous-but-possible thought. Are you even listening to yourself, Do Kyungsoo?

 

A day off is never enough, Kyungsoo decided. All he needed now was a good long sleep before he indulged himself in the group’s hectic schedule tomorrow. He stared at the ceiling like he did in the morning and the same thoughts flooded his head once more. His eyelids were getting heavier. He was almost asleep before someone uninvited barged into his room.

 

"Kyungsoo!"

 

Eyes closed, Kyungsoo frowned. He didn't have to open his eyes to see the owner of the voice. He let out a sigh and opened his eyes. He glared at the intruder. "What on earth do you want, Chanyeol?" Will Park Chanyeol ever leave him alone?

 

Without replying the question, Chanyeol threw his body onto Kyungsoo's bed. "Yah, your bed is the best!" He rolled his body right and left.

 

Seriously bewildered and annoyed, Kyungsoo sat up straight on his bed. "Get out, Chanyeol." He kicked the tall male off his bed, not even feeling apologetic when Chanyeol whimpered. "Go to your room and sleep in your own bed."

 

Kyungsoo plopped back onto his bed and completely wrapped himself with his blanket. Sometimes the giant pole would come to his room to play games and eventually sleep in Kyungsoo's bed which he didn't mind. The truth was Kyungsoo was actually still mad about the toothpaste and the breakfast. It was better if Chanyeol didn't bug him for the night. But Chanyeol never tried to read the situation.

 

"Stingy brat." Chanyeol said to himself.

 

"I heard that." But Kyungsoo didn't see the face Chanyeol made at him.

 

Instead of leaving, the lanky male daringly climbed back onto the bed and lied on the empty side of the it. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He didn't want to waste his energy on Chanyeol anymore.

 

Silence fell but it lasted only for a few minutes.

 

"Kyungsoo."

 

Kyungsoo's ear perked up.

 

"Kyungsoo." The same voice cooed again.

 

Kyungsoo pinched his eyebrows together.

 

"Kyungsoo."

 

Frowning, Kyungsoo turned his side to face Chanyeol. Was it too much to ask for a peaceful sleep? "What do you want now?"

 

"I'm cold." Chanyeol had his arms folded tightly against his chest, lips turning blue. His breathing was quick and short.

 

Kyungsoo heaved a sigh. Somehow Chanyeol always manage to find a way to make him feel guilty, even when it wasn't his fault in the first place. He looked at Chanyeol again and sighed again, wondering how he befriended the idiot. Kyungsoo moved closer to the lanky male and when he was close enough, he threw his blanket over Chanyeol so it would cover him. "Better?" He asked reluctantly. He didn't want to sound too concerned.

 

Overwhelmed by the act of kindness, Chanyeol's face warmed despite of being almost frozen. "Hmm." He could only respond that much. His voice was stuck at the back of his throat.

 

Kyungsoo grew even concerned when his hand brushed against Chanyeol's. It was cold. He could even feel the boy shivering. An idea crossed Kyungsoo's mind almost instantly. Hell no. He couldn't believe that he just thought of sharing his body heat with Chanyeol. Oh god, am I really going to do this? Kyungsoo battled his inner thought and sighed. Defeated by his own thought, he closed the remaining distance between his body and Chanyeol's, tucking the top of his head under Chanyeol's chin while questioning his own action.

 

Eyes widened, Chanyeol turned rigid. He tried to look at Kyungsoo but all he could see was the top of the boy's head. "Kyungsoo?"

 

"Don't. Say. Anything." Kyungsoo emphasized each word. He was thankful that Chanyeol couldn't see his face right now because he was blushing like mad. What the hell am I doing? After all the toothpaste and breakfast incidents or in other words, Park Chanyeol ruining Do Kyungsoo's day off, he still cared for this friend of his. If Junmyeon had soft spots for Sehun and Tao, then Kyungsoo had soft spot for Chanyeol. After all, Chanyeol was his best friend.

 

Chanyeol's heart fluttered so much, he needed to bite his lower lip to refrain himself from smiling. Kyungsoo might look distant and cold but Chanyeol knew that his friend wasn't like that. Kyungsoo was a really warm person inside. Literally, Kyungsoo was warm too. So warm that it made Chanyeol want to envelope the smaller male in his arms to feel the heat linger all over his body. He swallowed hard. Would Kyungsoo get mad at him if he did so? There was only one way to know.

 

It was Kyungsoo's turn to freeze when a pair of long arms s around his neck, crushing his face against Chanyeol's chest. "What the hell?" He tried to escape but the giant pole held him tighter. He could feel the uneven beating of Chanyeol's heart.

 

Chanyeol took the advantage to smile widely as Kyungsoo couldn't see his face. "It's warmer this way. As expected, Do Kyungsoo is so warm."

 

It was warmer indeed and so was Kyungsoo's face. He stopped struggling eventually and a sigh left his mouth. He gave up. It was useless to argue with the lanky male. Park Chanyeol never listened. "I hate you." Kyungsoo mumbled. He could feel and even hear Chanyeol's uneven heartbeat clearer now. Strange enough, his heart beat the same way.

 

"No, you don't." Chanyeol's giggles vibrated against Kyungsoo's body. Eyes fluttered close, he sighed in content. "Now that I got all the warmth I need, I'll sleep like a baby until morning."

 

Kyungsoo snorted. "You're a such sap."

 

Not even slightly affected, the lanky male just hugged Kyungsoo closer, if possible. "I'll sleep here every night."

 

"And a total idiot." Kyungsoo held back a smile.

 

Kyungsoo had every reason to hate Chanyeol.

 

But Kyungsoo decided that he didn't hate Chanyeol.

 

"Park Chanyeol, I can't ing breathe!"

 

Okay, maybe a bit.

 


 

Okay. This might be my favourite oneshot of mine yet lmao look at me I'm so conceited.

2014 has been a difficult year not only Kpop but generally. I hope everyone is alright.

And for Chansoo, 2014 is ChanSoo year and I hope in 2015, they'll stay just the same.

Romantically or not, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are always the best of friends. Always.

Oh and I hope every Chansoo shippers will read this -> An Introduction to ChanSoo

It got everything you need to know about ChanSoo. Seriously. Everything.

Until next time. Happy holidays and Happy New Year!