Chapter 1

Don't Swallow The Cap

Jungkook shifted the strap of his messager bag on his shoulder as he entered the bighit company building, keeping his head down as he walked down the halls, not making eye contact with the other trainees, while the majority of them were nice, others were not as friendly, due to stress, lack of sleep or overworking themselves too much and Jungkook would rather keep out of everyone's way, instead he practiced everyday when he could, trying not to let school get in the way and at the same time trying to keep up his grades.

He was sixteen and not the first teenager to be a trainee at bighit, but he was determined to stand out, work hard and actually make it to debut and it seemed to be paying off. The reason for his presence at big hit was to meet the group he would be assigned to, he had been scheduled to meet them earlier, but was forced to cancel when his final exams started. Later he was informed that the rest of the members had gone ahead with the meet despite Jungkook's absence and he could only imagine the impression that gave the elder members, they probably thought he was disrespectful or that he wasn't taking any of this seriously, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Jungkook had arranged a meeting with the group as soon as his exams were over. He had hurriedly changed out of his school uniform and had gotten to the company as quickly as he could and now he was standing in front of the door to the practice room, gripping his shoulder strap so tightly that the fabric bit into his skin, Jungkook took a deep breath, he wasn't sure why he was so nervous, maybe it was because not only were they all older, but more experienced, from what the manager had told him, they were mostly rappers, one had gone to dance school and while the another one hadn't, he was still a very talented dancer. Jungkook felt somewhat intimidated, he wasn't a rapper and  hadn't gone to dance school, he was confident in his singing voice, but what purpose would that serve in a group that mostly rapped?

Jungkook ignored that thought and slowly let go of his strap, felxing his aching fingers, he began to reach for the door knob when he heard voices from the inside of the room, he couldn't make out what they said, the words too muffled. His hand froze and he just listened, the voices probably belonged to the other members. The sound began to rise and Jungkook could hear someone say "idiot" and then laughter breaking out, there was another voice muffled and then the sound of something hitting the wall and more laughter. Jungkook took a deep breath, not seeing the point of standing in the hallway any longer and not wanting to get caught by one of the members if they unexpectedly opened the door and their impression of him would get worse, but he was unsure what to do,  should he knock or just walk in? after all it was a practice room. Taking another calming breath, Jungkook reached out again and pulled open the door and entered before he could stop himself. The first thing he noticed when he entered was the silence, dread settled in his stomach, he bowed. 

"My name is Jeon Jungkook, I look forward to working with you, please take care of me." He introduced himself respectfully. When he straightened, he got a look at the members, there were five in total, all of them scattered around the room, some sitting against the mirrors, some standing. The man closest to him had black hair, the front of his hair laid flat and the back stuck up, almost as if he had been running his hands through it, it looked surprisingly stylish, he had black sunglasses tucked into the pocket of his black basketball shorts. He smiled at Jungkook kindly. 

"I'm Kim Namjoon, I look forward to working with you too." He said, then he frowned and turned to look at the brown haired man slumped against the mirrors. "Should I also introduce myself as Rapmonster?" 

The man shrugged. "Why are you asking me? I don't know, do whatever." He replied. 

When he spoke it attracted Jungkook's attention and he looked over at the older male, his mouth went dry and he could feel his face heating up. The brown haired boy was one of the most beautiful men Jungkook had ever seen. He was pale and his brown hair laid perfectly on his head, covered by a snapback and he had pink plump lips that the teenager couldn't take his eyes off once he saw them, the man wore a bored expression, he was leaned against both the mirror behind him and the black haired boy next to him that had chubby cheeks, but Jungkook didn't pay any attention to him, his eyes glued to  the man that excluded an air of superiority. It wasn't until their eyes met that Jungkook realized he had been staring, he blushed darker and looked away, embarrassed. Great, the beautiful man probably thought he was a total weirdo. 

"Anyway, I'm Kim Seokjin, but I go by Jin." Another brown haired man introduced from next to Namjoon. Jungkook startled slightly, so caught up in his thoughts and embarrassment, but he hid the startle well, determined not to make a bigger fool of himself than he already had, he nodded to Jin, bowing again. 

One by one they introduced themselves. Jung Hoseok was the one standing in front of the mirror, his hair was a shade lighter than the other two brown haired men, from the way he occasionally broke out in dance, Jungkook suspected he was the one that went to dance academy. He seemed kind, grinning widely at Jungkook and saying he wanted to go by J-hope. The one sitting besides the beautiful man was Park Jimin, Jungkook could tell that while Jimin was older than him, he was still apart of the maknae line. Jimin had black hair and chubby cheeks, but from the definition in his legs and arms Jungkook could tell his body was probably very toned, Jimin was probably the other dancer. The last to introduce himself was Min Yoongi, who raised his hand lazily and called out his name as if he was in class and the teacher was taking attendance.

Min Yoongi, that was the breath taking man's name, even that name was the cutest name Jungkook had ever heard, maybe he was exaggerating, but he didn't care. Jungkook flushed again and looked away from Yoongi, thinking it was best if he kept his eyes off the elder male.

"I apologize for missing the meeting, I had exams, I would've been there if I could." Jungkook said, he was surprised when Namjoon slapped his shoulder and shook him playfully.

"Don't worry about it, we might not even be fully together yet, the manger told us there could possibly be another member." Namjoon told him. 

Jungkook blinked. "Another member?" He repeated, he hadn't been informed of that, he had been told there would be 6 members in the group, he bit his lip nervously, was the new member a rapper? A dancer? Whatever he was, he was probably going to be more experienced than Jungkook.

"Also, since we met, the manger told us we'd be moving into the dorms today." Namjoon continued. 

"What? Now?"  Jungkook asked.

Namjoon shrugged. "I don't see why not, all our boxes have been moved there, so we might as well go and unpack." He let his hand slip off Jungkook's shoulder and reached into his pocket, putting on his sunglasses, he turned and exited the practice room. Jin and Hoseok followed after him as Jimin help Yoongi to his feet, the older of the two grumbling about moving, as they passed Jungkook, Yoongi glanced at him

"What are you waiting for? Lets go." He said before he too left the room. Jungkook blushed and stuttered, they were going to share a dorm, Jungkook was going to share a dorm with the beautiful man, his face heated up more when he thought about the rooms in the dorm, he wondered if the rooms would be split up or if they would just share a room with bunk beds, Jungkook wasn't sure how he felt about it.

"Lets go!" Someone shouted, It sounded like Yoongi.

Jungkook started. "Sorry!"  He called back, hastily rushing after them.

 -

The car ride was awkward to say the least, or for Jungkook it was, everyone else was comfortable with each other, they laughed and joked. Jungkook sat between Jin and Hoseok, while Namjoon, Jimin and Yoongi sat behind them. Jungkook stole glances at Yoongi in pretense of listening to whatever Jimin said, He could see the brown haired man was on the far right, his head leaned against the window, his eyes shut and his lips parted slightly to let out little puffs of air, he looked more beautiful asleep. Jungkook turned back around as his cheeks reddened, at that rate, the teenager was sure that his cheeks were going to stain and he was going to have to live the rest of his life with bright pink cheeks just because he couldn't control himself. 

"Jungkook, are you alright?" Jin asked as he peered at the shorter boy, his face taking on a concerned expression, it reminded Jungkook of his mother in a way. The teenager nodded.

"I'm fine, thank you, why?" He asked. 

"Your face is flushed, do you have a fever, are you sick?" Jin continued as he extended his hand to place it on the younger's forehead, Jungkook pulled away. 

"I'm fine, Jin-hyung, really." He assured the older man.

Jin frowned, but relented with a nod. Jungkook kept his eyes forward the rest of the car ride. 

-

When they got to the dorms Jungkook was surprised by the size of it, he had expected smaller, but there was more than enough room to accomidate eight to nine people, the dorm was plain, everything necassary as well as unnecassary was there, like a dining table, couches, kitchen ware, tv, an xbox and other things, boxes were scattered on the floor, some open, others not, they took up most the room in the living room and the members had to minover around them in order to explore more of the dorm, Jungkook could hear Jin talking excitedly in the kitchen, Jimin and Hoseok had broken out in dance in the living room, demostrating the amount of space before Hoseok hit his arm on a box and yelped, attracting the attention of Jin. Namjoon had picked up a box and went off to claim a room and start unpacking. Jungkook stood by the door, taking in the interior of the dorm, it felt surrel almost, he couldn't believe this was actually happening, his hard work had paid off, well, kind of, it was still a long way to debut, but now he had a group, he was a step closer than he was a week ago and they were already moving into a dorm. 

"Would you move? You're blocking me." A voice grumbled from behind Jungkook, the teenager jumped and scrambled to get out of the way. 

"I'm sorry, hyung." He apologized. Yoongi shrugged, passing by him and grabbing a box marked with his name. "Grab that box and come with me." Yoongi gestured to the box beside him. Jungkook froze and stared at Yoongi with wide eyes, was the older man talking to him? 

Yoongi sighed "You don't have to, but I think it would be better than standing in the doorway being a sapce cadet and blocking people." He added. If anyone at school had said that to Jungkook, he would've taken offensive, but somehow the younger boy knew Yoongi didn't mean anything by it, he was just giving him something to do, a use. 

Yoongi turned and headed down the hallway, Jungkook blinked before snapping out of it, he picked up a box and rushed after the elder, he glanced back at Jungkook, who flushed and stared at the open flap of the box. Yoongi stopped in front a door the farthest from the main area of the dorm, probably to minmize and muffle any of the noise the rest of the men would make. The rapper shifted the weight in his arms so that one hands was free and pushed open the door, revealing a somewhat plain room, white walls with two beds across from each other a nightstand by each of the beds held a lamp, but other than that not much else. It reminded Jungkook of a hotel he had stayed with his family once when he was younger, he didn't mind, they probably wouldn't be using the rooms for anything but sleeping anyway. 

Yoongi set the box down and opened it, pulling out clothes and setting them on the bed. Jungkook stayed awkwardly in the door way for a moment before entering setting the box down in the middle of the room, he stood nervously by it, unsure if he should stay or leave, he didn't want to leave, but at the same time he did, he wanted to stay and try to talk to Yoongi, but he didn't know what to say and the rapper seemed uninterested in him, he picked at a loose thread on his sleeve as he waited for the older man to say something, but he didn't, he just finished unpacking, once he was done he turned to the box that Jungkook brought in, reaching in and pulling out a muscle shirt, he frowned, putting it back and flipping one of the flaps up. 

"This is Jimin's." Yoongi said, showing Jungkook the name written on the side, Jungkook flushed in embarrassment for picking up the wrong box. "I'm sorry, I'll go and-" He began, moving to pick up the container.

"It's fine, I'll do it." Yoongi interupted, hefting the box into his arms and swiftly left the room, as Jungkook listened to his retreating footsteps he stood in the room, the older hadn't told him to wait or to come with him and Jungkook found himself in the same dilemma as earlier, as he tried to figure out what to do, he looked around the room, his eyes fell on the pile of Yoongi's possessions that were sitting neatly on the bed the rapper had claimed, the teenager crossed the space and although he knew he shouldn't, he knew it was rude and his mother had taught him better, but he couldn't help himself, he reached out and lightly touched the shirt that was on top of the pile, it was soft, yet thin, as though it had been worn through due to constant use. Jungkook wondered what it smelled like, but he didn't dear bring it to his face and breathe in the scent, going through the older man's things was bad enough, smelling his shirts was a whole other level of creepy that Jungkook was fine never getting to, so instead he set it aside and inspected the rest of the possessions, there was a beanie with an english word that Jungkook couldn't translate, he was never good in english class.There were other shirts as well, just as soft as the first, but not as worn through. As Jungkook felt the texure of a white button up shirt that had thick black lines across the chest, he came in contact with a hard, square surface, knitting his eyebrows together in confusion, he pushed the button up to the side, revealing a black leather book, it was larger and wider than a journal, Jungkook picked it up gingerly as if being gentle with Yoongi's things would excuse his invasion of privacy. He flipped it open, exposing the photos that had be carefully slipped under the protective plastic.

The first page held three photos, the one on the top left was of a class room filled with students, from the way they were scarttered around the room and sitting on desks Jungkook could tell the bell hadn't rung yet. Some of the students were caught mid laugh or mid word, the picture was breathtaking, light filltered in from the classroom window, casting shadows as well as shinning on the students, making them look almost as if they weren't real, like they didn't belong in that shadowed room. Jungkook wondered who took the picture as his eyes slid down to the picture below it, a pair of boys this time, one with black hair, the other with brown, they were no older than Jungkook was now, the teenager squinted at the brown haired boy on the left, trying to figure out why he looked so familar, his eyes widened when it came to him, it was Yoongi, the Yoongi in the picture was grinning widely and the boy next to him wore the same expression, he had his arm around Yoongi's younger self, they looked happy, and for some reason, it made Jungkook's heart ache. Yoongi looked like he never wanted to be any where else, like maybe he wanted to stay there with the black haired boy forever, maybe thats why he took a picture, so in a way, he could be. Looking at that photo made Jungkook feel discouraged, it was stupid of him to feel that way, suddenly Jungkook felt guilty, he was going too far, he looked at the two boys smiling back at him for a moment longer before beginning to close the photo album. 

"Yah! What do you think you're doing!" A voice shouted. 

Jungkook jumped, the album falling from his hands and landing on the floor, face down and open, some of the pages crumpling. 

"Ah! I'm sorry." He apologized for what felt like the tenth time that day, he quickly knelt down and picked up the photo album, trying to smooth out the pages the best he could. 

Yoongi ripped the book out of his hands. "Why are you going through my things?" He asked, flicking through the pages, looking for any possible damage to the photos. Jungkook couldn't help but feel bitter when he saw the black haired boy who had his arm around Yoongi show up in a photo four pages ahead, he stood under a cherry tree, the pink petals had collected at the base, the spring sun glinted off the boys hair as he smiled at the camera, his eyes shined with...something Jungkook couldn't identify exactly, but he was sure he had seen somewhere before, he was beautiful, Jungkook wondered if that was how Yoongi saw him too. 

"Hey, are you listening to me? I asked you a question." The older boy snapped, Jungkook had been so caught up in his thoughts that he hadn't noticed when Yoongi had stopped inspecting the album and had started glaring at him. 

"I-I was curious. I'm sorry." The teenager said, staring down at the carpet, ashamed. 

He heard Yoongi sigh. "Just don't do it again, it's rude." He said, Jungkook nodded. "Now go get your boxes and start unpacking." The elder added, before turning back to his own unpacking, no longer paying any attention to the younger of the two. 

As Jungkook quietly exited the room, he didn't miss the way that Yoongi closed the photo album and gently slid his hand across the cover before placing it back on the bed, a prized possession, filled with a black haired boy who Yoongi probably wanted to spend his life next to. 

The ache in Jungkook's chest grew sharper.

-

Jungkook ended up rooming with Yoongi, which in itself was both a dream and a nightmare. The rest of the day consited of getting to know the members, they were all very friendly to Jungkook, accepting him right away. Jimin and Hoseok were very into skin ship, constantly wrapping their arms around any of the members that happened to be close to them. Namjoon, although he came off cool, was clumsy, he knocked over his cup several times, spilling water everywhere before he eventually broke the glass. Yoongi, despite his cold attitude and his threats to punch Jimin if he didn't refer to him respectfully, was surprisingly kind, putting up with Jimin and Hoseok's touches, he rolled his eyes at most, but didn't shove them away like Jungkook would've thought. Jin was rather motherly, tending to the rest the group if they so much as got a paper cut, he cleaned up the broken glass that Namjoon had caused, and made dinner, after which he ushered everyone to bed, saying they had practice tomorrow and needed sleep, Yoongi grumbled and Jimin pouted, but they all did what Jin said with little protest. 

Jungkook listened to the sound of running water in the bathroom across from their room as Yoongi washed his face, he to his side, his back to the door and closed his eyes as the sink shut off and the door opened, Yoongi mumbling under his breath as he entered the room and made his way to his bed, Jungkook couldn't make out what he was saying, he wondered if it was song lyrics or if he was just complaining about having to go to bed early.

The bed across from Jungkook's creaked as the older male slipped under his sheets and settled in. Jungkook listened as Yoongi shifted, the sounds fell silent shortly after a few seconds and Jungkook slowly drifted off to the soft sigh Yoongi made once he was comfortable. 

-

When Jungkook woke up it was still dark outside, he rubbed his face, still groggy as the sensation of being thirsty hit him full force, he tried to ignore it in favor of going back to sleep, but every time he got close to drifting off again the uncomfortable feeling dragged him back to consciousness. With a quiet groan of irritation, he sat up and turned to get out of bed, noticing that Yoongi's bed was empty, the covers unceremoniously tossed to the end. 

Jungkook yawned as he dragged himself across the room and down the hall to the kitchen, he blinked at the light that poured out of his destination, squinting as his eyes adjusted he drew closer, he could the low voices from within the kitchen, Jungkook slowed, stopping when he was right beside the entrance but still out of sight.

"What do you mean you don't get it?" A voice that sounded like Namjoon's asked.

Jungkook peeked in and saw that Namjoon was leaning against the fridge, a mug in hand, the steam curled as it rose towards the ceiling and evaporated. Namjoon was looking across the kitchen at Yoongi, who was perched on a counter, his hair a mess and he was hunched forward, another mug sat next to his flannel covered thigh. 

Yoongi shrugged. "Why is he a part of the group? This is more hip-hop style and hes too sweet." The older man said. 

Jungkook slipped back out of sight, his back flat against the wall as he stared ahead at the dark living room, making out the shape of the couch as he listened to the elders' conversation. Who were they talking about?

"Yoongi." Namjoon sighed in experation. "So he isn't a rapper. We've been told his talents lie with vocals and dancing." 

"Hes a kid." Yoongi said flatly. " He doesn't have the look, instead he looks like he should be in the something music video as a back up dancer." He added. 

"So hes sixteen, we haven't seen him practice, we don't know if his persona during practice is the same as how he acts normally." Namjoon's voice pointed out. 

Jungkook's hands clenched into a fist, they were talking about him. Yoongi didn't think he should be in the group and although Namjoon seemed to be defending him, his voice sounded doubtful to the teenager. Jungkook bit the inside of his cheek as he wondered if that's what everyone else thought too, that he was just a sweet faced kid who didn't know a thing about hip hop. 

"I found him going through my stuff, you know." Yoongi's voice cut through Jungkook's thoughts. 

There was a pause and as Jungkook waited for Namjoon to answer his face grew hot with shame. 

"Don't just shrug, Namjoon, hes a sneak, can we even trust him?" Yoongi's voice again. 

Jungkook didn't even notice that he had bitten through the skin until the taste of copper and salt filled his mouth, his fist shook, he wanted to march into that kitchen and throw something, shout at Yoongi, but he didn't know what to say and he was paralyzed, stuck against that wall, tracing the shape of the couch with his eyes as he listened to the men talk about him. 

"Leave him alone, Yoongi, hes just a kid, don't act like you haven't made any mistakes when you were his age." Namjoon replied, moving across the kitchen as he placed his mug into the sink, creating a few clacking noises. 

"I didn't go through my elders' ." Yoongi mumbled. 

"He'll learn, he's still growing up, after all, hes only sixteen, all teenagers make stupid decisions." The black haired man assured Yoongi. 

Jungkook's eyes burned with tears and his blunt fingernails sunk into the skin on his palm, they thought he was a stupid kid, everything felt wrong, he had worked so hard to get where he was and they thought he was a stupid, untrustworthy, little kid. Jungkook brushed his sleeve against his eyes, harshly wiping away any escaping tears. Jungkook didn't want to hear anything else they had to say. He turned and as quietly as he had come, he snuck back to his room, forgetting about his water, how he was suppose to face them in kitchen and act like nothing had happened when he had heard everything? God, how was he suppose to face them ever again? 

As Jungkook laid back down he pulled the covers over his head, he bit his lip to keep in the sobs that wanted to escape the recesses of his chest, he wasn't sure how long he laid there with his eyes clenched shut trying not cry, but the door creaked open and someone entered the room, Jungkook knew it was Yoongi from the way the bed squeaked as he settled down again and once more let out a content sigh when he was comfortable, though unlike the last time Jungkook heard the small amount of air leave Yoongi's lungs, it didn't accompany him to sleep, instead it ripped into him, reminding him of what was said in the kitchen, making the ache cut harder into his chest and letting the quiet sobs tumble out of his mouth and into the cotton fabric of his blankets. 

As Jungkook laid in bed, the covers over his head and tears slipping down his cheeks, he wished for the first time in his life that he had never become a trainee.