Express Yourself

BtoB Drabbles & Oneshots

Peniel got girls. Period. He attracted them like no other. From his boyish good looks, to his natural charm and fiery charisma, it was always surprising that his dates always ended in disaster. He had a knack for teaching others how to be more irresistible, but for the strangest reason, his techniques just never seemed to work for himself.

“So, what you’re saying is… don’t be myself?” Sungjae asked naively as he sought out advice from his friend on the dos and don’ts of dating. “But isn’t that, like, lying?” He raised an eyebrow in disbelief as he took a few sips of the iced coffee that Peniel had bought for him in the coffee shop that they frequented.

Peniel shrugged. “Hey, it works.” He suddenly paused. “Well, at least it works when I tell other people to do it when they ask me for advice.”

“Well, what else is there that I can do?” Sungjae eagerly sought out more information from his friend as he scribbled a few illegible notes on his notepad. “Should I get my date flowers? Or maybe chocolate?”

“Nah, too predicable.” Peniel took a seat next to his friend on the sofa in the coffee shop and rested an arm on Sungjae’s shoulder. “But you have to make sure that you carry yourself well. Be confident, but not cocky. Don’t be too passive because then you might give the impression that you just want to be friends.” He sighed. “I really don’t know why I bother telling you this.”

Sungjae looked on. He wanted to admit that he was infatuated by Peniel, but wasn’t sure how to bring it up. He always knew that when gay boys started crushing on their straight friends, the result would always end badly. “I like you better like this.” Sungjae took a deep breath. “You always act so confident and cool, but I know that you’re really a sweet, silly, and down to earth kind of guy. Why not try to be yourself for a change? It’s like what Einstein used to say: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Who knows, maybe trying something new might be a good change for you.”

“You think so?” Peniel glanced over at Sungjae. “Are you saying that maybe I should try it out on boys? If I didn’t know any better, by what you just told me, I would think that you had a little crush on me.” Peniel joked. The two males locked gazes for a few seconds, before Sungjae turned away, his face flushed with embarrassment.

“No, of course not! That would be weird. Two guys? Come on.” Sungjae nervously rambled. “And it’s not like I think you’re cute, handsome, smart, and funny.”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that I never considered it before.” Peniel leaned in closer to Sungjae. His breath grazed against the other male’s cheek causing a chill to travel up his spine. He leaned back and laughed. “But because you said that I’m not cute, handsome, smart, and funny, I guess I can’t ask you out then.”

Sungjae puffed out his cheeks and huffed in frustration. He sat up in his seat and lowered his head. “Peniel, will-you-go-out-with-me!” He practically shouted, making his request in a quick, short-winded sentence.

Peniel blinked a few times, a little taken back by what had just happened. He gave Sungjae a quick peck on the cheek and nodded. “You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to ask you the same question. Of course I’ll go out with you.”