#1

Morbid

#1, Morbid

"It wasn't me," said Taemin firmly, eyeing the officer in front of him. His hands were trembling and his feet was tapping due to nervousness, but he still maintained his sitting position, fighting the urge to scream and yell, or cry. "I would never do that to her."

Inside the interrogation room, Officer Kim Heechul was flipping through files, listening to the suspect's story. From outside, Police Chief Park Jungsu was staring through the black and white monitors.

"Officer, you have to believe me," said Taemin again, his fist clenched. "I.. I love her too much to do that, I can't.."

Officer Kim closed the manila folder in his hand. "However, are you sure you two have no trouble in your relationship?"

"No! Not at all, we've always been good to each other," said Taemin. His voice was already trembling. "Officer, it's not me.."

"I'm sorry, Lee Taemin, but you are the first person who was seen with Im Yoona, the night before she was murdered," said Officer Kim. "Unless you found another suspect, we're blank here."

"Wait, it's not only me!" Taemin almost yelled, frustrated. "It's not only me, officer! I have.. I have another suspect.."

"Who is it?"

Taemin held a deep breath, muttering something unlikely. He closed his eyes and bit his lip, before answering,

"S-Sulli – I mean.. Choi Jinri."


Chief Park and three of his subordinates stared closely at the black and white monitor. Inside of the room was her, sitting on the interrogation table, head drooped down, her face draped by her long, black hair. Even if she was still, they got chills just by looking at her. The monochrome made her pale skin look paler and her dark hair look darker. She looked harmful, that way. Like she could suddenly disappear, and pop back up in front of the camera. But she didn't.

"Someone needs to interrogate her," said the chief. "Kim, you go. See if Lee Taemin is right about suspecting this girl."

Officer Kim once again stood from his seat. "She looks decent," he commented, flipping through the folder in his hand. "Choi Jinri.. I'll interrogate her now, sir," he finally said, and opened the door to the interrogation room.

Once the door clicked shut, Chief Park sat back in his seat, waiting to see what came from the interrogation.


"Choi Jinri, isn't it?" asked Officer Kim, closing the door carefully. "Hello, there. I'm Officer Kim."

"I go by Sulli," said the girl coldly, her eyes still glued to the table surface.

Officer Kim gulped. Now that he was in the same room with her, the atmosphere got much more intense, and bleak. He took a seat across the table, opening the folder he held.

"Uh, okay then, Sulli," he said. "You know why we called you here, right?"

Officer Kim kept a smile on his face, but it soon faded when Sulli looked up at him, staring daggers into his eyes. "Perhaps," she replied, shifting her gaze down to the table surface again.

"Um, we called you here, regarding the murder of Im Yoona. Do you know her?"

"Yes," Sulli gave a short answer, her eyes not leaving the table surface.

Officer Kim smiled a little, surprised that the girl gave a clear answer. "How did you know her, Sulli?"

"Classmates."

"Are you guys friends?"

"Sort of."

"Sort of?"

"Sort of."

Officer Kim bit his lip. He made a wrong move. "How much did you know her?" he asked again.

"Not much."

"How much is not much?"

"I hang out with her a few times, we do assignments together. Every day, we see each other in class, that's it," replied Sulli.

Officer Kim was astonished for a moment there, for the girl can actually speak more than two syllables. "Oh, if you guys hang out, then she must be your friend, right?"

Sulli held her breath. "Yes, she was my friend."

"Speaking of assignments.. I was told, that the night before Im Yoona was murdered, you went to her house to do an assignment together, is that right?" asked Officer Kim.

"Yes."

Officer Kim smiled, feeling positive, now that they're going somewhere. "How about we hear about that night? What happened, Sulli?"

Sulli closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Okay."


"Here's your tea, Sulli-ah," smiled Yoona as she put two big cups of iced tea on the table. Her and Sulli was in her room, doing an arts and crafts assignment, which they were paired in. They were told to make something out of scrap papers and other used goods, and they were making paper lanterns and night lamps. "How's it going?"

Sulli looked at Yoona and returned her polite smile. "Uh, the project? It's.. good?" she lift the badly cut crepe paper, making Yoona laugh.

"Do you have trouble with that?" she asked, and Sulli nodded as a response. "Okay then, let's switch tasks. Please cut shapes in the lumbers planks, you can do it right?"

"Yes," Sulli took the cutter knife and the lumber planks from Yoona, and started cutting by the guidelines.

While she was cutting, she stared at Yoona, who was repairing the paper that was cut by her. Even after Sulli had cut it pretty badly, Yoona managed to make it into a decent enough flower shape. Sulli knew she can't do that. Yoona has always been better in arts and crafts than her. She was better than her in anything.

After Sulli had finished cutting the cardboards, she took the instruction paper from the box. "Oh? It's in English?" she said, reading through the text. "'Step three, after cutting the planks..', planks? Plank-keu-sseu..? How do you read this?"

Yoona took the paper from Sulli and translated it, "It says, after cutting holes in the planks in shapes, cover the inside of the box with onionskin paper."

Sulli nodded in understanding, then grabbed the onionskin papers and glued the corners, sticking it to the insides of the holed box. As she was doing that, she frowned. Sulli hated being outsmarted by Yoona. She watched Disney often, why can't she speak English? She felt so stupid.

Finally, Sulli finished one lamp. "Our first lamp, done!" she exclaimed, lifting the lamp up.

Yoona smiled and held her hand out for Sulli to high-five with. "Yay! Can you help me with the lantern, Sulli-ah?"

This was what Sulli liked, when Yoona asks help from her. "Sure!"

While Sulli and Yoona was tying strings on the lantern, suddenly, they heard the doorbell rang.

"Oh? Who could that be?" said Yoona. "Sorry, Sulli-ah, I gotta take the door first, okay?" she gave the lantern to Sulli, and got out of the room.

Sulli continued her project. Even though she acted very nicely towards Yoona, she was holding a grudge against her. Being nice was just for show. Although she hated to admit it, Yoona was better than her, and she wanted to be like her. Sulli had done everything; she dresses up like Yoona, learn like Yoona, eat like Yoona; she lived by Yoona's rules, but she never got anything Yoona has. Why do I always want what she wants, Sulli thought. The only answer was because, everything Yoona had was everything she had long for.

"Sulli-ah! Look who's here!"

Hearing her name called, Sulli lift her head up from the project. Her eyes instantly widened when she saw a certain someone standing beside Yoona.

"You know my boyfriend, right?" asked Yoona.

Sulli nodded. Of course she knows.

"T-Taemin.. hey," she greeted, unconsciously stuttered his name, which, thank god, was unnoticed.

Taemin was Sulli's first love, childhood friend, and her current crush at the moment. They grew up in the same neighborhood, with houses almost just across each other's, and went to the same school, and the same class. Sulli paid a lot of attention towards Taemin. But Taemin only sees Sulli as his childhood friend. And he already has a girlfriend, which is Yoona. Another reason for Sulli to hate her. And it was the biggest reason as well.

"Hey, Sulli," smiled Taemin. He took a seat next to Yoona on the sofa. "So, what're you guys doing?"

"Just a project," replied Yoona. "Do you want anything? I'll get you a soda, if you want.."

"Yeah, sure," Taemin said. "Don't be gone long, though."

Yoona giggled and kissed Taemin on the cheek – which made Sulli frown and looked away, before she got up. "Be right back."

In the room, was left Sulli and Taemin. She suddenly felt hot. Sulli tried her best ignoring Taemin by focusing on the project, but inside, all she wanted to do was sit next to him and talk. But she couldn't do that. Unfortunately, Taemin just had to ruin her effort.

He shifted closer to Sulli, who was sitting on the carpet. "Do you need any help, Sulli?"

"Uh, you want to help?" Right after she said that, Sulli mentally face-palmed herself for saying that. "I mean.. sure, if you want to."

Taemin chuckled. "Why wouldn't I?" he said, grabbing a pair of scissors and crepe paper. "So, what should I do?"

Sulli's heart lit up. She's talking to Taemin right now, alone, nobody beside them inside the room, no Yoona. And he's asking Sulli for help. She could literally feel her heart leap. "Okay," she said. "I think we don't need anymore crepe papers, so why don't you cut the strings?" Sulli gave the ball of strings to Taemin, their hands slightly brushed against one-another, making her cheeks tinge crimson.

"How do I cut it, then?" asked Taemin. Oblivious of the girl's feelings, he took her hand and put it on top of his, asking her to guide him.

Sulli was in loss of words. "You.. You, uh.." she tried to suppress the stutters, but it only made her stutter more. She took a deep breath. "Taemin, you fold the strings until they're the same length like this and you cut them, okay? Like this."

After seeing a demonstration from Sulli, Taemin nodded. Her hand was not on his anymore, but he could still see her marveled expression. "Sulli-ah? What's wrong?"

"Huh? Oh, no-nothing.." she let out a little smile, before looking away and resumed her work.

Taemin laughed. "You're really cute, Sulli-ah," he said as he cut the strings.

Cute? Sulli could've sworn that her heart stopped beating at the word 'cute'. Taemin just called her cute. Her long-time crush just called her cute. Usually when the two of them were hanging out, Taemin would only . It was the best thing Sulli's ever heard, coming out from the perfect person.

"I'm back!" exclaimed Yoona, entering the room with a can of coke. "Sorry I took a long time, I searched for the coke in the fridge, but turns out it was in the bar cabinet," she said, plumping herself down on the couch, next to Taemin, whose eyes were lighting up.

"Oh, you shouldn't get yourself into trouble like that for me, Yoong," said Taemin, opening the can of coke.

"It wasn't trouble at all, silly. I found the coke. If I didn't I would have to make you a drink instead, and wouldn't that be more of a trouble? Not that it is," Yoona grinned.

Taemin chuckled and pinched Yoona's cheek. "You're so cute," he said, which made Yoona pout cutely.

Sulli frowned, looking away. She hated it. She hated it that Taemin said Yoona was cute, when he just said Sulli was a few moments ago. She wanted to be the only one Taemin calls cute. She wanted to be one who makes Taemin's eyes light up every time he sees her. She wanted to be the one who Taemin would apologize to if she get herself into troubles. She wanted to be the one Taemin would pinch her cheeks. She wanted to be Taemin's girlfriend. But she can't do that if Yoona's around.

Which mean, Yoona has to disappear.

Sulli shook her head, as if trying to erase the thoughts inside her head. She glanced at Taemin and Yoona, who was kidding around with each other, before looking at the scissors and strings in front of her again. She shrugged, and cut the red string, resuming her work.


"After we finished, Taemin walked me home," Sulli finished.

"Okay," said Officer Kim. "But, you didn't witness Taemin doing anything strange that night?"

"No."

Officer Kim nodded in understanding. "From your story, I think you see Yoona as your rival, because you think she's better than you. And, you like Taemin. Sulli, you have a motive," he stated. "But, now, I'm asking you to set your personal feelings aside now. Sulli, are you protecting Taemin?"

Sulli shifted her gaze upwards, staring into Officer Kim's eyes. "I'm not," she said, slightly shaking her head as she looked down again.

Officer Kim held a sigh, when he suddenly heard a scoff. Coming from Sulli.

"Look, I don't want to do this for Taemin, the guy gave me away, anyway," she sighed, her eyes were closed. As they opened, she smiled. "I confess. I was the one who killed Im Yoona."

Officer Kim held his breath.

"When Taemin walked me home that night, I was so happy.. I had a chance. But, he kept talking about Yoona. Yoona, Yoona, Yoona. He asked me stuffs about Yoona that I honestly wouldn't even bother to answer, if only it wasn't for him. It was supposed to be about me. It was my chance. It was that time, when I realize, that Taemin really loves Yoona. He loves her, and I'll never have a chance, unless Yoona disappear from his life. From my life. So I killed her," she explained, rather nonchalantly. "I stabbed her using a scissor, and cut her using  a cutter knife, on an alley way, after school, when we were going to her house to continue our project. I didn't dispose the evidence, if you need it. And then, I left her in the alleyway, sat up against a garbage bin."

Officer Kim stood up. "Choi Jinri, you are under arrest for the murder of Im Yoona," he said. Officer Cho and Officer Lee stormed inside a room, quickly cuffing the girl, who surprisingly, did nothing.

"Do you think I regret it? I don't," she scoffed. "I don't give a about it at all."

Officer Kim watched as Sulli was escorted out of the room. For some time there, he was certain that he saw a tear in the corner of her eyes. Sulli glared at Officer Kim, smirking. After she disappeared behind the door, Chief Park walked inside the interrogation room.

"Great job, Heechul," he said, patting his subordinate's shoulder.

Officer Kim nodded. "Thank you, chief. Is Taemin still outside?"

"Yes, he's in the waiting room. Why?"

"I have to talk to him. I'll see you later in the office for reports, okay, Chief?" said Officer Kim, and walked out of the room.

He found Taemin sitting in the waiting room, head hung low. He looked up when Officer Kim called for him, and quickly shot up from his sitting position. "Officer! How did it go, what did Sulli say?"

Officer Kim only let out a small smile, and gestured for the two to sit down first. "Choi Jinri is already escorted towards the holding facility. I'm sorry, Taemin, but Sulli is the one who killed Yoona," he said.

Taemin stared at the officer, his mouth slightly agape in disbelief. "No, it can't be.." he gasped. "B-But.. Sulli.."

"It's true, Taemin, she confessed."

Taemin let out an exasperated sigh. "Sulli, why.."

"Taemin," called Officer Kim. "You're her childhood friend, right?" Taemin nodded. "How long have you known each other?"

"I first met her when we were six," Taemin stared at his hands blankly, reminiscing everything about Sulli, trying to find out what went wrong with his childhood friend. "I moved in to the house across from her family's. Turned out we went to the same school and the same class too. At first it was only our parents that told us we should go to school and go home together. Then we started going everywhere together. I looked out for her, and she looked out for me, that's all.."

Officer Kim nodded in understanding. He understood their relationship, but he still needed to ask Taemin one thing. "After interrogating Sulli, it kinda had me thinking.. what do you think about Sulli?"

Taemin smiled weakly, before shifting his gaze to the officer. "I like Sulli very much. She's a really nice girl, and she's cute too. She's a hard-worker and she's funny. It's sad that she doesn't realize that though," he said, letting out a weak laugh. "I wish I did."

Officer Kim stared at Taemin for some time.

"Is it my fault, officer?" the boy asked suddenly. "Is it because of me.. that Sulli acted like that?"

Officer Kim smiled. "No, it's not your fault, boy," he said. "But if you really want to know, let me show you something."

He took out two pictures from the folder he was holding, and handed it to Taemin. One was a profile picture of Sulli, and the other one was a picture of Yoona's body. On her , there was something written – more like cut – using a knife. Taemin could feel his eyes getting hot with tears, and crumpled the picture in his hand, as the first tear slid down his cheek, his heart breaking in pain.

I'm your only cute one now, right?


 

 

 

 

Copyright and Disclaimer

© hellopsr stories, 2011

 

Sulli is one sick child, isn't she? I kinda enjoy writing Sulli like that, I can imagine it perfectly. I honestly already have a sequel to this. Maybe I'll post it up as the second chapter later. Like, later. And Taemin is.. well, I like him here because he has a worried boyfriend character, which is contrast to his carefree self. Heechul was written really good, though different from his usual self as well, but still understanding. I just realized that I had written all the characters in contrast personalities to their original selves. But, it turned out decent enough. Do tell me what you think! Comments and subscribes are loved~ ♥