Chapter 30.

Ephemeral

, it's been too long, HI EVERYONE, HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GOOD SUMMER OR HOPE SCHOOL IS GOING WELL :D I haven't updated in forever due to some personal problems that got way out of hand (I'll elaborate a bit more at the end of this chapter) but for now enjoy this update, and I'm sorry if it seems rushed or sudden in any way!!

Junghwa looked at the time, and nearly panicked seeing that it was 9:50. She finished getting ready with haste, before grabbing her bag and rushing out of her room. However, she was very surprised to see her sister at the door, pulling on her shoes.

“Oh, unnie-” Jungah looked at her curiously. “Where you headed?”
“Um, I’m going out.” Junghwa chuckled. “I need do some last minute shopping.”

Jungah nodded, sticking her tongue out at the floor as she managed to pull on the last of her pair of shoes, before kneeling down to tie her laces.

“What’s up, Jung, I didn’t peg you to be the type to go out on your own.”
“Oh, I’m not going out on my own.” Jungah looked up at her sister. “Yoongi’s invited me to tag along on his shopping endeavours.”
“Oh, that’s funny. I’m coming too, apparently?”

Jungah’s brows knitted together as she thought hard, before slowly nodding as she murmured, “Yeah, I remember. He did say you were coming too.”

Junghwa bent down to pick up her trainers, frowning as she made to wear them. She was hoping that it would just be her and Yoongi that day, simply because she felt like she had to clear up the awkwardness between them. Because even though they were fine… she could feel it. It was almost like he had been avoiding her. Was he embarrassed? Or did he just not want to associate with her any longer?

It didn’t help that she didn’t have anyone to confide in either. Hoseok had been aware of the awkwardness between her and Yoongi, but he didn’t know why that had been the case. However, he had been incredibly optimistic about her being able to sort things out with him in the end, and this outing with Yoongi seemed to be the perfect opportunity to do so.

Well, until she found out that Jungah was coming along with them. She immediately texted Hoseok about her predicament, as the two siblings walked out the door, taking the stairs once more, due to the elevator being out of order, once more.

“So… how come you’re tagging along with us today?”
“Well, I was bored and he knew it.” Jungah shrugged. “He said that I could use the fresh air and stuff. That I spend way too long in our room with my laptop and phone ."

Junghwa nodded, groaning on the inside. There were times when Yoongi was shrewd, perceptive and observant and how she wished that he hadn’t been so with her sister.

However, she wasn’t the only one displeased with the situation.

Unknown to her, her presence was unwelcomed by her own sister. Jungah bit her lip uneasily, as they now reached the third floor. She had been hoping to have Yoongi to herself for the day, and she didn't exactly like how close Yoongi and Junghwa were. She really didn’t.

As they reached the first floor, Jungah knew she has to act fast. She quickly brought out her handphone, and held it to her ears.

"Ah, oppa- yeah, she's here- oh, really? Okay I'll let her know, bye!" Jungah brought her phone back into her pocket, before turning towards her sister. "Hwa unnie, Jungho oppa needs your help upstairs, it's kinda urgent."
"Oh, really?" Junghwa stopped in her tracks. "Damn, better go and see what's up then. Wait for me, yeah?!"

Junghwa smiled apologetically and rushed back up the stairs. However, Jungah, who had faked the call, had no intention of waiting for her sister.

"Like hell I will." Jungah smirked as soon as her sister was out of earshot. "Sorry, unnie, sometimes a girl's gotta to do what she's gotta do."

Jungah raced down the stairs, and reached the lobby, where Yoongi was waiting for them, leaning against one of the pillars.

"Oh, hey!" Yoongi smiled at her kindly, before frowning when he saw that she was alone. "Did Junghwa get held up or something?"
"Yeah, um-” Jungah shrugged. “Jungho oppa made her stay back for something, and since it would take some time, she decided not to come along.”
“Oh…” Yoongi slowly nodded, clearly disappointed that his friend had backed out at the last minute. However, he smiled at Jungah, as he motioned towards the exit. Jungah only grinned as she walked with Yoongi outside the building.

Meanwhile, Junghwa walked back into the house, looking at her elder brother worriedly. "Did you need help, oppa? You called Jung?"
"No- I got this-" Jungho grinned as he began to drain the pasta, his tongue sticking out as it always did when he showcased the utmost concentration. But when he looked away, his brows were stuck together bewilderedly. “No… I didn't call Jung, no. How are you still here, didn’t you have shopping to do?”

Junghwa slowly nodded, before forcing another smile as she walked back out the door.

She lied to me. Junghwa trudged down the five flights of stairs with heavy steps, sighing when she reached the ground floor. They’re not there either. Not surprised. Good work, Jung, up to your dirty tricks again.

Junghwa leaned against the wall, her heart racing. Why was this simple task proving to be so difficult? Why was there so much getting in the way? How did things even come to this? Her and Yoongi were fine… but now they weren’t. It was unnerving to know that the person she could once go to about anything that bothered her, wasn’t as… accessible, anymore. Imagine a bridge, which Junghwa had to cross to get to Yoongi. It just wasn’t as easy to cross that anymore. For all she knew, she could fall down trying, and hurt herself. It was a weak bridge, one with many missing planks, one that required effort to cross now.

And she simply didn’t have the courage to do so anymore.

“…” Junghwa hid her face in her hands, trying to calm down. She knew she was panicking, and the stress of the whole situation was crashing down on her again. But she had to keep her composure, she had to calm down somehow. But it was so hard. Her knees felt weak, her breathing became heavier and she felt like she would pass out any second now.

Oh god, Yoongi, where are you?

“Junghwa-?” Taehyung. He can’t see me like this. Oh God.

“N-No-” Junghwa shook her head, trying to walk away from him. “I- no- just don’t- leave me-”
“No, hey, Junghwa.” Taehyung tried to take her hands into his, but she pushed him away, trying to avoid any form of physical contact. Her chest began to tighten, and her head was spinning so much she thought she might faint. Hot tears burned her vision, but she couldn’t break, not now. She grabbed onto her shirt, hoping that it would ease the tightness in her chest, but it didn’t. Her heart was beating so fast she thought it would explode from her chest. And even then, she could only think of one thing.

Yoongi.

She needed Yoongi.

“Hey. Hey, look at me.” Warm hands held her face gently, tilting it up towards them. Junghwa blinked at Taehyung, his hair an even brighter shade of orange. His face twisted with worry as he looked at her. Junghwa closed her eyes, falling into his embrace, her arms holding onto his thick coat tightly as she let out a shaky sigh. Taehyung rocked her back and forth, whispering soothing words, rubbing his hand in small circles on her back to try and calm her down. It took him a while, but with Junghwa listening to only his words in her moment of panic, he had managed to have her relaxed, and calmer, eventually.

“Thanks.” She whispered, pulling herself back from Taehyung. It was then that she noticed Hoseok as well, and he was standing there with a sad smile.

“You okay, Junghwa?”
“Yeah. Um, not really- better though-” She chuckled nervously. “I’ll be fine. Why are you guys here...?”
“Well, we kinda wanted to hang out with you today.” Taehyung began, clearing his throat. “We were hoping to steal you away from Yoongi and Jungah for the day-?”
“Well, since they’ve ditched me, why not, I’m all yours to steal.” Junghwa grinned weakly, though there was no missing the malice in her voice. Hoseok looked at her curiously, but he decided that he would ask about it later. They were there for a purpose, after all.

“Well, we were hoping to take you out, but given what just happened, I suppose we’ll have to take you back home.” Hoseok chuckled. “And hopefully, you’re invite us back in?”
“Hopefully.” Junghwa laughed, allowing Taehyung to take her hand in his as she led them up the stairs once more.

“How’s Christmas prep at home?” Junghwa mumbled, a small smile on her face as she tried to make conversation, the somewhat awkward silence getting to her already. Taehyung’s eyes lit up like bright fairy lights, as he grinned excitedly. “Taeyeon will not stop decorating the Christmas tree, she keeps redecorating it. It’s so cute, though, she’s really excited. Taewon’s surprisingly really into it this year, he even helps our sister make little craft stuff.”
“He’s trying to get back on your mum’s good side.” Hoseok snorted at Taehyung, before looking at Junghwa. “He accidentally burned their dinner because he wasn’t paying enough attention.”

Junghwa snorted, shaking her head slowly. “Sounds like something Jungkook would’ve done with Jungho oppa.”

They soon reached her flat, where she knocked on the door tentatively. The door was opened in a flash, and Jungho stood at the doorway, first confused as he eyed the two boys standing behind his sister.

“I see shopping went well.” Jungho raised a brow at his sister, as she walked back in with Hoseok and Taehyung in tow. “Seems like you’ve bought some very… interesting items.”
“Hi hyung.” Taehyung simply grinned, and even Hoseok smiled a little, before his eyes looked around the house curiously.

“Right. Junghee! Unnie brought some friends home, they want to meet you.” Junghwa hollered, ignoring her older brother, and within moments, a small figured bolted out one of the bedrooms, followed by yet another figure, although he was taller, of course.

“Jeejee, this is Hoseok oppa.” Junghwa nodded at the black haired male, who immediately knelt down and took Junghee’s small hand in his, before placing a tender kiss on it.

“Hello, fair lady.” Hoseok grinned, making her giggle.
“Wow, Hoseok, so greasy.” Taehyung shook his head, also kneeling down in front of the smaller girl. “Hello, I’m Kim Taehyung, nice to meet you.”
“Taehyung oppa?” Junghee questioned, to which Taehyung couldn’t help but smile broadly.

“Hey-” Jungho tapped Junghwa’s shoulder, making her stand up straight as he looked at her with concern.

“You seem pale, you okay?” He asked quietly. Not wanting to talk about it, she nodded slowly, hoping that he would buy the lie. Jungho didn’t look very convinced, however, and Junghwa knew he would bring this up once more.

Jungho gave her another suspicious look of his own, before shrugging as he looked at her friends instead. “You guys want anything? Tea, coffee, pasta, I’m your man.”
“Ah, that’s really kind of you, hyung.” Taehyung grinned. “I think I’m alright for now, thanks.”
“Me too. Thanks, Jungho hyung.” Hoseok smiled, standing up slowly.
“Right, well-” Junghwa began, sensing the awkward atmosphere beginning to creep in. “How about we chill in my room, before we decide to go anywhere later today?”
“Sure.” Hoseok nodded. “Lead the way.”

-----

“Got any more presents?”
“Almost done. You?” Jungah grinned, looking at Yoongi. He held up a paper bag, giving her a smile of his own. “Just a couple more.”

As they walked down the road, Jungah stopped in front of a clothes shop, something catching her attention almost immediately.

“Oh, wow, this is so pretty.” Jungah gasped as she looked at the shawl on the mannequin's neck. Her fingers trailed across the silky material, eyes lighting up with excitement. However, when she took a look at the price tag, and her face fell as soon as her hopes had been lifted.

“It's too expensive…” She mumbled. Yoongi looked at the price, and ruffled her hair in an attempt to comfort her.

“It's okay, kiddo. We might find it for cheap if we walk further down the road.” Yoongi nodded, but made a mental note to get it for her in case they didn’t.
“Alright, let's go!” Jungah grinned. They walked past the shop and walked down the road, until they found another shop where there was a Christmas clearance sale.

“Let's go here.” Jungah gasped, grabbing onto Yoongi’s hand and pulling him inside. As soon as they stepped in, Jungah's eyes widened with awe. There were so many Christmas decorations, and suitable presents, on the shelves, and she gleefully rushed down one of the aisles, leaving Yoongi alone at the front door. Shaking his head at her excitement, he walked down another one of the aisles, seeing if he could get his mother and sister something from this somewhat small shop.

But at the same time, he had been thinking hard, and now he was thinking even more about his small problem at hand.

Junghwa… he had been hoping to sort things once and for all, with today’s outing. There was no telling how that might have turned out, but it would have definitely solved something. But, as it had done for the last few days, the problem still hung in the air like sulphur. There was no point in questioning the kiss. It had definitely happened. And now things between him and Junghwa were so awkward, and he hated it. He hated that they weren’t as close as they were a mere few days ago. It was… infuriating, in a way. But Yoongi brought this upon them, and it was up to him to fix it.

“I’m gonna fix things. Damn right, I will.” Yoongi nodded with determination, as he walked past a few accessories made of silver.

But then, he stopped, when they caught his eyes some more, and he simply had to look at them.

-----

Taehyung couldn’t help himself.

He brought his lips closer to Junghwa’s cheeks, hesitating. Junghwa seemed to notice the sudden proximity of her friend, and she went rigid with surprise, her eyes widening slightly as she glanced at him. His breath tickled her cheek, before his soft lips gently pressed themselves against it.

How did this happen? Oh, right. Junghwa should’ve known, from how Hoseok managed to prise himself and her little sister from the bedroom. There was something both had intended to do. And… well, Taehyung had very much made his intentions clear.

Junghwa blinked, turning towards him slowly. Staring into his handsome face, drinking in his striking features. Her heart was racing, beating a mile a minute.

But it wasn’t because she liked him.

Her brows knitted together with concern, sadness, and Taehyung knew. He knew it was too good to be true.

“Ah, …” He sighed, putting his head on her shoulder. He felt her stiffen from the awkwardness of the moment and was instantly hit by waves of regret at his hasty actions. However, Taehyung didn’t move, and thankfully, Junghwa didn’t push him away.

“I-I’m sorry, Taehyung.” Junghwa whispered. “I’m sorry I can’t return these feelings.”
“It’s okay, Hwa…” He mumbled. “I guess I hoped a little too much for it.”

“Don’t-” Taehyung shook his head when Junghwa opened to speak again. “Really, Junghwa. It’s okay. You don’t need to console me.”
“Aren’t you upset, Tae…” Junghwa began, but Taehyung shrugged. “I’m not going to lie, I am a little bit. But hey, it’s not the end of the world. And well, I’ll move on. I still have your friendship and that’s what’s most important.”

Junghwa slowly grinned, nudging his arm gently. “It is, and we’ll always be friends, Taetae.”
“I’m glad.” Taehyung murmured, before they settled in a comfortable silence, holding hands as they sank into their own thoughts. A rapid knock startled them, and they let go of each other, just as Hoseok walked back into the room.

“Yoongi and Jungah just got back, our cue to leave, Taetae.” “Right.” He nodded, standing up, helping Junghwa to her feet after. With a small smile, he pulled her into a hug, one she returned hesitantly but with equal caliber.

“Don’t you worry about me, okay?” Taehyung whispered so that only she could hear. “Taetae’s gonna be just fine.”
“You’d better be, .” Junghwa snickered, patting his back gently. They finally let go, before Hoseok picked her off her feet into a tight embrace.

“Junghwaaaa, Hobie is going to miss you~” He cooed, and Junghwa smacked his head, laughing as she tried to wriggle out of his grip.

“Hoseok, let go-” Junghwa giggled, just as two other figures appeared at the doorway, looking inside with interest.

“Oh, what a lively bunch.” Jungah teased, and Yoongi, who was right behind her, gave everyone a small smile, eyes lingering on Junghwa for a bit longer before he turned his attention to Taehyung. Junghwa, who was put down then, noticed Jungah holding onto Yoongi’s wrists, and her smile faltered, chest hurting. It was probably just friendly on his side (he even looked slightly uncomfortable but that might have because of Junghwa…), but Jungah, she was so sure her sister had other intentions. She wasn’t sure if she was okay with that. Okay no, she was not okay with it.

But she couldn’t say anything in front of the rest, especially not in front of Taehyung, given what had happened not too long ago.

“Hello, Jungah..?” Hoseok asked uncertainly, he hadn’t seen enough of her before. Jungah nodded, a small smile on her face.

“Hoseok, right? Then you must be Taehyung… hair…” Jungah looked at Taehyung, who seemed slightly startled at being recognised.

“Ah, nice to meet you.” Taehyung slowly smiled at her.
“I see you’ve already met Yoongi.” Hoseok nodded at the pair, noticing how Jungah seemed to leech onto the green haired male.
“Ah, yeah, of course, funny enough, he helped us with our stuff when we came, the lift broke down…” Jungah chuckled. “Funny way to meet someone, I guess?”
“Sounds like one of those sappy romcom ways to meet someone.” Taehyung chimed in. Jungah nodded appreciatively, as she giggled an excited “Right!” to him.

“Well, Taehyung, best get going.” Hoseok nodded urgently, and Taehyung nodded, following him outside the door.
“I’ll drop you off downstairs.” Junghwa followed them, and soon noticed that Yoongi (and Yoongi alone, thankfully) trudged behind them, walking outside the door with the three friends.

“I’ll tag along too.” Yoongi nodded, and Taehyung eyed him suspiciously, but didn’t say a word as the now party of four proceeded to the lift. It was a slow ride down, but soon they made it to the ground floor, thankfully the lift not breaking down. Hoseok and Taehyung stepped off the lift, waving back at the pair who smiled in farewell.

As the lift crawled upwards, however, luck was not on their side.

“.” Yoongi growled as the lift came to a standstill; it had broken down once again. “ing .”
“That’s a lot of s, Yoongi.” Junghwa chuckled as he rapidly pressed the button to one of the floors, hoping that somehow, it would start working.

“Yeah… well, we’re stuck.” He sighed, leaning against the closed doors. “Damn, they really need to fix this elevator…”
“Mmhmm.” Junghwa hummed back, switching on the flashlight of her mobile phone and shining it on her face, though she could see Yoongi’s face in the strong light as well. He seemed to freeze for a moment, before his tongue sneaked out, trailing his lips, before he looked away forcefully, sighing heavily.

“Yoongi…” Junghwa whispered, and he looked at her again, noting how her brows knitted together with concern, but he also noticed the way her straight brown hair fell across her shoulders, her pretty lips slightly parted, and her hazel eyes staring into his, the sight before him so pure and so untainted and he wanted it.

His legs worked faster than his brain, and he quickly strode over to her, making her gasp in surprise as he pushed her against the wall, before bending down a little to kiss her, biting into her lip. Junghwa blinked, but immediately melted into his mouth, showing no signs of resistance. Her heart was hammering against her chest so heavily she was scared Yoongi could hear it, but he showed no sign of it, as he continued to kiss her, tongue moving across her lower lip and asking for entrance which she so willingly gave, gasping into his mouth.

He hummed a little, playing their tongues as his hands began to wander, moving along her arms, sliding under her shirt, feeling the soft skin of her stomach with his fingertips. Junghwa made a small noise, leaning into his touch, her mind hazy and filled with the scent of his cologne, breathing in his entirety as he was doing with her. Her hands too moved to Yoongi’s waist, holding onto his shirt tightly, pressing herself against him as much as she physically could.

Just then the elevator started up, and the lights came back on. Yoongi slowly pulled away, the both of them panting, breaths mingling as they looked at one another with surprise, and slight horror.

“Oh, crap,” Yoongi sighed, his head falling on her shoulder. Junghwa blinked, but before she could speak a word, a weak “Sorry…” left his lips, and anything she wanted to say crumbled in that moment.

The elevator stopped at the third floor, and Yoongi immediately withdrew himself, trying to make for the doors despite it not being his floor.

Junghwa grabbed his hand, managing to stop him, and he glanced back at her. Her grip on Yoongi’s wrist tightened, and she looked at him pleadingly.

“Yoongi…”

He shook her hand away, before stepping out of the elevator, feeling his heart break into a million pieces once again.

Junghwa bit her lip as the doors closed and the elevator started moving upwards, and she sighed, allowing a single tear to escape and roll down her cheek.

Okay, that ending ed me up too, do you hear me scream?
Okay, but I really am so sorry it took me almost six to seven months to update. Most of you will remember in the the last update how I opened up about my anxiety and depression... well, in the last few months it escalated to levels beyond my control, and I suffered from a lot of emotional abuse and stress and everything just was so overwhelming and with several breakdowns and panic attacks later, I turned to counselling and antidepressants to make myself better.. it took a long time but I am slowly recovering now. Depression and anxiety on their own are horrible enough and having the two together is a horrible experience and I don't wish it on anyone. There were plenty of instances where i just wanted to leave and go away and well... I won't lie I have been very tempted, but thankfully I am still here, breathing and living and feeling so much better about myself. I'm not a hundred percent there. But I know that no matter what I will be okay. And I want to thank each and every single person that stood by me through this tough period in my life and continue to support me no matter what. And thank all of you too, for being so understanding and patient.