Chapter 3

l'âme sœur

It was finally Christmas Eve, but that didn't stop the both of them to run off to their secret lake. Everything was frozen. Even the lake was solid as ice.

"Look! A Shooting Star! Let's make a wish!" Minseok jumped with glee.

They both held hands, closed their eyes and made their wish.

"I hope we both reach our dreams." Jaemi whispered.

"I wish Jaemi & I become best friends forever." Minseok smiled looking at the eager Jaemi wishing.

"Are you done?" Minseok smiled.

Jaemi nodded eagerly.

"Now time for the fun part! I got you a gift!!!" Minseok handed her a tiny box.

"I made you one myself!" Jaemi threw him a paper bag.

Jaemi opened the box, it was a silver necklace with a heart as its pendant. It was simple yet beautiful. It was her first necklace ever, thats what she remembers. It was the same necklace she admired when the both of them ran off  to the mall last month. 

"I can't believe you got me this!!! Its so pretty! Thank Umin!!!" She hugged Minseok with glee.

"This costed much, didn't it? Now I feel bad about my gift." She frowned.

Minseok opened the paper bag and saw a beanie. He wore it and it was a perfect fit. He looked at it once again, it was the his favorite sweater. He smiled.

It looks like Jaemi has sewn his favorite sweater into a beanie. The last time he remembered,  he cried when he was about to throw that sweater out, he had out grown it making it too small for him. He even cried when the other kids were asking if they could have it. It was the only cloth he had that he knew was his. It was what he wore when the accident happened.

He looked at Jaemi's hands and saw scratches from sewing. She honestly wasn't good at it. His hard work paid off. He helped the orphanage's driver to clean the his car everyday to pay him. Seeing Jaemi's effort for the gift made him smile.

"Thanks Jaemi! I love it!" He hugged his new beanie.

Jaemi smiled at the sight.

Though it was simple, both could say it was a merry christmas after all.