The Beginning of Something

Secret Santa

               It was the beginning of my loneliness, every morning I got up and fed my cat, Violet. She and I have a very close bonding, I tell her everything. My apartment was like my dream house, I love the color blue or sky blue with matching white. The best thing as an author is that I can do anything, I get to do work at home at my own pace and things are relaxing.

 

             “Violet, do you have any ideas for my book?” I lay beside her, Violet was only busy playing with her toy. I sighed and sat back at my desk and blurted out ideas. Should I watch a movie? But with who?

 

              There was one in my mind, Soyu. My best friend since kindergarten, we both love singing and dancing but I was more on the writing and journalism. I called her to meet at our usual place, a coffee shop she owns. That place is amazing, it was like where I could stay and smell all the coffee.

On the way there, I didn’t notice the light turned red until I heard like I just hit someone. I froze at my seat, my eyes wide open staring blankly to the abyss. After that, I stepped out of the car and saw a guy, kind of my age just lying on the ground holding his knee.

 

              “Oh my, mister, I am so sorry. I didn’t see you.” I kneeled down to him. He was groaning in pain.

“Well, I didn’t hit you that hard.” I said, sarcastically. He glared at me. “Daehyun? No way. Come, I will send you to the hospital.”

“No need, I’m fine.” He tried walking out the pain, “See? I’m good.” He then showed me that he was really fine.

“Well then, great to hear that.” I continued going to my destination. I am currently freaking out, I just hit my crush. Jung Daehyun, tall, dark hair, great smile and amazing eyes. I remembered the first time we met. It was in school, down the hallways.

 

------------

                Back in 2012, I just transferred to a new school. Usually, I would always sit in the bathroom and cuss that I have no friends that kind of stuff. I had a rough day at first, this girl knew that I was having a crush on Daehyun because I met him first and asked him directions. She saw me talking to him and then suddenly I was in her death note.

 

          “Min Gaeul, who say you can talk to my boy? You little rascal.” She held my wrist. I let her go, she doesn’t know who she was dealing with. I was very good in taekwondo and judo.

“I was only asking for directions.” I rolled my eyes and walked away. She sprint towards me and blocked my way, “Excuse me? If we’re going to the same direction…”

“Shut up! Don’t talk to him again!” she cut my words off and whined. Begged me not to talk to him, tables were turned when she started talking about how great her life is and then seconds later she doesn’t like her life because of a significant. I patted her and slowly, quietly walked away. I found that very interestingly strange.

 

------------

 

                I was on my way to school, I parked my car and went straight to my classroom where my best friend was at.

“Hey Soyu,” I greeted.

“Hey, come, sit! I have a very important announcement to make when the class starts.” She cheered.

I sat at my usual spot, I noticed that there was an empty seat beside me. I wonder why. The teacher, Misses Kang finally entered with a smile of her face. Daehyun then came in, he was always late as always and sat in front of me. I didn’t want to look creepy or anything but I just leaned a little bit to the front and placed my hand on my chin, he looked so dreamy, even from behind.

 

               Ms. Kang then stood in front of the class, she wrote on the board ‘Secret Santa’. Everyone looked at each other, what does it mean?

“As you can all see, I wrote on the board Secret Santa. I will explain to you what it is but first, there is a transfer coming. He stayed at Busan for a couple of months and I want you all to be nice to him. He will be here any minute now.” Said Ms. Kang as we all waited for the new kid, a few minutes later, he finally came in. He looked lost, like he was in a new world where zombies were infesting.

“There he is, everyone meet Bang Yongguk. Again, be nice to him.” Ms. Kang showed his seat, which was beside me. He looked alright to me, his style was geeky, ginormous glasses, polo shirt, jeans and sneakers. Not bad for a smart pants.

 

“As I was saying, Soyu, would you please explain what is on the board?” said Ms. Kang. Soyu walked up to the front all smile and held up a piece of paper.

“Okay, as you all know Christmas is coming, 3 weeks from now FYI. The school has come up with a spirit week or whatever they call it. It’s called Secret Santa.” She paused, “I have already written all of your names and put them in this box I am holding. I will be going to you and you have to randomly pick a paper and that will be your partner.” She first went to the last row beside and slowly going to the back, passed by Yongguk. Hope she didn’t forget to write his name.

 

              It was now my turn, I hope, I freaking hope I would get Daehyun so I could buy him the greatest gift ever. He wouldn’t see it coming. I reached my hand and into the box, I stirred the papers and got one. I had a great feeling about it.

I immediately open the paper and it said BANG YONGGUK. My smile turned upside down and looked at him, he was gave me a slight smile as I scoffed. Great, I have to spend the rest of the day with the new kid. “Oh, last thing. You have to discuss about the presents for that someone today and within one week, there will be free period specially for us to give the gifts.” Said Ms. Kang, last minute as the school bell rang indicates that it was now lunch.

 

             My partner was not Daehyun!! I looked at the sheet of paper that Soyu gave to me and it said my partner for the Secret Santa is anyone but Yongguk. Great, I could rot myself in snow. My partner was Yongguk and Secret Santa was Yongguk! Two in one!

 

To Be Continued~

 

Jung Soojae~