ELF status: VIP

Drabble.

[ELF status: VIP]

it's a drafty, but sunny day as i departed the airport and headed into Seoul, South Korea. the autumn leaves scattered the path as i observed my surroundings, capturing the sights and smells of how different or similar the city was compared to the American cities i had visit in the past. the only pleasant difference was the welcoming smell of, possibly, an udon and spicy rice cake vender aligned somewhere nearby.

my mouth was salivating and it was very tempting to ignore the minivan and driver waiting for me to board as he continuously waves a flash board to get my attention: VI-ELF.

[very important ever lasting friends]

first time ever to land and explore South Korea, my home land, and i'm forced to follow a celebrity's schedule. why? because i have to meet these celebrities, along with a few other lucky fans, and enjoy my days with them for a month. yay, congratulations on winning the ultimate prize, unsuspecting random American fan!

i just want food. i'm so hungry..

 

what i expected was to meet everyone at SM Entertainment's headquarters. you know, stay business but still have a friendly customer service atmosphere. what i did not expect was to be ushered into an almost cramped apartment complex with everyone shouting directions of where and when to sit. i disapprovingly pout as i check my surroundings, which caught a celebrity's attention and he responds with an apologetic smile. sighing, i regain some patience and wait for further instructions.when they finally told the celebrities and us five lucky fans to sit, two men and a woman gathered in a line in front of us. "good evening, everyone!" the man farthest to the left started. "as some of you know, i am Super Junior's manager. my colleagues, here," he addressed the other two, "will be helping me for the next month. you are to listen to them with respect and abide by the rules we will recite to you later in the evening." he paused for a moment, gathering his thoughts, and then beamed joyfully, "congratulations! you have been chosen as lucky winners to spend a month with Super Junior. during their schedules, you are able to shadow them and see all of the behind-the-scene action. during their times off, you will be able to enjoy getting to know eachother and become friends, play games, and make fun memories." a few of the girls giggled with glee. "the apartment across the way has been provided for the fans..." he droned on about upcoming appointments, shows, and how everyone will participate or be provided meals during our stay. i stopped listening and was mindfully respectful as i observed some of the members whispering amongst themselves, the staff moving from one side of the room to the other for, probably, preparation for the next event, and some of the girls giggling like excited children awaiting to open their presents on Christmas Day.

"now," i returned my attention to the manager speaking, "we will have the fans get comfortable in the apartment across the hall and meet back here in approximately thirty minutes."

the other four fans bustled forward, commenting on how the celebrities looked so much more handsome up close and personal. i hold back a sigh and follow the crowd, exiting the crowded apartment and entering a new, more spacious one, since there were not as many staff members. scanning the living room, i found the place welcoming with its white walls and dark mohagany furniture. that is, until something in the left ceiling corner caught my eye.

a video camera.

'well, of course they would.' i thought, mentally cursing about lack of privacy and not being able to walk around freely in only a tank top and underwear. i sign a 'v' towards the camera with my free hand and saunter towards an available bedroom.

lucky for me, three of the girls want to room together in one bedroom. my roommate was mindful of her space and basically threatened me to avoid crossing the line with her or my stay here will be quite miserable. i shrugged it off and replied with a simple "okay." not that i had much of a choice.

Yeri Kim was her name. she plastered posters of SungMin and the group on her side of the wall, smooching the poster face of said celebrity like he only belonged to her. too bad he's the first member to be hitched. not only that, but i don't think he'll be taking in much participation with this program aside from his already planned out appointments as a group. just my input, at least.

i was in the middle of unpacking my clothes when we were requested to go back to the other apartment for more one-on-one time with the celebrities. thirty minutes seems so short when there are things to do.

 

"who is your favorite Super Junior member?" SiWon asked. he was looking at me when he asked, but i knew he meant it to be for everyone to answer.

Yeri shouted loud and proud, "SungMin oppa!"

Mary shyly answered, "KangIn oppa."

Tina replied calmly while blushing, "DongHae oppa."

Abby responded with a perky "RyeoWook oppa!"

it took me a bit to respond. i was too amused with the difference between the four girls' tone of response to notice everyone waiting. it took Yeri glaring at me to realise i had yet answered the question. "HyukJae."

"oh! are you the same age?" i nodded, providing a polite smile. SiWon gleamed back with approval. next to him, HyukJae looked like he was either trying to keep his smile from splitting his face or forcing himself to smile from my reply. i couldn't tell.

questions from basic "what's your favorite food?" to more detailed "what does Super Junior mean to you?" were asked for a couple hours. i was last to respond to all of them because i wanted to hear how the other girls responded. by the end, most of the staff members were dismissed and the fans and celebrities had some time to acquaint with each other on a more personal level.

the girls approached the members first, grouping off into what could have been described as a fan meeting with the fans asking everything and anything for the men to answer, if deemed appropriate. i sat back into my spot on the couch and pondered what i could possibly eat for dinner. i had pulled out my mobile phone to search for any local restaurants when i felt someone sit down next to me.

"there's a chicken house around the corner that's pretty good," i recognized the owner of the voice to be KyuHyun, the youngest of the group, and glanced at him in acknowledgment. "they have our favorite spicy chicken we can order for delivery if you want."

i hummed in response, "did they have anything planned for dinner?" i didn't want to order anything if it was just for myself.

"not really," KyuHyun replied thoughtfully. "i think they said something about going out to eat since this is our first time meeting you, but i don't think they picked out a place yet."

"i'll wait then," i sigh, placing my phone back into my pants pocket.

"so," he started, "you like EunHyuk hyung, huh?" i nodded. "he seems to like the cute girly types though."

i shrugged. "this isn't my first time with one-sided affection." i was bored, hungry, and getting slightly annoyed with his tone. "i don't expect him to like me back. i only answered because it was asked."

"good thing," he chuckled. "because you don't seem to be any one's type."

that knicked a nerve, but i kept quiet. it wouldn't be ideal to pick a fight with a celebrity you just met. granted, he seemed to want to start one, but stopping before it became anything bigger made me a better person, right? 'god and goddess almighty, i ing hope so.'

he continued to sit next to me, speaking with whomever decided to bother him. i pulled out my phone again and distracted myself with a few games, zoning in and out of passing conversations.

 

by the end of dinner, i wanted to light someone's head on fire. more particularly, KyuHyun's, but i refrained and debated buying a pack of cigarettes from the convenient store we walked by along the way.

as the staff, celebrities, and fans walked by the store, i gradually slowed my pace to a halt and watched them walk away chattering happily. 'yeah, i'm going to need at least two,' i mused before walking towards the awaiting store. it wasn't like they were going to miss me. the plan for the rest of the night was to get comfortable and visit dreamland until morning.

i bought two menthol packs and a lighter and slowly made my way back to the apartment building. lighting a stick and inhaling deeply, i mentally rerun the events of the day. KyuHyun purposely kept pushing my buttons, some of his fellow bandmates pestering him to stop while some encouraged him because it was amusing, some quietly observing the scene with pity written all over their face. Yeri was ready to defend KyuHyun when i shot back a few quirky responses causing me to shut up and face the fact no one wanted to bother with how i felt. i abruptly stop in my tracks and snort in realization and amusement, "Verbally assaulted and battered. Great job becoming a victim with no probable cause." it strained my chest, so i inhaled the cancer stick deeper and breathe out slowly. i looked up to find the building i needed to go into just a couple steps away and lean against the nearest wall to calm my nerves. crouching, i inhale again and exhale raggedly. 'maybe i should just leave,' i pondered. 'i have enough money to provide myself a hotel room during the month, and i can easily find a part-time office job with my background...'

"hey." slightly startled from my thoughts, i look up to find HyukJae standing over me. my lack of verbal response must not have appealed to him. "what are you doing?"

"smoking," i reply curtly.

"why?" there was a slight bite in his tone.

"because i needed to calm down," my tone probably wasn't any better. "i'll go in as soon as i'm done." his turn to be unresponsive. "what?"

he seemed hesitant before he sighed and spoke, "don't let KyuHyun get to you. he doesn't mean any of it. he just wanted to see what kind of reaction you'll give."

"and he got it," i cut him off. "but he didn't stop after he knew the reaction. what the hell does that tell you?"

"i'm sorry if he hurt your feelings."

"why are you apologizing for him?"

"because he felt bad you didn't follow us back with everybody else."

"then he should be here saying it. not you."

"i'm saying it because i know you'll listen to me."

by this time, i had finished the cigarette and stood back up to flick it in a different direction. "why would i listen to you? because i like you as a celebrity more than i liked him?"

he paused, watching me for any negative reaction, "let's go back inside and talk about this."

i shrug and lead the way, "there's nothing to talk about."

 

the next day, KyuHyun watched me like a hawk watching its prey.

i stayed as far as i could without being scolded by staff members for lagging too far behind. minding my own business and silently cheering the group for performing well on their music stages or entertainment shows. i didn't eat much during meals with everyone because i didn't have an appetite, and as soon as we were back in the apartment, i designated myself to roll around on my bed and play games on my phone.

Yeri would occasionally walk by with a frown and criticize my behavior like i was some sort of disease, to most of which i ignored because i was drained enough to remain calm and collected. the cigarettes i bought were placed right above my head as a reminder.

around dinner time, the apartment was bustling with various questions about what to wear and how the girls should apply their make up. i admit i was a little curious, but when i saw the outfit Yeri laid out on her bed, i figured they were going to a club and opted to stay out of it.

at some point during the estrogen filled dilemma, there was a knock on the bedroom door. "Jenny nuna?"

i peer over to see SiWon silently asking permission to come in. i hummed in response.

"we're going to a party. you should get ready and come with us."

"sorry," i responded, "but i'm too tired and don't want to go." i smile apologetically and wave, "have fun though!"

"nuna," SiWon started, approaching my bed. "is it because of KyuHyun?"

i shook my head, "tired."

"you've been distant all day." he sat on my bed, minding our personal spaces.

"didn't want to cause trouble?" yes, i was possibly playing 'victim' but i really didn't feel like socializing.

his lips formed a disapproved line, but he nodded, acknowledging my answer. "then get some rest," he stated while giving me a friendly pat on the shoulder, "we'll see you tomorrow."

"okay. have fun!" i cooed as he got up and left the room.

 

i woke up with a start, slapping away whatever was clinging onto me. i ended up kicking the object away and watched it fumble about on the ground. it groaned and i frowned. "KyuHyun?"

"Jenny nuna," he slurred.

was he drunk? "what."

"i just wanted you to know," he paused with an exhasperated sigh, "i wanted you to know how sorry i am for being such a jerk." i hummed and stared. "i like you. as a nuna, of course! but i like you. and you're a lot of the guys' type."

"you're drunk," i pointed out. "go sleep."

he pouted, "you're going to push me away when i came home early just for you?"

"tell me you're sorry when you're sober. now, go sleep."

he thought for a moment and then exhaggerated his nod, "okay. good night." he slumped on the side of my bed and started to snooze.

i felt my eye twitch. grumbling about how incompetent drunks can be, i got up and prepared him a pillow and a blanket for him to sleep on the floor. Yeri might not be okay with it later, but hell, i wasn't going to drag a dead weight across the apartment, across the hall, and even attempt to get into the other apartment. sighing, i whispered "good night" and crawled back into bed.