Gerald 4

Because of You

 

I hate the fact that we only have history and lunch together. I have no idea where she is the rest of the day, and I don’t have many option. I can either leave her alone, or follow her home. I know it’s immature, but I can’t resist. I know she’ll be at her locker, and I follow her out to the parking lot, when I spot her with Erich. I am pumped she doesn’t get in the car, she walks off.

I keep my distance. I am surprised when she grabs a coffee at Starbucks, then turn toward the lake. She had no idea that I am following her, she always acts tough, and today I can’t help it but wonder what is making her cry. It feels wrong to be here, watching her now, like I am invading her privacy, but my feet feel like they are cemented to the ground. I can’t walk away. She startles me, forcing me to move, when she jumps up, brushes off her tears, and head back down to Vista.

What surprises me more, is watching her walk into the house I know all too well. My friend, Matt, just moved away, leaving the same home that she just walked into. I know it like the back of my hand, I hung out there for the last ten years of my life. I know the entire layout of the house, exactly where the bedrooms are located, not sure which would be hers. It’s getting dark outside and I can see the light go on in the front bedroom. I am oblivious to everything around me, just focusing on the passing silhouette in the window.

“Can I help you son?” He asks. I looked over to the man, driving the black BMW. “No, just thought I saw something, it’s nothing.” There is a moment of silence. “So you’re new here right?” I shove my fists into my pockets. “I mean my friend used to live here.” “Yes, the name’s William. William Chiu.” He holds out his hand for me to shake. I take it. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Chiu. My name’s Gerald.” “Nice to meet you too, son. You should get moving, it’s getting dark.” He says. I shrug. “Yeah, no problem.”

God, I hope he didn’t see me staring up to Kim’s room. I can’t be positive, but I think he might’ve. I watch him pull into the driveway and enter the garage. I can’t get this girl out of my head, and I don’t know why. There is no question in my mind, I like this girl. I have no clue why, but she peeks an interest in me that mo other girl has ever come close to.