Part 2

Sunbae's Girl

 The conference went smoother than it was expected. It was a very enjoyable event and they got to know other writers. They gained new acquaintances, which is a good thing. But Suri is not feeling too good. The whole week, Jaejoong particularly avoided him like a plague. To think that she was his assistant. Their conversation is consisted of his commands and her response.

“Suri-yah. Did you and hyung fight?” Changmin asked when they were taking lunch.

“No.” she answered. She glanced at Jaejoong who was talking with another school’s president.

“Then why is he not his usual self? He rarely laughs. He smiles just out of courtesy. It seems that he is bothered when you are around.” He said.

“I really don’t know. Before we go, we met in the library. But suddenly he got annoyed. It was the old issue. I don’t call him oppa even if he wanted to.” Suri explained. Changmin gave him a weird look.

“Seriously?” he asked.

“What?” Suri asked.

“You don’t call him oppa? I thought you were just calling him sunbae when people are around, but oppa when it’s just the two of you.” Changmin said.

“I’m not really comfortable calling him oppa.” Suri said softly.

“I’ve wanted to ask you this. Why won’t you call him oppa?” Suri was silent for a moment and Changmin was just looking at her expectantly.

“Do you promise not to tell anyone?” Suri suspiciously asked.

“So, it’s a top secret then. Let’s hear it.” Changmin snickered.

“I’m serious, Shim Changmin. If he know about this, I’m gonna throw you off the plane.” Suri threatened.

“Whoa, chill. Okay, I promise.” Changmin held out a scout’s promise.

“I like him.” Suri whispered. Changmin’s eyes went wide.

“You…like…you like him?” Changmin asked, shocked.

“Aish, quiet!” Suri clamped her hand on Changmin’s mouth.

“Ugh, are you trying to kill me?” Changmin pouted.

“Keep it between us, okay? I swear. No telling.” Suri said.

“What do you think of me, loose-lipped?” Changmin asked.

“Yes.” Suri answered with conviction. Changmin just glowered at her.

“EO! Lee Suri!” Suri faced the direction where the voice came from. She was surprised when she saw Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun oppa!” She ran to his direction.

“Wah…you’ve grown quite gracefully. Taller, too.” Kyuhyun ruffled Suri’s hair. She really holds a soft spot in his heart. He can’t help his smile when she is looking at him like this.

“Come, there’s Changmin.” Suri pulled Kyuhyun’s hand and went back to their table.

“Hyung!” Changmin stood up and shook Kyuhyun’s hand.

“Changmin-ah. Are you taking care of Suri?” Kyuhyun asked when they took their seats.

“Of course, hyung.” Changmin answered.

“Good. So, he’s not bullying you?” Kyuhyun turned to Suri and asked.

“Oppa, if he’s not a bully, then he’s not Changmin. Plus, his bullying really makes me feel like you’re still around.” Suri smiled.

“You missed me that much, huh?” Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in. Suri smiled and leaned her head on his shoulder. Changmin looked over their heads and saw a glaring Kim Jaejoong with a very dark aura covering him which Changmin can clearly name as jealousy. Changmin grinned. Now they’re getting somewhere.

Jaejoong glared at the couple. So he is her girlfriend. If he remembered it right, he is from UCLA lit club. He saw Changmin grinning at him, like he knows something. Jaejoong gritted his teeth and looked away. Changmin has a sharp intellect and a quick comprehension on things.

“Suri-ah. Do you want to come and see the sunset with me?” Kyuhyun asked Suri.

“Sunset? Sure, sure!” Suri excitedly said.

“I rented a speedboat. We can go island hopping first and wait for the sun to set. Is it okay?” Suri nodded. Then she remembered something.

“I have to inform sunbae.” She said.

“Sunbae?” Kyuhyun asked. Suri nodded and looked around the room. She located Jaejoong at the far corner, his face expressionless.

“Will you come? So I can introduce you to him.” Kyuhyun stood up and held Suri’s hand.

Jaejoong looked at the two as they approached him. His eyes particularly settled at their clasped hands. He tasted something vile in his mouth.

“Sunbae…this is Kyuhyun oppa. He’s a representative from UCLA. Oppa, this is Kim Jaejoong sunbaenim. He is our school’s literature and journalism club president.” Suri felt a tangible tension between the two men. They shook hands and did not say a word.

“Okay. Uhm, sunbae, I would just like to tell you that I’ll spend the afternoon with him. Is it okay?” Suri asked.

“Where would you go?” Jaejoong asked.

“We’ll go island hopping, according to him.” Suri pointed to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun instinctively held Suri’s hand tighter.

“Will you be safe?” Jaejoong’s voice slyly implied something which Kyuhyun immediately picked up.

“Of course she will be. She is with me, anyway. She can never be safer.” Kyuhyun’s voice was audibly arrogant.

“Really? Okay. Then I’ll be expecting her to be back here at seven pm.” Jaejoong said and turned to leave. Kyuhyun looked at his retreating figure.

“Let’s go?” Suri pulled Kyuhyun.

Jaejoong was seething inside his room.

“Aish!” he hurdled pillows to the doorway, one hitting Changmin squarely at the face.

“Hyung, what’s the matter?” Changmin asked.

“None of your business.” Jaejoong answered coldly. Changmin chuckled.

“You know what, hyung, jealousy doesn’t suit you very well.” Jaejoong glared at Changmin.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

“You’re jealous, aren’t you? You don’t like seeing Suri with Kyuhyun hyung.” Changmin stated confidently.

“I’m not jealous.” Jaejoong flatly said.

“Really? Is that why you glared at them really hard? If looks can kill, Kyuhyun hyung would be dead by now.” Jaejoong sighed. You can really expect it from Changmin to know things.

“Fine, I’m jealous. So?” He tried arrogance.

“I knew it. But, you know, if you are to compete with him, you won’t win.” Changmin’s nonchalant tone made Jaejoong snap his head to Changmin’s direction.

“Why?” He asked.

“Curious, right?” Changmin teased Jaejoong.

“I am. So, why won’t I win over him?” He sat in front of Changmin.

“Kyuhyun hyung and Suri grew up together. I met Suri when we were seven, and Kyuhyun hyung is already her protector, then. He is over-protective of her to the point that no guy ever got near to courting Suri. No one passed his tests. Suri trust him too much because he is always right in his advices. And I think, Suri is in love with him, just as how Kyuhyun hyung is in love with him.” Changmin barely contained his laughter when Jaejoong’s face darkened at the last part of his statement.

“So they are together?” Jaejoong’s voice was barely a whisper.

“No, they are not.” Jaejoong audibly breathed deeply.

“Why does it bother you, hyung?” Changmin want to catch him in his mouth.

“N..none.” He stammered at Changmin’s question.

“Really? Oh, so it will be okay if they come back here as a real couple? Kyuhyun hyung told me he’s going to ask her today. They sure will be an amazing couple.” Changmin almost laughed out loud. Oh…how nice it was to tease his hyung,

“MWO?!” Jaejoong screamed. Changmin just shrugged and went out. Once he was out of Jaejoong’s earshot, he laughed so loud he almost rolled on the floor.

“Shim Changmin, what evil did have you done, now?” Seohyun steadied the still hysterically laughing Changmin.

“Just you wait, Seohyunnie. It will be very beautiful.” Changmin chuckled.