Chapter 4

Twice in a Blue Moon

‘Are you sure it’s good idea? I mean… it’s probably better not to unnecessarily scare the pack.’ Junsu looked at their leader hopelessly. He knew that he had no say in this but damn if he wouldn’t at least try to persuade his friend to make the right choice.

‘We are all family here.’ Yunho strongly rejected the idea. ‘How can they know how to protect themselves if they aren’t even aware of the danger hanging over them? No, gather everyone because Jaejoong is going to repeat what he's just told us.’

Junsu nodded once and left the room, leaving Yunho with Jaejoong, who was seated in the far corner of the room. With great difficulty, the Alpha had managed to force the agitated younger wolf into submission and led him back to the village where the younger explained the nature of the pack currently threatening Yunho’s wolves.

Yunho was still processing the information as he sat down heavily. He kept glancing back at the younger; however, Jaejoong never stopped looking at the ground, utter exhaustion visible in his features. Now he would have to repeat the story all over again.

‘Disappointing you… disappointing the alpha is the worst feeling in the world. I regret it very much.’ Jaejoong whispered, still not looking at the older. Yunho stilled at the words.

‘You did not disappoint me.’ He finally turned around and his heart nearly contracted painfully at how small and weak Jaejoong seemed at the moment. He approached Jae and sat down in front of him. ‘You… frustrate me, Jaejoong. If I’m to be honest, I still do not fully understand you. You’ve been with us for some time now but it’s like I keep unveiling a mystery – the moment I think I finally got it, there is another layer to be discovered.

‘You did not disappoint me. I-I myself do not know what it is about you that pulls me in but-‘ He stopped to look for the right word and the door opened right then. Yoochun chose that moment to enter the room.

‘I think we’re good. Everyone is waiting so come anytime.’ He said but seeing how the younger had no intention of actually returning to the main hall, Yunho sighed heavily once again and looked at Jaejoong.

‘We should go.’ Jaejoong only nodded and followed the two out.

 

‘I know you are angry with me for not… revealing much of myself while I stayed with your pack this entire time. It was done on purpose but not with a malicious intent in mind, believe me.’

Jaejoong fell silent, trying to think of a way to explain the situation without being misunderstood. Apart from Yunho, there were several people present in the room but Jaejoong did not care for them. He seemed to be only addressing the Alpha.

‘I’m not angry, I am… I don’t really have words for how I feel right now. Shocked, perhaps. More than anything, I am surprised something like this has happened and that you take indirect part in it, Jaejoong.’ Yunho touched his shoulder, trying to ease the tension. ‘You are one of my wolves and no matter when you say now - or have done in the past -  my pack and I will stand by you. We will not abandon you. However, you must tell me what I am dealing with. Please.’ It was not often that an alpha would make a request towards an omega, therefore a few were left surprised. The dominant part was still very much present but Yunho treated Jaejoong like an equal and allowed for the other to choose whether he wanted to share or not.

Jaejoong was still clearly battling with himself but eventually began to talk.

‘I… don’t remember the exact time I found out about the prophecy. Maybe my parents took me to the witch when I was really young, or maybe they just told me. I feel like I have always known.’ He took a deep breath to calm himself down. It was painful to talk both about his relatives and the mystery he had vowed to run from, probably until his last breath. ‘At first I didn’t think much of it, I was just a kid… It was like a folk story, like many in our culture, that seems exciting but has no real influence over our lives… And then, when I turned 16, they came for the first time.’

Yunho wanted to ask so many questions about the nature of the prophecy and the identity of “them”, but stilled himself as not to scare the younger. The rest of the trusted wolves present in the room understood that it  was actually a conversation between the two and respectfully kept silent.

‘The ones that destroyed our village. They had claimed to be a nomad pack moving around the Northern territories – now I know that it was a lie. Rouges do not form packs, do they?’ He asked, looking at the Alpha and the other confirmed. ‘I should have known but my father never said anything… That day, he locked me up in the room and said not to leave for my own good. He came back home very angry. And the other wolves left.’

‘Did they come back?’

‘They came back twice and both times my father would hide me and disappear for the entire day. Then one day, an omega from my village left for the woods and never came back.’ Jaejoong’s eyes were no longer on the leader, he instead stared at one point on the floor. His mind seemed to be somewhere else entirely. ‘They found his body a week later, buried deep in the snow. I did not see it myself but somebody told me that there was not much left to look at anyway.

‘Two others had to be murdered before my Alpha told me the truth – they were all murdered because of me. Because of the prophecy that I had thought was a fairy tale. But there was apparently somebody to whom it was as real as the next thing. Worth killing for.’

Hey sat unmoved for nearly a minute. Yunho had almost lost his patience and was about to carefully probe the blond when the latter raised his head suddenly and looked him directly in the eye. It was probably the first time in his life that the brave leader from the Eastern lands felt unease that he could not rationally explain.

‘I am a sign of doom, Yunho.’ He said so quietly that the other had to bend his head lower in order to hear anything. He briefly noticed the informal tone but that was the last thing on his mind at the moment. ‘I am destined to be the downfall of any pack I turn to but one. One pack will be able to overcome the curse and unite the lands. Those rouges believe that it is their group the prophecy is talking about. But looking at it now, they might actually be one of those that have to be defeated in order to unite the four territories.’ He sighed.

‘Is that what the prophecy says? It talks about unification of our lands?’ Yunho was frowning. He understood less and less from what the younger’s tale. This was also the first time he heard about any of the legendary prophecies that were as old as time and mentioned among wolves more as a joke than anything to be concerned about.

‘It tells a story of a boy from the Northern territories, born from a werewolf father and a human mother. There has never been anyone like that but me.’ Jaejoong added, bitterness in his voice.

Yunho could understand where it came from, as mixing with humans was already considered bad luck in itself. It was also very rare and would surely draw a lot of attention, even across lands. Yunho himself was surprised that he had not heard of Jaejoong before, as half humans half werewolves, if conceived, had no real guarantee to be born. Yunho briefly wondered if Jaejoong’s mother even survived the birth.

‘I have to leave, Yunho. Don’t you see? They will come for me. If not those ones, there will be others. No pack is safe while I’m among them and I would hate myself for being the source of your pain. I’m better off alone.’

‘You can’t protect yourself, Jaejoong. You’re an unmated omega, you haven’t matured yet. Where will you go?’ Yunho regarded him for a long time, without a word. Both of them allowed the conversation to sink in.

Somebody behind Yunho adjusted in his seat and only then did Jaejoong realise they still had an audience. He ducked even lower, trying to become invisible.

‘Something doesn’t make sense here.’ The Alpha stated finally. ‘There is still something you haven’t told me. Wolves have always fought over territories so regardless of you being here or not, chances are they will come and challenge us. Or am I wrong?’

Jaejoong looked away, worrying his lower lip in between his teeth. Under different circumstances, the leader would have looked twice, maybe three times, fighting an inner battle of will, finding the sight equally as it was inappropriate to lust after. This time however, the younger’s hesitation only made the unease coiling in Yunho’s stomach stronger.

‘Am I wrong, Jaejoong?’ He repeated patiently. Jaejoong eventually looked back at him, defeated.

 

 

 

‘They are not looking for me so they can kill me. On the contrary, they want me alive. They want me mated to the strongest of them.’ It was the second time within one hour that he was telling this story but to Jaejoong, it seems no less frightening. His voice came out as barely a whisper but nevertheless, the room exploded.

‘Mated?’ Somebody shouted over their heads, as the rest of the wolves murmured disbelievingly. ‘Where’s the logic in that?’

‘The prophecy given to Jaejoong indicates that an alpha who mates with him will eventually come out as a Victor in the battle for lands that we are clearly facing.’ Yunho replied calmly. ‘The alliances, as you all know, are very fragile. That was one of the reasons why our pack set for the North last year, to help an alpha who’s allies him and refused help in times of need.’

‘So one only has to mate with Jae and that’s it?’ Yoochun frowned, ignoring disapproving glances from Junsu. ‘That’s the way to win the battle?’

‘Of course it’s not that simple, Yoochun-ah.’ Jaejoong responded. ‘In fact, it’s just a prophecy. We are not dependant on what has been said, we create our own fate. But they do not understand it. And I’m scared. At first I was only scared of being taken by them, of being tortured. Now I’m more scared of endangering you all. If it’s for you, I… I just need to get away from here, I need to run. But Alpha won’t let me.’

‘Damn right he won’t.’ Heechul agreed, his tone full of sarcasm. ‘You might not have realised this, pup, but we have all grown quite fond of you. What kind of pack would we be if we let one of our own down? I’m sure you’ve already heard Yunho say that more than once, but we will not abandon you. So don’t even try to run away because we will have to go and find you, and we don’t need any additional hassle right now.’

Jaejoong blushed. He was touched, he really was, but he recognised those words, so full of bravery, as foolish. He had seen the violence and death following the rouges’ every move and he thought that he had no right to put his new pack through all this misery.

‘But the problem remains.’ Yunho admitted. ‘As long as Jaejoong is among us, we will remain their target. Therefore, I gathered you all here to make you aware of the situation. If anyone has something to say, please do. I will carefully consider all ideas.’

‘There is nothing to consider, Alpha.’ It was Changmin’s turn to leave his chair and speak up. He had been in the room with everyone when Jaejoong revealed his story to the Alpha and even listening to it for the second time, he had not given any comment on the situation. Until now. ‘Isn’t the only available solution clear?’

‘What do you mean?’ Junsu was the first one to ask as everyone’s head flew in Changmin’s direction.

‘Let’s say we don’t believe in the prophecy. The bandits, however, do. They will therefore go to any lengths to catch Jaejoong in hopes of securing their victory. So first of all, we have to break their spirit, once and for all.’

‘Oh.’ Heechul mumbled to himself, suddenly understanding where the talk was going.

‘An alpha who mates with Jaejoong will unite the lands. I think that would be very advantageous to our pack, even if it’s just a imaginary concept. I know I would want my Alpha to unite the lands for me.’

‘Changmin…’ Growling lowly, Yunho stood up. He was growing agitated.

‘Do tell me if you have a better idea, Alpha. You have been unmated for a long time and you have not expressed any interest in anyone after.. what happened with BoA.’

‘Changmin, I’m warning you.’ Yunho snarled. Junsu put a hand on his friend’s shoulder, silently asking for his patience.

‘He is right, Alpha. Jaejoong needs protection. Unless you are planning on sending him away to another pack, you are the only suitable candidate.’ Junsu added slowly.

‘It would make a statement.’ Heechul his lips, considering the situation. 'Your mating with him would mean that we are not afraid of them. They will have nothing else to lose so they will try and strike but we will be ready and take them down.’

‘If there are any other packs aware of the prophecy and in search of peace for their lands, they would come and find us.’ Was heard from the audience.

‘Jaejoong needs protection.’ The sentences was being passed from mouth to mouth. Yunho clenched the fists at his sides, unsure of what to do. He did not feel ready or confident to take responsibility for another wolf and claim him as his own. However, they had to act quickly and he had no words against Changmin’s idea.

‘Jae, what do you say?’ Yoochun approached his friend. He was the first one to notice how uncomfortable his friend became when the talks of mating arose.

‘I am not worthy of your Alpha and it is not safe for him to mate with me. No matter the situation, mating is a serious ritual. I am not able to give so much of myself. Not when I am… what I am.’ He admitted. There was no point mentioning that his heart skipped a bit at the thought of mating with Yunho, but his wolf easily clamped at that feeling, just in case anyone around him could sense it.

‘I guess it is settled, then. The reluctant Alpha will take his equally hesitant mate tomorrow at the first sign of the moon.’ Heechul deadpanned.

‘Heechul.’ Yunho’s voice was flat, with no maliciousness whatsoever. He felt defeated.

‘Neither of you really has a choice in the matter.’ The other responded, shrugging. Yunho looked over to Jaejoong who’s blush was clearly visible even as he attempted to hung his head low. The sad part what that his friend said the truth.

But how was he to persuade Jaejoong to do what he himself had every objection to go with?

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changdeol says: Thanks for subscibing so willingly and waiting so patiently. I have no excuse as to why I'm so late with my updating, other that the school finished and I have been travelling. From now on, I will be at home so I will definitely finish both my stories soon.

This chapter was meant to be the second part of the ious chapter. As it is, they stand as two separate shorter ones. See you next week, this time for real.