(3)

Echt or Faux

 The next day had Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongin, in that order, sitting down next to each other at their first subject.  Their professor was explaining the project clearly and Chanyeol was right:  they needed stories of humanity and all.  At least that’s what Baekhyun understood; and the part where their professor said to work in threes.

“Excuse me,” the crush of Chanyeol said.  “can I work with you two?”

“Yes, of course.”  Baekhyun answered as Chanyeol looked from one to the other.  The latter merely nodded, and the trio started planning.

“Baekhyun and I will be in charge of collecting the stories and you be in charge of the output.  Would that be okay, or should I change that?”Chanyeol said to Jongin, for once acting normal in the midst of the latter.

“How will you collect the stories?”  Tanned hands weaved through platinum blonde hair, smiling at them earnestly.  “And frankly that arrangement of yours was okay to me; I was never one for talking to people.”  Chanyeol could feel his heartbeat quicken a little, while Baekhyun felt… nothing.

There was no jealousy or heart-plummeting sadness unlike yester night, just nothing—maybe happy for Chanyeol and Jongin; at least now they were talking.  The smallest of the three suddenly thought he was just imagining he felt like that.

Baekhyun flashed a smile and a wink, making Chanyeol contort his face to a disgusted one and Jongin to look at them and laugh.  “We will find ways, don’t worry.”

“Eww, Byun Baekhyun, did you just wink to Jongin?”  Chanyeol reacted then looked at Jongin.  “Hey, sorry for that—please don’t barf out your breakfast, okay?”

“Speaking of breakfast—“  Jongin started, then the sound from his stomach ended the sentence.  All three laughed, and the two best friends nodded at the silent invitation.  After class, these three walked to the cafeteria and ate.

They talked about life in general, and Chanyeol was only happy enough that he had the chance to talk to Jongin.  Or more specifically, he had the chance to hear Jongin talk because the one that was always initiating the stories was Baekhyun, the most talkative of the three.  After-class breakfasts turned to a routine after a month, the project a blur in their future.   Baekhyun decided to try and forget whatever he felt that night, four weeks ago.  But it was hard when he was always beside you.

“Hey, I have something to ask you.”  Jongin said as he took a bite of his chicken.  The two looked at him in interest, prodding him to continue.

“Are you two just best friends?”  He asked.  Baekhyun was mid-drink, Chanyeol mid-bite.  The one who was drinking suddenly sputtered out his water, some landing on the one mid-bite; the spoon clattering back to his bowl.   The two laughed so hard and so long, Jongin looked at them weirdly while they were wiping away their tears.

“What the hell, Kim Jongin—of course we’re just friends!”  Baekhyun answered, sniffing and catching his breath. 

Chanyeol had this wide grin on his face, though.  “Nah, we’re actually fiancées.”

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol in alarm, while Jongin, clearly baffled, looked back at Baekhyun.  Then Chanyeol laughed loud again, the happy sound again catching the attention of everyone in the restaurant.  They muttered apologies and continued talking in quieter voices.

“Kidding, kidding Jongin—we’re not, in any fathomable way, fiancées.  Or lovers.  We are best friends, and that is that.”

Baekhyun could feel his heart drop a little bit again and it was just him putting on his practiced smile that caused him to sustain the succeeding parts of the conversation.

That night, Chanyeol practically followed Baekhyun like a lost puppy.

“Baekhyun, please?  Let’s eat out, please?  It’s been a month.”  The taller said, poking Baekhyun’s shoulders, his back turned to the taller as the smaller smiled to himself before shaking his head.

“I’m busy, Park.  If you want, just go eat by yourself.  Or with Jongin; do you want his number?”  Baekhyun shot back as he fixed his already fixed table.

“You fixing your table clearly means you’re either mad at me or just merely avoiding eating out because you might forget your wallet again.  I swear I won’t let you forget your wallet.  Can we please just eat out?”  The older could almost hear a pout, and he turned to find the exact expression of the other, eyes pleading, cheeks slightly puffed, tongue darting out and Baekhyun could not help but have a sharp intake of breath as he realized the beating of his heart went faster, and faster, and faster as the other stared at him like that.

The —I likeChanyeol?

Pleading that his cheeks were not betraying him, Baekhyun nodded and resigned to his fate.  He was surprised when as he turned his back again, Chanyeol gave him a hug.   A back hug.

“Thank you, thank you Baekhyun!  You’re the best!”

Baekhyun wished he had a heart outside of his body so that Chanyeol wouldn’t feel his heart beating fast.  He merely nodded and grunted a “Yeah” when out of the blue the taller kissed his head and told him to get ready in fifteen.  He almost fainted there and then, his very imaginative mind thinking:

What the hell is this, a date?

The mere thought made him blush like crazy, and he knew he really was crazy.

He was crazy for liking his best friend.

As he got ready, he thought of when he started liking Chanyeol.  Maybe it was when they first met?  Maybe it was some five years ago?  Maybe—

Ugh.  this.

Now, as they entered the restaurant, with Chanyeol’s hand in his, Baekhyun felt what he felt a month ago, on the second “proposal”—his heart was beating fast, the smile plastered on his face not just put on for the show, and all he was thinking about was how soft the taller’s hands were even though he was playing the goddamned guitar every night, lulling Baekhyun further into the melody that was Chanyeol.  But of all the crushes that he had, this was the only one that had this certain apprehension to it.   Maybe it was because it was Chanyeol, for the love of everything holy—the only person who knew Baekhyun maybe better than himself.  One wrong move, one wrong blush and he will be dead, for sure.

As usual, corner table was occupied by the two, but now they were sitting in front of each other and Baekhyun was busy tinkering with his cell phone, partly to distract himself from the new-found revelation about himself and partly because someone is texting him.  Chanyeol, meanwhile, was not used to this silent Baekhyun that he was worried he did something wrong.  So he did what he usually does—this puppy-like face that made even the maddest of the mad Baekhyun sigh. 

“Who’s that?”  The younger said, his puppy-face thrown to the fire as his friend was not looking at him.  There was a hint of jealousy in those words, Baekhyun thought, or maybe I’m just imagining.  Again.  Sighing, he faced the screen of the phone to Chanyeol who read the receiver of the text as—

“Kim Jongin?  You’re texting Jongin?”

“Yes, about the project.  So shut up for a moment and let me think of what format to do, okay?”  Baekhyun purposely avoided any eye contact and creased his eyebrows as he typed a response.  After it, he took a deep breath and looked at Chanyeol who was looking at him.

“Can I have his number?”  The latter said quietly, grinning widely.  Baekhyun’s heart rate slowly went to normal with the question and he nodded, giving Chanyeol his phone.  After copying the number, they proceeded with the usual—talking random things, placing the ring on Chanyeol’s palm, thinking what if this was true—

Baekhyun shook his head and Chanyeol looked at the other questionably.

“You’re not okay?  Should we just go?”

The smaller blinked and smiled.  “No, I’m okay there was just an insect flying about.”

“I see.  I’ll just go to the washroom, okay?”  This was the standard script of Chanyeol who would then go to the counter and do just what he did the last two ‘proposals’.   When Baekhyun knew that he was a few good steps away, he buried his head on his hands and took deep breaths.

This can’t be happening. Park Chanyeol, with his plump lips and eyes that mismatch whenever he smiles.  Park Chanyeol, Yoda of the gang.  Park Chanyeol, the person Baekhyun swore would remain in the friend zone some five years ago, when he was dumped by the girl who later on had a crush on Baekhyun.  Park Chanyeol, his best friend for seven years.  Park Chanyeol, the only name that his heart was screaming now.

A hand gently landed on Baekhyun’s  back and he flinched, only to find the person he was thinking about looking at him with utmost worry.

“You don’t look good enough.  Hey, babe, sorry for dragging you out—“

“I’m okay, I swear.”  The ears of Baekhyun stopped listening when the word ‘babe’ was heard.  He did not hear the manager who said no one should take videos or photos of this event.

Chanyeol smiled and nodded, then took the full attention of the restaurant which was a basic Korean resto by going in front, taking the guitar there that was supposedly on display, and started fixing the tone.  Everyone looked at him like he was nuts but Baekhyun knew. What he didn't expect was when Chanyeol started strumming his guitar to the song that was said by Baekhyun to be the only song he would like his girlfriend (or boyfriend) to sing to him.  Or the other way around.

Chanyeol started playing La Vie En Rose.

Baekhyun's world stopped, and the only thing he could think of was Chanyeol and the song.  That song was apparently what the younger used as his background to their concocted love story.

“This was the same song that made me fall in love with a special someone.”  Chanyeol began.   “He was in the music room that time, practicing this by the piano.  You know how you would immediately wonder how a person could concentrate that much?”  The younger said, smiling at Baekhyun.  “I mean, I entered the room, bumped by several chairs, and he was still in front of the piano, singing.  Turns out he was wearing earphones.”  Everyone laughed; some sent fleeting glances at Baekhyun who was turning red by the minute.  Not because of the gazes, but because of a certain person’s smile.

Maybe this is just the first time I’ve acknowledged that I do like him.

“I was caught by the melody of his voice that matched the melody of my heart that was screaming out his name.  I- I was out of love for so long, I forgot how to; until I met him, that is.”  Chanyeol said as he tried singing some verses then chuckled.  “I guess I should ask someone’s help to sing this with me, yes?”   When everybody nodded and faced the direction of Baekhyun, he placed his hands on his face and peeked through his fingers, triggering a chuckle from everyone.  Chanyeol gestured for him to come, even momentarily stopping so that he can hold his hand out.  Resigned, the smaller slowly stood up.  Everyone clapped and cheered for them, and when the older finally held the hand of the younger he was surprised at how cold the hands of the other were, even though he was still smiling.

“Lee Jong Soo, will you please sing this with me?”Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun nodded and cleared his throat.

As Chanyeol strummed the strings again for the intro of the song, Baekhyun composed himself and tried to remember the lyrics.  He had no trouble for it was one of the songs that he loved the most.  As the verse started, he was lost in the music, in the memories, in the person beside him that was playing it so wonderfully.  Luckily, everyone was listening intently with no one remembering to take videos or photos. 

When they came to the chorus, Chanyeol just stopped playing.  Baekhyun acted as if he did not know what was happening, even looking at the other with a worried look.  When he lifted his head again, the younger had tear-filled eyes and a quivering mouth.

“Lee Jong Soo,”  Chanyeol started, putting down the guitar gently, “you have been the music in my life.  You have given me wonderful melodies that I can take part in, and in the ups and downs of the piece that is life you have been the constant one.  I love you, JongSoo, and I will never get tired of saying that.”

Baekhyun’s heart thudded faster, as if the speech was meant for Byun Baekhyun and not for Lee Jong Soo, whoever that guy was.

Chanyeol kneeled and produced a small ring with an engraving of the treble sign in it—it was Baekhyun’s; their standard ring for every ‘proposal’.  Everybody gasped in surprise, some standing up and craning their necks to see it.

“Jong Soo, babe, will you do the honor of completing me in being my husband?  Will you marry me?”

Electricity ran through Baekhyun’s veins as these words were said.  His voice was just the right amount of sweetness and tearfulness.  But Baekhyun needed to keep the act, even though he wanted to strangle Chanyeol and say that Im Byun Baekhyun you idiot and I love you—

“Yes, I will marry you.”

These words were what Baekhyun blurted out instead.  Chanyeol fitted the ring into the finger of the other and was smiling widely when he hugged his older friend.  Cheers were heard and loud claps came from every side of the room.  There were some who whistled and some who cheered at them.  Baekhyun was grateful that Chanyeol was not seeing his face; he thought he looked like a tomato.

They were busy taking in the congratulatory messages when a woman, about thirty, went to their table to congratulate them.

“Excuse me; I would just like to congratulate you two on your engagement.”  The woman was teary eyed.  Baekhyun quickly looked at the fingers of the woman and saw that there was no ring.  “I—I also would like to say that—that you two reminded me of my own life story.”

“What happened, ma’am?”  Chanyeol blurted out much to the surprise of Baekhyun.  Before he could recant, however, the woman looked at them with much thankfulness that there was nothing the smaller could do but to stand up and offer his seat, taking the seat beside the taller.  Chanyeol immediately took hold of Baekhyun’s hand, making his heart race again like crazy.

“I—I was engaged to be married some ten years ago.”  She started, wiping her eyes.  “This was to someone I just met, to someone who I knew does not love me.  He was three years my junior.”  She stopped, looking at the two with a nostalgic expression.

“I loved someone else back then, and there was no way he could pass the standards set by my dad as a friend, let alone a boyfriend.  He was someone that made me feel like I was free, even just for a while.   He was my escape from the world.  And the most interesting part was his name was Jong Soo.  And he was a singer.”  She looked at Baekhyun with such interest that he suddenly became conscious.  Chanyeol, on his part, held the other’s hand tighter than before.

“He- We did not have a proper closure.  The day before my wedding, he came and told me that if I was to follow my heart, then we should get ready to leave.”  She sniffed a little and the two were surprised at the sudden plot twist.  “I- I was afraid of my parents, but moreover I was afraid of his safety.  So I said I can’t.  That was when we last met.”  The woman said, wringing her hands tightly.

“So, I just wanted to ask you-“ she looked at Baekhyun, “-are you, by any chance, his son?  Are you Jong Soo’s son?”

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol and smiled apologetically at the woman.  “No, ma’am, I’m Lee Yun Ho’s son.  I’m sorry, ma’am.  But if there’s any way we could help you find—“

“No, no—I was just curious.  If there’s anything that I’ve learned in the years that I’ve lived, it was that even though he might have had a family now, or if he was waiting for me, or anything like that, I will still love him with the whole of me.”  She nodded and the two asked if they could know her name as well as take a picture with her.   When they did so, Chanyeol blurted a question again.

“So, what happened to your marriage, ma’am?”   The woman smiled and nodded.

“We did marry.  But things don’t always work out the way we wanted to be.”  She smiled and bowed, saying that she needed to be home by ten because her daughter would be waiting.  As she walked away, Chanyeol noticed the look on Baekhyun’s face.

“Hey, Baekhyun.”  The taller nuzzled his nose on Baekhyun’s hair and whispered.  “It’s okay, that’s just how love is.”

The smaller stiffened at the touch and all he wanted to do was to make Chanyeol stay where he was, right there, nuzzling his nose in the other’s hair.  But as the woman said, things don’t always work out the way they want it to be.

They were walking home, still hand in hand, when out of the blue Chanyeol asked, “What would be Jongin’s favorite chocolate brand?”

The smaller’s heart that was racing like crazy stopped and slowed down like it was already tired from chasing someone that was miles away.

"That's so conventional, Chanyeol. Seriously; are you going to ask me what his favorite flower is?”  Baekhyun said.  He untangled his hand from the taller's and placed it in the pockets of his sweatshirt, hoping that the warmth from the other's hands would stay in his hands.  He marveled at how now, every touch, every word of Chanyeol sent electricity down his spine.  Or maybe, he was just that unaware.  But now, it was all he could do not to stick to Chanyeol— the one thing that was irritating him when the taller did the same.

"Yeah, you're right."Chanyeol said as he let Baekhyun walk a few steps in front of him before trapping the smaller in his arms for a back hug.  They walked- no, the right term would be waddled- back to their dorm.  "I still forgot to thank you for everything."

"Eh?" The smaller said, stopping.  "You don't need to thank me—"

"No, Byun Baekhyun. Thank you for bringing Jongin in my life.  If not for you, I might not the courage to talk to him. So for that, thank you.  You really are the best!"  Chanyeol gushed, ruffling his friend's hair before releasing him from the hug. Baekhyun pouted, puffed his cheeks and fixed his hair, then the two went back to their dorm and slept the remaining hours away. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you o u o Thank you for the support you have showed my fic omf really.  No sarcasm.  Promise. /nods;

Although.  Although I want you guys to comment what you think of it.  I want to hear your comments about it, where should it improve, what you guys are expecting that would happen.  Silent readers are a no-no. heh.  It's already the third chapter and I've already penned the fourth, so if there's anything you guys want to see, just tell me.  Comments are really, really loved.  I'm not kidding.  I'll answer them one by one.

Hearts to everyone! < 3