If I Was Your Girl

What Keeps A Smile
Jongin watched every roll of every muscle in his body through the mirror of the buzzing practice room, sweating profusely without care. The aching agony of his lower back screamed at him but he didn't stop. The bass pumping harshly continued to drive into his very bones, going along with his carefully sculpted expressions as he executed the dance without flaw.
 
Perfection. Kim Jongin needed to be perfect in order to reach his goal — debut. It was his dream in life, the reason he danced so passionately in every evaluation. Without his fiery need to be the damn nearest thing to perfect, he had no dream. Now, what's a man without a dream? What's life without a dream?
 
"You've improved." 
 
Jongin jumped in slight shock at the voice, putting his personal performance to a halt as he turned to the intruder smiling at the entrance. A grin broke out across Jongin's lips, "Hyung," the boy bowed deeply, "I didn't notice you." 
 
Said person could only chuckle, rushing to pause the music before sighing loudly. "Take a break, kid. Today's your day off isn't it? Although, I can't say I'm surprised to see you here." 
 
Jongin only managed a shy smile and a timid mumble. 
 
The two fixed themselves on the floor, sitting lazily as the younger worked to catch his breath between gulps of cold water. As soon as he did, he fell on his back and made a desperate attempt to not wince at the dull throb circling his waist. He failed, though, because his instructor noticed anyways.
 
"You know, as much as I appreciate your hard work, your body needs to be in one piece. Take care of yourself." The well-built man shot the boy a worried look.
 
"I've been taking care of my body just fine," Jongin argued, sitting up with a barely suppressed groan. "Besides, I need to be better." 
 
"Ah, is that so? Last time I checked, you were the best in the class." 
 
Jongin only grinned bitterly, dropping his head just a bit to leave it hanging as he thought. The best? He didn't feel like the best. There was so much he needed to work on, so much to do. He only had so much time before the next evaluation passed by.
 
After a few moments of comfortable silence, the younger felt a reassuring hand land on his shoulder. "Try resting on your day offs from now on." 
 
A deep sigh. "I will," Jongin lied.
 
Through the 18 year old dancer's time as a trainee, he didn't really have time to think about girls or maintaining a relationship. So when his friend Oh Sehun invited him to a Girls' Generation concert after a day of practice, he found himself being a little too indifferent. 
 
"Uh, I don't know," Jongin derived an awkward laugh from the depths of his throat, "Maybe you should ask someone else?"
 
Sehun rolled his eyes at his friend, giving the latter a light-hearted punch on the shoulder. "Yah, Kkamjong, just go. You have no idea how hard it was to get my hands on this so don't even think about turning it down." 
 
It probably was pretty hard, Jongin thought to himself, feeling a pang of guilt course through his chest. Pondering for a bit, the dancer decided what the hell? He owed Oh Sehun from the last time he saved his anyways. 
 
"Fine, I'll go. But only if you keep your girly screams to a bare minimum. Last time you've ever fanboyed about anything, my ears bled for a week." 
 
The concert happened a week later. The two got there about an hour early, but the stadium was already more than halfway filled. And Sehun must've had amnesia over the past seven days because he was already screaming his lungs out.
 
Not being able to take much more, Jongin landed a smack on the boy's back. "Shut up." 
 
Before the other could retaliate though, eyebrows twitching in annoyance, the stadium dimmed and the stage lights brightened as a screen glowed. 
 
A video was playing and nine goddesses walked with the music. It took a second for everyone to realize it was the intro.
 
The glow sticks of the many fans who have arrived rocked back in forth in the air, pink flashing as it proudly accompanied their excited screams. It must be starting, Jongin thought with a disinterested sigh.
 
That sigh was caught in his throat, however, when a girl with long, elegant dark brown hair and deep dreamy eyes pulled the air out of Kim Jongin's lungs. 
 
Let's just say that his mouth played "If" for the rest of the night until Sehun was the one shutting him up. 

 

JESMINE'S NOTE. 
sorry for the short update gah but, what do you think so far? I know that kaiyul is yet to meet but please be patient because the story's only beginning. besides, what fun is there in a story if you just jump to things? ;c and if anyone's wondering, or don't know - "IF" is the song Yuri did for her solo in some of the snsd concerts.  WATCH IT IF YOU HAVEN'T BC SHE'S BAE.
 
bye guys! i'll update soon, but for now . . comments are loved! i wanna know what you think.