Chapter 24

A Band of Brothers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~ Heechul’s POV ~

 

I arrived at the dorm late one night from vocal practice at the studio. I wasn’t with the other members since I had a different schedule from them. Almost everyone in the group had dance and vocal practice this whole day but I didn’t joined them since I fixed some things in my university. Upon debut I surely can’t attend classes so I need to finish stuffs before that happens. I wasn’t the only one, in fact everyone in the group has this dilemma but at least for me and Jungsoo – as the oldest among them – we had only few things to accomplish.

 

I closed the front door of the apartment and went directly to the kitchen. I had my meal a few hours ago but I felt hungry now so I think I’ll eat a midnight snack. I’m glad the manager didn’t stay with me because he had stuffs to do in SM. They’re really busy and amused me that they still had to work at this time.

 

A faint light glows from the kitchen and upon reaching it I saw someone sitting by the table. I went near and recognized Ryeowook who was busy reading a book. He might have noticed that someone was staring at him since he turned around and saw me.

 

“H-hyung...” he stuttered as he didn’t expect to see me. He was about to stand up and bow to me when I stopped him. He was the last to join us and he had been working hard to fit in the group. The younger dongsaengs had already opened up to him but to the older ones he’s still careful that he might do something wrong. That explains the amount of formality in the way he greets us.

 

“Don’t. Continue what you’re doing, I’ll just find something to eat since I only arrived now,” I said opening the fridge to look for leftover food.

 

“Actually...about that hyung... I saved your dinner since I didn’t saw you around a while ago,” Ryeowook said going to the counter and coming back with a bowl in his hands. He gave it to me with a small smile. The food was still warm and I figured out that he reheated it before I arrived. Staring at him as he went back to his seat to continue studying I felt like I need to warm up to this kid. He diligently obeys the hyungs and wakes up early to cook for everyone of us since he arrived. He didn’t need to be told as he knew what he can do as the maknae in this group.

 

Sitting on two seats away from him I stole a few curious glances towards him. Five books were placed on his right while he currently reads the sixth book with a frown on his face. I heard from Yesung that he had been staying late at night to study and I realized that Ryeowook was in his final year in high school. He will have his examinations in a month and that explains why he had been burying himself in his books.

 

I remembered my own exams almost five years ago and it was really hard. Its the most important exams in someone’s lifetime since you need good results in order to be accepted in a decent university. I slaved myself for nights and it wasn’t enough though I’m not yet a trainee at that time. Looking at him, I felt bad that he had to endure it for the sake of his academics while doing his career.

 

The awkward silence in the kitchen continued as I finished eating my meal. I put the bowl on the sink and instead of staking it there until someone cleans it, I purposely washed it. I turned to Ryeowook who was still immersed on studying, an idea hit me.

 

I went to the cabinet and started preparing milk for my dongsaeng. I feel thankful for him and I admit that I’m impressed on how good his cooking was. Maybe its the time to dismiss our awkwardness between each other and start working like brothers. I placed the glass of milk beside him and he looked at me questioningly.

 

“My sister used to prepare milk for me when I was little,” I simply said to him. Its still awkward and as he stared at me in surprise I looked at the floor suddenly embarrassed. In the corner of my eyes I saw him smile.

 

“Thanks hyung,”

 

I pat his shoulder lightly and turned to exit the room. Surely he caught my sincere intention by that. I’m not good in expressing my emotions and that is what makes other people afraid of me. Only those who knew me longer could understand how I express my care for others.

 

 

* * *

 

~ Donghae’s POV ~

 

Eunhyuk and I excitedly tried the clothes assigned for us by the stylist noonas. We are having our first photo shoot for our first album and everyone is smiling in happiness and excitement. The stylists had fixed our hair that most of us had grown for weeks. My hair now is slightly grayish and it will stay like that until the promotion for our debut single ends.

 

“You look cool with your hair styled like that,” I commented staring at Eunhyuk’s hair. He slightly touched it afraid that he will ruin it and the stylists will get mad.

 

“I’d never styled my hair like this. I feel like I’m now confident to perform in front of many people,” he said leaning on the mirror to stare at his reflection. I laughed; tempted to but I don’t want to ruin his good mood so I’ll save it for later.

 

“You look happy with your hair... I feel different with mine though,” I said brushing the bangs that fell on my eyes. Eunhyuk turned to me and inspected my hair like what the stylist noona had done earlier.

 

“It really looks different from your normal hair but you will get used to it,” he said as he pulled me to sit down on the chair while he fixed the back of my head. “Celebrities tend to change their hair color a lot of times in their career.”

 

“But don’t you think I look older with this color? It looks like I had my grandmother’s hair!”

 

“It looks blonde when the light shines on it, you see...” Eunhyuk slightly angled my head to the light and somewhat I became less bothered by my hair.

 

“You look cool and more mature with your hair Donghae,” Kangin joined us in the changing room along with Siwon and Kibum. “Fans will notice you more because of it.”

 

“I agree. And also Heechul hyung. I think the stylists mistook him for a girl. His hair is too long isn’t it?” Siwon said crossing his legs on the couch. 

 

“Don’t let him hear you say that or else you’ll earn an enemy,” Kangin warned. “Even without the hair Heechul like look like a girl. Look at his actions.”

 

“Stop it hyung. You don’t know if he’ll pass by,” Eunhyuk said. Kangin just shrugged but stopped talking altogether. Instead, he went in front of the tall mirror to fix his clothes.

 

I looked at Kibum who was quietly sitting beside Siwon. “Why does your hair looks normal Kibum?”

 

“They can’t do anything with his hair since he is still in high school,” Eunhyuk said.

 

“What’s the point? The school does not allow colored hair? He can change it back to black though,”

 

“Yeah but the company had already pleaded to the school management to allow me and Ryeowook to go to class even with long hair. They can’t add another offense to that,” Kibum said.

 

“Its okay. You will graduate soon and you can do anything without breaking rules,” I smiled. “How is your preparation for exams going? Its hard right?”

 

“I study at midnight when all of you were asleep. And yes its hard...sometimes I feel sleepy and want to just lie down on the bed but I have to do this for my parents.”

 

“Oh I remember myself exactly last year we were like that too. It that your examinations will coincide with our debut. We get busier as the d-day approaches,” Eunhyuk said.

 

Our conversation was interrupted when one of the staffs called Kangin to come out. “Kangin you’re next. Fix yourself quick and get ready.”

 

The photos were being taken according to our age so it will take a couple of hours before my turn. I might just stay here and chat with the others while waiting.

 

 

~ Sungmin’s POV ~

 

I sat on an empty chair as I watch the photographer snap photos of Kangin hyung. He smiles naturally at the camera and I wonder how he feels comfortable with posing in front of it for the first time. However I was reminded the its not really his first photo shoot, that applies to majority of us. Some of us had already experienced it at least once from our previous project groups that had failed. Well, in this one our debut is one hundred percent sure so no one will be disappointed this time.

 

Earlier when our manager picked us up from the dorm to the studio, he instructed us to put a smile always and be comfortable in the set. He said that a camera will be roaming around the set to film the behind the scenes of our photo shoot. He also said that we need to be prepared at all times in case the camera staffs approaches us for some interview. Leeteuk hyung had already memorized his speech as he will be the one to introduce our group and each one of us were all excited and nervous to speak in front of the camera although it will not be aired live.

 

I looked around to spot the camera man and soon I saw him going for Ryeowook, our shy and quiet maknae. I stood up and decided to approach him. Perhaps he needed someone beside him to guide him.

 

I saw him smiling shyly as the camera awkwardly focused on him. I crept behind him before jumping on the scene and hugging him.

 

“Ryeowookiee...” I smiled at the camera. “He joined us recently so he is really shy,” I said pinching his cute cheeks. He just keeps quiet and awkwardly looks away from the camera. I feel like laughing at his cuteness but I had to say something decent since the camera was still focused on us. “My dongsaeng is so cute right? He trained for a short time so he is catching up with us. He tries really hard though.”

 

A few more talks and smiles were made before the camera finally leaves us and Ryeowook turns to me with a worried frown on his face.

 

“Hyung I don’t think I can do it. I’m a shy type person how can I able to act comfortably when someone’s watching me?”

 

“I used to be afraid of people too but I think I got over it when I had that drama of mine,” I said. “But you’re not alone Ryeowook-ah...I’m still nervous for our debut, its just that I’m trying to hide it.”

 

“How? What if I stutter when I’m being interviewed? It will be embarrassing!”

 

“You will not. Just relax yourself and since you’re a vocalist I think they will make you sing more and let the hyungs do the emcee thingy.” Ryeowook’s worries were still visible on his face so I have to think of something that will calm him. His hands were ice cold when I touched him.

 

“Look if you are really that worried then you should stick beside whenever possible. Or if not then find a hyung you’re comfortable with and stay beside him. Strangers can be intimidating; I know that so you should be with the people you know best.”

 

“Thanks hyung. I really appreciate your help since the day I met you,” he smiles warmly. Even if the manager hyung didn’t ask a favour to help Ryeowook adjust to the group I woul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter