Baby Steps

A Warm Cup of Happiness

When Luhan's phoned buzzed it was already past midnight but it didn't really matter since Luhan couldn't fall asleep. When he heard the text notification he nearly fell out of bed while trying to grab it in his room's complete darkness. A smile appeared on his face when he saw an unknown number.

Are you asleep?

Without wasting a second, Luhan typed his reply faster than he ever thought he could type.

I said call me, not text me.

A few moments later his phone started ringing and when he picked up, he felt his fingertips trembling.

"Hello? Luhan? Can you hear me?". Xiumin's voice was barely audible over someone's loud laughter from the other side of the line. But Luhan still got butterflies in his stomach when the boy said his name.

"Yes? Xiumin? I can't hear you very well, someone next to you is making too much noise".

"Chanyeol, would you SHUT UP?!", Xiumin yelled and Luhan heard a loud thump, accompanied by Chanyeol's small, whiny shout.

"Don't hit my boyfriend!", another voice shouted and for some reason, it felt vaguely familiar to Luhan.
"Get away from me, I'm trying to talk here! Yes, hello? Luhan?". Xiumin's desperate attempts to quiet the other two down made Luhan laugh.

"Yes, I'm listening. Where are you?", he asked and immediately regretted it. He didn't want to seem clingy, this time, he wanted to take things slow and enjoy every moment. Thankfully, Xiumin didn't mind the question, in fact, he didn't mind it at all.

"We're just closing up and then we'll head to Chanyeol's place. Wanna come?"

At that time, a million things went throught Luhan's mind in a matter of seconds. His parents were asleep and he'd have to sneack out, something he had never done before. It was a Thursday night and he had school the next morning. He didn't know where Chanyeol's place was and he didn't know who else was going to be there.

"Sure", he replied. "Wait for me at the shop". As longs as Xiumin is there, he thought, I have nothing to worry about.

When he arrived, Xiumin was waiting for him outside the closed shop with Chaneyol and-... Wasn't that Sehun's friend, the one from two days ago? If Luhan remembered correctly, his name was Baekhyun. So that was Chaneyol's new boyfriend? As he was approaching them, he suddenly started  to feel uneasy. He had a bad feeling about Baekhyun's presence, like something bad was going to happen because of him.

However, all of that vanished when Xiumin, pulled him into a long, deep kiss instead of greeting him, something that made Luhan happier than words could ever describe.

"Get a room!", Chanyeol snorted and wrapped his arm around Baekhyun's shoulder, emphasizing their height difference. Luhan laughed at the thought that next to the three of them, Chanyeol looked like a giant.

"Look who's talking", Xiumin replied and rolled out his tongue.

"Oh yeah!", Chanyeol suddenly remembered and turned at Luhan. "We've never properly introduced ourselves! I'm Chanyeol, nice to meet you and this is my brand new, amazing boyfriend, Baekhyun", he said and forced Baekhyun into a polite bow by pushing his head down.

"Your shameless bragging never ceases to amaze me", Xiumin said while smiling. "Come on, let's go, I don't want to see the sunrise from here".

Luhan feared that there would be a weird tension between them and at first, he was right, but later on he found out that no matter how awkward a situation is, Chanyeol's theatrical reactions combined with Baekhyun's snarky comments would never fail to light up the mood. And when Xiumin decided to grab his hand and intertwine their fingers, Luhan swore things could not get any better for him.

He had a million things to worry about. His parents finding out that he sneaked out of the house without permission in the middle of the night. Baekhyun realising who he was and telling something to Sehun that would perplex their situation. Getting seen by someone from school, roaming around on a Thursday night, holding hands with a guy.

But for some reason, even though he aknowledged the existence of these problems, he couldn't care less.

About half an hour later, the arrived at Chanyeol's apartment and it was surprisingly clean. Luhan expected to find a pile of dirty dishes in the sink, a bunch of laundry laying on the floor and probably the faint smell of something rotting but the small flat was the exact opposite, all tidy and neat.

"What do you want to eat?", Chanyeol asked everyone after they all sat down in the living room.

Xiumin snorted. "Why do you even ask? I'm sure that the only thing you have in your fridge is tomato sauce, you always forget to go to the market".

"We can always just order a take out", Luhan suggested and took the money he had saved out of his pocket.

"Easy, rich boy", Baekhyun laughed, "Not all of us are attending a private school".

"You're going to a private school?", Xiumin asked surprised. "Do you wear uniforms and stuff like that as well?".

"Okay, keep your erted thoughts to yourself", Chanyeol said and playfully punched Xiumin's ribs. "And stop badmouthing me in front of my boyfriend, you're making me seem like a useless idiot".

"But you are-...", Baekhyun started saying but Chanyeol leaned torwards him and after kissing him, he whispered something in his ear that made the boy fiercely blush.

"I went shopping this morning", he informed the other two while smiling proudly. "Name the dish and I'll make it!".

When Xiumin left Luhan's side to help Chaneyol prepare the pizza, his worries started flowing through his mind again. Being left alone with Baekhyun reminded him how delicate the situation actually was and he didn't know what to say or how to act.

"I remember you", Baekhyun finally said and broke the silence. "Sehun still has your photos in his phone so I recognised you".

"Oh". Luhan's pulse suddenly increased. What was Baekhyun trying to say? And why did Sehun still have their stupid selfies? Luhan had deleted every evidence of Sehun's existence from his phone and laptop, thinking that the blonde would surely do the same, since he seemed to have moved on weeks  before their actual break up.

"He also talked to me about your relationship". Baekhyun was staring right into Luhan's eyes, making him feel like he was trapped in a situation that he couldn't escape. "I know he was an and yes, you were probably right to turn down his apology but, in case it makes any difference, he really is sorry. I'm not telling you to forgive him or anything", the boy rushed to explain nervously, "but I think you should know that he was honest with you".

Luhan remained silent for a while. "Thanks", he finally said and smiled at Baekhyun, who seemed as relieved as himself, "I'll keep that in mind".

Chanyeol's shout made them flinch in surprise. "Baby, come and help us, we need someone to cut the peppers!".

Baekhyun cringed and turned to Luhan. "Did he just call me "baby"?".

"I think he did", Luhan laughed. "Come on, let's make ourselves useful", he added and stood up.

"I need to have a serious conversation with that idiot about limits", Baekhyun murmured and run his hand through his hair, making Luhan think that his slighlty blushed cheeks were adorable.

As they were entering the kitchen, the boy realised, he was whole heartily enjoying this unexpected turn of events and when he faced a smiling Xiumin with flour on his hamster like cheeks, his thoughts about Sehun completely disappeared, leaving him with just a warm, fuzzy feeling of happiness.