Moving on

A Warm Cup of Happiness

Luhan couldn't properly explain it but for some reason, he managed to open up to Xiumin suprisingly fast. Once he started talking he couldn't stop, the memories of both the good and the bad were overflowing him with a cocktail of emotions. He told Xiumin everything; how Sehun first approached him during middle school mistaking him for a girl. How he started bullying him because of his looks, how he finally admitted that he didn't actually hate him but liked him instead. How the two of them managed to find a balance after months of tears and fights and how that peaceful period of time was the happiest time of Luhan's whole life.

And lastly, how Sehun slowly started distancing himself from Luhan when he got bored of their quiet, peaceful everyday life. "He was never really the quiet type", Luhan explained when Xiumin tried to object. "He pretends to be really calm and reserved but the truth is, he loves dramas and adventures and tension when I can barely stand them. I guess I should have foreseen the outcome, our characters just didn't match at all".

"How did he break up with you?", Xiumin asked.

"He didn't. I broke up with him". Without realising it, Luhan had a bittersweet smile as he was wiping his tears. "I told you, right? I'm the quiet type, I want a simple, peaceful life and Sehun was constantly ruining it for me. So when he cheated on me, that was the final blow. But who knows, maybe if I had the guts to chase after him, we'd still be together and I wouldn't have to be as pathetic as I am now".

Xiumin slightly tilted his head confused. "Pathetic? How are you pathetic?"

Luhan laughed, more at himself than at the question. "I got so jealous when Sehun told me he had a boyfriend that I couldn't bear it. I told him to off and now, it turns out that I screwed up the only chance we had of actually clearing things up, fair and square".

When Luhan stopped talking he felt as if his whole body and soul had been thoroughly cleansed. The problem with Sehun still remained but for some reason, it now felt so much lighter and... insignificant. Xiumin remained silent and he looked like he was seriously thinking about Luhan's problem, searching every bit of his brain for some good advice, not knowing that the timid boy with the brown curls already felt more than grateful.

"No", he finally said and flicked Luhan's forehead. "You shouldn't even consider getting back together with him. You were an idiot for accepting his feelings in the first place. If you forgived him or tried to reconcile you'd deserve any amount of pain you've felt so far".

Xiumin's harsh reply made Luhan's eyes widen. "Now now", Xiumin tried to sound a bit nicer and tapped his shoulder, "don't take this the wrong way, it's just a stranger's opinion after all. It's just that you looked so lost in your memories and so sad, you reminded me of Bambi".

"Bambi...?", was all Luhan managed to mumbled.

"Yeah, you know, the deer. All cute and innocent. You're can't stay like that forever though, if you do, the story will just repeat itself. Wake up and fight for yourself just like you did this morning". Xiumin spoke with a gentle voice, being careful not to insult him and Luhan was thankful for that because he was finally able to realise that Xiumin was absolutely right. He was being so passive the whole time, easy going, in a desperate effort to avoid all sorts of quarrels.

"What should I do?", he asked, hoping that Xiumin wasn't tired of him and his stupid problems.

"I can't tell you what to do". The boy's reply made Luhan slightly disappointed. He was willing to make a serious effort torwards self improvement but he still needed a little push, maybe a starting point. It wasn't that he didn't believe in his own abilities. The uneasiness in his heart was caused by the fear of starting over, the fear of something new. And he wasn't used to someone like Xiumin either. How could a person be so understanding and supportive with a complete stranger? How could he be so gentle and harsh at the same time?

"However", Xiumin continued, "I can offer you an option. Come here again tomorrow and I'll make you coffee, on the house".

Luhan smiled and waved his hand. "Thanks but I don't really like-..."

"It'd be best if you stopped drinking bubble tea for a while". Luhan couldn't read into the waiter's mysterious grin.

"Ordering the same thing over and over again... If you only stick with one option you may never be able to find something different, something new that is actually way better than what you used to have."

Luhan got this strange feeling that the boy with the mischievious smile wasn't talking about beverages anymore. His heart started beating harder and harder, making him desperate to hide his blushing face. Was Xiumin really filrting with him?

At that moment, Chanyeol's laughter filled the shop, interrupting them. The tall guy with the pointy ears was carrying an obviously displeased Baekhyun in his arms, like a bride.

"You stupid giant!", Baekhyun was yelling, "Put me down!".

Xiumin hieved a deep sigh and stood up. "Excuse me", he whispered in Luhan's ear, "I have to babysit".

"I'll see you tomorrow!", he shouted while running torwards Baekhyun to stop him from biting Chanyeol's nose off.

When Luhan left the shop his mind was still full of Xiumin's advices. He carefully analysed every word, trying to reach a conclusion, to make a final decision about his future plans. He kept thinking and thinking while walking back home and without realising it, the words in his head slowly started taking Xiumin's shape and before he could stop himself from getting carried away, he had already imprinted the boy's playful hair, gentle smile and puffy cheeks in his memory.

"What is wrong with me", he whispered.

"I'm supposed to try new things, not people. Come on, Luhan, focus!"

But no matter how much he scolded himself, it was too late. The harm had already been done.

Xiumin's touch and glimmering, slanted eyes didn't leave his head until he fell asleep.