Five

Perfectly Insensate

 

“Oh… How nice to have you girls company my Seungwan once in awhile.” A bright cheery voice greeted them as they made themselves comfortable on the couch.

 

Joy flashed her adorable smile, “Yes Mrs Son. Thanks for having us over.”

 

On the other hand, Seungwan felt like puking rainbows. Seulgi grabbed a cushion and was clinging onto it. One of the reactions of extreme aegyo overdose. Oh no...

 

“Aw…” The old lady cooed, “What a cutie. Why can’t my Seungwan be just like you?”

 

Joy was still smiling, “It’s okay. I provide enough sunshine for the three of us.”

 

“Ohhh what a charming young lady!” Mrs Son chuckled while heading to the kitchen, “Can I get you girls a drink?”

 

“Some sodas would be nice, Mom!” Seungwan called out, “Thanks!”

 

Joy’s smile vanished like a switch that has been turned off, “So?”

 

“What?”

 

“Well, ask her about it.”

 

Seungwan nodded stiffly. She had memories of her childhood that was for sure… She had memories of her entire life just fine. So why was it only that particular incident that she can’t remember?

 

“Gosh… She’s going to freak if I ask her like that...” She groaned inwardly.

 

“Let me do it then.” Seulgi rolled her eyes.


 

Right on cue, Mrs Son had appeared from the kitchens with the maid carrying a tray, “Here my dears, have a drink.”

 

“Thank you.” Joy took up the glass with a light smile.

 

Seulgi took up her own glass purposefully, “Mrs Son, we were just teasing Seungwan about her figure. Did you know she’s really popular at school?”

 

Mrs Son’s hand flew to instantly as she tried to stifle a chuckle, “Oh my, does my Seungwan have suitors?”

 

Joy grinned cutely, “Seungwan unnie has plenty of suitors.”

 

“So we were wondering how she got such a great figure like that because she was being so modest about it.” Seulgi chuckled.

 

Mrs Son ended up with a hearty chuckle, “Oh my Seungwan was a chubby kid to begin with!”

 

“Was she?” Joy snickered and threw a hidden smirk towards Seungwan who nudged her back.

 

“I would gladly show it to everyone if I had the pictures. Sadly, we left everything back at Canada.”

 

“Ah…” Joy concluded, “It’s okay. I rather look at the prettier her one then!” She grinned and threw a cheeky wink.

 

The old lady chortled happily and left them after mentioning something about having to catch her drama series. Seungwan fell back against the couch with a tired face. She felt Joy’s fingers intertwined with hers and smiled at the younger gratefully.

 

“No pictures huh…” Seulgi breathed out.



 

***



 

“So it’s true that you went to Canada for your high school.”

 

“Yes. That part is true. I have Canadian friends to prove it. Though, I don’t really recall them all that well. It’s all a little vague.”

 

“Vague?”

 

“I think the accident sort of dulled my brain.”

 

“Well, don’t become stupid.” Seulgi laughed.

 

“I’m still the smart-assed Seungwan you all know!” She countered, but then pouted, “Do we really have to go to class on a Saturday?”

 

“It’s for revision. You’ve been missing too many classes.” Seulgi chided again.

 

Seungwan sighed, “Fine.”


 

They entered the class and seated themselves somewhere towards the back. The lesson got boring and Seungwan was on the verge of dozing when she felt a nudge at her side. There was Joy’s mischievous face.

 

“What do you want from me?” She muttered.

 

“Pay attention!” The younger hissed.

 

“I’m really sleepy…” She sighed, “Gimme some sweets. Gosh…”

 

Joy knocked her head playfully and placed a candy bar in front of her. She cheered and unwrapped the wrapping, making several heads turn in her direction. Joy face palmed while Seulgi hit Seungwan’s head with her pen.

 

“Ahem… Miss Son. If you need to freshen up in the bathroom, please do.” The professor was kind.

 

She awkwardly nodded and ate the candy silently. Joy had her hands in front of her face, but she could tell that the younger was trying not to laugh out loud. She took up her pen, thinking that taking some notes down would keep her awake.

 

A sticky note was stuck onto her book.

 

She blinked. It was in the shape of a heart.



 

Seungwan unnie hwaiting!

<3


 

She stared at the note…


 

***



 

A sticky note pad landed on her desk.

 

She looked up to see the person who dropped it there. That smile again…

 

“Look inside.” The girl whispered with a shy smile.

 

The note says…

 

Yesterday was fun


 

She blinked at the note and looked back at the girl, who was now pouting slightly. The girl reached out for the sticky note pad and began scribbling something on it.

 

She watched curiously.

 

Another sticky note landed on her table.


 

It was my first time having fun like that


 

She felt her own hands flip to the next sticky note pad and began to write.


 

Don’t let them bully you again


 

She threw the sticky note pad over.

 

The girl looked at the note pad and began scribbling again.


 

They won’t

because you’re there with me


 

She felt herself blushing upon seeing that note. She looked at the soft brown orbs of the girl and wrote something more beneath that note.

 

Surprising herself when she saw what she wrote...


 

Where do you stay?


 

The sticky note was returned again with fresh writings. She picked it up to read.


 

Why?


 

She felt her own eyes roll.


 

To send you home

Duh


 

The reply came along with a soft giggle which made her heart jolt involuntarily.


 

I won’t tell you

because if I do then you’ll be stuck to sending me home

forever



 

***


 

Oh but...


 

“Unnie!”

 

Seungwan sprung up from her seat and grabbed her pen which was rolling to the side.

 

Joy laughed, “Oh my gosh you were sleeping in class!”

 

“N-No I wasn’t!”

 

“Yes you were.” The younger reached out a finger to swipe gently across the bottom of Seungwan’s lips, “There. Evidence gone.”

 

“Y-Yah. Don’t do that so suddenly.” She handed Joy a tissue but the younger had already started walking off, “Come on, Seulgi is waiting outside.”

 

“Yah… Wait for me at least…” Seungwan sighed while throwing everything back into her bag.


 

Forever…


 

The dream she had…

 

Was it real?

 

The face of that very same girl filled her mind. She felt her face heating up, recalling the dream.


 

Doesn’t seem so bad...



 

She didn’t even get to know her name.