Feelings

Deal Breaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

When Dara told CL and Minzy about helping Luhan, they were not surprised. It's almost expected of her once she's convinced by Bom.

 

CL leaned closer to Dara, audible enough for Bom and Minzy to hear. "How was the study session yesterday?" There was a hint of teasing in there.

 

She didn't answer at once. Her expression remained blank. She knew they'd ask. But she's not certain if it's a good idea to tell them. She'll never hear the end of it. Honestly and plainly with disinterest, she answered. "Awkward, what else." 

 

As much as possible, she didn't want to talk about it, just so she could pretend the whole arrangement wasn't real.

 

Unfortunately, it was. Because Luhan smiling at her from across the noisy cafeteria was a blatant reminder that they were now "sort of" friends even though they were not. 

 

She quickly averted her eyes, pretending not to notice the smile directed at her. How it kind of brought a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. A very familiar one. She wished it would fade, the same as the small but knowing smile on Bom's lips which she caught before focusing on her half-eaten sandwich.

 

 

"Wae?!" Dara had to know the reason why she was assigned to the restaurant and why she was never going to assist in the bar unless instructed. Did she do something wrong? Will she be fired soon? She couldn't remember any incident that could result to such instruction.

 

Still thinking of a possible reason why she was reassigned, she didn't notice Kris coming towards her. Her mind was busily computing how much she'd earn. One thing is for sure, it'll be less. She really needed the extra salary.

 

Kris waved a hand in front of her face when she didn't even move, an indication she was deep in thought. She looked like a beautiful statue with a far-off gaze. He chuckled at her spacing out. For the third time he called her name. It took three times before she realized he was there. 

 

"Omo! What are you doing here Kris-ssi?" She wanted to slap for asking. Of course he was probably there to visit his Uncle. But then his uncle was away on a business trip.

 

"I'm here to check on you," he said nonchalantly.

 

"Mwo?!" Why would he do that? Was she being monitored or something? Did some of her co-workers complained about her?

 

Before her worries overflow, Kris admitted that he was the one who had suggested that she should be assigned at the restaurant only.

 

Dara's lips formed into an 'O' before she had the courage to ask. "Why would you do that?" She could not think of a single reason why he would.

 

"Because the bar is no place for someone like you. Let's not wait for some incident such as some drunk wanting to hold your hand and kiss you to happen again," he said like some overprotective boyfriend. 

 

She gaped at him. How he knew that one incident she never ever wanted to think of again, she could only guess. Maybe he read the incident report at his uncle's office. But that was a month ago! It was no big deal.

 

The big deal here, how was she going to earn the extra money she lost due to his— how should she call it anyway? Was he concerned about her welfare? That couldn't be it. Maybe he did that because he was concerned about the business. That would be the most logical reason, she concluded.

 

"I'm doing this because you helped Luhan," he explained as though he have read her chaotic mind.

 

Bringing up that name caught her off guard.

 

Couldn't she get some time away from Luhan? 

 

Speaking of him, they'll have a study session. He had texted her yesterday, requesting to meet-up after school tomorrow. He needed help in Math. 

 

"You don't really have to do it." She would have added that she could take care of herself. But what he said next made her frown.

 

"Ya! I'm also doing it because I want to." He didn't care if that sounded vague. He was not going to admit that he did it because he was concerned about her. 

 

Dara inwardly sighed. She didn't have to question him anyway. She should be thankful that he had somehow made that decision for her. 

 

With a sincere and warm smile, she thanked Kris. Despite the nagging feeling that she needed to find another part-time job because of what she lost from working at the bar, which has a higher salary compared to working at the restaurant alone.

 

 

The outdoor cafeteria became their study session venue. Only a few students loitered the ground yet she felt a bit conspicuous. Some passersby, mostly girls, eyed them suspiciously. She knew why. They were envious. 

 

It had been known around school that she was helping Luhan with a few subjects. To say she was unaffected by the sharp stares darted her way would be a lie.

 

Instead of thinking what would happen next to her, courtesy of the crazy fangirls, Dara busied herself watching Luhan try to answer the math equations she had constructed earlier. After an hour of discussion with him what he had found confusing about the subject, she had challenged him to answer a ten item quiz in thirty minutes.

 

Once in a while he would sigh, frown, scratch his head and wipe a hand over his pretty face. It's pretty entertaining to watch. 

 

Fifteen minutes later, he wordlessly tossed her way what looked like a lip tint. It looked new. She couldn't help but frown. "Waeyo?"

 

He didn't bother to look at her. His brows were knitted while he answered the math problems. "Your are too pale— use it."

 

She didn't know how to react. What should she feel? Insulted? Moved? 

 

She chose to be unaffected, picked the item with no intention of accepting it.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter