No way

Deal Breaker
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Please take a seat," Hyori-seonsangnim said while busily sifting through the papers on her wooden desk.

 

Timidly, with a small and nervous smile, Luhan did as he was told. Sweat was trickling down his forehead and he wiped it off with the sleeve of his shirt. He was in the middle of basketball practice when the student assistant gave him a piece of paper. The message was simple and vague that he couldn't help but feel a little anxious on the way to the office. He couldn't remember doing anything against school rules but a trip to the Adviser's office meant there is something wrong.

 

*  *  *  *  *

 

Their regular practice was thrice a week. And practice that day, coach was not around to take care of some important matters, thus Kris (captain) and Luhan (vice captain) were put in charge.

 

Ever since Luhan came back from the office, his plays had been a bit distracted. This did not escape Kris' sharp observation skills. 

 

At the locker room, the captain approached the oblivious Luhan, who was putting on a clean shirt and organizing the contents of his sports bag.

 

"Why did Hyori-seonsangnim asked for you?" It was not a loud inquiry but their teammates noticed Luhan's unusual lack of concentration ever since he returned. Instantly, after hearing the captain's questioning, the guys gathered around to hear about what concerned Luhan.

 

"I might get kicked out of the basketball team if I fail most of the subjects," he admitted. Then he heaved a sigh. He thought he was doing well in his studies.

 

"Mwo?!"

 

"I thought you're doing well?" Xiumin, who's good at balancing sports and academics, looked confused.

 

"You're too focused in basketball that you forgot about academics," Suho pointed out as if Luhan didn't know that.

 

"I can fix this. All I need is to put more time in studying." He nervously ran a hand through his wet hair.

 

"We can't afford losing you. You're one of the best players." The captain admitted while looking at Luhan, who bowed his head, embarrassed at causing a concern. It's the last thing the team needed at this time.

 

"May I suggest something?" Lay said. And they thought he was not listening since he was known for having his mind off wandering somewhere. 

 

Kris nodded. Luhan's eyebrows furrowed, hoping it's something very helpful.

 

*  *  *  *  *

 

Dara was sitting at the corner table in the school's cafeteria, waiting for her friends. She was hungry so she took a rather large bite from her sandwich, wondering where in the world were they and what's taking them so long. 

 

Her brooding and chewing was interrupted when someone cleared his throat, making her turn to her left and look up. She almost choked on her half-masticated sandwich. What was he doing there looking a little too hopeful?

 

*  *  *  *  *

 

Luhan finally worked up the courage to approach her. After talking to his friends about it, they all agreed that indeed, she's the only one who can help him with his current problem. He was planning on asking her for help with his academics. If not for the possibility of him flunking and therefore getting kicked out of the basketball team, he wouldn't dare approach her for any favors. But she was THE ONLY ONE who can help him. So he asked, "Uhm, Dara-ssi. Do you think it's possible that you can help me with some subjects?" while she resumed chewing the rather big piece she bit off from her sandwich earlier.

 

She swallowed and then looked at him, confused.

 

"Let me rephrase that," he chuckled to get rid of the uneasiness. But even before he could ask again, she answered with a firm "NO." It was the kind of answer that sounded unshakeable.

 

It felt like he was barely done confessing and she was not interested to hear him out; she rejected him without batting an eyelash. "Can I at least know why?" Besides the fact that he's curious, he wanted to know as well if she had a very valid reason as to why she couldn't help him. From what he heard, she's very approachable. She was the person who's helped other students before in subjects that they are on the verge of failing. Guess he heard wrong.

 

"I'm really sorry. But h

Please log in to read the full chapter