Chapter Three

BAKE-OFF!

During lunch, everyone in the cafeteria was talking about Bake-off. When Kris arrived at the table with a tray, his friends were arguing about what designs they thought would be best for the cake competition.

   “We are so going to be Dream High,” Baekhyun said as Kris sat down at the table/

   “Wolf rule!” their friend and teammate Suho exclaimed, jumping up to high five Baekhyun.

   “I think the cake shout have a totally Sky high look,” Baekhyun said. “Like a basketball court complete with nets and balls.”

   “With a scoreboard that shows the Wolf up over the Knights,” Suho added, reaching over to hit another high five with Baekhyun.

   Tao leaned into the table. He was eager to hear every idea and offer any inpuy he could. He didn’t want a Sky high victory either, so he was very into helping the Wolf win the challenge. “Maybe it should say something more about all of Dream high. How about a model of the school?”

   “That’s a lot of work,” Jessica said, shaking her head. She tapped her notebook, which was already filled with drawings and measurements. She and Taeyeon were taking detailed notes on everyone’s ideas. “You’d have to do everything in the correct proportions.”

   “No, no!” Baekhyun called out. He nearly jumped out of his seat. “I’ve got it. We should make a car with actual wheels so that we can roll it into first place.

   Kris dug his fork unto his pasta salad. “I don’t know, guys,” he said. “This all seems kind of hard to pull off.”

   “Don’t worry,” Taeyeon assured him. “Jessica and I can work up the measurements here on the graph paper so that the cake looks great~ and in proportion.”

   “Not to mention, steady,” Jessica added. “Baking is all scientific, you know.” She looked around the table. “We’ll have to plan out exactly how to build the structure so that it’s stable. Our cake won’t win if it’s fallen to pieces on the floor.”

   Sitting forward in his chair, Suho voiced his opinion.”Um, I’d just like to remind you all that this is a bake-off, which means the cake not only has to look good, it has to taste good, too.”

   “Suho’s right,” Yuri said as she walked over to the table. “If the cake doesn’t taste good, it doesn’t matter what shape it’s in.”

   Taeyeon giggled. “It has to be deeeelicious!”

   “True, and we definitely need a detailed plan,” Jessica insisted. “You can’t just bake a cake and hope that it turns out like what you’ve imagined.”

   By this point, Kris had heard enough. He held up his hands. “Whoa!” he said. “First, the cake is going to taste great. And second, we’ll work together to come up with the sweetest Wolf design.”

   Jessica couldn’t believe how calm Kris was as he spoke. Was this the same guy who had been paralyzed when he came face to face with Xiumin couple of hours ago? Something had gotten into Kris~ and Jessica was glad to see it. But she wanted him to be prepared. The pressure of competition could make even the simplest task seem like a challenge. “We’re talking national television here,” she said to him. She took a bite of her turkey sandwich and glanced around the table for support. “We’ve got to be the best and present a great looking cake.”

   “Exactly,” Tiffany said as she walked up to the table.

   Jessica turned to her, surprised. She hadn’t been expecting to get support from Tiffany, of all people!

   “That’s where I can be of service,” Tiffany continued. She pulled over a chair and squeezed in at the table. She grinned right to Kris. “You know, I’m a natural in front of the camera. And I’m very good at looking great.”

   Taeyeon and Jessica rolled their eyes, but Kris didn’t seem to mind the attention from his supercrush. Yuri could see where this was headed and tried to help Kris refocus.

   “Doesn’t Xiumin have another saying, ‘Dress it up?” she asked.

   He does,” Kris replied, happy that someone else watched the show. He nodded at Yuri appreciating that she had recalled one the Xiumin many famous refrains.

   Great decorating and taste are both important elements that Xiumin talks about, but he usually scores higher for taste, doesn’t he?” Yuri asked, facing Kris. “We need to really concentrate on the cake’s smell and flavor, too. Not just what it or anyone in front of the camera looks like.”

   “Xiumin often says presentation is a key part of the package, though,” Kris added. He was starting to get swept up in the frenzy. If he was going to participate, he wanted to win. He had to make sure Xiumin noticed who he was and how much he wanted to be an excellent pastry chef.

   “I second that!” Tiffany exclaimed, seizing her moment. “Presentation is so important.” She flashed a wide a grin at Kris. She could almost feel the light of the television cameras shining on her already. Tiffany could hardly contain herself. Soon she would be the star of the show, poised to be discovered. No one was going to get in her way.

   “Listen,” Kris said to his friends around the table. “Why don’t we all sign up so we have a strong Wolf team? It will be fun. With you guy behind me, how can we lose?

   “You got it!” Baekhyun cheered.

   Everyone seemed to get whipped up into the baking craze.

   “Hey, why doesn’t everyone come over tonight so we can watch a couple of episode of Bake-off?” Kris asked.

   “Like scouting the visiting team!” Baekhyun said. “Maybe there are some subtle hints that we can get from Xiumin.

   Jessica grinned at Baekhyun. “That is such a great idea! Count me in.”

   Everyone agreed to meet at Kris’s house later that evening. He was happy that his friends were excited about the competition.

   We should also go see Ms Seohyun,” Jessica said. “I’m sure she want to get the team started.”

   “Well, then,” Baekhyun said, standing up, “let’s get this baking party started.” He grabbed Jessica’s hand, and they headed for the door. Everyone at the table followed except Kris and Tiffany.

   “Come on, Kris!” Baekhyun called over his shoulder.

   “Are you headed over to Ms Seohyun’s room to sign up now?” Kris asked Tiffany.

   Tiffany nodded and smiled. “Yes,” she said sweetly.

   Kris leaped up. “I’ll go with you,” he said.

   “Oh, brother,” Jessica said as she watched them walk away. “This is definitely going to be interesting….”

   Ms Seohyun happily looked around her home economics room. She was pleased to see so many students eager to sign up for the baking challenge.

   “Please take a seat,” she said to the growing crowd of Wolf. “This is such an exciting opportunity for Dream High.” She beamed at the students. “Xiumin is a wonderful chef., and his special-location show is going to be so much fun!”

   Yuri leaned over to whisper in Taeyeon’s ear. “I think Ms. Seohyun is as excited as Kris.”

   “Almost as excited,” Taeyeon teased as she listened to Ms Seohyun go on and on about Bake-off and its latest episodes.

   “Remember, the final product is not only about presentation, but about taste, too,” Ms Seohyun said, “So make it deeeelicious!” She laughed at her use of Xiumin Famous phrase.

   “See, we told you taste was most important!”Suho called out. He winked at Yuri, her cheeks reddening as she smiled back.

   “I think the best way to handle this competition,” Ms Seohyun went on, “is to assign a head chef.” She focused her eyes on Kris and smiled. “A head chef is the one who handles the menu, organizes the sous-chefs who help prepare the food, and is responsible for the overall presentation.”

   “Kris is our man!” Baekhyun cheered.

Everyone in the room hooted and hollered. Kris was clearly everyone’s first choice.

   Kris blushed. Looking down at his hands, he tried not to be embarrassed by all the attention. He tapped his foot nervously.

   “Yes,” Ms Seohyun said. “I think Kris is an excellent candidate.” She walked over and stood next to him. “Would you like to be the head chef, Kris?”

   Not hesitating one second, Kris cried, “You bet!” his bashfulness turned into determination. This was what he had dreamed of doing for so long. Sure, he loved baking for his friends and family. But this was a chance to show off his skills like never before.

   There was another round of cheers.

   “You can all have access to this room for the next two afternoons,” Ms Seohyun said. “Everyone should go home tonight and think of ideas for the winning cake. Come back tomorrow and talk it over with our head chef.” She grinned at Kris. “Then I suggest you have at least one run through so that Kris is comfortable with the timing and recipe. Bake- off is also about strategy. Every moment counts.”

   After she had finished her announcements, Ms Seohyun left the bakers to their task and Luhan walked over to Kris. “Pretty cool, huh?” he asked. “Not only did you get to meet your idol today, you are going to get a chance to bake something for him.”

   Kris nodded. He was more than happy about this situation. He looked around the room at his friends. “This is going to be sweeeet!” he cried.

   He couldn’t wait to start planning.