Open Heart

Open Heart

Holding my head up high, even though I was dying inside, was all I can do. It has officially been two months since I heard the words, “I think we should break up…”

Though time was on my side, it was not passing by fast enough. Bracing myself, I enter the building. There they were, blissfully happy. I’ve seen her before but never did I think that she would end up replacing me in his heart. 

My heart throbbed as I plaster a fake smile on my face. “Hey Anna, see you in class.” He greeted me, with the smile that now seems to hurt more than the face he gave me when he was angry; back when we were together.

Making my fake smile larger I reply, “You bet.” I wave at both of them and walk into the classroom. I didn’t want to break down so I take steady breaths until my heart was calm.

An unfamiliar face sits beside me. “Can I help you with something?” I ask unsure about what to say. “I saw your face earlier… do you want someone to talk to?” He asks me. I look at him, why would I want to do that? He doesn’t know me, nor do I know him.

“Last chance,” he says looking at me with his deep green eyes. When I was about to deny his offer, they walk in together. “Sure.” The man gets up from where he was sitting, and I follow him out, keeping my eyes forward.

He settles us down at a seating area outside, two buildings away from my class. “I’ve never seen you in my class,” I say breaking the silence. “That’s because I don’t have that class with you. We have Biology 130 together.” He explains. I nod my head remembering now.

He looks at me, “So do I have to ask you why your face had the best fake smile ever?” I roll my eyes, and let out a sigh. “That was my ex and his new girlfriend. I’m not bitter and angry or anything… I guess you can say that I’m not exactly over it.” I frown.

A small smile forms on his face, “That’s cute.” I look at him appalled. “Cuteeeee??” I gasp unable to comprehend whey he would say such a thing. “You were dedicated to him. You were a loyal girlfriend,” he explains himself.

I look down at the table, and wipe the tears off of my face. “Thanks…” I say my face getting hot from crying. He lifts my chin up with his hand so I am looking into his eyes. “Don’t cry over another guy in front of me,” he says with a soft smile.

“I know this might be sudden and you can say no…” He says sounding almost nervous. “Will you be my girlfriend? I know that you might not be over him completely. And I’m aware of that, but I can make you happy. I promise.”

My tears stop flowing, and my sadness is replaced with confusion. “Why would you date me knowing that I’m not over my ex…?” I let out, my voice steadying after crying.

His smile gets bigger, “Because I like you a lot. And I know that I can make you happy.” It may be foolish but his eyes were clear and his voice was confident. “I’m not saying yes now, but are you willing to wait?” I ask, nervously.

“Of course.” He said getting up from his seat and hugging me from behind. My heart began to beat faster, that’s when I knew. When my heart is healed he will love me like the way I would love him. I am genuinely happy for the first time in a long time.

And this feeling will only get stronger. I get up from my seat, and we smile at one another. “Thanks for making me feel better.” I say smiling. He ruffles my hair and smiles, his eyes disappearing.

 

 

**I hope you guys enjoy this story ^_^