A Thousand

Paper Heart

After the incident, Wendy had taken the time to count the amount of cranes she had received that day. Two hundred. That made the total count four hundred paper cranes. Did that mean that she would find out who her admirer was when she had received a thousand paper cranes altogether? The questions piling up in Wendy's mind were neverending. But, unlike before, she knew she had to restrain herself. It was time to give her admirer some space. They needed a chance to finish this, and Wendy was going to grant it to them. Or well, at least she would sit it out until the end of next week. 

Friday came, but no new note, something that of course did not go unnoticed by Wendy. Her willpower almost wavered, that was, until she reread the last note she had received. They probably needed time. The weekend was coming, they probably needed to prepare. She had no idea how much work it took to fold the amount of paper cranes she had received so far, let alone the amount that was still left. For the first time since the start of this, Wendy really thought about the amount of work that went into all of this. How much time the person must've put into not only the folding of the creatures, but also the writing of the notes as well as the planning of when to plant them at all. It touched her.

Monday morning, Wendy avoided her locker, going straight to the classroom, as she always had before this whole thing started. Her gaze fell upon her friend, Seulgi, who seemed to be in a serious discussion with Soojung. That was, until she saw Wendy, causing her to pause for a second and wave at her, earning a wave from the Canadian in return before she continued her conversation. Knowing the two were probably busy, Wendy took her seat, wondering if her admirer would come through on their promise. 

During class and even during lunch, Wendy could barely control her nerves, staying out of most conversations as she couldn't get herself to focus on anything but the thought that maybe she would meet her admirer soon. After finishing her food, she quickly got up, heading towards her locker, followed by her friends, who seemed quite eager to find out what would be in Wendy's locker as well. When the four girls arrived at the locker, Wendy stepped forward, quickly unlocking it before opening the door with her eyes squeezed close, silently wishing to see paper cranes when she opened them.

"Yes!" Wendy exclaimed when she opened her eyes, finding a pile of folded creatures in front of her, a small note laying on top of them, ready to be read, something the Canadian didn't hesitate to do. 

Wendy Son,

Are you curious?
I bet you are,
You probably have that twinkle in your eyes,
The one you get when you're excited.
I love that twinkle.
I love your eyes.
They're the first thing I noticed about you,
They're the eyes I want to look into and see,
That you're just as happy to see me as I am to see you.
Maybe, just maybe,
I'll get to see that soon.

- A secret admirer

Wendy sighed happily as she read over the note again, the words on the paper making her all the more eager to meet her admirer. Her trust had paid off. She could now be at ease. Or at least as much at ease as she could be at the thought that she would finally meet them, whoever they were. The coming five days would be tense for her, in a good way. She knew that much.

____________________________________________________________________________

This was it. Today was the day. Friday morning had come and it couldn't have come quick enough for Wendy's liking. Having received notes from her admirer all week, she had really felt the tension build up. Her gaze shifted from the large pile of folded creatures, now at an astonishing count of eight hundred birds, to the notes she had collected. They had touched her so much, so perfectly the Canadian was sure by now. This has to be someone she knew, or that at least knew her well. It had to be. They were so good at melting her heart, they had to know a lot about her to do so. If this wasn't all planned, if these were just coincedences that these words were so expertly assembled to make her daydream about this admirer, she would write it off as fate doing it's work. 

Those beautiful words, phrases, written on the notes in front of her, complimenting different aspects of her. The admiration of her eyes had only been the start of it. Her voice had followed, her passion for music mentioned, the admirer's love for her singing being emphasized, much to Wendy's pleasure. But they hadn't only complimented things about her that she personally felt proud of. Wednesday's note had been about something quite unexpected. The Canadian had never been all too comfortable with the way she laughed, yet this person had somehow managed to make it sound so elegant, so graceful and wonderful. She wondered how they could see such beauty in something she sometimes felt ashamed for. But she was grateful. It had made her smile.

And there it was, her smile. The one mentioned in the last note she had received. She read over it again, displaying exactly what the admirer had been praising in their note. It was possibly the most uplifting combination of words she had ever experienced to be directed at her. That someone could feel such things just from seeing her smile, it almost took her breath away the first time she read the note. For a brief moment, after having read the note yet another time, Wendy wondered. Would she smile when her admirer was revealed?

She really wanted to believe them. Believe that it wasn't a joke, that there really was someone out there that felt so strongly for her and that actually went out of their way to plan all of this just for her. But it was scary. To trust in someone she wasn't even sure was real at all. For all she knew it could all be made up by someone. Or at least the feelings could be. But she couldn't let herself be swept up in doubt now. Not on Friday morning. The things she had read, they had to have come from somewhere. She had to trust it. Just for today. If no confirmation came that day, she would allow herself to worry. But not now. Not yet. 

And with that decision, Wendy let out a sigh, packing her things before heading off, ready for her first class, but not quite sure if she was ready for what she would possibly find at lunch, or maybe even later. 

____________________________________________________________________________

"Honestly, Wendy. Relax." Sooyoung mumbled as she calmly ate her lunch, the shortest of the four girls staring at her, as the tallest was the last one who was still eating.

"I can't. You know I can't. Hurry up, will you?" The Canadian retorted, fiddling with her fingers nervously, the anticipation seeming to be slowly driving her insane. 

"I can't. You know I can't." The youngest repeated back to her, a smirk on her face that remained even when she was shoved by her friend, who clearly had no patience for her jokes today.

"How are you even sure there's a note waiting for you?" Came Joohyun's voice to interrupt Wendy's thoughts, which had started to whirl around her head the second after she had shoved the only person who was still eating. 

"It has to be there. The others were there after lunch too so it has to be." The shortest replied, giving a determined nod, as if she could simply will her admirer into leaving a note. 

"Alright, but promise you won't kill whoever it is if they decide to wait until after school." Joohyun chuckled, shaking her head at the Canadian's impatient behaviour, which consisted of her yet again turning to Sooyoung, who had actually started eating extra slowly, just to annoy her friend.

"Come on.. Come on..-- Yes!" Wendy exclaimed, jumping to her feet once Sooyoung finally swallowed her last bite, bouncing in place as she waited for the others to get up as well before almost running to her locker.

"Seriously though, please don't kill anyone if they haven't left a note yet." Joohyun spoke up as they approached the shortest's locker, earning a chuckle from Sooyoung.

"I don't think she'll have to." Seulgi cut in, smiling as she patted the Canadian's back reassuringly, though the girl seemed to be too far gone in her struggle to breathe properly. 

"Okay.. Okay.." Wendy muttered to herself, her hand on the door of her locker, ready to open it, except she hadn't moved yet, her nerves almost getting the best of her, that was until she took a big breath, pulling the locker open.

"Holy--!" Sooyoung exclaimed, covering her ears as the Canadian squealed, jumping up and down a few times before quickly pulling the paper cranes along with the note they were attached to out of her locker, quickly unfolding it to read it.

Wendy Son,

Today is the day,
I can't even begin to express how nervous I am,
But, no matter what, I shall meet you.
You, who I've been so crazy about,
Who I haven't been able to confront,
Because you're just so beautiful.
From your eyes, to your laugh,
Your passion to your smile,
Everything about you seems to captivate me.
I have to tell you,
Show you, somehow, how I feel.
And I will,
After class.
You'll know how to find me.

- A secret admirer

"You'll know how to find me? What kind of vague nonsense is that?" Sooyoung commented halfway through Wendy's third time reading through the note, her heart pounding so much it felt like she was going to throw up.

"Oh, shut it." The Canadian snapped, her nerves causing her to be unable to stand still at this point, of course, she had just had her last piece of confirmation that this was really happening. 

She was going to meet them, finally. They would reveal themselves, after class. But, as much as she hated it, she had to admit Sooyoung was right. How would she know how to find them? No, she couldn't think like that. She had to trust them. They knew what they were doing, so she had to trust that they were right and she would know. Only a little while more and she would know. 

____________________________________________________________________________

"Go ahead, I'll fill you guys in later." Wendy told her friends, who had gathered outside her classroom after classes had finished, something they had done more for the Canadian's benefit than their own.

"Alright, don't have to tell us twice. See ya!" Sooyoung replied happily, grabbing the oldest's hand, dragging her off, followed at a short distance by Seulgi, who turned around to wave at their friend one more time, giving her a thumbs up in support. 

Wendy took a deep breath, knowing that the time had come. She was excited, nervous and scared but oh so excited. Quickly starting on her way to her locker, she turned a corner, only to accidentally knock into someone.

"Sorry--! Oh, hey, Wendy, I was looking for you!" It was Soojung, the girl who had been occupying Seulgi so much lately that it had almost made Wendy dislike her a little.

"Oh? I was actually heading somewhere--" The Canadian started, only to be cut off by the girl from California, who seemed to be very determined to keep the other girl with her and have her say.

"I'm sorry, I'll let you go soon, but first I need your help. Do you maybe have the notes from yesterday's class?" The younger of the two said as Wendy swallowed a sigh, trying not to be rude.

"Yeah, sure, you can have them." The shorter responded, quickly taking her notebook out of her bag, almost shoving it into the taller's hands, attempting to get past her, only to be blocked yet again.

"Thank you, but, when should I give it back?" Soojung asked, her eyes slightly widened, she was probably surprised by Wendy's actions, as the girl normally wasn't this hyped up. 

"I don't care. Keep it over the weekend. Give them back on Monday and it should be fine." The Canadian sighed, almost letting out a whine at her discomfort of having to wait.

"Wow, thank you--" The American started, something the other took as a sign that she could get away now and finally get to her business, the shorter quickly taking off down the hallway.

"You're welcome!" Wendy shouted as she waved at the other, almost running in the direction of her locker, her thoughts running haywire as she moved through the hallways.

Why wouldn't that girl let her go? What if she had missed her chance to talk to her admirer because of Soojung? Her thoughts were temporarily interrupted as another one cut in. What if Soojung was a part of this? What if she was the admirer and she had just lost her chance? No, that couldn't be it. Why would Soojung do this? She had never seemed that interested in Wendy at all. They were acquaintances, but that was it, nothing more. It couldn't be her. But it was possible she was in on things. Not that Wendy cared much at this point, as it was all coming to an end.

Having followed her instincts, the Canadian had almost arrived at her locker. This had to be it. She had thought about it in class. This was the only logical route to take. There would be some kind of instruction for her in her locker. A note probably. Or so she thought, until she turned the corner into the hallway that contained her locker, noticing something strange on the floor. 

A small string of folded paper creatures. Wendy's eyes widened as she realized what they were. Her gaze quickly shooting down the hallway, noticing another string, bent around the corner. She reached down, grabbing the cranes before following the trail to the corner, taking the others as she turned it. And so she followed the clues, the birds leading her through the hallways, until she turned a corner, indicated by the creatures, only to find it was the end of the trail. 

Where should she go? Did something go wrong? Was this it? Was this how it would end? She quickly counted the cranes she was holding. They were assembled in small strings of tens, except for the last one, which had nine. Why nine? Where was the very last crane?

As if to answer her question, her thoughts were interrupted suddenly by the sound of a familiar instrument playing. It caught her by surprise, causing her to perk up, having unknowingly started slouching in all her nervousness. But, this couldn't be. This song. She recognized it. 

When the wind plays jokes, hold me tight in case I fly away
You’ll be in trouble if you crumple me up like that
I may seem nice but I have a strong pride

Wendy smiled brightly. Her favourite song. Quickly looking at her surroundings, she realized the birds had lead her near the music room, the source of the music that was playing. Stuffing her guides into her pocket, the Canadian quickly followed the sound, the volume increasing as she approached her destination.

I’ve never been hurt over love or thought of anyone seriously before
So I’m serious

Just a bit more. It was right around this corner. She quickly turned it, heading towards the entrance, opening the door and almost running inside, only to find an empty room. For a second, Wendy's heart stopped, that was, until she realized there was something written on the board she was looking at.

I try to act strong on the outside but my heart is like paper
I got a Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Paper Heart 
I got a Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Paper Heart

Her eyes travelled over the words on the board, written in both English and Korean. Something about the Korean handwriting struck her. It was familiar. She knew it, but her mind wasn't working fast enough for her to put her finger on where she had seen it before. Instead, she was caught up in the meaning of the words. 

I like you so much that I’m actually a bit scared

She read them, but she heard them too. Not just in the song, but behind her. The realization startling her so much she almost tripped as she turned around. She knew that voice, she had heard it singing before. She knew those eyes that were looking back at her. She knew that nervous smile, though she had never seen it quite this nervous. And she knew those hands that were holding the very last crane. 

I got a Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Paper Heart
I got a Pa-Pa-Pa-Pa-Paper Heart

"Hey.." She spoke, The Canadian standing, stunned by the discovery that all of this, the cranes, the notes, the song, everything, had been the work of someone who she had realized she had missed so much over the past month.

"Hey, Seulgi.." Wendy replied after a small silence, the music having faded out, something the taller had probably planned for too, the thought only briefly crossing the shorter's mind as she was too caught up in the moment to care.

"Please let me do this. I have to, before I chicken out." Seulgi said, her voice shaking a little, of course she was nervous, Wendy couldn't move, she could only stare at her.

"I love you. I've loved you for a long time. I don't know when it started but I know I've known for quite a while. I didn't know how to tell you, if it would ruin things, but I had to do something. I'm sorry if this was creepy, maybe it was too much, maybe I shouldn't have dragged this on this long. Maybe I should've just told you to your face right away, but I was scared. I needed to know that those things I wrote, that you wouldn't be scared by them. And you weren't. You were so happy. And I don't know if you still are but I really hope so because.. because I want to be with you." The taller rambled, her lips a few times during her small speech, something Wendy knew was a nervous habit of the girl.

Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. She had been planning this. Soojung had helped her. That's why she had been so distant. She was working on this the whole time. She hid it so well, it would've taken Wendy a long time to notice, if she ever would have at all. All this effort, those cranes, the song, those beautiful notes. All of it was Seulgi. And now that she stood in front of her, she wondered why she hadn't known. Everything about this was so much like Seulgi.

She had always been so sweet, so supportive, yet always managed to surprise Wendy. She knew just what to do to cheer Wendy up when she was in a bad mood. Wendy felt so incredibly comfortable with her, she always had. It had felt right, right from the start. How could she not have seen until now? How could she not have seen this coming?

"... Are you disappointed...?" Came her admirer's voice, emotions filling it, confusion, fear, regret even, it shook Wendy from her trance, woke her up, made her realize that this was real, this was really happening.

"I'm sorry, it's okay, I'm fine with just being friends, I don't want you to feel pre--" Seulgi turned her gaze to the floor, Wendy could almost hear the tears in her voice, and it had broken her, caused her to lunge forward and wrap her arms around the girl, hold her as close as she could, even if it hurt, it was okay.

Seulgi had gasped, her arms enveloping Wendy in a warm embrace, an embrace she had missed so much. They had stood there, holding on to each other for dear life, as if the other would simply cease to exist if they let go. Seulgi had held on when Wendy had pulled back a little, scared by the movement, clumsy in a manner that she didn't understand what the girl she had admired for so long was trying to do, until their lips touched, erasing every single doubt in the taller's mind.

Wendy knew for sure, this was what she had been missing. Everything felt so right. Finally, everything made sense. Seulgi, how she had felt when the girl had started pulling away before, distancing herself, everything it had awoken in Wendy, it made sense. Seulgi had been the one to realize the connection was there, but Wendy had felt it just as much as she had. Dear god was she glad Seulgi had realized.

"So.. so does that mean..?" Seulgi stumbled over her words once they had parted, the tips of her ears having turned red, something that only made Wendy's smile widen.

"Don't you dare pull away from me like that ever again." Wendy threatened, causing Seulgi's eyes to widen before she gave a few timid nods, a small smile pulling at her lips.

"I love you too, stupid.." The Canadian continued, her smile breaking through the frown she had put on, a nervous chuckle leaving Seulgi's lips in response before they kissed again.

Two things were certain. Now that they knew and they had expressed it, it couldn't be taken back. Neither of them would, even if it were possible. Finally, Wendy knew who her admirer was, and in the process of discovering this, she had found out she was an admirer herself. This was right, they were certain.

As for what else they were certain of. Let's just say Joohyun and Sooyoung wouldn't ever let them live this one down. And they were honestly more than grateful for it.

____________________________________________________________________________

author's note:

Sweet chickens on a stick did I really just finish this? Wow I'm really sorry. I don't know why but I hit a huge writing block for this story right as I was about 700 words into this chapter. I wrote that part about a week after I posted the previous chapter, then I just dropped things for like forever and now I finally finished it.

I apologize for taking so amazingly wrong. I hope the length of this chapter can make up for it a little bit though I know it won't make up for it all. 

Again, I'm sorry. Thank you for reading and hopefully you all enjoyed it.