Twenty

Paper Heart

A sigh escaped Wendy's lips as she entered the room. Another early morning. Who even likes sitting in class at such a time? Wendy didn't know and she wasn't about to ask. Too much effort at such a time. Besides, she didn't believe she would get a positive answer out of anyone at this point. 

A quick glance around the room revealed a few other students already in their seats, some slumping over their desks, others staring at the lit-up screens of their phones, typing in messages to whoever it was they were talking to. Her eyes caught those of a friend's, Kang Seulgi, who seemed sleepy as always in morning classes. Seeing the girl absentmindedly fiddling with some paper, she threw her an encouraging smile, an attempt to help her liven up a little, earning a lazy but sincere smile in return. 

Looking at the seat next to her friend, she noticed it was, for once, unoccupied, perhaps because she came a little earlier than usual this morning. Whatever the reason, Wendy saw it as an opportunity to sit with Seulgi, something she hadn't had the chance to do in a while since Seulgi had grown closer to one of the few classmates they had that spoke English on a level near Wendy's, Soojung. 

Raising her almost evermoving eyebrows as her gaze met Seulgi's, Wendy tilted her head as if asking if it was okay for her to occupy the seat. Seulgi responded with a nod and lightly pursed lips as she pulled out the chair next to her, gesturing at her friend to come over and sit down. The Canadian gladly took the chance, moving over and taking the seat.

"Morning. Did you sleep well? You look extra tired today." Wendy commented as she sat down next to her friend had packed the paper she had been playing around with earlier into her bag, instead taking out the materials needed for class. It took a second for her to understand what Wendy had just said, her eyes slightly narrowed as her brain processed the words.

"What? Oh-- right. Yeah, I slept just fine. Are you trying to say something?" Seulgi replied, pouting jokingly as Wendy chuckled, raising an eyebrow as she glanced aside. 

"Maybe I am. Who knows? You don't. And you won't either." The shorter of the two spoke, sticking out her tongue at the other with a wink, to which the taller replied by sighing dramatically.

"Never mind. I don't want to sit next to you. Don't care if Soojung's ill. I'll just keep an empty seat next to me. Move." The older said, the grin on her lips giving away she didn't mind as much as she pretended to, something that didn't go unnoticed by Wendy, who laughed lightly at the other's comment. 

"You seem to be in a good mood. Anything special happen?" The shorter asked, briefly turning her gaze away, catching the teacher entering the room, preparing to start class. 

"Not really. I just feel like today will be a good day." Seulgi announced, smiling as she stared off into space for a second, to which Wendy scoffed.

"Wow, you're cheesy today. Maybe I will actually move to another seat." The Canadian chuckled, earning a glare from her friend who, fortunately for Wendy, didn't get the time to respond before class started.

____________________________________________________________________________

After class ended, Wendy headed out, accompanying Seulgi, who would not stop complaining about her hunger, something the shorter replied to by rolling her eyes. Of course, she still followed the older outside, walking to their usual spot where they ate lunch after their monday morning class. Why exactly they had taken to sitting on that particular set of benches in the first place was unknown to them. They just knew that for some reason, their friends had started joining them there. It had become some sort of hang-out spot for them in between classes. 

As the duo approached the benches, they spotted two of their friends already seated, waving at them from a distance before moving in closer, verbally greeting them this time. It didn't take long for them to sit with their friends, taking out their self-packed lunches, which Wendy set aside as she caught up with the other girls' mornings whilst Seulgi dug right in.

"Anything interesting happen in your class, Joohyun?" Wendy asked, the eldest of the four taking a second to think before she tilted her head, a somewhat difficult expression showing on her face.

"Not really? I mean, Min and some others were absent, but I heard there's flu going around." She replied, earning a nod from Wendy and Sooyoung as Seulgi continued eating, staring off into distance, completely entranced by her meal. 

"Oh, that makes sense. Maybe that's why Soojung was ill today. She's friends with Min, right?" Wendy responded, to which Joohyun nodded, Sooyoung casting a distracted look at Seulgi, who normally wasn't this quiet.

"What's up with Seulgi?" Sooyoung asked, catching the older's attention and snapping her out of her trance, causing her to look at the youngest, a confused look on her face.

"What? Oh-- Sorry, I was just dreaming off. Guess I'm tired." Seulgi shrugged, Sooyoung chuckling lightly at her reply, tilting her head.

"Is it that you miss Soojung, is Wendy really that tiring?" Sooyoung asked, receiving a light smack on the arm from the shortest amongst them, who was puffing her cheeks.

"Hey! I'm not tiring, I brighten up people's days. People get energy just from hanging out with me." Wendy said, nodding proudly at the end of her sentence.

"Really now? Amazing." Sooyoung spoke with a snort, quickly dodging the next smack Wendy threw at her before Joohyun put a hand on the shortest's wrist, trying to calm her.

"Don't mind her, you know how Sooyoung gets when she has morning class." Joohyun said, squinting her eyes at the youngest, who countered the eldest's glare by throwing up a peace sign.

"Still not used to those. Never will be either. I'll grow up to be just like Seulgi. Aren't you proud?" Sooyoung asked, turning to the female in question, who chuckled at her comment.

"Ah, yes. We're two peas in a pod. You and I, forever bothering these two." Seulgi answered in a dramatic tone, moving out of Wendy's reach before the Canadian could shove her. 

"If only we were still like that. I feel like you've replaced me with Soojung. Am I not good enough for you, Seulgi?" Sooyoung pouted playfully, which of course triggered another dramatic response from her older friend.

"Alas, it appears I have. No, I'm kidding. Soojung's more like Wendy, I wouldn't be able to form a bond with her like I have with you, my dear Sooyoung." Seulgi announced, chuckling when the Canadian rolled her eyes once more.

"Honestly, I wouldn't want to anyway. Too much drama." Wendy spoke in a teasing tone, turning away from her same-aged friend, finally beginning to eat her lunch.

"Are you saying you don't love me any more, Wendy?" Seulgi dramatically implied, throwing a mock-concerned look at Wendy, who only futher turned her back on her.

"Even worse. I never have. Who are you anyway?" Wendy replied, suppressing a chuckle as to uphold the drama, sneaking a peek at her friend, who was now clutching her chest as if the Canadian's words had hurt her deeply.

"Why must you hurt me so? This is why I'm replacing you with Soojung." Seulgi spoke, her tone changing to a teasing one in the last part after which she broke into a grin, failing to dodge the smack Wendy threw at her arm. 

"If Soojung doesn't hurt you, she doesn't know what you're like, clearly. You shouldn't hide your true self from her if you want her to love you." The shortest spoke, Seulgi chuckling as the other two silently observed the friendly banter between the same-aged friends.

"Whenever I lunch with you guys, I always somehow end up getting free entertainment. It's quite lovely." Sooyoung commented, earning a giggle from Joohyun, who nodded in agreement.

"Oh, really? Maybe we should start charging you guys." Seulgi responded, grinning widely as she stuck out a hand at the two as if requesting payment to be made. 

"This is why we can't have nice things, Seulgi." Wendy teased with a roll of her eyes, the smile pulling at her lips once again dispelling the illusion of annoyance her words had put up.

____________________________________________________________________________

After lunch, Wendy had one more class, which she too shared with Seulgi, who, along with Sooyoung and Joohyun had accompanied her to her locker, until Jinri had shown up, taking Seulgi aside to speak to her. The three of them continued, chatting on the way to Wendy's locker, which she really only used to switch materials in between classes. 

"Honestly, Wendy, you have something to worry about. All these girls in your classes trying to monopolize Seulgi. Aren't you worried?" Sooyoung teased, chuckling at the scoff Wendy answered her with.

"Don't you have something better to do? You don't even have class any more. Go play." Wendy replied, grinning lightly as they made their way down the hall, Joohyun silently listening to the two's banter, occassionally laughing softly.

"Not really. This is more fun than going home. Besides, shouldn't you be glad I'm staying? I'm doing it for you, you know." Sooyoung responded, pouting in an attempt to gain sympathy from the older girl.

"Oh, you're staying for me? Don't. Just go." Wendy spoke, stopping once she reached her locker, putting her bag on the floor before starting to enter the combination to the lock.

"Aww, come on, you know you don't want me to go." Sooyoung said, finally dropping the teasing a little, which earned her a small sidehug from the shortest.

"Of course, of course. Thank you, Sooyoung. You're very sweet." Wendy admitted, opening the door of her locker once it was unlocked, she reached down, pulling the materials from her previous class out of her bag, putting them into the locker before taking out what she needed for her next one.

"Wait-- What's that?" Joohyun commented, surprising Wendy, who gave her a confused look before following the girl's pointed finger, finding a piece of paper laying on the floor, a thread pushed through a hole in one of the corners, several small bird-like figures attached to the same thread.

Wendy's eyebrows raised in curiosity as she bend down, picking up the note, examining the tiny, folded creatures on the thread, counting the amount, twenty, before she unfolded the letter, her eyes falling onto the scribbled sentences on the piece of paper, the language in which they were written taking her by surprise.

Wendy Son, 

I can never find the words,
Find the courage to tell you,
Exactly what it is I see when I look at you.
I don't know where to start,
What part of you to compliment,
I just know I have to or I'll never forgive myself.
You're beautiful and I hope one day to be able to tell you that in person,
Maybe even hold your hand,
Maybe even more than that.
Please forgive me,
I just need some time,
For I am just me,
And you're you,
The beautiful girl that captured my heart.

 

- A secret admirer

Wendy stood frozen, confused, shocked, but also charmed and flattered. She never thought anyone would ever write something like this, especially to her, especially like this. Secret admirers weren't really something she thought about, she always assumed they didn't really exist outside of those cheesy movies, or that maybe they did but only for those really beautiful girls that later in their lives became models. The fact this person had taken the time to write this for her was stunning to her. Especially since they had written it in English, something that didn't appear easy to the author, at least that's what Wendy thought when she looked at the letters on the paper. 

"Wow! Someone likes you a lot, Wendy!" Joohyun exclaimed, having read with her over her shoulder, apparently having taken longer to understand the writing, which wasn't all that strange considering the difference in language. 

"Really? Someone likes Wendy? Are you sure it's not a prank?" Sooyoung teased, trying to take the note from Wendy's hands, who quickly pulled it from the younger's reach. 

"Hey, people can like me. I'm beautiful in case you hadn't noticed." Wendy responded, trying to make a joke out of the matter though being unable to use her usual tone, her eyes still glued to the words on the paper. 

"What's the fuss all about?" A familiar voice called from a distance, causing Wendy to tear her gaze from the English written on the note, seeing Seulgi approaching them, followed by Jinri. 

"Oh-- I'll tell you later. We have class." The Canadian answered, as she checked the time on the clock hanging on a nearby wall, her same-aged friend giving a light shrug before turning around.

"Alright, come on then. Don't wanna be late, do you?" Seulgi spoke, her voice slightly raised so Wendy could hear her without the taller having to turn her head.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." Wendy replied, putting the note back into her locker, making sure it wasn't scrunched up but propped up nicely against some books before closing the locker and heading off after Seulgi, waving at Joohyun and Sooyoung who headed off in the opposite direction. 

____________________________________________________________________________

author's note:

It's been a while, but I'm writing again. Would you look at that. I'm sorry if it's a bit long, I didn't know where to end this chapter. Don't worry though, this will be a short story, about 5 chapters is what I'm looking at right now, though it may change a little. I'm also not absolutely sure when I'll have time to update so I'm sorry if I'm gonna have to test you guys' patience a little. I promise to try my best to update as soon as possible, especially because I know I'll be a douche and never actually continue if I leave it laying around for too long.

A piece of advice for readers that want to stimulate more updates: I tend to write more easily when I know people want to read more and tell me so in a positive way. That's actually the reason I've written this whole chapter, because of a comment on my oneshot. 

Anyway, thank you all for reading, I hope you like it.